Actors best and worst performance

closetohumping

48 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

King Kong... I guess.  I saw this as a teenager when it came out.  For some reason, I mostly remember Jessica Lange.

To be honest, I have a bit of a soft spot for the movie, but it hasn't exactly aged well.

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Damn...never even heard of that. Must have been when he needed the money.

I think it was one of his first roles.  I've actually only seen Critters 1 & 2.  He probably killed it in 3.  I've never seen the Man in the Iron Mask either, but judging by the lack of listing that as Leo's worst he was probably good in that as well.

18 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Is Newman’s worst better than Redford ‘s best?  I’m gonna have to think on that.  Not that Redford sucks or anything it’s just that Newman kicks ass. 

F6F8F558-ECF5-428A-9554-EE5A470D184E.gif.db10a7848c874d929e184d6f404e3fab.gif

I dunno, Quintet is pretty bad(Newman).  Have always been indifferent towards Redford so cant say I went out of my way to watch any of his movies.  

On 7/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, slorch said:

Edward Norton

Best- Primal Fear

Worst- The Incredible Hulk

On 7/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, closetohumping said:

He's just a great actor.  

AHX was really good, but I agree that overall he's done some great work. I cry buckets whenever I watch The Painted Veil. It's a slow movie and slightly different than the novel but I enjoy it.

I'll add two:

Renee Zellweger--the Best category is difficult because I have sentimental favorites. Maybe Chicago or Judy but she was really special in Jerry Maguire.

Worst: Possibly Down With Love. I haven't seen all of her films.

Julia Roberts-- Best Erin Brockovich but Pretty Woman gets a close second.

Worst: Dying Young.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Is Newman’s worst better than Redford ‘s best?  I’m gonna have to think on that.  Not that Redford sucks or anything it’s just that Newman kicks ass. 

It’s okay to say Redford sucks, because he does. Most overrated actor in history with the emotional range of a cardboard box.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/5/2022 at 3:04 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Robert Duvall

Best: All of them

Worst: None of them

Some highlights would be:

• The Apostle
  • The Godfather I & II
  • Lonesome Dove
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Tender Mercies
  • The Great Santini
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Sling Blade
  • True Grit

Not his fault but that movie where he played Vince Vaughn’s dad was pretty bad.  The one with Reese Witherspoon 

Newman:  Cool Hand Luke?  The Verdict?  Hud?  The Hustler?  Color of Money?  

Newman.

Best acting: The Hustler
Best movie: Cool Hand Luke
Favorite role: Hud
Favorite movie: Slap Shot

Others: Harper, the Sting, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Paris Blues

Worst movie: Winning, the Silver Chalice
Worst role: Rally Round the Flag, Boys
Worst character: judge Roy Bean, Earl Long
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Newman.

Best acting: The Hustler
Best movie: Cool Hand Luke
Favorite role: Hud
Favorite movie: Slap Shot

Others: Harper, the Sting, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Paris Blues

Worst movie: Winning, the Silver Chalice
Worst role: Rally Round the Flag, Boys
Worst character: judge Roy Bean, Earl Long

This one isn't too bad either:

Val Kilmer
Best
image.png.b96c3212ea35c6128e0bc4665b269100.png
Worst
the-set-of-the-island-of-dr-moreau-was-a-constant-fight-photo-u1?auto=format&q=60&fit=crop&fm=pjpg&dpr=2&w=375
Honorable Mention but not his fault (Snowman)
the-snowman-val-kilmer.jpg?w=529

I have Val Kilmer scoring 100/100 as

Gay Perry
John Holmes
Doc Holliday
Jim Morrison
Chris Knight
Iceman (Top Gun I)
Nick Rivers

and probably his role i. Spartan and maybe Cunthe in MacGruber

Most of his post-2000 resume would embarass Nic Cage

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I have Val Kilmer scoring 100/100 as

Gay Perry
John Holmes
Doc Holliday
Jim Morrison
Chris Knight
Iceman (Top Gun I)
Nick Rivers

and probably his role i. Spartan and maybe Cunthe in MacGruber

Most of his post-2000 resume would embarass Nic Cage

His Doc Holliday was so good he made Dennis Quaid look like Randy Quaid

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, Red Five said:

Think worst has to go to Robin Hood. I don't think I've ever seen an actor just give up on an accent mid-movie before. 

They don't usually film scenes in sequence. Maybe his accent got better as the filming went on?

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It’s okay to say Redford sucks, because he does. Most overrated actor in history with the emotional range of a cardboard box.

This really stands out when contrasted directly with Newman in Butch C and The Sting.

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

didn't realize the movie was that old.

I saw it on television a long time ago, and I really liked it. My husband likes watching films with John Malkovich and I think that and also that Spielberg was the director was the reason we started watching.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Not his fault but that movie where he played Vince Vaughn’s dad was pretty bad.  The one with Reese Witherspoon 

That movie, Four Christmases, isn’t so bad and Duvall is fine in it. I don’t really turn my brain on when it’s on tv. The scenes where they go to Duvall’s house to open presents and install the satellite is one of the best parts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

If you think his acting is bad, go look at some of his directing. Milagro Beanfield War? Garbage. 

It's your thread CTH so your rules, but after some thought about it, I'd like to qualify my response with an it depends.

To quote:

M. Gustave: I'm not angry with Serge; you can't blame someone for their basic lack of moral fiber. He's a frightened little yellow-bellied coward. It's not his fault, is it?

Zero: I don't know, it depends.

M. Gustave: Well, you can say that about most anything, "it depends". Of course it depends.

Zero: Of course it depends, of course it depends.

M. Gustave: Yes, I suppose you're right; of course it depends. However, that doesn't mean I'm not going to throttle the little swamp rat.

(from The Grand Budapest Hotel-2014, directed by Wes Anderson, scene between Ralph Fiennes as Monsieur Gustave and Tony Revolori as Zero Moustafa.

~~~~~~~Spoiler for the Long Ass TL/DR folks

Spoiler

My husband loves this movie and loves that exchange. Honestly, I didn't sit down to watch it with him (we didn't see it in a theater) the first time he saw it, but whenever it's showing, he will watch it and at some point during one of those viewings I managed to see it and loved it and love it more every time. Which  is my qualified wishy washy  answer. As viewers of art (regardless of medium) we approach it with all sorts of things going on in our lives just as the artists (and I would suppose on a film set there are many from the director, cast, and crew) have their own private lives and the immediate moment with which to deal. This Anderson  film came out during a rather unsettling time for our family and I missed all of the buzz during the awards season and so on. Having the opportunity to watch multiple times helps one to focus, notice, and reflect.

There is a scene in the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair  (1999) where Pierce Brosnan's character is sitting in front of a painting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If you've not seen the movie, he is a wealthy patron of the museum and additionally lends some of his personal collection to the gallery. I don't recall the exact remarks, but one of the security guards, with whom Crown is on a first-name basis, chides Crown about sitting in front of the same painting. Crown responds along the lines of "I don't know, Jimmy, I just like my haystacks." Having the luxury of a long term affair with an artist's  creation allows for quiet contemplation of all of the elements of it. I don't know if that is good or bad-- I mean sometimes that first sudden response is key, but with age and maturity, now I am not so sure. I rather like roaming around the elephant and figuring what it's all about. So, it depends; of course it depends, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to throw some movies under the bus....

• Hook 'Em 1

Robert Duvall

Best: All of them

Worst: None of them

Some highlights would be:

• The Apostle
  • The Godfather I & II
  • Lonesome Dove
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Tender Mercies
  • The Great Santini
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Sling Blade
  • True Grit

Seems to have left out one of the best performances ...

aa38de0417e16e3a8d9385e13386d07c--lion-q

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Similar to Robert Duval . . .

Michael Keaton: 

Best: Just about everything

Worst: Not really much

Even movies that are just meh, like Speechless, he’s still great.

Re: Duvall.  People cited it above as great, but I think Open Range was such a cookie cutter formulaic western that I didn't like it.  The very fact that they cast Duvall made it seem cookie cutter.  So I'll say that as his worst simply because the type casting was lame.  Best could be a ton of things, but Tom Hagan will always be way up there.

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ben affleck:

best:the accountant

worst: first Batman though I never saw gigli 

I never saw Gigli but Daredevil was much, much worse than his version of Batman, which I actually liked.

And I thought he was great in Argo (fuck yourself)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, Red Five said:

How bad of a selection can it be if he won Best Actor for it.

Meh.  Oscars are fun and all, but do Paul Newman and see how long it takes to get to Color of Money.  

Paul Newman

Best:  Hud.  I mean The Verdict.  No wait, Cool Hand Luke.  

Worst:  Nothing, because he was perfection.  Or it was probably something early in his career.  

• Hook 'Em 1