2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I mean I stand by my comment. I'm not against playing him but he's going to have to produce at a higher level. Maybe tonight's the turning point and he can contribute in spot duty the rest of the season. 

I remember Tres Barrera hitting like .140 through March of his freshman year. Then he turned it on after getting comfortable. Happens with freshman pretty often. I would be quite gruntled if this was a turning point for him. 

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I can’t imagine with this many games left to play that anything is certain. Our noncon opponents could dominate. Other top 8s could flop. Or we could just win out.

We might not win another game. /looking up to make sure the baseball gods don’t think we are being arrogant.

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Start lookin for a new skipper. This shit is fucking pathetic and embarrassing

I agree. Get me a manager who has never lost a close game or made a bad decision. Get me 20 year old players who NEVER WALK ANYONE and 20-year old hitters who ALWAYS GET HITS. It's not that hard!!!!

This program deserves PERFECTION.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Big 12 rankings:

Batting Average: 4th

Runs: 7th

Homers: 5th

Slugging %: 6th

Walks: 7th

Strikeouts: 3rd (fewest)

Double plays grounded into: 3rd (fewest)

Sac bunts: 2nd

SB: 5th

Pitching

ERA: 1st

WHIP: 3rd

Strikeouts: 3rd

Walks allowed: 6th

Homers allowed: 1st (fewest)

Batting average against: 1st (lowest)

Fielding %: 3rd

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Big 12 rankings:

Batting Average: 4th

Runs: 7th

Homers: 5th

Slugging %: 6th

Walks: 7th

Strikeouts: 3rd (fewest)

Double plays grounded into: 3rd (fewest)

Sac bunts: 2nd

SB: 5th

Pitching

ERA: 1st

WHIP: 3rd

Strikeouts: 3rd

Walks allowed: 6th

Homers allowed: 1st (fewest)

Batting average against: 1st (lowest)

Fielding %: 3rd

Kinda looks like vintage Texas. 

30 minutes ago, troph said:

Kinda looks like vintage Texas. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

That’s one of the sickest feelings after a Texas baseball game I’ve had in I don’t know how long. I usually shake a loss off and get on with my day, the Virginia tech sugar bowl I figured out how to shake a loss off pretty quickly and man this one still stings. Such a shitty loss. Fuck. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

Same with the CSF championship. Those were harder but first they were championships and you never know and second those are both 14+ years ago. This was today and it suuuuuucked.

@troph dude chill the fuck out. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

@troph dude chill the fuck out. 

Vintage Texas comment was not made while peering over the ledge.  Pitching and defense is always what Texas leads with except last year. Doesn’t change how sick I felt yesterday. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stayed #21 in the D1baseball rankings.

RPI #16. 7 Q1 wins. Fullerton and Indiana appear to be much better than we thought at the time.

Not sure how this will all play out hopefully we win one or two games we shouldn’t to offset Sunday. But I do think we can host as a top 16 if we can finish at least second in the conference. The first two weekends of conference play suggest this team can do that.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Not sure how this will all play out hopefully we win one or two games we shouldn’t to offset Sunday. But I do think we can host as a top 16 if we can finish at least second in the conference. The first two weekends of conference play suggest this team can do that.

We dicked around for much of Big 12 play last year til the end and lost multiple games we shouldn’t have. I’ll maintain that 14ish wins should be the target for us to be in the convo for hosting heading into Arlington.

The A&M road win and Tech sweep were huge for RPI purposes. Tech has played us, OSU and TCU to start conference play and will be winning a lot the rest of the way. They will be a top 30ish RPI team in all likelihood. The road game in San Marcos a week from today will be sneaky important as well.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

We are more than halfway through the regular season so we are getting to the point where guys probably are who they are stat wise. We've played enough creampuffs and tough games to level the playing field for everyone.

image.thumb.png.0a5acc01c014d3e8e3c081cf13712ccc.png

image.thumb.png.e90ee9733eb214c3253e9018b92493e6.png

-Just looked back and last year we had two pitchers with more than 10 innings thrown with ERA's under 3: Southard and Olivarez. This year we have 5 right now.

-Batting average against is 10 points lower compared to last year (.241). Walks per 9 are up slightly compared to last year (3.65 vs 3.99).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Grubbs and Lummus must be wondering what they have to do to get more appearances. 

Lummus isn't very good. There's a reason he didn't pitch his first 2 seasons on campus and 3 of his 4 appearances this year came in absolute blowouts and his other one was the wild game 3 at Fullerton.

Grubbs I agree needs more innings. I wonder if the knee injury that held him out the first few weeks of the season flared up again.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lummus isn't very good. There's a reason he didn't pitch his first 2 seasons on campus and 3 of his 4 appearances this year came in absolute blowouts and his other one was the wild game 3 at Fullerton.

Looks like he had surgery his second year.  Unless you’ve seen him up close or have talked to some people who have, seems like a pretty flimsy basis on which to make that judgment.  All he can do is pitch the innings he’s given.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Still would like to see Morehouse as the Tuesday starter, and someone who throws more strikes as the closer.  Not just a slap at Zane either, we would get more nnings out of him as a starter, and I consider that a good thing.

I think the problems that plague him as a reliever would be amplified as a starter. He wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire when he was in the rotation.

I think his best role is in the bullpen, where it’s easier to absorb his outings where he doesn’t have it and get him out quicker.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Still would like to see Morehouse as the Tuesday starter, and someone who throws more strikes as the closer.  Not just a slap at Zane either, we would get more nnings out of him as a starter, and I consider that a good thing.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think the problems that plague him as a reliever would be amplified as a starter. He wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire when he was in the rotation.

I think his best role is in the bullpen, where it’s easier to absorb his outings where he doesn’t have it and get him out quicker.

either way, just not the closer.  he had two batters for outs 2 and 3 set up ready for "that" pitch and he just didn't have it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Then who closes games? Hurley needs to be starting Saturdays and LBJ needs to be starting Sundays. Other than Zane we don’t have a relief guy with the stuff to close out games. 

Does Hurley need to be starting? He seems to be pretty good in the role he is in where he can be used a couple times a week, including finishing some games which he did earlier this year. He’s honestly looked most shaky when we’ve had him start a handful of times. We have the bullpen depth where asking Sthele to go out and give us 5 decent innings on Saturday’s isn’t asking a whole lot and he’s shown he can do it for the most part.

I’m not closing the door on Morehouse either. You don’t remove someone permanently after one blown save. He has had shaky moments but when the stuff is on (game 1 vs Tech), it’s unhittable. You don’t go away from that at the first sign of trouble. You need multiple guys who can finish games anyway when you are playing close games 3 days in a row like we do in this conference sometimes.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Then who closes games? Hurley needs to be starting Saturdays and LBJ needs to be starting Sundays. Other than Zane we don’t have a relief guy with the stuff to close out games. 

I agree, but he can’t be used like you would use Huston Street and act like he’s always the best option to close, and should never be yanked if it appears he’s going to struggle.   It’s not a confidence thing with him it’s an execution thing.   It’s just going to have to be pieced together like most everything else on this club has been. 

one interesting development from this weekend that everyone’s favorite color guy pointed out is that Duplantier seems to have developed some kind of backup slider or splitter.  He could not tell what it was and it’s a better pitch than his regular slider.  He got through their best hitters with it and induced a weak bloop the second time through on Benge I believe. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Does Hurley need to be starting? He seems to be pretty good in the role he is in where he can be used a couple times a week, including finishing some games which he did earlier this year. He’s honestly looked most shaky when we’ve had him start a handful of times. We have the bullpen depth where asking Sthele to go out and give us 5 decent innings on Saturday’s isn’t asking a whole lot and he’s shown he can do it for the most part.

I’m not closing the door on Morehouse either. You don’t remove someone permanently after one blown save. He has had shaky moments but when the stuff is on (game 1 vs Tech), it’s unhittable. You don’t go away from that at the first sign of trouble. You need multiple guys who can finish games anyway when you are playing close games 3 days in a row like we do in this conference sometimes.

I agree with you on Hurley but we need another starter. More than we need a middle reliever. Stehle can function as the middle reliever.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I agree with you on Hurley but we need another starter. More than we need a middle reliever. Stehle can function as the middle reliever.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying and correct me if I am, but I don’t consider Hurley a middle reliever. He is someone who can go 3+ innings and get you big outs late in games. The runs prevented in the 7th inning matter just as much as the runs prevented in the 3rd inning.

Could we use another good starter? Absolutely, no question. But if you move Hurley then are you robbing Peter to pay Paul? That just creates another hole in a bullpen that is facing questions with Morehouse and now Shaw’s injury.

Edited by Hookem2147

Gordon can go late in games. Sthele has proven he cannot.  We don’t really know if Hurley can because he’s never been worked in that role.  If he could, that would be a more valuable long term use of him imo.  It feels like Pierce just isn’t going to go that route though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying and correct me if I am, but I don’t consider Hurley a middle reliever. He is someone who can go 3+ innings and get you big outs late in games. The runs prevented in the 7th inning matter just as much as the runs prevented in the 3rd inning.

Could we use another good starter? Absolutely, no question. But if you move Hurley then are you robbing Peter to pay Paul? That just creates another hole in a bullpen that is facing questions with Morehouse and now Shaw’s injury.

I have more confidence in Hurley to pitch real starter innings than Stehle. 

If we can have a legit starter that goes deeper on Saturday it puts our bullpen in better shape for the weekend overall. With Stehle we know after 3-4 innings that we likely need to make the move.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I have more confidence in Hurley to pitch real starter innings than Stehle. 

If we can have a legit starter that goes deeper on Saturday it puts our bullpen in better shape for the weekend overall. With Stehle we know after 3-4 innings that we likely need to make the move.

Agreed. We know Stehle's limitations as a starter. Hurley started last year at USC and went 5 or 6 in most starts, i think. He got pummeled a couple of times, but that happens to almost all starters. 

Probably comes down to what they value more: a reliable 5-6 innings on Saturday or Sunday that we are 95% sure would be an upgrade over Sthele but how big of an upgrade would be tbd, or Hurley being able to go multiple innings out of the pen multiple times a weeks and potentially close out some games.

There are valid arguments to both sides. With LBJ being a wildcard every week there is also value in having a deeper pen available on Sunday games that usually get wild anyway.

Maybe the addition of Witt changes the calculus a bit in a month if he comes back and shows he can give us 1-2 innings a couple times a week. Lots of moving parts.

Edited by Hookem2147

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Morehouse has way too much traffic for my taste.  Hurley or Tole would be my picks to get a shot.