Austin FC

Bottlecap

I thought Stuver could have done better on goal 3 but he was probably gobsmacked that Kip let the dude get by.  

So long as Kip is on Austin FC II (or just not on field) I’ll shrug this off a bit as a fluke.  The howler alone is a long term benching. Follow that with the third goal mistake and that’s a demotion.  

Zardes showed us in game one what he is and I hope to see more Urruti, as he gets how to play with Driussi and Fagundez.  I wonder if we will miss Moose.   I like Zardes coming in late in games in summer to run at tired defenders, though. 

Was less concerned with Rigoni as others.  He had one instance when he dribbled down the 18 yard line in first half that was super annoying because he had 3 chances to fire one with his left foot. But I’ll give it time. 

Seems weird to me that Driussi is captain as well and wonder if that was part of his deal.  And what does Ring think about it?  Speaking of Ring, as much as I like him, wasting a DP slot on him was a mistake.  

Lots of guys on roster I am not familiar with.  Hope to see some of them next week.  

i've never seen rigoni win a 1v1 duel in any of the matches he's ever played for ATX. He has zero moves, is slower than every LB in the league, and he can't cross for shit. I'm not even sure which is his preferred foot, he's so mid with both. He's simply a JAG with some Italo-argentine swagger. I bet that plays in Honduras or Russia or whatever shitty league we bought him from.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:41 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

That was my first time listening to the podcast and y'all did a great job. Thanks for a good discussion of some of the new players. 

Thanks for listening. We have A LOT to talk about tomorrow. And one thing from last week re: Keller came true way earlier than we hoped

“…it could be a big question mark when we have to start him or in a game where he has to play significant minutes.”

Whenever possible, we are going to have Apple+ talent on to help us with game previews. Jamie Watson will be on this week for the Montreal preview.

i've never seen rigoni win a 1v1 duel in any of the matches he's ever played for ATX. He has zero moves, is slower than every LB in the league, and he can't cross for shit. I'm not even sure which is his preferred foot, he's so mid with both. He's simply a JAG with some Italo-argentine swagger. I bet that plays in Honduras or Russia or whatever shitty league we bought him from.

Good thing we’re only paying him $4M a year.
  • Rage+1 1

IIRC, Driussi doesn’t speak English. That’s going to be helpful when dealing with refs and non-Spanish speaking teammates.

Correct. It’s a legit handicap. Look, I love the guy - he’s an incredible goal-scorer. But I don’t think he’s a team leader. I have my criticisms of Ring, but for the last two seasons, it’s noticeable how differently they played with him on the field vs off it. Although Gabrielsen really picked up the role as well (and of course, we really miss him).

I'm still stunned with that performance.  Keller was involved in all three goals against Austin, but only one of them was solely on him.  It was his guy that got the header and he should have gotten his head on it first, but Stu was going for the punch out and just missed it.  Stu may have even called Keller off because Keller seemed to duck at the last minute.  Having all of the defenders pushed so far up made the last goal possible.  StLC's game relies on fast breaks and Austin gave them that one.  For whatever reason, Leo did not get back and Keller had to defend that side of the field.  Leo trotted back when he could have been between the opposing player and the goal.  

The pass back to Stroud was ridiculous, though.  Stroud actually called for the ball at his feet and Keller didn't even look up before he passed.  Every one of our defenders has made a stupid pass, whiffed a clearance, or made a stupid play that has resulted in a goal (Stu, Gabrielsen, Cascante, Lima, . . . ) - this one was just the most recent and looked so bad.    

i waited a long time to comment on that game.  i still don't have any words for that absolute shit show...first game knee jerk overreaction notwithstanding.  i knew losing gabrielsen was going to hurt more than most would admit but holy shit.  zardes is lucky AF that keller fucked up so monumentally bad because no one is talking about how utterly feckless and useless he was...the goal miss was awful.  

rigoni, zardes, and the entire back four should probably be replaced by whatever fucking randoms the best area high school team features at those positions.  they are so fucking bad...every one of them.  hopefully we get urruti back out there and driussi, fagundez, and he can get something going offensively. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

On the attacking side, I don't like whatever dynamic is causing Driussi to be wide and Rigoni to be in the middle.  Druissi is our playmaker and needs to be in front of the goal.  Pereira and Wolfe played too much on the outside as well - Austin had no control over the center of the field. 

Wolff decided to fuck with the positioning of Diego and Driussi for….reasons. He talked about it in the postgame presser. Fixing something that wasn’t broken. I’m a common idiot, but even I can tell something looks really off from looking at Driussi’s heat map this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, Bottlecap said:

I'm not giving him much more, but I have a couple more games into this season left in me before I let my true feelings on Rigoni out, and they're pretty much exactly what you're saying. He has earrings and tattoos like Driussi and they're buddy buddy and can throw a good asada with Urruti and Diego, but I want a mfer that performs, not that makes the South Americans feel more at home in Austin. Welp..... that's a lot of my feelings, but I can go harder if he earns it. 

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I asked this earlier upthread, but is the window open to buy a new player? I don't understand the convoluted MLS rules. I don't even know if there is a window or if a guy can leave their club from, say, Europe at any point when MLS comes quietly tapping on the window.

Others have answered, but transfer windows everywhere provide deadlines for incoming transfers. Most of the big European leagues have common windows but they’re different all over the world. 

We are unlikely to transfer a player in from Europe because they can’t replace him.

Edited by skittlebrau

I don't think we can roll with Keller against any team that isn't absolute garbage, so I have to think we will see what Tarek can do since from what I can tell, he is the only other center back we added.  I'm just deducing this based on our roster and his wikipedia page, I really don't know shit, but he was with NY for 3 seasons and it appears he plays or played center back.

If Ring was in form, we could shift him back to help on D, but he is likely half a season from being able to do that.  Pereira and Wolff are not going to give us much there, so I don't see what other options we have unless we can bring someone in very quickly so that they can be ready to play in, I don't know, a month?  Doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

This season is going to be brutal.

5 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I don't think we can roll with Keller against any team that isn't absolute garbage

$20M doesn't qualify as absolute garbage at this level? 

I'm not sure we're going to play many worse sides this season.

8 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Pereira and Wolff are not going to give us much there, so I don't see what other options we have unless we can bring someone in very quickly so that they can be ready to play in, I don't know, a month?

How much would LA want for Acosta.

Oh wait... he isn't a middling, aging striker. Nvm.