Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing, even on Ewers' completions, they are often just a hair off so that the WR can't quite catch it in stride.  There was one yesterday that wasn't and it was a thing of beauty.  Probably nitpicking, but it would be nice if he did that all or most of the time.

I seem to recall a consensus back in the Colt era that he didn't really get going/comfortable until he got hit once (not his shoulder destroyed, but hit after a throw, or on the designated or unplanned scramble).

Ewers seems to need to make a couple of solid completions before he really gets going.  And if those first few passes go incomplete, it's going to be a bit of a struggle for him until they do.

I thought Quinn arguably played his best 2nd half of football. Shit went really bad in the 1st quarter. He completely rebounded. Might be time to let go of some of those old ideas about him. He showed amazing resiliency on Saturday 

• Hook 'Em 1

Colt lost 3 games his Soph year including tOSU at home. Quinn’s second campaign he beat Bama on the road and is half way through the season with one loss.

we shouldn’t compare Quinn’s second year to Colt’s senior year. We really shouldn’t even compare any of Colt’s years to Quinn as Colt had national championship experience with him basically every year. Though I get comparisons have to be made.

Bottom line Quinn is a sophomore he’s doing great imo.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

Colt lost 3 games his Soph year including tOSU at home. Quinn’s second campaign he beat Bama on the road and is half way through the season with one loss.

we shouldn’t compare Quinn’s second year to Colt’s senior year. Nor should we compare any of Colt’s years to Quinn really as Colt had national championship experience with him basically every year. 

Quinn is a sophomore he’s doing great imo.

Quinn was the highest rated QB recruit in the history of the sport though. Which was clearly a mistake in retrospect but it’s partially why expectations are so high for him.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Quinn was the highest rated QB recruit in the history of the sport though. Which was clearly a mistake in retrospect but it’s partially why expectations are so high for him.

VY was rated off the charts and it took him a while too. We are a shitty fan base when it comes to QB treatment and expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not sure he’s not performing to the level. Sweet Jesus who woulda thought we’d complain about 84% completion and a come from behind take the lead with 1:17 to go. It’s like Quinn lost the game at the end or something. It’s not like he’s plugging into a championship team he’s part of the rebuild of the entire program. The kid is doing well imo.

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

Not sure he’s not performing to the level. Sweet Jesus who woulda thought we’d complain about 84% completion and a come from behind take the lead with 1:17 to go. It’s like Quinn lost the game at the end or something. The kid is doing well imo.

I think he’s the least of our worries. I’m just saying why other people expect more.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There were plenty of Texas fans that wanted the last perfectly rated QB to be moved to WR, some of those dumb bastards are still in here 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 3

VY was rated off the charts and it took him a while too. We are a shitty fan base when it comes to QB treatment and expectations. 

We’re a shitty fan base regarding expectations. With unreasonable expectations. But that’s all fan bases. At all levels really.

People can be arrogant and shitty. Any reason sports fans are different?
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We’re a shitty fan base regarding expectations. With unreasonable expectations. But that’s all fan bases. At all levels really.

People can be arrogant and shitty. Any reason sports fans are different?

Well I’m trying to bring reason to the discussion. Sark may not win shit, but his trajectory across all facets of the program and most importantly on the field look impressive two years and 6 games into it.

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I thought Quinn arguably played his best 2nd half of football. Shit went really bad in the 1st quarter. He completely rebounded. Might be time to let go of some of those old ideas about him. He showed amazing resiliency on Saturday 

The Office Thank You GIF

takes a man to say it once while a woman says it for two days non stop. But I don’t care give this man a raise he’s right.  Quinn was a baller yesterday. Straight up. Woulda been a legend yesterday if his defense got a sack on the last series and put OU behind the chains for a win. But that sack didn’t happen and now he’s a schmuck. Dumb shit on this thread.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There were plenty of Texas fans that wanted the last perfectly rated QB to be moved to WR, some of those dumb bastards are still in here 

You are so right!!

I know you know this but these are humans. When you throw a ball you are throwing to an imaginary spot YOU think the guy is going to. If that guy, who is not looking down to make sure he is running a perfectly straight line, drifts off his path a few inches or even a foot the ball isn't going to be perfect. If the QB has to throw over a lineman who is 6'5, the ball may be a touch high. That is why its on the receiver to "make it right", and if it hits their hands catch it. I tell my daughter the same thing as an Outside Hitter in vball. The setter is putting the ball in an imaginary spot in the air she thinks you will be at while a million things are going on. Its your job to go get it and make it right.

People here see a ball a foot off or so and bitch about the QB, when its the receivers job to reroute a step and make it right. That's why I don't bitch so much about throws. I don't really understand people who do. Outside of some of his deep balls he throws a good, catchable ball. When he gets to the NFL where O-lines are more consistent about pass protection he is likely to light it up.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are so right!!

I know you know this but these are humans. When you throw a ball you are throwing to an imaginary spot YOU think the guy is going to. If that guy, who is not looking down to make sure he is running a perfectly straight line, drifts off his path a few inches or even a foot the ball isn't going to be perfect. If the QB has to throw over a lineman who is 6'5, the ball may be a touch high. That is why its on the receiver to "make it right", and if it hits their hands catch it. I tell my daughter the same thing as an Outside Hitter in vball. The setter is putting the ball in an imaginary spot in the air she thinks you will be at while a million things are going on. Its your job to go get it and make it right.

People here see a ball a foot off or so and bitch about the QB, when its the receivers job to reroute a step and make it right. That's why I don't bitch so much about throws. I don't really understand people who do. Outside of some of his deep balls he throws a good, catchable ball. When he gets to the NFL where O-lines are more consistent about pass protection he is likely to light it up.

Have you seen their madden and tecmo bowl records?! 

QE didn’t lose this game, no way it’s on him. Blame Sark clock management, blame 1st and goal from the 1 idiocy, blame the D, blame the refs, all more important to the loss than QE. 

It’s a team sport. I don’t understand the need to absolve certain members of the team from their share of the loss. Quinn is part of this team and his play was far from perfect, so he shares the blame for this loss just like everyone else.

Maybe if he went 31-37 with one turnover that didn’t directly result in points, that would be fair. But, he threw a stupid pass for a pick deep in our own territory on the 2nd offensive play of the game that gave OU an easy 7-0 lead. Just a dumb decision that cost us big time, and meant we were playing from behind from the very beginning.

The second pick I don’t really blame him for. The fumble is mostly on him, and even though it was 3rd down, we gave them the ball on our end of the field, then forced a punt, then drove and settled for a FG, so perhaps that loss of field position was significant?

I’m not blaming Quinn any more or less than anyone else. I think a lot of the blame is directed at the coaches and that’s fair, but none of the good or bad plays happened in a vacuum. It’s a 4 quarter game that we lost by less than a touchdown. We can point to completion percentages or any individual stats, but at the end of the day, we took home a loss, and that’s the only statistic that matters.

8 hours ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:
Was the 2nd interception even 1% his fault? Should have been a TD. 

More on Sanders (it hit him in the fucking hands after all) but throw itself could have been about 2-3 inches lower to make an easier catch. It was also a very tight window...but the throw was catchable and didn't hit a bloU defender until it bounced out of JT's hands. The first int was more on Quinn, but Mitchell didn't seem to be running his route with much urgency...and seemed contact shy all day. I'm thinking Mitchell is nursing some sort of minor injury that hopefully is 100% by the time we go to coug high.

I think there is blame on both Ewers and Sanders for that INT. Ewers throw was a bit high and inside, which led Sanders directly to the OU safety sitting on that route (chest and ribs exposed). That is pretty much the definition of hanging your receiver out to dry. 

And, I think Sanders alligator armed it a bit knowing he was about to get blasted by the safety. He could have made the catch if he caught it clean the first time, but even if he did it may have gotten jarred loose on the hit. That type of throw is asking a lot of a receiver when a defender is sitting in the route and going to blow them up within a fraction of a second of the ball getting there. 

I'm just glad Sanders didn't get concussed or break a rib on the play. We need him healthy the rest of the year. In the end we blocked a punt for a TD right after, so that INT didn't end up hurting us. 

Screenshot_2023-10-09-01-31-35-89_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Look at the INT to Sanders. Ewers throws it too high and into coverage. A lot of Quinn’s throws leave the receiver in a position where he could really get hurt instead of throwing it more accurately. I understand he was throwing over defenders, but why throw it to Sanders at all? Look at the play. On top right corner, it looks like X has his man beat in single coverage. Quinn just has to throw it to the backside corner where only the receiver can get to it. He doesn’t even look this way at all. Quinn was locked into Sanders right from the beginning. 

4 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Look at the INT to Sanders. Ewers throws it too high and into coverage. A lot of Quinn’s throws leave the receiver in a position where he could really get hurt instead of throwing it more accurately. I understand he was throwing over defenders, but why throw it to Sanders at all? Look at the play. On top right corner, it looks like X has his man beat in single coverage. Quinn just has to throw it to the backside corner where only the receiver can get to it. He doesn’t even look this way at all. Quinn was locked into Sanders right from the beginning. 

Ewers is still really weak in his ability to scan the field and find the best receiver to throw the ball too. Some people develop common sense early, others never seem to develop it. Not sure when things will click for Ewers, probably when he's in the NFL a couple of years.

I'm stunning at all of the comments saying "if" he comes back next year. Why wouldn't he come back? Where does he fit in the NFL as the 4th best QB prospect in the draft? I still believe that winning the conference is our destiny this year and I can't imagine him pulling that off thinking he's accomplished enough at the college level to move on to greener pastures. 

Ewers had a decent game. First INT was his bad, although the receiver didn't help much. Second INT, receiver has hands on the ball and doesn't catch it; throw coulda been better, but it looked like it was catchable. Fumble... yeah, that's his bad, although to be fair, he's not expected to run much, and I'll bet he doesn't work with the backs and have Coach Choice whacking at him with toilet plungers to knock the ball out of his hands. Other than Whittington, our receivers don't seem to fight for throws too hard. Help the QB out, yeah?

quinn was what he is...a mixed bag.  first two ints were on him.  first one was all-time horrible and looked like pure jittery nerves.  second one was practically a half-hour late on the throw.  the fumble was super bad because he never should have taken that hit like that given the location on the field.

other than that, he actually played pretty well though we had to settle for a fg after the completed deep pass to xavier where if he throws a better pass, that's a td.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ball was in Sanders hand before he ever got hit.....he bobbled the initial catch which caused the hit to dislodge him. Ewers threw that ball in just about the only place you could given the underneath linebacker. If your picking nits about 2-3 inches when the ball squarely was in Sanders hand that's just plain stupid. If Sanders catches the ball cleanly it's a touchdown and he just gets popped. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

quinn was what he is...a mixed bag.  first two ints were on him.  first one was all-time horrible and looked like pure jittery nerves.  second one was practically a half-hour late on the throw.  the fumble was super bad because he never should have taken that hit like that given the location on the field.

other than that, he actually played pretty well though we had to settle for a fg after the completed deep pass to xavier where if he throws a better pass, that's a td.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

The ball was in Sanders hand before he ever got hit.....he bobbled the initial catch which caused the hit to dislodge him. Ewers threw that ball in just about the only place you could given the underneath linebacker. If your picking nits about 2-3 inches when the ball squarely was in Sanders hand that's just plain stupid. If Sanders catches the ball cleanly it's a touchdown and he just gets popped. 

The guy that was on with Booger McFarland said the second pick was on La Joya.

He stated Joya's feet weren't set, he looked at JT and sent the safety in motion, threw the ball late and that caused the interception.

All that within a fraction of a second.

Not once did he mention JT bobbling the ball.

That was a freak play that doesn't happen often and to place blame on one person is ridiculous. 

Too much happened to deal fault to anyone.

Anyway, who's next?

1 minute ago, Davis Lane said:

The guy that was on with Booger McFarland said the second pick was on La Joya.

He stated Joya's feet weren't set, he looked at JT and sent the safety in motion, threw the ball late and that caused the interception.

All that within a fraction of a second.

Not once did he mention JT bobbling the ball.

That was a freak play that doesn't happen often and to place blame on one person is ridiculous. 

Too much happened to deal fault to anyone.

Anyway, who's next?

I mean watch the replay.....JT bobbles the ball and double clutches before it's dislodged. You can break down it however you want but a clean catch there and he holds onto it IMO.

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude no. That’s a bad throw that put his receiver in a bad position and that’s not even accounting that he’s late on the throw, as he is fairly often.

Edited by hobbes2702

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

JT never has possession of the ball because it was thrown too high. He gets his fingertips on the ball causing it to rotate, and he almost catches the bobble before getting laid out by the defender. 

He’s 6’4” and jumps for the ball but it’s STILL thrown too high, that is on Quinn. How is he supposed to catch it cleanly when it’s thrown so far over his head and can barely get his fingertips on it? Even if he caught it, Quinn put him in a terrible position to get hit by the defender.

You consider that an actual jump with extension? His foot is pretty much on the ground as soon as both hands touch the ball. 

Did you see those arms in the passing window?

You could argue JT was trying to protect himself, but you expect your star NFL tight end to make those plays. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You consider that an actual jump with extension? His foot is pretty much on the ground as soon as both hands touch the ball. 

You could argue JT was trying to protect himself, but you expect your star NFL tight end to make those plays. 

I also expect the QB not to hang his guys out to dry on what should be an easy throw. The passing window is narrowed because Quinn is late. JT takes 4 steps after turning around to look for the ball before Quinn has released it.

Edited by hobbes2702

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Perspective makes it look like the arms in the passing window had a chance, they didn't the ball was past them when the arms extended.  The timing was late, causing those defenders to be where they were at the time of the throw, and too high for Sanders to have a high percentage of success on the catch.  Quicker motion and on the money is what Sark expects with these plays.  Not a lot of margin for error, but when the dude harps on details, this is what he means

He was definitely late, and that helped the LBs get back into the play. But JT had both hands on that ball.

I expect my star guy to make that play. I’m sure he expects better from himself too.

I’m thankful he gave us what he had on Saturday, I just wish he made that play. 

Both INT are on Quinn as is the fumble. All 3 were huge and the first interception turned into points immediately for the sooners. 

The problem I had is for most of the 2nd half save for the fumble scramble Quinn played excellent and Sark didn't trust him even though anyone with eyes could see that he was Alabama Quinn and not Rice Quinn. 

I’m not sure it was entirely late of a throw since it was an RPO and he had to suck the linebackers in with the fake. He gets it out of the mesh point quickly in my opinion. Also, the linebacker seems to read it decently and wasn’t late on his jump in a effort to bat the ball down. With all that said, the throw is still too high, while also being a catchable ball. It sucks that Sanders’ attempt to retain the ball with his left hand while getting struck inadvertently knocked the ball in the air perfectly. Ewers definitely is inconsistent with this route tho. off the top of my head I can remember last year against Iowa State, he missed Sanders wide-open in the red zone and threw it over his head.

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

I’m not sure it was entirely late of a throw since it was an RPO and he had to suck the linebackers in with the fake. He gets it out of the mesh point quickly in my opinion. Also, the linebacker seems to read it decently and wasn’t late on his jump in a effort to bat the ball down. With all that said, the throw is still too high, while also being a catchable ball. It sucks that Sanders’ attempt to retain the ball with his left hand while getting struck inadvertently knocked the ball in the air perfectly. Ewers definitely is inconsistent with this route tho. off the top of my head I can remember last year against Iowa State, he missed Sanders wide-open in the red zone and threw it over his head.

The best part of this play after thinking some is if he catches that ball everyone in this thread that said it wasn't a good pass and too high would literally be creaming themselves that it was such a great throw threading the defenders

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The best part of this play after thinking some is if he catches that ball everyone in this thread that said it wasn't a good pass and too high would literally be creaming themselves that it was such a great throw threading the defenders

Eh, I would lean towards Sanders making a excellent catch in traffic and still a high throw from Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The throw was a little high. My take is that JT got his hands on the ball, and got it knocked loose. The interception part was kinda flukey. Guy who's looking to spend the next several years getting paid bigger bucks to play on Sundays needs to make that catch.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Levi said:

Only way to throw it quicker would be to throw it with his body parallel to the endzone. This is simply a throw that was not great, but gave his TE a chance to make a play. The TE bobbled it from the start, so it had 0 chance of succeeding. We are not even sure Sanders makes that catch if he isnt hit. People are just bitching over the percentages of whose fault it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Only way to throw it quicker would be to throw it with his body parallel to the endzone. This is simply a throw that was not great, but gave his TE a chance to make a play. The TE bobbled it from the start, so it had 0 chance of succeeding. We are not even sure Sanders makes that catch if he isnt hit. People are just bitching over the percentages of whose fault it is. 

I believe he would have made the catch if he wasn't hit. I certainly can't say for certain, so I agree with the qualification. Ball hit his hands, he bobbled it slightly, then it looked like he was in the process of securing the ball as he was hit -- my recollection from the replay. Credit defense for making sure he didn't.

Edited by sith_horn

On 10/8/2023 at 9:33 PM, TwiceHorn said:

One thing, even on Ewers' completions, they are often just a hair off so that the WR can't quite catch it in stride.  There was one yesterday that wasn't and it was a thing of beauty.  Probably nitpicking, but it would be nice if he did that all or most of the time.

I seem to recall a consensus back in the Colt era that he didn't really get going/comfortable until he got hit once (not his shoulder destroyed, but hit after a throw, or on the designated or unplanned scramble).

Ewers seems to need to make a couple of solid completions before he really gets going.  And if those first few passes go incomplete, it's going to be a bit of a struggle for him until they do.

I think a successful scramble also helps to get Ewers' juices flowing. Probably so for most QB's for that matter. So I'm glad that part of his game is there this season. He just needs to wrap the ball up in heavy traffic.

I'm stunning at all of the comments saying "if" he comes back next year. Why wouldn't he come back? Where does he fit in the NFL as the 4th best QB prospect in the draft? I still believe that winning the conference is our destiny this year and I can't imagine him pulling that off thinking he's accomplished enough at the college level to move on to greener pastures. 

The defining trait of his career is chasing the bag. He gone.

Sanders is the first read, it’s an easier throw, and he’s open. Its a rhythm offense.
Quinn is a little late on it and the linebackers recovered from the play fake enough to get into the passing window. 

This. Yeah you could theoretically drop a dime to Worthy for a TD there but also the easy first down to Sanders was there, it was just a half second late. Whole play just looked tentative.

32 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I think a successful scramble also helps to get Ewers' juices flowing. Probably so for most QB's for that matter. So I'm glad that part of his game is there this season. He just needs to wrap the ball up in heavy traffic.

It’s interesting that Texas has opened every game with a short passing concept. 9 passes and 3 runs on the first 2 plays of the games this year.  not going to look at all of them, but highly likely 9 short passing concepts.. Might be a bit of a tell there 

Edited by Codaxx