Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know this is gonna be hard for you to digest, but just because one or two posters say something doesn't mean the majority of us agree with it.

the “he’s a longhorn legend” post got 8 positive reactions and nobody besides me has disagreed with that guy. beyond that there’s such a thing as tacit endorsement, and this thread is full of it. when people keep talking about the heisman and the nfl and nobody but me cares to disagree, i think it’s safe to say that the rest of this QE love fest thread is not in disagreement. but hey, keep being condescending about everything you say to me, it’s a really earnest way to approach people. 👌🏻 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

That is fine. 
Corum and Edwards > Brooks and Baxter 

Allen and Singelton > Brooks and Baxter 

I like Baxter, but he is just a true freshmen and been banged up all year. You have to look at the top 2, not just the #1 RB

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the “he’s a longhorn legend” post got 8 positive reactions and nobody besides me has disagreed with that guy. beyond that there’s such a thing as tacit endorsement, and this thread is full of it. when people keep talking about the heisman and the nfl and nobody but me cares to disagree, i think it’s safe to say that the rest of this QE love fest thread is not in disagreement. but hey, keep being condescending about everything you say to me, it’s a really earnest way to approach people. 👌🏻 

Jesus, be a bigger baby.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is fine. 

I like Baxter, but he is just a true freshmen and been banged up all year. You have to look at the top 2, not just the #1 RB

based on what? preseason expectations? donovan edwards averages 3.4 ypc, and corum has been demonstrably inferior to JB. you have lost your mind in the name of white knighting QE. these takes are indefensible. 

If we're just looking at stats, then UCF would be better than all of them. I'd take Penn State's top 2 over ours from the eye test, but it's a dumb discussion that is completely subjective.

Set actual guidelines, then discuss from there. 

Derka/shadow_operative/Cartman, you claim to be making arguments, when in reality you're just making a series of value based judgements which are reflected by the quality of responses you get in return.

Shit is just going in circles down the drain over here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is fine. 

Baxter has 200 more yards on only 11 more carries than Edwards and the same amount of TDs. You’re high. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well room doesn’t imply just two. I’d be surprised if anyone else has a 4th/5th guy like Keilan, who has made big plays in non garbage time. Or a 4th/5th guy like Red that has run/thrown wildcat with some success. Blue has some skill. Baxter was a top recruit. And Brooks. They can run. They can catch. Some can block a bit.

No idea where they rank but that’s a good group.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You are going to come on here and admit you were wrong and I’m right when he’s too 5 heisman and too 5 in the draft next year right?  Right?  
seriously man, if you can’t see that as super likely trajectory right now it’s because you’ve dug in, made up your mind and aren’t ready to change it. 

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

reface_1665832680460_686.gif.c3eb83bf35bfe320eb49806a9c71ab3c.gif

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

then you have blue who is only averaging 6.7 ypc, but yeah, those mighty big 10 rbs’s that can’t sniff our stats or production are really something else. 

Plus that Mich schedule was murderer’s row…..espn has their SOS at 112.  Texas at 9.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are going to come on here and admit you were wrong and I’m right when he’s too 5 heisman and too 5 in the draft next year right?  Right?  
seriously man, if you can’t see that as super likely trajectory right now it’s because you’ve dug in, made up your mind and aren’t ready to change it. 

absolutely i will. the heisman thing i can see happening because it’s a bullshit award and we should be very very good next year, not to mention that Sark is going to get every ounce of production that he can out of QE. do i think QE will be one of the 3-4 best players in the country next year? no i do not. i hope he’s top 4 on his own team. as of today do i project him to have a successful career in the nfl? again, no i do not. not even a little bit. nfl QB is the hardest job in sports, and QE is so, so far removed from having mastered his own college position and craft that i do not see him having any sort of successful nfl career, barring major improvemt in the offseason/next year.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Well room doesn’t imply just two. I’d be surprised if anyone else has a 4th/5th guy like Keilan, who has made big plays in non garbage time. Or a 4th/5th guy like Red that has run/thrown wildcat with some success. Blue has some skill. Baxter was a top recruit. And Brooks. They can run. They can catch. Some can block a bit.

It’s a good group, but it’s not the best RB room in the country. There isn’t a guy to get you 3rd and 1 in the group (yet, eventually Baxter gets there). There is a reason Texas struggles in short yardage situations. Keilan and Blue are redundant. Baxter and Red need some time to bake. In Baxter’s case he may just need get healthy, which he hasn’t been all year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

exactly. there isn’t a single team in america that matches up with our RB room player for player. not before JB’s injury anyway. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

absolutely i will. the heisman thing i can see happening because it’s a bullshit award and we should be very very good next year, not to mention that Sark is going to get every ounce of production that he can out of QE. do i think QE will be one of the 3-4 best players in the country next year? no i do not. i hope he’s top 4 on his own team. as of today do i project him to have a successful career in the nfl? again, no i do not. not even a little bit. nfl QB is the hardest job in sports, and QE is so, so far removed from having mastered his own college position and craft that i do not see him having any sort of successful nfl career, barring major improvemt in the offseason/next year.

So you are already setting it up that he can be top 5 for Heisman, go super high in the nfl draft and yet your opinion is right? 
I love you man, but this is a horrifically stupid take and corner you’ve backed yourself into. 

• Prepare your anus 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s a good group, but it’s not the best RB room in the country. There isn’t a guy to get you 3rd and 1 in the group (yet, eventually Baxter gets there). There is a reason Texas struggles in short yardage situations. Keilan and Blue are redundant. Baxter and Red need some time to bake. In Baxter’s case he may just need get healthy, which he hasn’t been all year. 

Now if we want to discuss which team do i trust to get 3rd and 1: coach, call, qb under center, line and rb then i will tip my hat to mich.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s a good group, but it’s not the best RB room in the country. There isn’t a guy to get you 3rd and 1 in the group (yet, eventually Baxter gets there). There is a reason Texas struggles in short yardage situations. 

So now one aspect of good running back play trumps all the others?  OK, I guess.  You didn't say that.  You said the Texas RBs would be 3/4 in the Big 10, when in fact they are statistically better in the basic metrics other than touchdowns.

We all know Texas is bad in the red zone.  There's another 80 yards to contend with, too.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So now one aspect of good running back play trumps all the others?  OK, I guess.  You didn't say that.  You said the Texas RBs would be 3/4 in the Big 10, when in fact they are statistically better in the basic metrics other than touchdowns.

We all know Texas is bad in the red zone.  There's another 80 yards to contend with, too.

They are statistically better, but UCF and WVu have decent argument in the Big 12 if statistics are all we look at. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you are already setting it up that he can be top 5 for Heisman, go super high in the nfl draft and yet your opinion is right? 
I love you man, but this is a horrifically stupid take and corner you’ve backed yourself into. 

who are you talking to bro? is that my MO? to make bold predictions and then slink away from them when i’m wrong? you know goddamn well that’s not me.

im not setting myself up for anything dude, im giving it to you straight like i always do. you’re the one up in here twisting shit and making assumptions about things that haven’t even happened and in fact cannot even happen for another year. you’re the one who is dug in. 

for example, how would QE going highly in the draft go against anything that i’ve said? you quoted me talking about his performance in the nfl, not his draft stock. it’s you who is moving the goalposts dude. you’re moving them, and then getting mad at me for it. how do you not see that? 

Edited by shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

do i think QE will be one of the 3-4 best players in the country next year? no i do not. i hope he’s top 4 on his own team. as of today do i project him to have a successful career in the nfl? again, no i do not.

that’s what i said. that’s what i stand by. this is my opinion. there’s nothing squirmy about it. it’s all very straightforward.

I watch too much live football to know who’s the best. There probably are a number of teams better in short yardage though. I think Red would be fine in wildcat if we’d run anywhere but left seemingly every time. I’d like to see Red in at RB with QE at QB. Baxter has been a little slow going.

Our strength is versatility and explosiveness in our depth.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who are you talking to bro? is that my MO? to make bold predictions and then slink away from them when i’m wrong? you know goddamn well that’s not me.

im not setting myself up for anything dude, im giving it to you straight like i always do. you’re the one up in here twisting shit and making assumptions about things that haven’t even happened and in fact cannot even happen for another year. you’re the one who is dug in here.

for example, how would QE going highly in the draft go against anything that i’ve said? you quoted me talking about his performance in the nfl, not his draft stock. it’s you who is moving the goalposts dude. you’re moving them, and then getting mad at me for it. how do you not see that? 

Calmer than you are dude.
It’s a bad argument if you can’t call a guy who finishes in the top 5 as a Heisman and goes high in the draft after going something like 30-6 in games he starts and finishes as a starter a longhorn legend. Because that’s where Quinn is going to finish up. 
go read my Sark thread from last year. Or my Milroe comment from Tuscaloosa. And know that my Ewers comment is going to be as prophetic as that. 
he played fine as a basically true freshman. He’s playing really good as a sophomore this year. Same progression and he’s going to be awesome next year. Anyone expecting more out of him at this stage in his career was doing it wrong. 
I posted- something like 50 pages ago, all the numbers for true freshman QB’s that won a Heisman and they were uniformly garbage. Quinns were better than them all. I guess you can argue he wasn’t a true freshman but I’d say starting in August after camp was 2 weeks old at Ohio state and transferring to Texas and playing in his first year in the program made him closer to a true freshman than a redshirt freshman, but it would probably be fair to split the difference. 
regardless, there’s nothing surprising about him getting a ton better between last year and this year and there will be nothing surprising about him making a big leap next year. A big leap for him means we go 10-2- he wins hardware and he goes top 5 in the draft. And that’s all longhorn legend territory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I watch too much live football to know who’s the best. There probably are a number of teams better in short yardage though. I think Red would be fine in wildcat if we’d run anywhere but left seemingly every time. I’d like to see Red in at RB with QE at QB. Baxter has been a little slow going.

Our strength is versatility and explosiveness in our depth.

Red got into an ugly habit of cutting everything back out of the Wildcat. He been playing RB in college for 5 months. I don’t think there is a lot of versatility at this point. I do think Baxter will be the answer next year. Mostly because Texas hasn’t developed a power back. Blue and Keilan are explosive, but they are not great between the tackles. Baring the OL kicking the shit out of Tech. 

Edited by Codaxx

Texas is #24 in D1 in rushing yards per game.  Penn State is #26, and they're the highest ranked Big 10 team.  Michigan is #52.

I'm not going to count, but those numbers are roughly true for yards per carry.

I don't think there is any evidence for strength of "running back rooms" that has been asserted.

• Hook 'Em 1

Red got into an ugly habit of cutting everything back out of the Wildcat. He been playing RB in college for 5 months. I don’t think there is a lot of versatility at this point. I do think Baxter will be the answer next year. Mostly because Texas hasn’t developed a power back. Blue and Keilan are explosive, but they are not great between the tackles. Baring the OL kicking the shit out of Tech. 

That should be easily correctable on Red. That’s a negative on Sark. That was a generally effective set that we’ve seemingly thrown away. I don’t think he’s a full time RB but more situational. Baxter will probably be the best short yardage guy longer term.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Texas is #24 in D1 in rushing yards per game.  Penn State is #26, and they're the highest ranked Big 10 team.  Michigan is #52.

I'm not going to count, but those numbers are roughly true for yards per carry.

I don't think there is any evidence for strength of "running back rooms" that has been asserted.

It’s always an opinion. If I could trade rooms with PSU I would do it immediately, since both of those guys are back next year. I  don’t think Texas has a proven RB after Brooks went down and he has never made it through a season healthy.  PSU has Drew Allan at QB.. That is like tying a tire around a RB and asking him to run. Texas RBs don’t see a lot of stacked boxes like PSU does. DC don’t come in to play Texas focusing on stopping the run. Sarks own words “Texas throws to open up the run”. Texas is a pass first team. Michigan and PSU are the exact opposite.  PSU is very similar to what Texas was last year. 2 great RBs and a talented, but erratic QB. 

Edited by Codaxx

That should be easily correctable on Red. That’s a negative on Sark. That was a generally effective set that we’ve seemingly thrown away. I don’t think he’s a full time RB but more situational. Baxter will probably be the best short yardage guy longer term.

I hate to see them put Red in and keep the damn qb in split out wide. You aren’t doing shit with him, because everyone knows he’s dinged up.

Ok fine you fucks. If no one agrees with me, I’ll change my answer.

Buttermilk pie. (But I’m still a chess pie man at heart).

Shocked no one said poontang pie. Or hair pie.

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s always an opinion. If I could trade rooms with PSU I would do it immediately, since both of those guys are back next year. I  don’t think Texas has a proven RB after Brooks went down and he has never made it through a season healthy.  PSU has Drew Allan at QB.. That is like tying a tire around a RB and asking him to run. Texas RBs don’t see a lot of stacked boxes like PSU does. DC don’t come in to play Texas focusing on stopping the run. Sarks own words “Texas throws to open up the run”. Texas is a pass first team. Michigan and PSU are the exact opposite.  PSU is very similar to what Texas was last year. 2 great RBs and a talented, but erratic QB. 

Man, you move the goalposts a lot.  Next year has nothing to do with this year.

Carry on, I guess.  This isn't the RB thread, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think if Ewers were to be playing for an air raid team, his poor mechanics and inconsistencies reading the defense wouldn’t matter. Instead Sark runs a deeper playbook that utilizes more than simple reads and Ewers is having to actually learn how to be a complete quarterback. I’m not sure if Ewers will ever live up to his rating coming out of high school and that is fine imo. At least we are seeing him continually getting better even tho it may not be as fast as some would like. If he comes back next year, there’s no reason to think that he can’t turn the flashes we see this year into regulars in ‘24. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, you move the goalposts a lot.  Next year has nothing to do with this year.

Carry on, I guess.  This isn't the RB thread, anyway.

I just said I would swap it right now. Both those guys are studs. They have a better RB room than Texas, since day one 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

All those other QBs have one guy. Quinn has 3 AA caliber options and another all conference caliber. I dunno why y’all seem to think it’s impossible for both things (Quinn is good, his weapons make him better) to be true

Ohio state has 2 of the best wr’s in the country and a TE that has become the 2nd or 3rd best in the country. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s possible. He’s still an AA level college player.

Jared Wiley has more catches, yards and TD’s than sanders. Along with like 7 other TE’s. He’s really good but he’s not an AA. 

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I just said I would swap it right now. Both those guys are studs. They have a better RB room than Texas, since day one 

And you said you'd do so because they're both coming back next year.  (Never mind that both Brooks & Baxter are coming back next year, barring an unexpected transfer or a slower-than-expected recovery for Brooks.)

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I had 11-1 as most probable outcome and 12-0 more likely than 9-3 or worse. 
anyone saying 10-2 was ceiling is undervaluing how good we were. 
everyone had texas at 10-2 on IT for example and the answer was- we will screw up a game and lose one we shouldn’t. That’s not ceiling of 10-2 that’s low expectations based upon the fact we’ve disappointed for over a decade. 

Are you the one that wanted to give sark a blow job? I mean it’s cool but doesn’t that make you a little biased? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

Are you the one that wanted to give sark a blow job? I mean it’s cool but doesn’t that make you a little biased? 

I mean, I titled it jacking off to my Sark fantasy because Close to Jumping told me too when the morons were controlling the fall 22 thread saying we were going 5-7 again and 7-5 was our absolute apex and darkness going to get fired in 3 or 4 years. That was how that thread got titled what it did. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Levi said:

I think if Ewers were to be playing for an air raid team, his poor mechanics and inconsistencies reading the defense wouldn’t matter. Instead Sark runs a deeper playbook that utilizes more than simple reads and Ewers is having to actually learn how to be a complete quarterback. I’m not sure if Ewers will ever live up to his rating coming out of high school and that is fine imo. At least we are seeing him continually getting better even tho it may not be as fast as some would like. If he comes back next year, there’s no reason to think that he can’t turn the flashes we see this year into regulars in ‘24. 

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I titled it jacking off to my Sark fantasy because Close to Jumping told me too when the morons were controlling the fall 22 thread saying we were going 5-7 again and 7-5 was our absolute apex and darkness going to get fired in 3 or 4 years. That was how that thread got titled what it did. 

I think most reasonable people saw 10-2 as the apex. There were likely 4 toss up games - OU, Bama and two others. That actually proved true. In theory any talented Texas team has a ceiling of world domination.  With only a 6.25% chance to win 4 toss ups and 18.75% chance to win 3 out of 4 it’s clear to me Texas out performed. I’ll just leave it at that. 

and anyone who refuses to admit they’ve touched themselves after or because of a Texas win is a lying sack of potatoes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Levi said:

This is a great take imo

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ohio state has 2 of the best wr’s in the country and a TE that has become the 2nd or 3rd best in the country. 

Jared Wiley has more catches, yards and TD’s than sanders. Along with like 7 other TE’s. He’s really good but he’s not an AA. 

Jared Wiley isn’t one of 12 semifinalists for the Mackey award either. You’re just arguing to argue. Our weapons are elite in all of college football. Anyone who thinks otherwise is plainly wrong.

• Like 1

Good stuff

The dude has rendered 20+ yard outs and stops routine.

Offense coaches have wet dreams of having that in their hip pocket
  • Hook 'Em 6

57 minutes ago, troph said:

I think most reasonable people saw 10-2 as the apex. There were likely 4 toss up games - OU, Bama and two others. That actually proved true. In theory any talented Texas team has a ceiling of world domination.  With only a 6.25% chance to win 4 toss ups and 18.75% chance to win 3 out of 4 it’s clear to me Texas out performed. I’ll just leave it at that. 

and anyone who refuses to admit they’ve touched themselves after or because of a Texas win is a lying sack of potatoes.

We went 2-5 inn1 score games last year and finished 8-5. There is no way the ceiling on that team was 6 or 7 wins with 5 as the most likely outcome. 
Yeah- the ceiling for that team was probably 10-2.