2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

Duke wouldn't be a Top 25 team without Williamson. So many bad shots, sloppy turnovers, and missed assignments.

Zion covers up a multitude of sins ... on both ends.

I thought they were the team to before his injury...now they look pretty vanilla. Yea they beat UNC last night. But especially since they're not a typical Duke team that can bomb it from 3, they're in deep trouble if zion gets 2 quick fouls

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

shut your whore mouth. appreciate his brilliance. 

In the waning moments of the first half, an Oregon player gets whistled for an illegal screen.

Walton: There he is with the illegal wide stance, the Larry Craig defense.

Pasch: Leave it.

Gold, Jerry. Gold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

In the waning moments of the first half, an Oregon player gets whistled for an illegal screen.

Walton: There he is with the illegal wide stance, the Larry Craig defense.

Pasch: Leave it.

Gold, Jerry. Gold.

I heard Walton say that at the time but the reference didn’t click.  Hilarious 

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Shit, Dukie V doing Tennessee v Kentucky. Over/Under times he talks about Zion and not the game he’s doing

8 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Vitale is a beating.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Is there anyone close to Williamson this year in the Player of the Year race?

thank God Dukie V was not doing that game!

I can’t remember ever doing this before, but I muted the Tennessee v Kentucky game, but left it on and watched it while wondering if I could get a radio feed of the game. 

Vitale is so awful that ESPN should offer the radio feeds by using your SAP button on your remote. 

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

The Pac 12 extends a middle finger to America as Oregon secures what will likely be a third bid for the league and pop someone's bubble.

i can't figure out exactly why arizona state is considered a lock.  61 in kenpom, 60 in bpi.  

they have a few nice wins (kansas, mississippi state, utah state), a couple of meh wins (washington and oregon) and some really bad losses (vanderbilt, princeton, usc, standford, washington state).

texas has a better resume.

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i can't figure out exactly why arizona state is considered a lock.  61 in kenpom, 60 in bpi.  

they have a few nice wins (kansas, mississippi state, utah state), a couple of meh wins (washington and oregon) and some really bad losses (vanderbilt, princeton, usc, standford, washington state).

texas has a better resume.

They have very good SOS numbers compared to other teams near the cutline (53 nonconference, 70 overall). They also have 11 Q1/Q2 wins, and while only 3 of those are Q1, they are really good wins - all three in the nonconference, and two of them away from home.

Thinking about it more, Texas is really a fascinating case study for the committee. Their NET, Q1 + Q2 wins, strength of victory, bad losses, advanced metrics are all in line with the other prospective 11 seeds, and the SOS numbers are elite. What's killing them is the sheer number of losses and the record away from home.

15 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Is there anyone close to Williamson this year in the Player of the Year race?

thank God Dukie V was not doing that game!

No. Metrics wise, there has been no one close to him this century. Eye test wise the closest to him I can think of is Durant. Davis was a dominant defensive presence but his overall game is no where near Zions.

Auburn can beat anyone, when they hit 3s. They started this game hitting 2/10. They are a bit undersized but are not shy about shooting, especially from the parking lot. They've made more 3s this season than anyone has ever made in an SEC season.

Today they are 14/35 from 3. They've only taken 57 shots.

Bruce Pearl is a damn good coach.

16 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

No. Metrics wise, there has been no one close to him this century. Eye test wise the closest to him I can think of is Durant. Davis was a dominant defensive presence but his overall game is no where near Zions.

He is what Dukie V told us Parker and Okafor were when he had his Dukegasms.

My younger daughter is a freshman at Duke. The school, campus and families are truly amazing. 

IMG-1582.jpg

spent 3 years holed up in the building to the right of Duke Chapel.

best memory...climbing up and draping a Texas flag over the shoulders of St. Nicotine (aka James B. Duke) on Texas Independence Day with 6 other fellow Texans.
  • Like 1

The list of bids by conference, excerpted below, leads to some observations:

• There seems to be a Power 6 in MBB, and the PAC-12 is not part of it.  The two conferences that split out of the Big East are, though.
  • CUSA is crap now, as their one bid going to a former CAA team shows.  They have not gotten more than one bid since Memphis left, including regularly getting their regular season champ snubbed.
  • The A-10 also looks to be suffering from recent defections and call-ups of weaker programs.
  • The Missouri Valley is quite a bit weaker since the departure of Wichita State and Creighton, and may have become a regular 1 bid league.  The MVC was rated as high as the 6th best conference during the first decade of the 2000s  and received 2-4 bids throughout most of that decade.
  • The B1G always gets 1-2 too many bids, leaving them ripe for the perception of an NCAA tournament flop.
  • Despite Texas' omission, this is the first year I didn't think there was some great injustice as far as any teams being left out.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-ncaa-tournament-bid-breakdown-012025261.html

Below is a list of the NCAA participants by conference, with the automatic bid recipient in caps.

Big Ten: 8 (Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, MICHIGAN STATE, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin)
ACC: 7 (DUKE, Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech)
SEC: 7 (AUBURN, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee)
Big 12: 6 (Baylor, IOWA STATE, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech)
American: 4 (CINCINNATI, Houston, Temple, UCF)
Big East: 4 (Marquette, St. John’s, Seton Hall, VILLANOVA)
Pac-12: 3 (Arizona State, OREGON, Washington)
Atlantic 10: 2 (VCU, SAINT LOUIS)
Mountain West: 2 (Nevada, UTAH STATE)
OVC: 2 (Belmont, MURRAY STATE)
WCC: 2 (Gonzaga, SAINT MARY’S)

ONE-BID LEAGUES

America East: 1 (VERMONT)
Atlantic Sun: 1 (LIBERTY)
Big Sky: 1 (MONTANA)
Big South: 1 (GARDNER-WEBB)
Big West: 1 (UC IRVINE)
Colonial: 1 (NORTHEASTERN)
Conference USA: 1 (OLD DOMINION)