Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You could say the same thing about a guy driving a car.  He is one pissed off moment, one stupid impulse, or mental breakdown away from running over you.  Do you feel safe around dudes with cars?  Do you pay particularly close attention to car fanatics?

Cars have a use that is entirely separate from causing destruction.

19 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Cars have a use that is entirely separate from causing destruction.

Never been to H-town, eh?

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Never been to H-town, eh?

guns aren't the only thing that kills people, what about _________?

when ________ works as designed, it doesn't kill things.

insert ________ joke here.

alcohol, cars, what else am i missing?

6 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I've seen at least two people in this thread say we need our guns as a check on the government.

It doesn't matter how many or how few say it, the Constitution does seem to presume it.  I don't have any beef with the argument that technology has rendered the hand held firearm less relatively powerful, but it's still one of the more legit arguments.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:58 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Remember, these people think it's OK to write legislation telling women what to do with their bodies, but you aren't allowed to lay a finger on their self-described "inanimate objects".

So if I interpret your post correctly you are against the government running health care systems then.

7 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

So if I interpret your post correctly you are against the government running health care systems then.

What the fuck is your dumb ass blathering about? In what way is that anywhere close to the topic being discussed?

Oh I get it, you're trying to extrapolate some vague "gotcha" point based on two things that have nothing to do with each other. Yeah man you're full of good arguments and not a total dumb shit at all.

Edited by Pam Cummings

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, you made  an absolute statement rife with ignorance, wtf do you expect?

Wait so saying that cars have a legitimate use that has nothing to do with killing people is "rife with ignorance"?

Do we need to buy you a dictionary? Do you not understand what words mean?

I’m pretty good natured about the occasional jab about being from Alabama but in this context and thread I’m calling foul. And coming from someone from Louisiana.....puhfuckinglease.
Alabama is a complete shithole. Only Mississippi is worse. Louisiana had New Orleans and Cajun Food which elevates it.
  • Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:22 AM, Bama Chick said:

I’m pretty good natured about the occasional jab about being from Alabama but in this context and thread I’m calling foul. And coming from someone from Louisiana.....puhfuckinglease.

Alabama is a complete shithole. Only Mississippi is worse. Louisiana had New Orleans and Cajun Food which elevates it.

Truth

Plus, Alabama has the worst fucking BBQ ever.   Total shit. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
bbq

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Wait so saying that cars have a legitimate use that has nothing to do with killing people is "rife with ignorance"?

Do we need to buy you a dictionary? Do you not understand what words mean?

Well, if it will help you understand how to read?  Very similar to cars, firearms also have uses "entirely separate than causing destruction", which is what I replied to.  You are not going to catch me in the cars are like driving guns argument, I don't believe that.

Dynamite drop in.

I like where I live but thanks for your input.

And really, anyone living in a southern state all live in the same kind of place when you get out of the metro areas.

But by all means, I love being Texplained about someplace I’ve lived for 30 years by people who’ve maybe visited the gulf for vacation or Huntsville on business, if that.

But you’ve probably been holding onto that anger since January 2010, so I’m glad I could help you out with that.

But back to the actual thread topic - the original interviews with neighbors and acquaintances last week described him as quiet and nice and well mannered etc. What has come out about him since then?

And I’m really confused by the fact that he turned in his notice and then did this. Like, none of these shooters are ever justified but at least if there’s some kind of precipitating event you can sort of process it.

But this one is extra incomprehensible. I wonder if it’s a Whitman type situation and he had a brain tumor or something.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

But you’ve probably been holding onto that anger since January 2010, so I’m glad I could help you out with that.

You can take that shit back to the Bama boards. 

You and yours worship literally the only person slimier than Trump, Saban.

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, if it will help you understand how to read?  Very similar to cars, firearms also have uses "entirely separate than causing destruction", which is what I replied to.  You are not going to catch me in the cars are like driving guns argument, I don't believe that.

Guns were designed specifically to make killing easier. That is their purpose. It's just a bad argument to compare other things that have a purpose that makes every day life easier to guns. It's a shit take. 

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Guns were designed specifically to make killing easier.

Ok.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That is their purpose.

That is one of many purposes.  They are also quite often used for sport.  Several Olympic sports, even. 

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's just a bad argument to compare other things that have a purpose that makes every day life easier to guns. It's a shit take. 

I agreed with this up-thread.  It is a shit take, even though a vehicle makes a damn efficient killing machine.  FTR- I am all for making it more difficult (not impossible) to have either.  Too many idiots can walk into a store and buy either.  There should be a test before you can access a machine that can slam into me at 150 mph.  

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

What rapist friends did Saban help avoid bringing to justice?

Oh I'm sure there's been plenty.  You forget to log back in as Bama Chick?  

If only the libtards in Virginia had passed a law requiring all living people to carry a gun, there would have been a good guy with a gun there to stop it.  Sure, science says forcing a gun into a woman's womb might be deadly, but the fetus deserves to protect itself too and I'm sure if the woman prays enough she will be fine.  

49 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Dynamite drop in.

And really, anyone living in a southern state all live in the same kind of place when you get out of the metro areas.

But by all means, I love being Texplained about someplace I’ve lived for 30 years by people who’ve maybe visited the gulf for vacation or Huntsville on business, if that.

If you're going to trash other southern states then you better be able to handle it. I grew up and live in Georgia and I can do nothing but agree that our state is fucking garbage for the most part.

On 6/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, Grade of D as in David said:

I've seen at least two people in this thread say we need our guns as a check on the government. L O fucking L. Good luck against that Abrams tank and drone. And if you want to try and walk that back and say it's to protect us from police officers, they have is out gunned too since we offer surplus military equipment to police forces.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2017/08/31/tracking-military-weaponry-and-war-machines-flowing-to-americas-local-police-departments/#77b2db512b63

Hey dumbass, do you even Red Dawn?

• Haha 1

If you're going to trash other southern states then you better be able to handle it. I grew up and live in Georgia and I can do nothing but agree that our state is fucking garbage for the most part.

I bash Alabama all the fucking time.

For reference, please go read the Roy Moore for Senate thread or the abortion thread.

And I usually never say anything when people take their jabs, most times I play along- I didn’t appreciate it from Hugo in this thread, completely out of context, on this topic and I said so.

And I handled it just fine - I just took a jab back where it hurts for once.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That is one of many purposes.  They are also quite often used for sport.  Several Olympic sports, even. 

What Olympic sport requires a gun that can shoot 125 rounds in a minute and hold a 30 shot magazine? 

15 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

What Olympic sport requires a gun that can shoot 125 rounds in a minute and hold a 30 shot magazine? 

None. But if you’d point me to where that was specifically being discussed in this thread, I’d appreciate it. 

Hint: the latest shooting which bumped this thread won’t fit your narrative.  

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

none of those purposes are necessary unless you're in law enforcement or in the military.

but bringing up the olympics as a point is only going to introduce articles like this:  https://www.ranker.com/list/weird-events-that-were-in-the-olympics/steffi-victorioso?page=2

for those who cling to guns (of any kind) as some sort of tradition, culture, whatever you want to call it - do you think this argument will be valid in 50 years?  250 years?  forever?  things have changed an awful lot in the last 50 years.  a crazy amount in the last 250 years.  why would we, as a society, choose to evolve in so many ways, but stay antiquated with some weird gun obsession?  if all guns were outlawed tomorrow, in 25 years people would stop bitching, and in 50 years, nobody would care.

well, maybe this guy.  this guy is your representative.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/steve-king-civil-war-graphic_n_5c8ef5b9e4b03e83bdc25c86

if futuristic movies have taught me anything, it's that we'll all be shooting lasers soon anyway.

1 hour ago, UncleCharlie said:

15 seconds worth of ammo?

better than sex?

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

What the fuck is your dumb ass blathering about? In what way is that anywhere close to the topic being discussed?

Oh I get it, you're trying to extrapolate some vague "gotcha" point based on two things that have nothing to do with each other. Yeah man you're full of good arguments and not a total dumb shit at all.

Right, because abortion and women's health care are two issues that absolutely, never, ever, ever, overlap each other.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

for those who cling to guns (of any kind) as some sort of tradition, culture, whatever you want to call it - do you think this argument will be valid in 50 years? 

Without a doubt.

250 years?

Probably not.  250 years is a long way out to predict.  Or maybe they will be even popular, I'm sure we will be in a constant battle for resources at that point.

why would we, as a society, choose to evolve in so many ways, but stay antiquated with some weird gun obsession?

It's a "weird obsession" to you, as you self admittedly don't care for them.  Your mistake is thinking this is a one party issue.  There are lots of people in both camps that want to hunt, shoot clays, target shoot, and or have the option to protect themselves and their home if they were ever unfortunate enough to have to.  I understand you don't understand their feelings towards the issues, but that doesn't really change the fact it's a #bothsides issue.  Further, the fact that the vast majority of owners are responsible with them leads me to believe they will be around for a very long time.  Add to that certain shooting sports are activities of the most wealthy and powerful (you know, the ones who make the rules) and it seems all but certain they will remain available through my lifetime, and very likely my kids lives.  

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Guns were designed specifically to make killing easier. That is their purpose. It's just a bad argument to compare other things that have a purpose that makes every day life easier to guns. It's a shit take. 

They were designed to make eating easier.  It's pretty hard to convince a live deer to stand still long enough for someone to lop off enough of one to make a crockpot of venison chili out of it.

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

They were designed to make eating easier.  It's pretty hard to convince a live deer to stand still long enough for someone to lop off enough of one to make a crockpot of venison chili out of it.

the venison chili lobby.  a small, but vocal contingent.

12 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

bow hunters around the world laugh at your hunting prowess  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It's a "weird obsession" to you, as you self admittedly don't care for them.  Your mistake is thinking this is a one party issue.  There are lots of people in both camps that want to hunt, shoot clays, target shoot, and or have the option to protect themselves and their home if they were ever unfortunate enough to have to.  I understand you don't understand their feelings towards the issues, but that doesn't really change the fact it's a #bothsides issue.  Further, the fact that the vast majority of owners are responsible with them leads me to believe they will be around for a very long time.  Add to that certain shooting sports are activities of the most wealthy and powerful (you know, the ones who make the rules) and it seems all but certain they will remain available through my lifetime, and very likely my kids lives.  

i think it'll be seen as weird in the future.  likely not in our lifetimes, i agree.

i don't think it's a one party issue - and i have personal anecdotal evidence that it's not.

to me, there's just a long list of things that are necessary, and guns are not on that list.  home protection is the thing that should be listed first.  hobbies are not priorities.

the "vast majority" argument doesn't do much for me either.  (to steal from chris rock) is it ok if the vast majority of cops aren't racist?  or the vast majority of airplanes are safe enough to land?  40,000 people died from gun violence in 2017.  every year, thousands of children are victims of gun violence.  what type of number makes your vast majority argument ok?

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Dynamite drop in.

But back to the actual thread topic - the original interviews with neighbors and acquaintances last week described him as quiet and nice and well mannered etc. What has come out about him since then?

And I’m really confused by the fact that he turned in his notice and then did this. Like, none of these shooters are ever justified but at least if there’s some kind of precipitating event you can sort of process it.

But this one is extra incomprehensible. I wonder if it’s a Whitman type situation and he had a brain tumor or something.

I lived in Alabama for two years and couldn't wait to get the fuck out.  It is absolutely a miserable shithole, and I feel sorry for anyone who cannot get out of there.  But thanks for playing.

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I lived in Alabama for two years and couldn't wait to get the fuck out.  It is absolutely a miserable shithole, and I feel sorry for anyone who cannot get out of there.  But thanks for playing.

Don't you live in Texas?

Don't you live in Texas?
Yes. Grew up in Texas, though did spend 2 years in the Raleigh area while a toddler. Did stints in NOLA, Alabama, Los Angeles, Laguna Beach, and New York City before coming back to Texas. Since coming back was in South Dallas (The Woodlands) for about 4 years, then moved into the Heights in Houston have been here for more than 6 years.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so the resource officer outside of parkland is facing charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/parkland-scot-peterson.html

not sure why nobody else bumped this thread, it was all over the news yesterday.  isn't the argument that guys like this are competent enough to get the job done? 

In a world filled with critical thinkers, people would watch the footage of this dude hiding in a closet and reassess the "good guy with a gun" theory.  It would become apparent that in times of distress, even the most prepared humans can default to self-preservation mode.  The realization would occur that the best and brightest police officers aren't the ones assigned to high schools.  

Sadly instead, it's "THROW HIM IN JAIL AND MOAR GUNS!!!"

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No the argument is tens of millions of law abiding citizens should not have their rights trampled because of a select few mentally ill and evil shitheels.

But you knew that already. 

i'm talking about the solution to school safety.  i was told upthread (by others) that arming and training sentries would not only neutralize an active shooter event, but would also deter potential situations from happening.

and you should not pivot to "you can't take our guns because it's our right to own guns" as that is by far the stupidest reason to allow something.  stick with home security, or whatever.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread