Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Like being 6-1 as the starting QB? How about beating bama in Tuscaloosa? 245 passes without tossing an Int? 5 rushing TD’s through 7 games as a bang average mobile qb? How about 640 yards and 5 TD’s in his career against blOwU already? I have an irrational hatred for Steph curry the same way you dislike Ewers lol. 

I don't have the bandwidth for this stupid bullshit right now. Yeah he was awesome against Bama. Partially because Sark schemed the shit out of that game and put him in a fantastic position to succeed.

Give Quinn a capri sun and some orange slices. 60 QBs in the country could be 5-1 right now against the rest of our schedule. 

Also - I'm a huge sunshine pumper. I think this is a very good team and I think Quinn has done a good job getting them to 6-1. That doesn't mean that I think he's some amazing QB we should be thanking the football Gods for. 

Like you bolded - I like who puts up #s and wins games. In very short order that won't be Quinnothy. And in very short order I think it will be someone that impresses all of you more than Quinn does.

I might be wrong in that assessment. I sure as fuck hope I'm not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yards/attempt includes YAC. That isn't necessarily a reflection of how deep he's throwing the ball. 

His average depth of target is at 8.3 down from 10.5 in 2022. His total time to throw is at 2.55 up from 2.44 in 2022.

His completion % for 20+ is down very slightly this year. He’s up 20% on the intermediate throws. Some of his numbers are a bit like Card for 2022 more so than Ewers 2022.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I can't wait until Sark gets a real QB under center and all of you realize how fucking ridiculous this babying and apologizing is for this JAG. 

Teams run dime packages against Quinn because they know he isn't good enough to beat them. He doesn't read shit. He doesn't throw guys open. He has a nice completion % because he checks the ball down all the time. 

The sooner we move on from this guy the sooner y'all are going to realize that Sark knows what he's doing. I hope it starts this weekend. 

This is maybe the worst take I’ve seen in years.  You should be ashamed and find some way to repent.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Like you bolded - I like who puts up #s and wins games. In very short order that won't be Quinnothy. And in very short order I think it will be someone that impresses all of you more than Quinn does.

I might be wrong in that assessment. I sure as fuck hope I'm not. 

Posts like this are so weirdly definitive. Even if you end up being right, it’s not based on anything other than wishful thinking at this point. There’s literally no evidence for your belief.

26 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Posts like this are so weirdly definitive. Even if you end up being right, it’s not based on anything other than wishful thinking at this point. There’s literally no evidence for your belief.

I don't find what I said to be definitive at all. I am assuming that the next QB or QBs will be better than Quinn while at the same time entertaining the possibility that they won't be. 

Of course there's no fucking evidence for my belief - it's a prediction based on trends within the program. It isn't wishful thinking it's plotting out a fairly simple trend line based on who our HC is and how we are recruiting. 

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Quinn's biggest issue is he's relatively unrefined. All his injuries in high school combined with losing that year of play really stunted his progress. Also going from a spread, binary, this-or-that system to Sark's full field read system is a pretty big hurdle and I'm starting to believe Sark has picked up on the fact that Texas high school QBs have issues going from a spread to his system. Hence the pattern of not recruiting Texas high school QBs sans Troy Owens who just so happened to play in more of a full field system at CY-Fair.

It does seem like Sark’s offense has been an adjustment for Quinn. However, my biggest frustration with Sark right now is that he is so rigid in what he WANTS to do, that he ignores the things we CAN do. Why aren't we running more empty sets and letting Quinn lean more on his intermediate game while trying to overwhelm teams with our supposedly deep wr talent? Remember Neyor and Cook? Me neither! 

I get that Sark wants to build a consistent identity, but for whatever reason, we can't run the system he wants at its full potential yet. Why not lean more into the advantages that we do have? Atleast 5 quality wr's and a gunslinger qb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

It does seem like Sark’s offense has been an adjustment for Quinn. However, my biggest frustration with Sark right now is that he is so rigid in what he WANTS to do, that he ignores the things we CAN do. Why aren't we running more empty sets and letting Quinn lean more on his intermediate game while trying to overwhelm teams with our supposedly deep wr talent? Remember Neyor and Cook? Me neither! 

I get that Sark wants to build a consistent identity, but for whatever reason, we can't run the system he wants at its full potential yet. Why not lean more into the advantages that we do have? Atleast 5 quality wr's and a gunslinger qb.

No you're right. It's obviously Sark's fault. 

I'm glad some of you are coming to your senses. 

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Truth is somewhere in between these. Quinn is not elite at hitting guys in stride. He constantly sails the ball and even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. NFL throwing windows will be a problem for him. He’s had several fortuitously dropped picks that would be caught by NFL defenders.

He’s also not a JAG. I mean, in the not so distant past we were watching Ewers from last year, Hudson Card, Casey Thompson, freshman Sam Ehlinger, Tyron Swoopes, etc. As Texas fans we should know a pretty good QB when we see one because we have seen plenty that aren’t.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

All good points. Except your weird fascination with me disliking him. I like whoever puts up numbers and wins games. 

I'm standing firmly by my position that we can do better. And I think we will. I think our sets would look more effective and make the D sweat more if we had a QB running them properly. 

He just doesn't find big gains or make big plays in the passing game when it isn't a designed play or read. And I don't know what the YAC breakdown is for this season but it has to be at least half his passing yards.

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Quinn is not accurate at hitting receivers in motion. His timing is one of the big issues with his game.

You guys are weird man so I am going to put you all in one post. Up top it is said that even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. Where? He threw a 50/50 ball to Mitchell in the Bama game that he caught. Who else has caught anything like that this year? Worthy hasn't caught a ball like that in the last 2.

You guys just take things for granted. The guy rarely misses short to intermediate throws.  He throws the middle of the field better than anyone that I see in CFB. We struggle vs one style of defense. Just so happens a lot of the teams we play against employ it. However, look at how Quinn has played vs anyone willing to not have 3 safeties over the top of our receivers.

Penix below threw it 37 times for 309 yards and only 2 balls were thrown between the hashes. Both of them slants. Penix is in a wide open offensive system that forces defenses to be 1v1 all the time. He is rarely ever fitting balls into coverage windows. His throws, while great, are 90% one on one coverage. The video below is all his throws vs Oregon. He throws some absolute darts. However, he sails balls long and wide all the time. He also throws some "trust" balls that his receivers come down with. On throws like that we've made this year only one person has come down with one. Quinn has made some spectacular throws that we have dropped as well. First example is the throw up the sideline to Worthy vs Bama that he fit between two defenders that would've been a TD if not for the drop.

Now for the sake of comparison lets look at Quinn vs the two best defenses he has played with 4 down linemen, Bama and OU. I say that because that's what you are going to see in the NFL. No one is going to run 3 down and drop 8 every play in the NFL because they would get mauled in the run game. So these are the kinds of defenses you would see him go against. These are every throw vs OU and Bama. I want you to notice there are not that many errant throws. In fact, some of the aforementioned "high throws" had to be that way in order to get over hands or defenders underneath. The Sanders throw in the OU game had to be where it was or it gets batted down when you see the behind the QB view. QE is throwing a pretty accurate ball from all kinds of platforms here. We are all emotional about these games and tend to misremember how they went. Let me reiterate. QE only struggles vs the 3 high look, and no team should be able to run that on us with the RBs we've had the last two years. Anyone else we've played the last 2 years who didn't employ it got lit the fuck up. QE, when not facing the flyover, is 132-186(70.96%) 1712 yards 11 TDs 3ints. That is why everyone we play is rolling out the flyover. They would rather face Brooks and the running game than Ewers. You guys may think QE is mediocre, but opposing DCs disagree.

• Hook 'Em 8

a good takeaway from this thread is that you can troll Thatguy into providing any Texas Football clip you want.  He's like a personal football youtube.  Just make a controversial statement about a particular play, player, or scheme and voila....video results w/ descriptions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Imagine what Mike Leach would have been able to do with this team.

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

a good takeaway from this thread is that you can troll Thatguy into providing any Texas Football clip you want.  He's like a personal football youtube.  Just make a controversial statement about a particular play, player, or scheme and voila....video results w/ descriptions.

Yeah but why doesn't anyone ever mention Bobby Layne? Aint no way Bobby loses 2009 Bama and has this team undefeated!

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

We struggle vs one style of defense. Just so happens a lot of the teams we play against employ it. However, look at how Quinn has played vs anyone willing to not have 3 safeties over the top of our receivers.

Of course they’re going to deploy it. They don’t have the same dumb ass DC that Texas is trotting out. Sark and Quinn (if they have any more games together) have to figure out how to beat that.

Brooks is doing really well against it so far.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Give Quinn a capri sun and some orange slices. 60 QBs in the country could be 5-1 right now against the rest of our schedule. 

Although I don't agree with you, I respect that you have your opinion and you're sticking to it.

However, you think there are SIXTY QBs that could've beat Bama in Tuscaloosa? There are only 65 power 5 teams, so you think almost any P5 starting QB would've been 5-1? Hudson Card? Haynes King? Whomever tf is at Iowa?

I think there are maybe 10 QBs who would be 5-1 or better right now on our team. You start looking like a clown when you say something like 60.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are weird man so I am going to put you all in one post. Up top it is said that even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. Where? He threw a 50/50 ball to Mitchell in the Bama game that he caught. Who else has caught anything like that this year? Worthy hasn't caught a ball like that in the last 2.

You guys just take things for granted. The guy rarely misses short to intermediate throws.  He throws the middle of the field better than anyone that I see in CFB. We struggle vs one style of defense. Just so happens a lot of the teams we play against employ it. However, look at how Quinn has played vs anyone willing to not have 3 safeties over the top of our receivers.

Penix below threw it 37 times for 309 yards and only 2 balls were thrown between the hashes. Both of them slants. Penix is in a wide open offensive system that forces defenses to be 1v1 all the time. He is rarely ever fitting balls into coverage windows. His throws, while great, are 90% one on one coverage. The video below is all his throws vs Oregon. He throws some absolute darts. However, he sails balls long and wide all the time. He also throws some "trust" balls that his receivers come down with. On throws like that we've made this year only one person has come down with one. Quinn has made some spectacular throws that we have dropped as well. First example is the throw up the sideline to Worthy vs Bama that he fit between two defenders that would've been a TD if not for the drop.

Now for the sake of comparison lets look at Quinn vs the two best defenses he has played with 4 down linemen, Bama and OU. I say that because that's what you are going to see in the NFL. No one is going to run 3 down and drop 8 every play in the NFL because they would get mauled in the run game. So these are the kinds of defenses you would see him go against. These are every throw vs OU and Bama. I want you to notice there are not that many errant throws. In fact, some of the aforementioned "high throws" had to be that way in order to get over hands or defenders underneath. The Sanders throw in the OU game had to be where it was or it gets batted down when you see the behind the QB view. QE is throwing a pretty accurate ball from all kinds of platforms here. We are all emotional about these games and tend to misremember how they went. Let me reiterate. QE only struggles vs the 3 high look, and no team should be able to run that on us with the RBs we've had the last two years. Anyone else we've played the last 2 years who didn't employ it got lit the fuck up. QE, when not facing the flyover, is 132-186(70.96%) 1712 yards 11 TDs 3ints. That is why everyone we play is rolling out the flyover. They would rather face Brooks and the running game than Ewers. You guys may think QE is mediocre, but opposing DCs disagree.

Dude he’s late on throws all the time. It’s a regular occurrence.

The fact that you’re still trying to say the throw to Sanders in the OU game was a good throw is ridiculous. It wasn’t a good throw. He was late, he was high. The passing window was closing because he was late. 

Opposing DCs might well think Quinn is mediocre. The fact that they scheme to take away the passing game isn’t any indication about Quinn. It’s a DC doing his job and realizing that Texas has a pass first to setup the run offense. Take away the deep ball and Texas can’t score. There’s a reason our red zone offense is what it is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

honestly want to know what people think: who is better at his best: quinn, or chris simms? 

That’s tough because I dunno that we ever really got to see Simms at his true best. I do think that is a fair and interesting comp for Quinn. I can’t imagine what kinda numbers we would have seen from Simms with this offense 

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The fact that you’re still trying to say the throw to Sanders in the OU game was a good throw is ridiculous. It wasn’t a good throw. He was late, he was high. The passing window was closing because he was late. 

Opposing DCs might well think Quinn is mediocre. The fact that they scheme to take away the passing game isn’t any indication about Quinn. It’s a DC doing his job and realizing that Texas has a pass first to setup the run offense. Take away the deep ball and Texas can’t score. There’s a reason our red zone offense is what it is.

Run blocking is a big concern. Our Oline is beat up. Quinn is beat up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Interesting take. I am trying to understand this. In Sark's first 2 seasons it was all about stopping the run for the opposition. This year DCs are completely focused on stopping the pass. That 180 in defensive strategy is because opposing DCs think Quinn is mediocre? 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Interesting take. I am trying to understand this. In Sark's first 2 seasons it was all about stopping the run for the opposition. This year DCs are completely focused on stopping the pass. That 180 in defensive strategy is because opposing DCs think Quinn is mediocre? 

Nope. That’s not what I said. I said they might well think he is. We have no idea. The way they scheme isn’t about whether Quinn is good or not. It’s about the offense that Texas runs. This isn’t the first season teams have run 3 over the top against us. OSU did it really fucking effectively last year.

Might have something to do with some guys playing with the Falcons, Bears, FAU, and Purdue now.

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nope. That’s not what I said. I said they might well think he is. We have no idea. The way they scheme isn’t about whether Quinn is good or not. It’s about the offense that Texas runs. This isn’t the first season teams have run 3 over the top against us. OSU did it really fucking effectively last year.

I am guessing you meant TCU there. Sark had a winning record vs the 3 high last year. He ran all over ISU and KSU to get victories. Lets not forget the 3 high can be run in various ways. TCU was very aggressive out of it, leaving a lot of 1 on 1s on the outside. You can play like Houston and use it almost as a umbrella look. It pretty obvious there has been a major shift in the philosophy against Texas this year. First 2 years DC feared the run game more. Texas had NFL RBs, probably still do. They Casey, Card, and a first year Ewers. Perhaps the reason most DCs are now going out of their way to stop the passing game and giving Texas honest boxes is because of the growth at the QB spot. That would seem to be the simple explanation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Have you watch the play since? It was an RPO. He bellies the ball to the RB until he gets the OLB to bite in the run game and then he throws it around him. Watch the play. He bellies. pulls. turns and throws. There is no time in between. He threw it as quick as a right handed QB can throw a ball to his left. The LB was kinda sitting in the route so if he doesn't throw it high there is a good chance it gets batted down or picked. It would've been a tough catch but receivers make tough catches all the time. The bottom pic the red circle is the football.

Screenshot(458).thumb.png.f0dc511d4d1881f2405f414447d1eb44.png

Screenshot(459).thumb.png.7341597ecb21e90a0337a906762ec784.png

Screenshot(461).thumb.png.90b0550688732cabdd98fa7d13cd05db.png

Screenshot(462).thumb.png.e07e01d8e878ff89ecb065e7c96ad5b3.png

Screenshot(456).thumb.png.f55a3d36290d02d308aeacf1391139fe.png

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Have you watch the play since? It was an RPO. He bellies the ball to the RB until he gets the OLB to bite in the run game and then he throws it around him. Watch the play. He bellies. pulls. turns and throws. There is no time in between. He threw it as quick as a right handed QB can throw a ball to his left. The LB was kinda sitting in the route so if he doesn't throw it high there is a good chance it gets batted down or picked. It would've been a tough catch but receivers make tough catches all the time. The bottom pic the red circle is the football.

Screenshot(458).thumb.png.f0dc511d4d1881f2405f414447d1eb44.png

Screenshot(459).thumb.png.7341597ecb21e90a0337a906762ec784.png

Screenshot(461).thumb.png.90b0550688732cabdd98fa7d13cd05db.png

Screenshot(462).thumb.png.e07e01d8e878ff89ecb065e7c96ad5b3.png

Screenshot(456).thumb.png.f55a3d36290d02d308aeacf1391139fe.png

Yea I’ve watched. He takes too long after the play fake to get the pass away. He actually sets his feet on that throw instead of releasing immediately. Sanders takes at least three steps looking for the ball before it’s released. He also didn’t make some read there and throw high intentionally, he was just inaccurate.

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

He’s also not a JAG. I mean, in the not so distant past we were watching Ewers from last year, Hudson Card, Casey Thompson, freshman Sam Ehlinger, Tyron Swoopes, etc. As Texas fans we should know a pretty good QB when we see one because we have seen plenty that aren’t.

I think it’s the opposite- we’ve seen such shitty QB play for such a long time that we’re willing to accept mediocre QB play. Ewers has been erratic his entire career here and you never know which Ewers you’re gonna get from one game to the next. I’m like ztejas- looking forward to see what we have in the cupboard because what we currently have at the position is just above average. We’ve got so many great skill guys, give someone else a chance to see what they can do with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That's meaningless. Brock Purdy was drafted as the last pick in the 7th round.

So a guy without a rocket arm was good in all other areas but was nonetheless the last player taken.  

I don't think this fact supports your position that Quinn will go late rounds in the draft.  In fact it says the opposite - NFL teams overvalue arm strength, which is great for Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I’ve watched. He takes too long after the play fake to get the pass away. He actually sets his feet on that throw instead of releasing immediately. Sanders takes at least three steps looking for the ball before it’s released. He also didn’t make some read there and throw high intentionally, he was just inaccurate.

1:11 mark of the below video. I am confused here. How do you expect him to throw that if he doesn't square himself around? His feet are pointing left. I also have 1.07 seconds from the time he sticks the ball in the RBs stomach until he releases it. In a pocket surrounded by 6'5 guys it looks a lot different than from our birdseye view. He has to throw that all at least a little high. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

8 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

So a guy without a rocket arm was good in all other areas but was nonetheless the last player taken.  

I don't think this fact supports your position that Quinn will go late rounds in the draft.  In fact it says the opposite - NFL teams overvalue arm strength, which is great for Quinn.

Fair. See Anthony Richardson 

Does anyone else think this arguing about how good Ewers today is kinda pointless? In about 28 hours we will all know how good Ewers is. I think tomorrow will tell us more about him than some of the games he played in. If Malik makes sarks offense look like an easy juggernaut driving the field….or if we lose and both Malik/ arch play..there’s the answer to Ewers value. If Malik starts hitting the open receivers in stride or hits more than one bomb to worthy..

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Does anyone else think this arguing about how good Ewers today is kinda pointless? In about 28 hours we will all know how good Ewers is. I think tomorrow will tell us more about him than some of the games he played in. If Malik makes sarks offense look like an easy juggernaut driving the field….or if we lose and both Malik/ arch play..there’s the answer to Ewers value. If Malik starts hitting the open receivers in stride or hits more than one bomb to worthy..

We might form an opinion, but it'd be more telling what Maalik looks like after he has a few games on tape for opponents to study

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

More worried about Maalik's pocket presence. Like can he move around and avoid the rush or does he just stand there and take a bunch of drive killing sacks. 

Hopefully Sark cuts off the field and gives him quick easy throws like stick routes and out routes rather than a bunch of dropbacks and time consuming routes.