The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

3 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

It's the same energy as when YGIFS suggests all the Democrats need to do is vote for other Republicans in primaries to get Ted Cruz etc. out of office.

No isnt that was a ridiculous idea. This is just stating that the cities will not be represented by their state government until they use their numeric advantage to overcome the Texas GOP.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

It's the same energy as when YGIFS suggests all the Democrats need to do is vote for other Republicans in primaries to get Ted Cruz etc. out of office.

Yeah, some guys just like to think there's an easy fix to everything and it's someone else's fault that it hasn't been done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Harris County is not like Travis or Dallas counties in being a strong Democrat base. Harris county is also heavy with suburban voters who are very GOP.  We're not going north of 60% in favor of the democrat candidate.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harris County is not like Travis or Dallas counties in being a strong Democrat base. Harris county is also heavy with suburban voters who are very GOP.  We're not going north of 60% in favor of the democrat candidate.

A lot of those GOP suburban voters moved to the suburbs because of the good schools that are now being destroyed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

A lot of those GOP suburban voters moved to the suburbs because of the good schools that are now being destroyed.

interesting analysis that shows how the suburbs of the big counties are experiencing the growth this decade. Lot of dark green in the counties surrounding the large population counties.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/harris-county-grows-suburbs-see-big-change

20-23 growth.JPG

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's weird that he frames it as Harris County's responsibility to save the rest of Texas. Becuase to overturn these changes would require, literally, a sweep of statewide offices and honestly a fuck ton of individual state representatives.

Harris County is being singled out by Abbott and Paxton. Even you don’t deny that they are being singled out.

As I said, it would be great if Travis, Dallas, and Bexar counties joined in with upping their voting, since they could wreck the GOP in Texas, but they aren’t feeling the kind of pressure that is being exerted in Harris County. In a normal world, Republicans and Democrats in Harris County would join in helping to kick our Dear Leaders out of office, or at least make a big push in that direction, in order to keep Paxton and Abbott from wrecking the county.  They could definitely put them on notice.

Now why are Abbott and Paxton (and Goeb) going so hard in the paint on Harris County?  Why are they putting people like Miles in charge of the school district, when he has conflicts of interest and clearly does not give a fuck about the actual students and schools?  In this instance, it sounds like grift.  Biggest county, biggest school district, biggest opportunity for grift.  Wreck the public district and increase pressure for vouchers for private schools.

But why are they trying to remove control of voting in Harris County and move it the state level?  Why are they trying to make it harder to vote in Harris County?  You could make the argument that it was about putting Republicans in charge, because again, biggest county, biggest opportunity for grift, but they seem to have a fear about the voters there, that they don’t have elsewhere in the state (not even the People’s Republic of Travis County).  Almost like they are afraid that the voters might realize what they are doing to Harris County and might show up in larger numbers (or switch or sit the election out).

Edited by atomheartbevo

57 minutes ago, F250 said:

No isnt that was a ridiculous idea. This is just stating that the cities will not be represented by their state government until they use their numeric advantage to overcome the Texas GOP.

The ridiculous idea is that you need 90% voter turnout to fix all of the problems plauging texas, but they're just plauging this one city the most/first so it's on them. 

57 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, some guys just like to think there's an easy fix to everything and it's someone else's fault that it hasn't been done. 

This is all Harris County's fault, y'all. 

31 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I wouldn't count most of them as suburns of Harris County. Not that Katy and whatnot don't have their own issues, but those are all school board related. This is different. All kinds of school districts are being porked in the Houston area right now. Spring Branch, even Memorial are suffering issues. But those aren't HISD. But to your point, no one was moving to "these areas" for the schools. If anything, there were just a few outliers in HISD that still had good schools that are now being violently buttfucked by the dildo of GOP retribution. Oak Forest, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

interesting analysis that shows how the suburbs of the big counties are experiencing the growth this decade. Lot of dark green in the counties surrounding the large population counties.

Having lived and went to school in Fort Bend County many years ago, I can remember in our subdivision and school, it seemed like about three quarters of the kids were not from the Houston area, with a lot of them being from out-of-state or rural areas (thanks to an oil boom).  At winter vacation or spring break, everybody would scatter to other states or other parts of Texas to visit relatives (or we went to Galveston and pretended that was what spring break was really about).  The topic came up at our 20th high school reunion when we were talking about who still lived in the area, and it was interesting how most of us had no connection to the area other than our parents picked it for the schools (while they commuted into Houston proper). Our parents got transferred to Houston by their employers or took a job in Houston, and that was it, and most of our parents had already moved elsewhere 20 years later, either for retirement or job reasons or whatever.  Tom DeLay was my Representative back then.

I see it now hen visiting in-laws and one of my sisters in Montgomery County.  It’s a lot of people from outside of the Houston area moving there and commuting from that area into Harris County/Houston.

The HISD bullshit is somewhat unique, but there is social and financial pressure being applied to most larger districts by Abbott and the Legislature’s actions (or inaction as it were).  Hell, Paxton has lawsuits against multiple counties/districts.

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Harris County is being singled out by Abbott and Paxton. Even you don’t deny that they are being singled out.

As I said, it would be great if Travis, Dallas, and Bexar counties joined in with upping their voting, since they could wreck the GOP in Texas, but they aren’t feeling the kind of pressure that is being exerted in Harris County. In a normal world, Republicans and Democrats in Harris County would join in helping to kick our Dear Leaders out of office, or at least make a big push in that direction, in order to keep Paxton and Abbott from wrecking the county.  They could definitely put them on notice.

Now why are Abbott and Paxton (and Goeb) going so hard in the paint on Harris County?  Why are they putting people like Miles in charge of the school district, when he has conflicts of interest and clearly does not give a fuck about the actual students and schools?  In this instance, it sounds like grift.  Biggest county, biggest school district, biggest opportunity for grift.  Wreck the public district and increase pressure for vouchers for private schools.

But why are they trying to remove control of voting in Harris County and move it the state level?  Why are they trying to make it harder to vote in Harris County?  You could make the argument that it was about putting Republicans in charge, because again, biggest county, biggest opportunity for grift, but they seem to have a fear about the voters there, that they don’t have elsewhere in the state (not even the People’s Republic of Travis County).  Almost like they are afraid that the voters might realize what they are doing to Harris County and might show up in larger numbers (or switch or sit the election out).

Of course they're being singled out. And you're never going to get 90% voter turnout to vote the way to fix the problem. So even framing it like it's incombent on Harris County to achieve that to fix this problem is stupid. 

It's a Texas problem. Everything else you've said I generally agree with, and is somewhat independant of the idea that Harris County can solve this problem for everyone. Hell, even you said, they're taking serious voter suppression tactics to ensure that Harris County can't, in fact, solve this problem even if they get the turnout they want, which will never happen. 

A problem with organizing the Houston/Harris vote is that there is no organization. While I'm sure that Harris and even Texas have a Democrat party, I don't know if either does anything other than small grass root efforts. They don't appear to have a budget or spokespeople to lead an drive. 

Beto is still the main Democrat voice in Texas especially because he can still get booked on national news/talk shows. Hidalgo probably has the pull to get some attention but she hasn't pursued that option. I'm unsure that widespread public speaking is her strength.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The ridiculous idea is that you need 90% voter turnout to fix all of the problems plauging texas, but they're just plauging this one city the most/first so it's on them. 

Nobody is saying that.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But to your point, no one was moving to "these areas" for the schools.

Yeah, actually they were in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, and still are.  A lot of people will happily work in Houston/Harris County, but don’t want the (mostly unfair) reputation of HISD for their kids, and thanks to Miles, it’s going to continue.

When I entered high school, there were three high schools in the district, and 35 years later there are 12 with more planned. It’s not because of kids that moved there in the 80s and 90s stuck around and popped out a bunch of kids either.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Hot Wheels: "It's not my fault schools are fucked. Schools fucked themselves."

https://www.chron.com/news/article/greg-abbott-schools-budget-hisd-19454906.php

take credit for any "win" but losses are at the local or federal level. And when locals try to take control, he passes law taking the power out of their hands.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, F250 said:

Nobody is saying that.

His math is saying that. That's what the turnout would be required, and all voting D, for Harris County to flip Texas blue, and start the changes at the top from governor down. Nevermind flipping out state rep spots. It's not like I'm sitting here arguing Harris County can't do better, shouldn't do better. They just need to go from 60% turnout to 90% turnout. No big deal. 

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, actually they were in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, and still are.  A lot of people will happily work in Houston/Harris County, but don’t want the (mostly unfair) reputation of HISD for their kids, and thanks to Miles, it’s going to continue.

When I entered high school, there were three high schools in the district, and 35 years later there are 12 with more planned. It’s not because of kids that moved there in the 80s and 90s stuck around and popped out a bunch of kids either.

I think you have the point I was attempting to make backwards. Because while folks might be moving into The Heights, or Oak Forest, or even the rarer places like Bellaire to live in close proximity for schools, no one (except Bellaire) is moving to those areas FOR the schools. They're willing to stomach the schools. People used to move to Oak Forest for schools, but probably not anymore more. Now schools are something those people will tolerate for location to other things. 

The places you're talking about that have grown from 3 schools to 12 (Cy fair, Katy) aren't HISD. They're their own thing. So they aren't suffering the unique HISD issues being discussed. You said people were moving to The Woodlands, Katy, Cy Fair for the schools. I, as a child of Klein when it was a highly ranked educational district, understand this. I was saing no one has moved to HISD for the schools. We were basically saying the same thing. Below is a map of HISD. 

image.png

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

His math is saying that. That's what the turnout would be required, and all voting D, for Harris County to flip Texas blue, and start the changes at the top from governor down. Nevermind flipping out state rep spots. It's not like I'm sitting here arguing Harris County can't do better, shouldn't do better. They just need to go from 60% turnout to 90% turnout. No big deal. 

I meant nobody is blaming Harris county. You are insisting that this is about shaming Harris or something which is a weird take.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I meant nobody is blaming Harris county. You are insisting that this is about shaming Harris or something which is a weird take.

As you pointed out, the guy has repeatedly shown up in threads saying "Well, if the people of harris county just voted, this wouldn't happen." Here's one from just Sunday.

On 5/12/2024 at 4:38 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The people of Houston/Harris County could fix this if they showed up at the polls in larger numbers in November…..

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As you pointed out, the guy has repeatedly shown up in threads saying "Well, if the people of harris county just voted, this wouldn't happen." Here's one from just Sunday.

Fine. @atomheartbevo is a major asshole that hates Houston because it fucked his girlfriend back in the 80's.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Fine. @atomheartbevo is a major asshole that hates Houston because it fucked his girlfriend back in the 80's.

The only thing I hate about Houston is Bud Adams and he’s dead.  Thankfully he died alone in Houston and hopefully it took a while and he had hours or days of agony.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, F250 said:

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not about blaming/shaming Harris County, it's that right now, the "attacks" or whatever you want to call what Abbott and Paxton are doing, are focused on Harris County (richest target and a good test bed for fuckery elsewhere). Unfortunately in Texas, when it comes to things like voting and public schools and local political issues, the rest of the state generally doesn't give too much of a shit about any other part of the state until it affects them directly.   Austin came close to having the state take over its schools, but it didn't, and Austin-area voters barely keep up with what's going on in AISD and the other area ISDs, let alone districts three hours away.

Based on the conflicts of interest with Miles and others (including TEA members), and based on Abbott pushing vouchers because a Pennsylvania billionaire tossed millions at him and made him spin around, and based on how Abbott/Paxton/the Legislature seem to be working to eventually take over the voting of Dallas/Travis/Bexar counties (and the school districts), this shitshow is going to come to the next 3-4 largest counties.

The only light at the end of the tunnel might be things like abortion bans increasing turnout in general.

In the meantime, the people of Harris County cannot count on the folks in Travis, Bexar, and Dallas counties to ride to the rescue.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas tax dollars are funding charter schools in Colorado? It never occurred to me that these charter schools are part of companies that go across borders and it’s only an accounting function to move money around.

it should be a criminal act of their leaders to steal tax dollars in that manner.

Hoo boy. Brett Shipp is the last person you want investigating you. This will be the end of Mike Miles and his charter grift by the time Shipp and his team are done. If I had a grave pissing tour like some of you do, well, Miles would be at the top of the list once he becomes worm food.

47 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

The first wave of passionate revolutionists are often tossed aside by the second wave.

I recall in my Russian history class at UT how the Soviet purges often jailed/killed the original Bolsheviks because they finally had their eyes opened to the truth of their leaders as frauds. Not that I will care but time will prove how even MTG will get thrown to the wolves by her current supporters.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@HenryJames great link from the Texas Tribune. I encourage others to read it if only to reinforce what you already know about the far right extremists.

People threatening school board members with weapons in public meetings? These people just don't want books taken out of the library, they want a Christian dictatorship.

Related article, also from the Tribune. The same reformed school board member claims how the west Texas billionaires are funding candidates, like her former self, to further the voucher debate. https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/15/texas-tim-dunn-wilks-brothers-vouchers-courtney-gore/

Which makes sense. Their rhetoric and extremist school board members erode faith in public schools on both sides of the aisle. And they can't have one of their candidates say the emperor has no clothes. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@HenryJames great link from the Texas Tribune. I encourage others to read it if only to reinforce what you already know about the far right extremists.

People threatening school board members with weapons in public meetings? These people just don't want books taken out of the library, they want a Christian dictatorship.

Related article, also from the Tribune. The same reformed school board member claims how the west Texas billionaires are funding candidates, like her former self, to further the voucher debate. https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/15/texas-tim-dunn-wilks-brothers-vouchers-courtney-gore/

Which makes sense. Their rhetoric and extremist school board members erode faith in public schools on both sides of the aisle. And they can't have one of their candidates say the emperor has no clothes. 

It was a great article. It was nice to see someone who'd drank the kool-aid actually about face when confronted with facts and data and take a hard, public stand. 

Sure, she's probably going to be burned as a witch. But good for her. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, it was a great read when it was posted 2 hours ago and several other folks have posted thoughts on the article.

/ducks

Who fucked you in the ass this morning?

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When in doubt as to why these folks are doing this remember it is ALWAYS about money. They have zero shame in profiting off of your children’s education or now lack thereof. The charter school spigot turned on another government revenue stream and it will only grow much larger going forward in Texas. Even here in New York they want permission to increase the amount of charter schools in the state. Greed does not know state boundaries.

• Like 2

Miles came out defending his old charter school system. He says that the Texas schools only transferred funds to pay for the corporate services, and that the HQ was in Colorado. Everything according to him is legal. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the laws are grey when it comes to charter school (mis)management. It's very possible that they are allowed to transfer reasonable funds to an out of state corporate office and that our representatives purposefully let reasonable be undefined.

Weirdly Miles is standing on fact that he hadn't worked for the charter school as an exec/employee in over a year. Of course he's been a consultant with them since he's had the HISD top job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Miles came out defending his old charter school system. He says that the Texas schools only transferred funds to pay for the corporate services, and that the HQ was in Colorado. Everything according to him is legal. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the laws are grey when it comes to charter school (mis)management. It's very possible that they are allowed to transfer reasonable funds to an out of state corporate office and that our representatives purposefully let reasonable be undefined.

Weirdly Miles is standing on fact that he hadn't worked for the charter school as an exec/employee in over a year. Of course he's been a consultant with them since he's had the HISD top job.

This.  All the loopholes are written in their intentionally.

Which is very important with respect to my plans for Brisketexan's FreedomEagleGunLibertyJesus Academy for Patriotic Children.  If I just so happen to make millions of of this scheme plan, why do you hate free enterprise and capitalism?

• Hook 'Em 1

The hits keep coming. Cy-Fair, Texas' 3rd largest school district just banned teachers from teaching that vaccines have saved lives from smallpox, polio and COVID. Climate change is forbidden to be spoken.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/tomlinson/article/school-board-christian-nationalist-purge-19450783.php

How I think of myself in Texas.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The hits keep coming. Cy-Fair, Texas' 3rd largest school district just banned teachers from teaching that vaccines have saved lives from smallpox, polio and COVID. Climate change is forbidden to be spoken.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/tomlinson/article/school-board-christian-nationalist-purge-19450783.php

How I think of myself in Texas.

Yup, this is my district, and it's quite the learning experience I'm going through right now. The measure to remove chapters of science books that cover vaccines, climate change, diversity and other topics came towards the end of a 5 hour board meeting. This was after parents were allowed to talk (1 minute each), budget discussions, awards, staff changes, announcements, etc, it was not on the published agenda. There was no expert testimony about it, there wasn't much discussion at all, just the opinions of several board members that don't have any background in these subjects. The board voted 6-1 to exclude those topics and that was it, it took less than 30 minutes. Really a shame that my kids are going to have to go through this dumb culture war over topics that these people don't understand, but here we are. My first kid is going to kindergarten in the Fall, so it won't hurt him much right now, but in a few years those topics should be covered. 

In the meantime, we are facing a $138m deficit in Cyfair. We are losing 2/3 of our librarians, and the ones that are retained will be assigned to multiple campuses. Other staff like janitors, teachers, summer classes, etc are being cut as well. A lot of it is due to being underfunded by the state, who is currently withholding tax dollars to public schools because Abbot will not sign any increases until vouchers are passed in some form.  That amounts to ~$1100 a student across the state, and about 20% less funding overall.  That's significant, and I certainly don't know any family or business that wouldn't be severely impacted by being forced to live off their 2019 budgets today, so it's pretty sad to see Abbott trying to blame it on the ISDs for not being better money managers.  

If yall are in Texas, and whether you have kids in school or not, please look into your local school board elections and vote. It really does matter, I know a couple of our board members won by slim margins. They were all within 2-3k votes of the normal people who care about education. 3 of the dumbasses that voted for this will be up for re-election in 2025, and I hope we can dump them if we can raise awareness and get out the vote. 

• Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I call bullshit. These charter schools receive public funds so they should be subject to the Public Information Act. Even the ones in Colorado if part of the Texas chain of schools. Keep digging. Even as shady as his explanation is, it's probably false and Texas dollars are flowing to those schools themselves and directed to the "administration" (i.e., the pockets of Miles and whoever he decides). Cool fact is, the PIA is administered by .... Paxton's office.  

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yup, this is my district, and it's quite the learning experience I'm going through right now. The measure to remove chapters of science books that cover vaccines, climate change, diversity and other topics came towards the end of a 5 hour board meeting. This was after parents were allowed to talk (1 minute each), budget discussions, awards, staff changes, announcements, etc, it was not on the published agenda.

I've looked at the agenda for the May 6th meeting.  https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/668?meeting=634325

I would agree that nothing on there would put the public on notice that they were considering this action (there's this item: "7.B. The Board will consider approving the district instructional material recommendations for the 2024-2025 school year," but that does not put anyone on notice that the board might be modifying or setting new material policies at the meeting.  It does not pass the Texas Open Meetings Act standard.).

Sec. 551.041. NOTICE OF MEETING REQUIRED. A governmental body shall give written notice of the date, hour, place, and subject of each meeting held by the governmental body.

And from the Texas AG's open meetings handbook:

B. Sufficiency The notice must be sufficient to apprise the general public of the subjects to be considered during the meeting.

That's a legal test, depends on the verbiage, but looks like the public has a pretty good argument that no notice was given of that contemplated action.  The action of the board taken in violation of the law is voidable:

Section 551.142 of the Act provides as follows: (a) An interested person, including a member of the news media, may bring an action by mandamus or injunction to stop, prevent, or reverse a violation or threatened violation of this chapter by members of a governmental body. (b) The court may assess costs of litigation and reasonable attorney fees incurred by a plaintiff or defendant who substantially prevails in an action under Subsection (a). In exercising its discretion, the court shall consider whether the action was brought in good faith and whether the conduct of the governmental body had a reasonable basis in law.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I call bullshit. These charter schools receive public funds so they should be subject to the Public Information Act. Even the ones in Colorado if part of the Texas chain of schools. Keep digging. Even as shady as his explanation is, it's probably false and Texas dollars are flowing to those schools themselves and directed to the "administration" (i.e., the pockets of Miles and whoever he decides). Cool fact is, the PIA is administered by .... Paxton's office.  

I’m sure Paxton will be helpful in assisting the media in obtaining those records. I can’t see a valid reason that any Texas school tax funds are flowing to an out of state school/headquarters. 

stories like this will be child’s play if Abbott has his way with vouchers. Millions if not billions will flow into private investors. Our kids will graduate high school thinking the earth is 4,000 years old, and Jesus grew up with a pet dinosaur.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Our kids will graduate high school thinking the earth is 4,000 years old, and Jesus grew up with a pet dinosaur.

Which is exactly what they want.  Christo-fascism my friend.

learn-it-know-it-live-it.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m sure Paxton will be helpful in assisting the media in obtaining those records. I can’t see a valid reason that any Texas school tax funds are flowing to an out of state school/headquarters. 

stories like this will be child’s play if Abbott has his way with vouchers. Millions if not billions will flow into private investors. Our kids will graduate high school thinking the earth is 4,000 years old, and Jesus grew up with a pet dinosaur.

Yeah Third Futures Schools put out a press release saying media has it all wrong and "We take our commitment to financial transparency very seriously. All of our budgets, audits, and board documents can be found HERE."  Here being a link to this page:  https://thirdfuture.org/financial-transparency/ 

If you go to it you quickly realize they are full of shit.  Latest year is 2022 and majority of the documents listed don't have anything attached to it.  Most of their 11 schools have nothing attached for any year they list.

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah Third Futures Schools put out a press release saying media has it all wrong and "We take our commitment to financial transparency very seriously. All of our budgets, audits, and board documents can be found HERE."  Here being a link to this page:  https://thirdfuture.org/financial-transparency/ 

If you go to it you quickly realize they are full of shit.  Latest year is 2022 and majority of the documents listed don't have anything attached to it.  Most of their 11 schools have nothing attached for any year they list.

It's not meant to stand up to scrutiny - only be a link for useful idiots that think Twitter videos are objective reality and lack the criticality to click through for themselves 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1