Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

There are some parallels between Succession and Yellowstone.  Mainly a patriarch has some kids that may or may not inherit everything.  The parallels mostly end there because Yellowstone is a stupid fucking show at this point.

However, in both, there are multiple sons and only one daughter.  Also, the writers seem to struggle with female characters.  In each, they took the simple route, which was to make her like a man.  Both Beth Dutton and Shiv swear, drink, and fuck their way through life.  They're jolly good fun but not that accurate.  Imagine Succession if there were 2 daughters and 2 sons or 3 daughters and 1 son.  Dynamics are totally different and the writers would actually have to write for a female character.

The real life blueprint is even there with Sumner and Shari Redstone.

I’ve given it a think, and the Succesion finale had to much Shiv in it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oh_snap said:

Thought finale was fine. But one thing that bothers me was the sequence of events in Mattson’s screwing over Shiv.  She was the swing vote in the board meeting. He couldn’t have possibly known she was going to vote the deal through, so I don’t understand why he let the information out before the vote. I would think more realistically he pulls that move after the vote or he had more votes lined up so he could afford to lose her vote.  But that makes for less compelling tv. 

Mattson didn’t “let it out”.  It was a secret but Greg over heard them.  That whole thing with him using google translate to record them talking and having it translated.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Mattson didn’t “let it out”.  It was a secret but Greg over heard them.  That whole thing with him using google translate to record them talking and having it translated.  

Does anybody know what app Greg was using? Spanish to English in real time would be a big help. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

I think you’re wrong. I thought it was intentional they spoke in front of him and tried to leak it.  But even if it wasn’t intentional, I don’t think it matters with respect to the point I’m trying to make. 

Suppose Mattson didn’t want Shiv to know he was going to fuck her over. Given how easy it was for Kendall to verify, the amount of lose lips (such as the press release draft), etc. Mattson would have to be a total moron to not know it could get back to Shiv. It’s too big a gamble to take, no way he willingly does that. There’s a missing element here. 

• Like 1

Judging by how mad Tom and Mattson were at Greg for leaking it,  don’t think they wanted it out.  But I think he thought that had the votes none the less, but then Kendall flipped a couple like a Stewie and it ended up coming down to Shiv. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tricking Greg to leak it and then giving him grief for doing it is exactly the type of move I’d expect from someone like Mattson. But again, doesn’t really matter.  It was super reckless and not realistic for Mattson to concede Shiv’s vote - and he did that by offering the job to Tom before the vote. It was gonna leak somehow, which puts the whole vote in jeopardy for him. A risk no one in that seat would ever take. 
This show was so well written, so my view of the series doesn’t change. But I felt like the writers took shortcuts here for sake of drama… which is fine. 

Mattson definitely sent his PR lady blood, he definitely actually had a rounding error that doubled his India numbers, and he definitely wasn’t doing some shrewd thing by hoping Greg would live translate their conversation or even assuming that Tom would do anything but say yes and keep his mouth shut.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I thought Greg having the "inventory" files or whatever it was that Tom asked him to delete the second time was going to be his way back in to the good graces of Tom. I liked that Tom gave Greg a chance back in the fold.

The scene with Kendall and Roman was a very powerful one, maybe the most poignant and hard-hitting of all the scenes and reminded me of this famous scene with Roman playing the part of Biff and trying to tell a delusional Kendall portrayed by Willie that they are nothing-- a dime a dozen:

Edited by HamsterHookah

On 5/28/2023 at 9:36 PM, Ben Tobin said:

Really thought Ken was gonna take the elevator to the roof and jump. 

after the signing in the glass conference room, with the wall of windows...i was holding my breath at every camera cut, i just knew we were gonna see Kendall's falling body, or the shadow of it, a reflection and everybody gasping, the scene just went on and on...all that glass everywhere! that had to have been on purpose and as such was excellently shot.

i'd agreed this would be the most fitting ending. i am gruntled. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

Mattson joked that the signing picture was like The Last Supper and even had Judas (Greg).  So he didn’t leak it on purpose.  

Andy Greenwald likened the conference room fight to Shiv’s eulogy.  Kids (not serious people) fucking around outside the office where the business was being done.  Thought that was a cool observation.  

• Hook 'Em 3

That episode was annoying. The way the leak kept getting sourced back to Greg (unnecessarily casually tossed in as reliable source of info more than once) when the only one who knew Greg was the leaker was Kendall -- was purely cover for a giant plot hole. The last minute family gathering in Bimini was just a lengthy misdirection to throw the viewer off. The way it was Shiv who suddenly was begging Tom to be her husband again. Yuck. It made the episode feel rather stupid.

Shiv wasn't the loser in all of this. She was actually "the least" of the losers -- and in fact would have gotten anything and everything she asked for from both Tom and Mattson to cast the deciding vote. She in fact was the king maker because she was the only one willing to go hard core all the way 'til the end. Those last few minutes with her brothers immediately before she cast her final vote was just her way of letting them down easy.

Tom (and others) somehow, and seemingly impossibly, "knew" the leaker was Greg, despite Kendall being the only one to know that, confronts him with minutes to spare, and is able to work out a deal with Shiv. We don't see the deal happening but it was the same type of thing that Logan did with his ex wife (Marcia) to give her the $60M brownstone in exchange for her vote...we didn't see it on-screen but we knew it happened because we could observe by the way things played out at the board meeting and then her standing aside as a spectator outside the conference room to watch Mattson and her husband, and then joining him in the car afterward. Tom and Mattson were able to work a deal with Shiv to get her vote by...remaining her husband +++ other things she wanted, you can be certain.

The last minute family gathering in Bimini was pathetic and made this episode unbearably long. Okay, licking the cheese was funny...I'll give them that.

Kendall should have taken the elevator up and leaped from the top of the fucking building.

Some of you who think this was brilliant parody, satire or finale really should go watch Derry Girls and see how it's properly done. Good riddance to fucking Succession.

Sorry for the ramble. No time to edit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, oh_snap said:

He couldn’t have possibly known she was going to vote the deal through, so I don’t understand why he let the information out before the vote. I would think more realistically he pulls that move after the vote or he had more votes lined up so he could afford to lose her vote.  But that makes for less compelling tv. 

It's because he's an overconfident prick who was certain that she *would* vote it through. 

In his mind, he already won Shiv over and so it was a done deal. And he needed to have the American CEO ready to be named as soon as the deal was done when the press release goes out. He wasn't going to name Shiv in the press release and then change it a few days later. That's not how those things work.

Thus, he decides on Tom and then gets the wheels moving on announcement materials before the vote which was taking place like 12 hours later.

Didn't Kendall tell Tom it was Greg immediately?

Was there a single moment in this show where any kid was OK with another kid "winning" for longer than 15 seconds? Shiv did not work out a deal with Tom off screen, this is not a Michael Mann movie - regardless of if Shiv actually made best move for her in terms of machiavellian power dynamics or whatever she made the move because more than anything else she can't stand to see her brother win. Maybe she casts the vote if she didn't go last, but she can't be the deciding vote that gives her brother the throne and so she freaks out. Her brother can't recognize what is happening and talk her back through it long enough to get the vote out because he is a 7 year old whose daddy promised the crown so gimme gimme gimme. Literally fighting each other like children because that's what they are. And as noted, Roman the one kid with enough awareness to say what the show is demonstrating - they are nothing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

lol I swear to god every single long TV series thread ends up with people complaining about "lazy writing" and "bad pacing"

so predictable

And it’s usually done in an incoherent manner with poor grammar, misspellings and incorrect punctuation. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

That episode was annoying. The way the leak kept getting sourced back to Greg (unnecessarily casually tossed in as reliable source of info more than once) when the only one who knew Greg was the leaker was Kendall -- was purely cover for a giant plot hole. The last minute family gathering in Bimini was just a lengthy misdirection to throw the viewer off. The way it was Shiv who suddenly was begging Tom to be her husband again. Yuck. It made the episode feel rather stupid.

Shiv wasn't the loser in all of this. She was actually "the least" of the losers -- and in fact would have gotten anything and everything she asked for from both Tom and Mattson to cast the deciding vote. She in fact was the king maker because she was the only one willing to go hard core all the way 'til the end. Those last few minutes with her brothers immediately before she cast her final vote was just her way of letting them down easy.

Tom (and others) somehow, and seemingly impossibly, "knew" the leaker was Greg, despite Kendall being the only one to know that, confronts him with minutes to spare, and is able to work out a deal with Shiv. We don't see the deal happening but it was the same type of thing that Logan did with his ex wife (Marcia) to give her the $60M brownstone in exchange for her vote...we didn't see it on-screen but we knew it happened because we could observe by the way things played out at the board meeting and then her standing aside as a spectator outside the conference room to watch Mattson and her husband, and then joining him in the car afterward. Tom and Mattson were able to work a deal with Shiv to get her vote by...remaining her husband +++ other things she wanted, you can be certain.

The last minute family gathering in Bimini was pathetic and made this episode unbearably long. Okay, licking the cheese was funny...I'll give them that.

Kendall should have taken the elevator up and leaped from the top of the fucking building.

Some of you who think this was brilliant parody, satire or finale really should go watch Derry Girls and see how it's properly done. Good riddance to fucking Succession.

Sorry for the ramble. No time to edit.

Did you watch the episode? Kendall tells Roman it’s Greg on screen almost immediately. It’s not exactly a huge leap to assume that information was given to Shiv off screen, who relays it to Tom on screen. I can understand why you didn’t enjoy the show if you miss subtle or not so subtle bits of information. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Did you watch the episode? Kendall tells Roman it’s Greg on screen almost immediately. It’s not exactly a huge leap to assume that information was given to Shiv off screen, who relays it to Tom on screen. I can understand why you didn’t enjoy the show if you miss subtle or not so subtle bits of information. 

Right right, Kendall tells the siblings, Shiv tells Tom

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's because he's an overconfident prick who was certain that she *would* vote it through. 

She literally threatened him with voting the other way up until the moment they needed a dramatic plot twist.

36 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Was there a single moment in this show where any kid was OK with another kid "winning" for longer than 15 seconds? Shiv did not work out a deal with Tom off screen, this is not a Michael Mann movie - regardless of if Shiv actually made best move for her in terms of machiavellian power dynamics or whatever she made the move because more than anything else she can't stand to see her brother win. Maybe she casts the vote if she didn't go last, but she can't be the deciding vote that gives her brother the throne and so she freaks out. Her brother can't recognize what is happening and talk her back through it long enough to get the vote out because he is a 7 year old whose daddy promised the crown so gimme gimme gimme. Literally fighting each other like children because that's what they are. And as noted, Roman the one kid with enough awareness to say what the show is demonstrating - they are nothing.

No, the explanation given was to Shiv so she could verify it...press release, check with Caroline, etc etc. Kendall wouldn't have outed Greg, he had no reason to do so, and in fact it hurt his interest. (edit - and I'll add, this was like 10 minutes after Kendall got the info leaked to him by Greg, so a little info security doesn't seem like it's too much to expect.)

Re your Michael Mann comment, you seem unaware of the fact that Marcia (if that was her name, to be clear it's the last wife) also worked a deal off screen to get the brownstone. She cast her vote with Logan at a board meeting and then pawned the brownstone to Connor for $60M. That happened off screen or do you think it was a coincidence she showed up out of nowhere and voted her shares with Logan?

You think Shiv went from being (supposedly) wrecked that she was casting the deciding vote to anguishing with her brothers over whether to not cast it with "the family", to being the happy expectant mother literally standing in the front row watching on the sideline while the deal is signed, and that she didn't know exactly what she was doing all the way along? You could see it in her eyes the way she ignored her brothers pleading with her but Tom telling her he had a car ready for them immediately before they signed the document was the giveaway that she knew and she had played ball with him and Mattson. She won the battle between her and the two brothers.

Edited by Chopper

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Right right, Kendall tells the siblings, Shiv tells Tom

Which was what I said - needless sourcing of the info after the truthfulness of it had already been established. Kendall had already given Shiv a cover story and it worked. Why would he fuck it up and tell Roman of all people. Made zero sense, just a dumb plot device.

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

She literally threatened him with voting the other way up until the moment they needed a dramatic plot twist.

No, the explanation given was to Shiv so she could verify it...press release, check with Caroline, etc etc. Kendall wouldn't have outed Greg, he had no reason to do so, and in fact it hurt his interest. 

Re your Michael Mann comment, you seem unaware of the fact that Marcia (if that was her name, to be clear it's the last wife) also worked a deal off screen to get the brownstone. She cast her vote with Logan at a board meeting and then pawned the brownstone to Connor for $60M. That happened off screen or do you think it was a coincidence she show up out of nowhere and voted her shares with Logan?

You think Shiv went from being (supposedly) wrecked that she was casting the deciding vote to anguishing with her brothers over whether to not cast it with "the family", to being the happy expectant mother literally standing in the front row watching on the sideline while the deal is signed, and that she didn't know exactly what she was doing all the way along? You could see it in her eyes the way she ignored her brothers pleading with her but Tom telling her he had a car ready for them immediately before they signed the document was the giveaway that she knew and she had played ball with him and Mattson. She won the battle between her and the two brothers.

do you think Marcia shrewdly advancing her interests means that the Roy children are also cunning and competent?

i never once saw Shiv as a happy expectant mother and doubt she will ever be either happy or a mother in her entire life, since that would require her character to evolve, which would be a departure from what we have been shown throughout the entire series. She dumped the birthday cake in the swimming pool because she didn't get to blow out the candles.

Just now, Celery Man said:

do you think Marcia shrewdly advancing her interests means that the Roy children are also cunning and competent?

i never once saw Shiv as a happy expectant mother and doubt she will ever be either happy or a mother in her entire life, since that would require her character to evolve, which would be a departure from what we have been shown throughout the entire series. She dumped the birthday cake in the swimming pool because she didn't get to blow out the candles.

Well dude you missed 2 points by a mile. First, I was obviously responding to your comment about things specifically not happening off-screen. I gave you a recent instance where it quite obviously did. You somehow missed the obviousness of the same type of thing happening in the finale.

In regards to Shiv, I'm talking specifically about her standing, contentedly, off to the side while the Mattson deal is finalized. Go back and watch if you didn't see her the first time. They later drew attention to her by having Tom whisper in her ear about leaving together. Do you think that happens if it wasn't pre-planned? The other two siblings are wrecked. One goes to the bar the other goes to think about killing himself. Meanwhile Shiv is in the limo. Tom wants to hold her hand and extends his. She merely plops hers on top of his. Another power move by her.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Do you think it's a coincidence that Shiv's hand was on top of Tom's at the end?

While Shiv obviously wasn't competent to run a Fortune 500 company, she was competent enough to beat the hell out of her two sad sack brothers. If you look back on the entire last season she was constantly working on doing just that.

If you don't think there was an entire angle about incompetent white males rising to the top, how do you explain Kendall's lame shtick at the end, and another thing that sounded forced and out of character, esp given the circumstance, "But I'm the eldest son (so I deserve it)!"

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Lol, what a terrible reading of the meaning of that scene. 

2 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

lol I swear to god every single long TV series thread ends up with people complaining about "lazy writing" and "bad pacing"

so predictable

This is both of you: "This show is brilliant satire! Absolutely fucking brilliant. I have no idea what the satire was about. But I could tell it was brilliant because they used handheld cameras and it was so pretty and glitzy!"

man, someone is really angry about not liking the ending lol...

i mean it seems like most of the posters here predicted this exact ending (deal going thru, Mattson pulling the rug out from under Shiv, Tom and/or Greg getting the crown and all three siblings getting cut out)...seems it fit perfectly with most expectations. i thought so.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, mchookem said:

man, someone is really angry about not liking the ending lol...

i mean it seems like most of the posters here predicted this exact ending (deal going thru, Mattson pulling the rug out from under Shiv, Tom and/or Greg getting the crown and all three siblings getting cut out)...seems it fit perfectly with most expectations. i thought so.

Hmmm. Take a second look and you'll perhaps see which parts didn't quite "align with expectations." And even if they had, what would that have proven? What exactly do you think the satire was about in the finale? I can't believe some of you think the whole thing was about "the Roy siblings get their comeuppance." Really? Dim fucking lot.

Perhaps you're familiar with the concept of picking a side in a discussion, generally opposite the one being dumbly played out before you, and interjecting your own opinion. Or perhaps not.

Edited by Chopper

Michael Mann comment wasn't about nothing ever happening off screen in Succession, it was about this show not being competence porn. If you try and retrofit competent and rational characters underneath the events of the show you're not going to understand it very well.

At the beginning of the show, Shiv wants to be seen as a serious and independent woman when in fact all of her wealth, power, and influence is derived from a powerful man. Nothing changes about that at all except for a slight shift in men.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Michael Mann comment wasn't about nothing ever happening off screen in Succession, it was about this show not being competence porn. If you try and retrofit competent and rational characters underneath the events of the show you're not going to understand it very well.

At the beginning of the show, Shiv wants to be seen as a serious and independent woman when in fact all of her wealth, power, and influence is derived from a powerful man. Nothing changes about that at all except for a slight shift in men.

I didn't argue it was "competence porn." Just that she won the battle among the 3 siblings and at the very minimum, through a power play that was basically handed to her, reached a suitable compromise with her spouse and his new boss.

If people don't think shit went down that wasn't mentioned on-screen, answer this - after Tom assaulted Greg in the bathroom and got the confession that Greg had leaked, he went running off - who do you think he ran to in order to save the deal?

At the end Shiv knew she won, though it was certainly bittersweet. That doesn't mean she was highly competent. Just that she had managed to place herself in the position -- possibly merely through luck -- where she had the power to choose which dumb white male with the big ego got to run the company. She could only choose from those 2. And she chose the least worst/least offensive in her opinion, and the one that provided her with the most benefit. It just so happened those 2 characteristics were on Gojo's side.

45 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I didn't argue it was "competence porn." Just that she won the battle among the 3 siblings and at the very minimum, through a power play that was basically handed to her, reached a suitable compromise with her spouse and his new boss.

If people don't think shit went down that wasn't mentioned on-screen, answer this - after Tom assaulted Greg in the bathroom and got the confession that Greg had leaked, he went running off - who do you think he ran to in order to save the deal?

At the end Shiv knew she won, though it was certainly bittersweet. That doesn't mean she was highly competent. Just that she had managed to place herself in the position -- possibly merely through luck -- where she had the power to choose which dumb white male with the big ego got to run the company. She could only choose from those 2. And she chose the least worst/least offensive in her opinion, and the one that provided her with the most benefit. It just so happened those 2 characteristics were on Gojo's side.

Wait are you saying you think Tom ran off to plan this with Shiv? That is definitely not what happened

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shiv did the right thing.  Kendall or Rome or Kendall and Rome would have screwed everything up in short order.  Take your money and run - her estranged husband being CEO of the new company doesn't really mean shit.  Tom isn't going to make much money as CEO, especially in light of her wealth.  Tom isn't going to have much power - no more power than she can wield with her wealth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

lol Shiv and Tom didn’t plan shit

She called him a motherfucker TO HIS FACE less than 12 hours before the board vote and was whipping votes for Kendall right up until the meeting.

She reverted back to her mean when she realized she was the tiebreaker and had Kendall’s dick in her hand.

She’d rather ride the coattails of a powerful man and turn into her mother than give Kendall any power.

Shiv didn’t make a play for power (Tom has the power now) - she has power with her vote and used it to poke her brother in the eye.

She was going to lose so she chose the man she hated the least.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

She called him a motherfucker TO HIS FACE less than 12 hours before the board vote and was whipping votes for Kendall right up until the meeting.

She reverted back to her mean when she realized she was the tiebreaker and had Kendall’s dick in her hand.

She’d rather ride the coattails of a powerful man and turn into her mother than give Kendall any power.

Shiv didn’t make a play for power (Tom has the power now) - she has power with her vote and used it to poke her brother in the eye.

She was going to lose so she chose the man she hated the least.

Agree with all of this except for the bolded. Tom has nothing but a higher salary, easily expendable at any moment. He is a “pain sponge” for a guy who told him he wants to fuck his wife, and you know the Roy prenup is air tight. 

Tom keeps his watches and suits for the time being, but in no way is he a “winner”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wait are you saying you think Tom ran off to plan this with Shiv? That is definitely not what happened

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

The way you know Tom and Shiv had talked and he knew he had the votes was that when Hugo approached Tom before the meeting, Tom looked right past him and asked about Karolina.

26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Agree with all of this except for the bolded. Tom has nothing but a higher salary, easily expendable at any moment. He is a “pain sponge” for a guy who told him he wants to fuck his wife, and you know the Roy prenup is air tight. 

Tom keeps his watches and suits for the time being, but in no way is he a “winner”.

Tom is interesting because arguably the title suits and watches were what he really wanted?

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The way you know Tom and Shiv had talked and he knew he had the votes was that when Hugo approached Tom before the meeting, Tom looked right past him and asked about Karolina.

Tom and shiv did not plan this. That absolutely is not what happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 9:00 AM, Dbeasy said:

What is so great about this show is that it broke the Hollywood formula. There’s always a hero, a conflict, and a resolution of the conflict. I can’t recall any show or movies I’ve ever watched where every single character is a piece of shit.  You end up pulling for no one.  Genius. 

Yep.  I didn't like a single one of the characters.  And I still watched it.