Actors best and worst performance

closetohumping

Did Clint cry in Paint Your Wagon? I rest my case.

If Bridges of Madison County were a musical with Lee fucking Marvin I would say it was worse. Paint Your Wagon is bad enough to make you swear off movies forever. My mother took me with her to see it when I was a kid and under today’s laws would have been charged with child abuse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Ben affleck:

best:the accountant

worst: first Batman though I never saw gigli

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

I never saw Gigli but Daredevil was much, much worse than his version of Batman, which I actually liked.

And I thought he was great in Argo (fuck yourself)

Some time not too long after Good Will Hunting, I instituted a Ben Affleck movie ban after he put out crap movie after crap movie.  I refused to see any movie with him for years.

Then one day I was flipping through the HBO channels and came across The Town.  My first instinct at seeing Ben was to change the channel.  But something about whatever scene was playing drew me in, and I watched until the end, and then waited until it came on again to start from the beginning.  I think that movie is outstanding, and Ben was so good in it that I lifted the Ben Affleck movie ban.  I think that's his best performance (but I haven't seen The Accountant). 

And since then, I agree with utee94 that he was a good Batman.  I liked Batman v. Superman more than most, and thought Justice League was just meh, but not because of any performance issues by Affleck.  And he was also great in Argo.  And very good in Gone Girl.

Not one of my favorite actors, but he's gotten better with age.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Bushwood said:

John Candy

Best: Planes, Trains, Automobiles

Hands fucking down his best performance, and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

His worst of the films I've seen is Armed and Dangerous.  But I didn't see any of the movies during the last few years before his death (e.g., Cool Runnings, Wagons East, Canadian Bacon).

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hands fucking down his best performance, and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

His worst of the films I've seen is Armed and Dangerous.  But I didn't see any of the movies during the last few years before his death (e.g., Cool Runnings, Wagons East, Canadian Bacon).

Yea, he's hilarious in Canadian Bacon! Would recommend. 😊

He was tremendous in Uncle Buck, but PTA was likely his best.

John Candy has been in plenty of bad movies where he collected a paycheck and phoned it in.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Some time not too long after Good Will Hunting, I instituted a Ben Affleck movie ban after he put out crap movie after crap movie.  I refused to see any movie with him for years.

Then one day I was flipping through the HBO channels and came across The Town.  My first instinct at seeing Ben was to change the channel.  But something about whatever scene was playing drew me in, and I watched until the end, and then waited until it came on again to start from the beginning.  I think that movie is outstanding, and Ben was so good in it that I lifted the Ben Affleck movie ban.  I think that's his best performance (but I haven't seen The Accountant). 

And since then, I agree with utee94 that he was a good Batman.  I liked Batman v. Superman more than most, and thought Justice League was just meh, but not because of any performance issues by Affleck.  And he was also great in Argo.  And very good in Gone Girl.

Not one of my favorite actors, but he's gotten better with age.

I also liked his Batman. The Accountant and Argo are two films where I enjoyed his performance. I haven't seen his entire catalog, but if I recall he has had some significant personal struggles just as many folks do and whether that has affected his work/career (pretty hard not to) now and then, it wouldn't surprise me but it's also none of my business beyond that other than to wish him well.

When he is good, he is quite good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, closetohumping said:

Christian bale

best- everything?   Guy has some fucking range

worst?  Haven’t seen a bomb yet

I just watched Vice--had never seen it--and I found myself thinking that Bale reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis.

He actually becomes whoever he's portraying, and it's not just about the physical transformation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Marg Helgenberger…most of her performances have been pretty solid. She always gets work but I have no idea wtf she was doing with her acting in Bad Boys. 

Also, Paul Rudd in Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. Just straight up bizarre and yet awesome at the same time. Ummm…yes, it’s a grown Tommy Doyle coming face to face with Michael after all those years BUT wtf…best weirdest acting ever. Starts at the beginning of the clip. I’m mesmerized by it. I can’t not watch it repeatedly. I get Paul Rudd plays Paul Rudd in nearly every movie and I think this was his first role/major role…but dayum.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I just watched Vice--had never seen it--and I found myself thinking that Bale reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis.

He actually becomes whoever he's portraying, and it's not just about the physical transformation.

He lost like 100 pounds for the machinist and it was t like he was a fart. Dude takes roles seriously 

as for Ben affleck I think a lot of his hate comes from him being the quientessential pretty joy but his first Batman sucked 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

George Clooney?

Best   Burn After Reading

I think Clooney was much better in Michael Clayton, which is his best performance in my opinion.

I did love him in Burn After Reading, along with Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich, Swinton, Jenkins, and Simmons. The entire cast brought their A+ game in that movie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

George Clooney?

Best   Burn After Reading

Worst  Leatherheads  

I’d write some more but I’m coming down with a case of Lactose Reflux  

Where would you rank Up In The Air?

I wouldn't categorize Monuments Men as his best, but he did all right in that one. Enjoyed the ensemble cast in that one.

@closetohumping--funny you tag Ben Affleck as a pretty boy;  handsome in his prime sure, but I wouldn't call him 'pretty' even when younger-- that term seems more applicable to a young Brad Pitt type.

Jon Cusack--Best: Grosse Point Blank? Runaway Jury? Being John Malkovich?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Clooney was great in Michael Clayton. I can’t watch Up in the Air because I used to fly over a hundred thousand miles a year on American for about fifteen years and the whole movie just makes me nauseous now. 

Clooney was born to be Danny ocean.  He crushed it

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If Bridges of Madison County were a musical with Lee fucking Marvin I would say it was worse. Paint Your Wagon is bad enough to make you swear off movies forever. My mother took me with her to see it when I was a kid and under today’s laws would have been charged with child abuse.

You’re a pussy, plain and simple.  PYW is greatness. 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Best - boogie nights 

worst - mission impossible villain

I’m a big PSH fan, so I’m not sure about this. MI: III might have been HIS worst role, but he was the best mission impossible villain and I thought was very good in that movie. 

33 minutes ago, Augustus said:

You know, it's been so long I'd forgotten about that film.

But you're absolutely right, he was fantastic in that role.

Just watched it again last week.  You really forget that it is him playing a part.  He just nails the whole Bill Clinton vibe.  Emma Thompson also has Hillary down pat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tough to find a bad role for PSH but maybe

Art Howe in Moneyball

or

the Sooner in Twister
I don't think he was bad in Twister, it was just a small, forgettable part. Was having a conversation with a friend about Jack Black movies a while back and she said something about him being in Twister. After a few minutes of questions, turns out she was thinking of PSH's character.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, closetohumping said:

matt Damon 

worst: talented mr ripley

could not disagree more...not liking a movie is not the same as a terrible performance. Ripley was Damon's best performance by far IMO...he was incredible and he should have been nominated for an Oscar over Jude Law. Ripley is one of my top ten movies, primarily based on his performance. 

Eastwood has made many great movies, but he has no acting range whatsoever. 

42 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I don't think he was bad in Twister, it was just a small, forgettable part. Was having a conversation with a friend about Jack Black movies a while back and she said something about him being in Twister. After a few minutes of questions, turns out she was thinking of PSH's character.

Kinda like Jack Black in Enemy of the state