2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Average NPB salary is $321k.

Overall or for American players?  I had a HS classmate who struggled to get more than a cup of coffee in the majors, so he headed to Japan and made ~$1M a couple of years in a row.  I recall him telling me that a team could only have two Americans on the roster at any given time, but they paid them well because they were good draws.

4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Yeah - MLB or AAA guys with promise that get sniped by NPB are going to make more than the average salary. Or washed up stars that go over there. 

The average guy in Japan isn't making that much. The below average guys hitting .200 certainly aren't. 

I get the point you're making - and it's definitely a sweet deal. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Overall or for American players?  I had a HS classmate who struggled to get more than a cup of coffee in the majors, so he headed to Japan and made ~$1M a couple of years in a row.  I recall him telling me that a team could only have two Americans on the roster at any given time, but they paid them well because they were good draws.

Overall.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great book that covers the subject.

Up to that time, Cromartie was the the most prominent American player to play in Japan while still in his prime. Probably still is. ( my parents were living in Okinawa at the time and dad was the one who told me about the book in the 90's)

s-l640-289747064.jpg

Edited by BillyGoatHill

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

Minchey's dad was a MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) pitcher. 

It still amazing to me you can make a million bucks (or more) a year playing in the NPB hitting for just a .200 average.

NPB has the "beer girls" -- a definite plus!  Lulz.

image.png.efbc7be16239d75c49d92b7eadc624d1.png

image.thumb.png.cf6c1363dbf67473adf1f086683298ce.png

image.png.39b6d1e411f063f984047505b84358a0.png

image.thumb.png.9ad97bce54aedd1948c72f8f38c8f57f.png

Obligatory....  Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. That 2018 lineup really wasn’t that good and was also pretty weak at the bottom. We had Jake McKenzie, Petrinsky, Tate Shaw and Ryan Reynolds all hitting .256 or worse. McKenzie was basically Jared Thomas that year without the speed and Reynolds was very similar to Jack O’Dowd while getting hit by 18 pitches to inflate his OBP.

That 2018 team had no business sniffing Omaha. As you mentioned, the pitching in the pen was performing way over their head.

I remember Shugart being nails that 2018 season. 

9 hours ago, Levi said:

I remember Shugart being nails that 2018 season. 

He and Kingham were great. Can't believe the bullpen full of ragtags we threw together. Really fun season. 

Missed the Texas st. games. Figured tonight would be difficult with the 5 games in 5 days thing. We'll sweep Baylor and be back on track. Anyone going to waco this weekend remember to bring your rape whistle and don't bring your cat. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

He and Kingham were great. Can't believe the bullpen full of ragtags we threw together. Really fun season. 

Missed the Texas st. games. Figured tonight would be difficult with the 5 games in 5 days thing. We'll sweep Baylor and be back on track. Anyone going to waco this weekend remember to bring your rape whistle and don't bring your cat. 

Man, I love the elephant-like memory we all collectively have about the cat thing. You'd think that with the murder and rape scandals since then everyone would forget about the cat. But no, its memory lives on. 

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Man, I love the elephant-like memory we all collectively have about the cat thing. You'd think that with the murder and rape scandals since then everyone would forget about the cat. But no, its memory lives on. 

This is why Chris Beard was never going to coach here again after what he did, despite all the dipshits saying otherwise.  It's a double-edge sword.

Edited by petscii

Was looking at some conference only stats this year compared to last year (so throwing out the midweeks and non conference play). 9 games seems like a large enough sample size to start drawing some conclusions.

-Last year we had a team ERA of 4.99 in conference play. This year is 4.09 so far.

-Batting average against for the pitching staff was .245 in conference play last year. At .251 this year.

-We hit 65 homers last year in conference play (lol). On pace for 34 this year.

-Struck out 7.9 times per game last year. Right at 9 per game this year.

-On the mound, we struck out 8.8 per game last year. At 8.6 this year

-Allowed 28 homers last year. On pace to allow 21 this year.

-Walked an average of 4.5 batters per game last year. At 5 per game this year.

-Stole only 11 bases in 24 conference games last year. On pace for 21 this year.

-Committed 14 errors last year. Only at 2 so far this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Has there been any specific update on Witt and Shaw as to when they would be back?

Pierce said Witt was 3 weeks away last week. Maybe that midweek game against Texas Southern in a few weeks is a realistic target date? Seems like a good game to ease someone back in with an inning or two.

No timetable on Shaw but one of the 9.95ers said he didn’t think it was serious and he would be back “soon”.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pierce said Witt was 3 weeks away last week. Maybe that midweek game against Texas Southern in a few weeks is a realistic target date? Seems like a good game to ease someone back in with an inning or two.

No timetable on Shaw but one of the 9.95ers said he didn’t think it was serious and he would be back “soon”.

Good news on Shaw because he has easily been the best arm out of the pen

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There’s still no chance.

Well why doesn't Pierce just say that then? Again if Witt had just left the program last year we all would have understood. I am not sure why you would be publicly announcing a return in three weeks if the opposite had already been decided.

And even if he does return, we don't know how big of a deal that is. He may not be back to his old self for awhile. So no reason to think too much about it until we see something.

On 4/12/2023 at 9:10 AM, hornian said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Waco-community-Suspension-too-lenient-for-cat-2020239.php

I'll never let slide any Baylor transgression.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well why doesn't Pierce just say that then? Again if Witt had just left the program last year we all would have understood. I am not sure why you would be publicly announcing a return in three weeks if the opposite had already been decided.

And even if he does return, we don't know how big of a deal that is. He may not be back to his old self for awhile. So no reason to think too much about it until we see something.

Trust me, I’m getting my information from the scout who told the Judge that Roy Hobbs was a “joke”.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I heard Witt is up to 6'9" and he's painting the corners with 107 mph fastballs. 

He has a pocket full of horses, fucks the shit out of bears.

He threw a knife into heaven, and can kill with a stare.

He made love like an eagle falling out of the sky.

Killed his sensei in a duel and he never said why.

Six foot eight, weighs a fucking ton.

Opponents beware, opponents beware.

He's coming, he's coming, he's coming.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

That's Washington. And he was 6 foot 20 fucking killing for fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

BILL BRASKY!!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, zlavydra said:

IIRC, the cat incident was before all the rapes were covered up by Rapelor's athletic dept, their administration, and every level of LE in the area.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I heard Witt is up to 6'9" and he's painting the corners with 107 mph fastballs. 

That'll be $9.95.  Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek

13 minutes ago, BERT said:

BILL BRASKY!!

Well done!

Tanner Witt took me out to a parking lot one day, claiming it was a secret bar.  Sure enough, we stood there for two years as they constructed a bar around us.  When they were done, we had a shot, and Witt burned the place to the ground and screamed, "Always leave things the way you found 'em!"  

• Haha 2

The weekend ahead:

Screenshot2023-04-14at14_48_35.thumb.png.272862a44df56688c73b1ae6a23381b9.png

- We finally get to see WVU play a good team in a three-game series. They did take two of three from both Xavier (RPI 37, SOS 70) and Kansas State, but neither are that great. Either way, Texas fans should hope for some sort of split in Stillwater.

- KSU @ KU will help with some separation too. Another series Texas would love to see a split.

- Lastly, Texas needs to sweep Baylor. If that happens, I feel pretty comfortable for now. Although, the TCU series looms large. However, getting Witt back (even if it's just a couple of plus bullpen innings to help close out games) and Shaw back helps a ton.

RPI check:

Screenshot2023-04-14at14_52_14.thumb.png.b972d0e0955ba95bb69300be8f717f76.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
x-posting with some minor edits
  • Hook 'Em 2