Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He may have to, unless someone says they will take him in the 6h round. Even if he comes back, we dont know where he will be next season. He wouldnt be a lock to get 20 carries a game. 

Agree with this....given the state of RB's in the league teams will want to know how he looks post injury to draft him.

Question (may have already been addressed, but couldn't find it): has there been any thoughts or info on the possibility that QE's shoulder was part of the problem with not throwing in the second half? We saw him leave the field a little early at halftime (granted there were only a few second seconds left)- safe assumption it was for more treatment (or another shot). Still trying to wrap my head around not throwing it more in the second half.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

If he closes the season strong and solidifies round 1 or 2 he might leave

He’s in better position draft wise if he goes next year. Leaving early isn’t a smart thing as a QB, imo. But if he wants any assurances of being the starter (which I wouldn’t think at all is true) it will always be a QB competition. There is a reason for the pecking order under Sark. If QE stays next year I do expect there will be a competition. Not saying I expect Manning to win but I do think there will be a competition for the spot as there has been each season in the time of the Sark. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

He’s in better position draft wise if he goes next year. Leaving early isn’t a smart thing as a QB, imo. But if he wants any assurances of being the starter (which I wouldn’t think at all is true) it will always be a QB competition. There is a reason for the pecking order under Sark. If QE stays next year I do expect there will be a competition. Not saying I expect Manning to win but I do think there will be a competition for the spot as there has been each season in the time of the Sark. 

giphy-downsized.gif

I don't think there would be a competition. Quinn is an incumbent starter that has proven himself this year to be the guy moving forward. 

Depends on how greedy Quinn's dad is and pushes him to the NFL or does our corporate come through with NIL to keep him. 

Personally he stands to make more coming back and going higher in the draft.

• Hook 'Em 2

This seems like a pretty clear case of his draft position currently not being good enough. With injuries and loaded QB class, I highly doubt he's a first round grade right now. 

If Quinn goes nuts in the next few games and we make the playoff, maybe that changes. They're leaving the door open but know it's unlikely he will go early. 

I also would guess Arch and his family have zero problem with being QB2 next year. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think there would be a competition. Quinn is an incumbent starter that has proven himself this year to be the guy moving forward. 

Depends on how greedy Quinn's dad is and pushes him to the NFL or does our corporate come through with NIL to keep him. 

Personally he stands to make more coming back and going higher in the draft.

It’s pretty clear from every single article I read about Quinn it was his choice to go to Ohio State early. His parents made it known they’d have preferred he play his senior year of high school. I think he’s made the decisions. His parents have said over and over it’s not about the money. He was never cash poor. What I think is happening is he is realizing he’s dropped down on the draft board due to injuries and inconsistency of play. Yes Bama was great. Yes he played against OU great after a shaky start. He’s still not 100%. For me, if I am an NFL GM/Owner I’m looking for someone who is my franchise guy and his limited sample size isn’t enough for me to make him a first rounder this year—at least not if the draft were today. Anything can happen. 

We all know he is the starter for a reason. But to think there won’t be a competition for the starter spot next year is absurd . it doesn’t mean he will be upseated. But Sark will have a competition for the spot even if it is a foregone conclusion. He will still have it because that is the correct thing to do. 

20 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Ewers has the best arm talent of any of the QBs in this draft. He's going to skyrocket up draft boards after the combine if he goes. 

So many teams need a QB that I don't see any reason not to go pro if he's healthy. He's going to be a first round pick.

This is a biased opinion. He's injury prone and has questionable mechanics. Guys like Caleb Williams Drake Maye, Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, and Penix are seen as either more polished or having more upside.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, My display name said:

Question (may have already been addressed, but couldn't find it): has there been any thoughts or info on the possibility that QE's shoulder was part of the problem with not throwing in the second half? We saw him leave the field a little early at halftime (granted there were only a few second seconds left)- safe assumption it was for more treatment (or another shot). Still trying to wrap my head around not throwing it more in the second half.

Toradol wore off and they couldn't give him another dose. 

But seriously, that has been discussed - the short answer is that only people inside the program know for sure, but it seems likely that his injury was aggravated by playing and it limited him in the second half. 

Even if that's part of the reason we went so run heavy, I think a bigger part is Sark getting pissed off and calling plays to make a point to the guys. He did the same thing with deep shots in the TCU game last year. Feels punitive. Instead of throwing a tantrum I wish he would just call to win the game and address the player's perceived lack of motivation in practice / film. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

But seriously, that has been discussed - the short answer is that only people inside the program know for sure, but it seems likely that his injury was aggravated by playing and it limited him in the second half. 

Even if that's part of the reason we went so run heavy, I think a bigger part is Sark getting pissed off and calling plays to make a point to the guys. He did the same thing with deep shots in the TCU game last year. Feels punitive. Instead of throwing a tantrum I wish he would just call to win the game and address the player's perceived lack of motivation in practice / film. 

In the first half when Quinn avoided the sack and dove to the line of scrimmage, after the play you could see that he was favoring his right arm. It was after that series that he was seen on the bench rubbing his right shoulder. He clearly was still injured. I think the run heavy play calls in the 2nd half were because he was nowhere near 100% and got worse as the game went on.

Will be interesting to see how healthy he is for the ISU game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This nonsense needs to stop. 8 of our first 11 plays in the 2nd half were passes. We went to the ground game because it was working and the passing game wasn't. Part of the reason it may not have been working is QE being hurt. This wasn't about turtling or making a point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This nonsense needs to stop. 8 of our first 11 plays in the 2nd half were passes. We went to the ground game because it was working and the passing game wasn't. Part of the reason it may not have been working is QE being hurt. This wasn't about turtling or making a point. 

The toradol literally wore off after the 8th pass attempt of the second half.

• Haha 4

QE coming back significantly raises our floor next year. If he improves on his deep throws and progressions, we will most likely see the offense Sark ran at Bama. MM probably is gone this off-season, and I hope Arch's camp is on board, especially since QE is injury prone.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I was only considering collegiate production. In Vince, then Colt, we had two of the best back-to-back starting quarterbacks in the history of college football. One should've won the Heisman and the other was in the top three in back-to-back seasons. Yes, I know we had a couple of years while Colt matured into the juggernaut he was in 2008 and 2009 but let's be honest, if he hadn't gotten hurt his freshman year, the Longhorns would've won the Big 12 title and gone into the bowl season with just the one loss to Ohio State.

OU went from Baker Mayfield to Kyler Murray to Jalen Hurts, then Spencer Rattler before Caleb Williams, which is pretty remarkable. I'm sure there are other examples but I'm having a hard time coming up with them.

From the '70s to '90s, Miami had Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinnie Testaverde, Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson, and Gino Torretta, the latter three of which won national championships in '87, '89, and '91 (and Kosar won in '83), with Testaverde and Torretta winning the Heisman. In terms of college production that streak is unreal, but consider that three of those QBs had lengthy NFL careers and the other three also started NFL games under center, and I doubt any school matches that streak.

QE coming back significantly raises our floor next year. If he improves on his deep throws and progressions, we will most likely see the offense Sark ran at Bama. MM probably is gone this off-season, and I hope Arch's camp is on board, especially since QE is injury prone.

If it’s true that Arch’s camp was and is pro-Redshirting this year, it would be totally incongruous and irrational to have a problem with him not being the Day 1 starter next year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

We lose Worthy, JWhit, Sanders, and probably Mitchell. That's probably 95% of the passing yards. Those guys will be replaced by dudes who haven't or have barely taken any snaps nor caught passes. This was Quinn's year to make himself money. He may be better next year, our passing numbers just may not show it.

• Like 3

There's a very good chance 5-6 QBs would get taken ahead of Quinn this year.  The dude has always thought he was going in the 1st round if not the very first pick but his collegiate career hasn't exactly matched his lofty rankings.  It's probably best for him and Texas if he comes back considering Brooks is very likely to be back as well.  He's likely a top 3 QB in the draft next year if not the top QB if he can continue to improve and stay healthy.

Bobby and Gerry have both said that Arch is well aware Quinn may be back and they came to Texas to make sure Arch is prepared for the NFL, not so he can start on a certain year.  With that said, Bobby and Gerry have both said that 4 people in the last 2 weeks have said Arch is a freak and the real deal.  If he's the best QB on campus next year, it's going to get very interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We lose Worthy, JWhit, Sanders, and probably Mitchell. That's probably 95% of the passing yards. Those guys will be replaced by dudes who haven't or have barely taken any snaps nor caught passes. This was Quinn's year to make himself money. He may be better next year, our passing numbers just may not show it.

you roll into next year with this:

image.thumb.png.e5f0cbf83aa5398297b320f9f479d54e.png

+whatever WR you get in the portal, which you will absolutely get if Ewers comes back and likely get anyway.

you have a shitload of room in the WR room, can't imagine you keep Neyor and Cain both.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

you roll into next year with this:

image.thumb.png.e5f0cbf83aa5398297b320f9f479d54e.png

+whatever WR you get in the portal, which you will absolutely get if Ewers comes back and likely get anyway.

you have a shitload of room in the WR room, can't imagine you keep Neyor and Cain both.

Again lots of dude who have hardly played nor caught passes. I'm not that optimistic as some of you. Our offense struggled through long stretches of almost every game with they NFL receiving talent that we have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Again lots of dude who have hardly played nor caught passes. I'm not that optimistic as some of you. Our offense struggled through long stretches of almost every game with they NFL receiving talent that we have. 

wait

you think Sark returning Ewers + 4 of the 5 OL starters + Brooks once he's healthy/Baxter with a year under his belt + losing 90% of your receiving yards isn't going to be very attractive to a top WR in the portal???

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

wait

you think Sark returning Ewers + 4 of the 5 OL starters + Brooks once he's healthy/Baxter with a year under his belt + losing 90% of your receiving yards isn't going to be very attractive to a top WR in the portal???

So you think we can easily replace 95% of our passing offense with dudes who haven't caught a pass in this Offense? 

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So you think we can easily replace 95% of our passing offense with dudes who haven't caught a pass in this Offense? 

do you think there won't be huge WR talent in the transfer portal?

here is who was in the portal this last year

image.thumb.png.d11866b2b39fb146e6f96b1d020dcb55.png

i have more faith i guess in the freshman (Cook specifically i have a TON of faith in) + getting a WR1 in the portal + Ryan Wingo than you do?

betting you see something closer to 2022 where you have 1 dude with a ton of passes (WR1) + Cooks + more passes to the RBs vs TEs.

overall, my level of concern around getting WR talent for next year is very, very low. just because it isn't going to be as good in 24 as it was in 23 doesn't mean next years WR room won't be good. this year's WR room (Worthy/Mitchell/JWhitt/Cook) has more talent than any at Texas since Sloan Thomas/Roy Williams/BJ Johnson.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm still firm in the belief that Quinn is not getting drafted next year, regardless of him declaring. He still has so much to prove on the field. For those of you who think he's a first round draft pick right now, what tape are you watching? What games are you watching? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these comments. Look I'm not trying to knock the kid but he's not a first round pick. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Ewers has the best arm talent of any of the QBs in this draft. He's going to skyrocket up draft boards after the combine if he goes. 

So many teams need a QB that I don't see any reason not to go pro if he's healthy. He's going to be a first round pick.

NFL arm, no doubt. His pocket presence and progressions need help. Dude still doesn’t see the field well enough to be successful on Sundays. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

1 minute ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

NFL arm, no doubt. His pocket presence and progressions need help. Dude still doesn’t see the field well enough to be successful on Sundays. 

If I’m him i come out and trust combine/pro day. 
there are some shitty, shitty nfl QBs out there right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

You're assuming Texas doesn't take any productive WR/TE from the portal, which is a bad assumption. Sark hasn't been shy with the portal yet, and he for sure won't be after this season.

Edit: I see this has already been addressed.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Thamel, who is the mouthpiece of the fam:

The way I interpret this is that The Ewers sit down talk and propose that it may be in the best interest of Quinn to return. So they start to do some leg work on the possibility of returning which means talking to the staff. The staff leaks it as it has been 90% decided. The Ewers say not so fast my friend via Thamel.

3 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

That is a knock on pretty much every QB coming out of college. It is not that dissimilar to HS QBs. Most of these Qbs rarely get through their second read. It is what makes GMs and draft gurus look bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Folks were really hard on Chris Simms when he was on campus but if he had Vince or Colt's offensive line from either of our national championship runs, he'd be right there with them.

Now go on and neg me.

That 09 OL woulda gotten simms murdered. 09 was almost entirely colt colting

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

If Arch is as good as advertised he should start next year.

So far Arch is good enough to not unseat a bad Malik Murphy.  I trust the potential is there and he’ll be ready when his time comes but to say he should be starting next year based on zero experience is silly.  

Edited by Your Mom

19 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm still firm in the belief that Quinn is not getting drafted next year, regardless of him declaring. He still has so much to prove on the field. For those of you who think he's a first round draft pick right now, what tape are you watching? What games are you watching? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these comments. Look I'm not trying to knock the kid but he's not a first round pick. 

If you think he would literally not be drafted, you might indeed be taking crazy pills.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

not getting drafted THIS year or NEXT year? not that it matters, because if he goes he will get drafted.

Stetson Bennett just got drafted dude. IN THE FOURTH ROUND. Max Duggan got drafted. Tanner McKee got drafted. someone named Chris Oladokun got drafted 2 years ago.

if he went THIS year he would get drafted. the only way he doesn't get drafted next year is if he has a major injury.

29 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So far Arch is good enough to not unseat a bad Malik Murphy.  I trust the potential is there and he’ll be ready when his time comes but to say he should be starting next year based on zero experience is silly.  

breaking news: true freshman from small school isn't good enough to burn his redshirt as the backup behind entrenched starter and backup who has a full year+ in the system.

• Hook 'Em 1