Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Ken Paxton says on CNN that you have to protect yourself and can't rely on the police to get there in time...so that's something.

At least this solid patriot reminded us to remember to pray for the El Paso families.  I might have forgotten to do that on my own.  

3 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

At least this solid patriot reminded us to remember to pray for the El Paso families.  I might have forgotten to do that on my own.  

I'm not religious...any word on if I'm supposed to offer thoughts?  

17 minutes ago, Slade said:

So...when is the media going to say that white nationalism is a problem in this country and come down on the rhetoric of 45 and the trolls at Fox News? 

Won’t happen.  Republicans will immediately start up the distraction campaign in full force and in a few days, the country’s attention will have moved on to the next thing.  Just like the last one, and just like the next one.  And nobody will do a goddamn thing about any of it.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slade said:

So...when is the media going to say that white nationalism is a problem in this country and come down on the rhetoric of 45 and the trolls at Fox News? 

They won't until they can quote somebody else about it. Then they'll put that person under a microscope. They'll have a panel discuss if we should discuss White Nationalism and the White Nationalist Party (GOP) in such inflammatory terms.

They will focus on the origin of the gun, its type, and what this will do for gun control legislation.

They'll dig up scumbags so both sides can be represented thus given equal vetting and weight.

Sad-voiced anchors on TV and Radio (NPR) will tell us about the victims. Pedro always wanted to come to America. Alex was about to finish his college degree. Mary was the sunshine at her workplace.

We'll have the picture of weeping bystanders hugging.

We'll see the usual template. 

The media will have to be dragged into calling this spade something other than a shovel. 

The Trumpists will dismiss any accusation of racial politics by saying that's the ebil lib default position and never true.

The Dems will dither except for the few courageous women who are already in danger themselves.

White men need to sit on the bench for at least 10 years when it comes to running things. "Poorly run carnage fest" is how Henry Rollins described this Man's World. Virulent, selfish, rapine, and racist.

But the spiral speeds up. We're living in the movie love child of Brazil and The Wall.

It's still hard for me to believe where we got to in such a hurry. I didn't foresee anything this bad. I figured America would eventually spit out the GOP hate engine. Who would of thought that 40% would buy in? Certainly not me.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 5

I generally like Abbott.  But don't really give a shit to hear him reading from the same script that works across each state every time this happens - talking about how much we need to pray for and hug the victims and their families, and to thank the first responders.  And on and on.

One day I'd like to hear him or our next governor talking about how we no longer have to deal with these pathetic and nauseating slaughters.   Guess I'll also plan on seeing Santa Claus in late December as well, but so be it.

41 minutes ago, Slade said:

Tune into Saturday Night Politics on MSNBC in about 15 minutes. You'll probably hear it there. 

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I generally like Abbott.  But don't really give a shit to hear him reading from the same script that works across each state every time this happens - talking about how much we need to pray for and hug the victims and their families, and to thank the first responders.  And on and on.

One day I'd like to hear him or our next governor talking about how we no longer have to deal with these pathetic and nauseating slaughters.   Guess I'll also plan on seeing Santa Claus in late December as well, but so be it.

Fuck that cock sucker.

Same old shit and nothing about what he will do to prevent the next one.

Fuck him in the goat ass.

• Like 2

Oh, he has his own flair.79a1c2331b6860b0e59e5bee75e39070.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

And just remember, this rhetoric will get him elected again easily.

Maybe, but if he does win re-election, it will most likely be the last re-election win for him (and others).  The state is barreling down the highway towards flipping D and not going back, and his rhetoric is helping.

Edited by atomheartbevo

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We'll see the usual template. The media will have to be dragged into calling this spade something other than a shovel. 

The Trumpists will dismiss any accusation of racial politics by saying that's the ebil lib default position and never true.

The Dems will dither except for the few courageous women who are already in danger themselves.

This will go on for a few days, and the Trump will send out an insane Tweet at 4am from the shitter, and all will be forgotten until next time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You really have to wonder about how incompetent the leadership of the various gun-rights movements are.

In my adulthood, we've had an assault weapons ban that lasted for 10 years and survived every court challenge to get it thrown out.  The only reason we don't have it now, is because it sunsetted.   If the NRA and the folks it bought off in Congress had been playing a long game, they would have boosted the mental health system and offered some minimal gun control measures that at least pretended like they cared.   Instead, they did nothing, and so, long game, the Ds will get their chance to pass another AWB, that will probably be modeled on the one we already had, only it will be much more refined based on all of the previous court challenges, so will probably be a lot more airtight.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe, but if he does win re-election, it will most likely be the last re-election win for him (and others).  The state is barreling down the highway towards flipping D and not going back, and his rhetoric is helping.

Cornyn is free to pop off with this tough lingo now because it will work in 2020.  He knows the demographics also.  He won’t be running for re-election again.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You really have to wonder about how incompetent the leadership of the various gun-rights movements are.

In my adulthood, we've had an assault weapons ban that lasted for 10 years and survived every court challenge to get it thrown out.  The only reason we don't have it now, is because it sunsetted.   If the NRA and the folks it bought off in Congress had been playing a long game, they would have boosted the mental health system and offered some minimal gun control measures that at least pretended like they cared.   Instead, they did nothing, and so, long game, the Ds will get their chance to pass another AWB, that will probably be modeled on the one we already had, only it will be much more refined based on all of the previous court challenges, so will probably be a lot more airtight.

They sell more guns after mass shootings, especially under a democratic administration.  There’s a correlation between the stock price and the days following a mass shooting. 

It’s always been about the money.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They sell more guns after mass shootings, especially under a democratic administration.  There’s a correlation between the stock price and the days following a mass shooting. 

It’s always been about the money.  

You mean it isn't about freedom and tyranny?

1 hour ago, ruitxn said:

Be sure to remind the thoughts and prayers folks that faith without works is dead.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

^

Dylan NATIONALIZE MOVIEPASS H-F
@dylan_hf
Sobering sound bite on CNN: we don’t know the official injured toll because many potential victims could be avoiding hospitals because of their immigration status

Edited by retread

^

Well to be fair, democracide in places like Venezuela has taken thousands of lives, not just hundreds.

But to be fair to the situation, just here in Texas---we should note that although our state has more CHL packing ruffians...this is what? the 15th mass shooting just in Texas where the shooter(s) were NOT stopped on site by packing Texans?  The next mass shooting stopped on site by a responsible gun owning Texan will be the first in 50 years.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

Well to be fair, democracide in places like Venezuela has taken thousands of lives, not just hundreds.

But to be fair to the situation, just here in Texas---we should note that although our state has more CHL packing ruffians...this is what? the 15th mass shooting just in Texas where the shooter(s) were NOT stopped on site by packing Texans?  The next mass shooting stopped on site by a responsible gun owning Texan will be the first in 50 years.  

You're ignoring all the potential shootings that these heroes have stopped by their presence

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So how many mass shootings does this make for Texas in the last 5 years? Five? Ten? Sad to say I've lost count. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shootings_in_Texas

This is a list of homicides committed by firearms in the state of Texas which have a Wikipedia article for the killing, the killer or a related subject.

Events Location Date Number killed Description
Assassination of John F. Kennedy Dallas 22 November 1963 1 While travelling in an open car, President Kennedy was killed by a lone sniper.
University of Texas tower shooting Austin 1 August 1966 18 A sniper barricaded himself atop a campus tower.
Daingerfield church shooting Daingerfield 22 June 1980 5 Religious hate crime
Grand Prairie shooting Grand Prairie 9 August 1982 6 Workplace violence
Luby's shooting Killeen 16 October 1991 24 Misogynistic attack
Waco siege Axtell 28 February 1993 10 Botched police attack
Wedgwood Baptist Church Shooting Fort Worth 15 September 1999 8 Religious hate crime
2009 Fort Hood shooting Fort Hood 5 November 2009 14 Terrorist attack
2012 College Station shooting College Station 13 August 2012 3 Shoot-out with the police
2014 Fort Hood shooting Fort Hood 2 April 2014 4 Workplace violence
2014 Harris County shooting Spring 9 July 2014 6 Domestic violence
Curtis Culwell Center attack Garland 3 May 2015 2 Two attackers were the only fatalities
2015 Waco shootout Waco 17 May 2015 9 Large, confused shoot-out
2015 attack on Dallas police Dallas/Hutchins, Texas 13 June 2015 1 Attack on police headquarters followed by a chase that resulted in the attacker being killed.
2015 Harris County shooting near Houston 8 August 2015 8 Domestic violence
2016 shooting of Dallas police officers Dallas, Texas 7 July 2016 6 A single attacker ambushed a group of policemen
2017 Plano shooting Plano, Texas 10 September 2017 9 Domestic violence
Sutherland Springs church shooting Sutherland Springs, Texas 5 November 2017 27 Religious hate crime
Santa Fe High School shooting Santa Fe, Texas 18 May 2018 10 School shooting
2019 El Paso shooting El Paso,Texas 3 August 2019 20 Random Shooting, multiple fatalities according to initial reports, number of fatalities not yet confirmed.

4 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So how many mass shootings does this make for Texas in the last 5 years? Five? Ten? Sad to say I've lost count. 

Just imagine how bad it would be witthout all those guns protecting everyone. Fucking morons. Criminals every last one of them. 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 2

Remember how all the Trumpkins around here used to immediately post “religion of peace!” after a terrorist attack?
It’s gotten to be pretty goddamned fucking clear that what they need to post is “MAGA!”

The "religion of peace" posting crowd is too busy silently approving of these shootings to post anything right now.
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread