2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The bottom of the line up is still pretty soft but we definitely found some guys who can rake during that easy part of the schedule.

This. To me the lineup still looks one power bat short but if the top end keeps getting on base so often we can certainly score some runs

David Shaw is the perfect example of development not being linear in college baseball, especially for pitchers. Had a 6.57 ERA at Rice last year in 37 innings. Struck out 28 batters. Opponents hit .230 against him.

In 17.1 innings this year he has a 1.56 ERA and has struck out 21. Opponents are hitting .136 against him.

• Hook 'Em 1

DI Baseball has Texas at 29th in RPI as of today. Sweeping Tech and taking the OSU series would be huge.

Future/past opps of note:

aggy: 38

Indiana: 40 - this series win is helping now (2-1)

CSF: 69 (1-2)

UTA: 72

Texas State: 93

Screenshot2023-03-26at10_58_33.thumb.png.603013cb3eccfeeb4b8a035d0dcf0daf.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I’m watching this Tennessee-aggy, game, and does Tennessee do the horns for some reason? Or are people now doing horns up to taunt aggy?

It is done a lot in baseball in the field to signify two outs. I'm not watching, so I don't know if that's why in this particular case.

• Like 1

I think this may have been talked about before, but it was mentioned on Orangebloods today that the Manhattan series was actually supposed to be against Oregon State. Oregon State had to back out last minute because Pac12 play started that weekend and we had to scramble to find an opponent.

I think this may have been talked about before, but it was mentioned on Orangebloods today that the Manhattan series was actually supposed to be against Oregon State. Oregon State had to back out last minute because Pac12 play started that weekend and we had to scramble to find an opponent.

That’s kinda a big deal.

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

It is done a lot in baseball in the field to signify two outs. I'm not watching, so I don't know if that's why in this particular case.

Oh, I didn’t know that, because I’ve never watched baseball before.

No—it definitely wasn’t that. It was several of the players yesterday as they ran out to celebrate walking off aggy. And you can see it with some of the fans in the stands.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes.

Manhattan was a last minute schedule change. (At least now though we have the origin of the 7th inning stretch. Though normally given to Taft)

Well that was a very lucky break because that Manhattan series might have turned this season around. We needed some positive momentum and some good things to happen. College baseball is so psychological.

Who would have thought after that Fullerton series that we were going on a 14 game winning streak?

I still think we are one more really good pitcher away from really being a contender for the conference title. One like Tanner Witt, if somebody like that might be available soon.

• Hook 'Em 4

We moved from 60 to 23 in RPI.  Tech dropped from 21 to 39.

OSU is now 15 (from 10).  WVU is next in conference at 45, TCU 53, OU 69, and the rest are over 140.

I'm more gruntled now than I was.  I doubt we can take the series in Stillwater, but winning 1 seems imperative.  We get WVU at home, so that helps, but it's way down the road, who knows where they'll be by then.

20 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

nah bro. it's a salute to the greatest college baseball tradition in all the land.  everyone's a horn when it comes to baseball, some just don't know it.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well that was a very lucky break because that Manhattan series might have turned this season around. We needed some positive momentum and some good things to happen. College baseball is so psychological.

Who would have thought after that Fullerton series that we were going on a 14 game winning streak?

I still think we are one more really good pitcher away from really being a contender for the conference title. One like Tanner Witt, if somebody like that might be available soon.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Okie Lite looked like a mixed bag against a horrid Baylor team. Hemorrhaged runs on Friday and Saturday. Another good week and we could be sitting in the driver’s seat. We’re a shortstop away from me feeling really, really good about this team. 

Abbott And Costello Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

in all seriousness, Pierce has developed teams in-season as well as anyone has here. He's got his glaring weaknesses (can we please has a different third base coach?) but I'm not surprised to see some real growth.  This doesn't really look like much of a contender, but that doesn't mean we can't keep this up and have a decent showing in the post season.

19 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Okie Lite looked like a mixed bag against a horrid Baylor team. Hemorrhaged runs on Friday and Saturday. Another good week and we could be sitting in the driver’s seat. We’re a shortstop away from me feeling really, really good about this team. 

If SS is still the biggest question mark you have about this team a month from now, then that is going to be a really good problem to have.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:27 PM, Hook1997 said:

I’ll go a friendly $50 they don’t score more than 6 in conference or vs a power 5 school more then three times.   never was a bit far.  

On 2/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, Hook1997 said:

they might not score 6 runs in a game all season.

Clock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Through 25 games

2022:  0.312 BA, 8.0 runs per game, 37 HRs, 3.22 ERA, 13 errors

2023:  0.286 BA, 7.0 runs per game, 35 HRs, 3.40 ERA, 23 errors

Should be noted that 8 of those 23 errors (35%) came in the first 3 games of the season. 15 errors in the last 22 games, including zero this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Through 25 games

2022:  0.312 BA, 8.0 runs per game, 37 HRs, 3.22 ERA, 13 errors

2023:  0.286 BA, 7.0 runs per game, 35 HRs, 3.40 ERA, 23 errors

I've seen it stated here that this team reminds people of the 2018 team that went 2 and 'Q.

2018:  0.272 BA, 5.76 runs per game, 19 HRs, 4.56 ERA, 22 errors

Seriously, has there been a more impactful transfer catcher in the country than Guillemette? Him and Porter Brown have to be two of the best transfers in the conference right now. David Shaw has to be the top reliever transfer in the Big 12 so far.

So much for portal recruiting being horrible.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Seriously, has there been a more impactful transfer catcher in the country than Guillemette? Him and Porter Brown have to be two of the best transfers in the conference right now. David Shaw has to be the top reliever transfer in the Big 12 so far.

Yes those were three good adds.  Both USC guys were.  Keeping Kash and getting a real shortstop would have been ideal.   I did not understand Pierces explanation for why Kash left. It sounded like he just did not offer him a full scholarship.  I guess that’s understandable given that he sucked when he was here and his emergence is kind of out of nowhere.  Just relying on Daly at SS, though, was a mistake from the get go.  We saw a little preview of that this weekend with some plays that have to be made at this level that weren’t.  

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Should be noted that 8 of those 23 errors (35%) came in the first 3 games of the season. 15 errors in the last 22 games, including zero this weekend.

Well that’s only because Daly doesn’t get registered and error for that stupid glove tap

42 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yes those were three good adds.  Both USC guys were.  Keeping Kash and getting a real shortstop would have been ideal.   I did not understand Pierces explanation for why Kash left. It sounded like he just did not offer him a full scholarship.  I guess that’s understandable given that he sucked when he was here and his emergence is kind of out of nowhere.  Just relying on Daly at SS, though, was a mistake from the get go.  We saw a little preview of that this weekend with some plays that have to be made at this level that weren’t.  

0 to open up conference is good to see. As a former college baseball player the hitting and fielding the first 2 weeks can be a disaster. Takes time to get timing down. 

Feels like we are playing with house money this week. I said a week ago that a 3-4 stretch over the next 7 games would probably be a net positive and anything more would be really good and we are already 3-0. Any win in Stillwater would be huge for RPI purposes.

Edited by Hookem2147

But I was told there wasn't any NIL for baseball in this last cycle and Texas got depantsed in the portal because of it?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Feels like we are playing with house money this week. I said a week ago that a 3-4 stretch over the next 7 games would probably be a net positive and anything more would be really good and we are already 3-0. Any win in Stillwater would be huge for RPI purposes.

I don't think you, me, or anyone else would feel positive over Texas going 0-4 against ATM and OSU this week. .500 in those 4 would be fine and anything above that would be positive.

• Hook 'Em 4

0 to open up conference is good to see. As a former college baseball player the hitting and fielding the first 2 weeks can be a disaster. Takes time to get timing down. 

No doubt. Did you ever play with a whole new set of guys? Because we had that going too.

I can’t provide examples but there have been major leaguers that have been historically slow starters at the bat. Timing is off. It’s cool/cold. It happens. It’s why I’d balk at anyone being written off after 20 ABs. And hitting is always a bit streaky. Thomas and Campbell are two examples this year and really Campbell is whole career.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, I see today that we are ranked 21.  I figured we'd get ranked after whackin' aggy this week.  So, the ranking came a bit early (see B&P's prediction in the TT thread for you doubters). Okie Lite lost two to the pouting Gavin Kash's.  I don't think they are anyone to be overly worried about.  In fact, they are probably more concerned about our current F'n HOT streak and comin' to their haus and slappin' them around and takin' their wimmenz (....uh maybe).  Carry on.

We're gonna fuck em up and win the fucking conference. Our pitching staff is really good, adding Witt hopefully soon will make it great. We're finding our identity and have learned how to win games. Lets fuck aggy up tomorrow and keep this winning streak going. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, UnhappilyMarried said:

Faltine ain't walking through that door though.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

We're gonna fuck em up and win the fucking conference. Our pitching staff is really good, adding Witt hopefully soon will make it great. We're finding our identity and have learned how to win games. Lets fuck aggy up tomorrow and keep this winning streak going. 

Hope so. This week is big. I mean...I get it...it is March and early April. But look at the schedule after this weekend. The rest of the league isn't that great after Tech and Oklahoma State. Sure TCU, Kansas State, and WV all might make me eat my words but they aren't that great right this second. This week is a big week to show that we belong among the top 16 teams. That we are an Omaha type contender this season. We come back from this road trip with three or four wins the whole outlook of the season changes. We can beat all the rest of the teams on our schedule. We got Kansas State and West Virginia at home. 

We win these games, it would be a huge step to us all being at the Disch watching UT play a Regional the first weekend in June. Let's go fuck em up and then beat down the rest of our schedule. This team is starting to feel it, they got this. Campbell is going to mash the rest of the year and Thomas and Galvan are going to be hitting as well.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

This team fucks. 15 fucking straight. We’re winning the conference and are gonna host. Again

I’m gonna laugh when Powell starts getting on Golden Spikes watch lists. Please let him with it somehow. The players that haven’t won it then having Powell take it home would be too hilarious