gallerysports.com - Mattress Mack's retirement home for Chronicle columnists

WBT

51 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

“Hey, I need to drive traffic to my website. I can’t remember hearing anything negative about the popularity/profitability of journalism. Or local news.  Or local sports journalism. What could possibly go wrong?”

This whole thing isn't even pocket change for Mack, wtf are you talking about?

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This whole thing isn't even pocket change for Mack, wtf are you talking about?

To spell it out for you: I’m operating on the assumption that he’s not creating a local sports news website out of charity, and actually interested in using this gimmick to sell furniture. I don’t think it will be successful at creating good content or in helping move more beds out of the warehouse. 

Even if the goal is simply to employ friends and create a local Houston/TEXAS sports website- its a terrible business model

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

To spell it out for you: I’m operating on the assumption that he’s not creating a local sports news website out of charity, and actually interested in using this gimmick to sell furniture. I don’t think it will be successful at creating good content or in helping move more beds out of the warehouse. 

Even if the goal is simply to employ friends and create a local Houston/TEXAS sports website- its a terrible business model

I'm sure he'll regret not consulting with you first 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Worthwhile effort if he has lobbyist buddies offering $100 handshakes to draft a sportsbetting bill ahead of the next State Lege.

My hope is that it the handshakes have already occurred and he's getting the "it's coming..." answer he's been looking for. Beto wins and it's a done deal. Abbot wins and it's not a done deal but it almost got there last session so 2023 might be the tipping point anyway.

Mack likes a good bet and the website seems like a bet that he thinks it will happen sooner rather than later.

15 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I haven’t been paying attention- is John McClain gone from the Chronicle?  Huge if true. 

Found this on his Twitter heading...

John McClain   @McClain_on_NFL

Writes for http://GallerySports.Com and http://SportsRadio610.com. Retired from the Houston Chronicle. Does 10 weekly sports talk shows in 6 cities, including Sports Radio 610 in Houston 4 times a week and Outkick 360.

Recent tweet

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I will never bet against Matttess Mac making a buck. If Mac is doing it and surly is saying it’s a bad idea I’m betting it makes Mac money somewhere and somehow. 

This.  Mac built a small fortune hawking discount furniture. He didn’t have iPhones to sell, or cheap air line tickets, or Disney passes, just furniture and a quirky personality.  He’s done many unorthodox things over the past years, and always ended up in a better place. He has endured himself to many people many times over.

Along the way, his charitable ventures are off the charts. Offering Super Bowl/World Series bets v.” Free furniture” was a zero sum hedge, but it moved a lot of furniture and earned him a lot of goodwill. He routinely bought a lot of the champion farm animals at the Houston Livestock Show.  His relief work for Katrina & Harvey victims was immediate w/o the bureaucratic red tape.

I wouldn’t bet against him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

This.  Mac built a small fortune hawking discount furniture. He didn’t have iPhones to sell, or cheap air line tickets, or Disney passes, just furniture and a quirky personality.  He’s done many unorthodox things over the past years, and always ended up in a better place. He has *endured himself to many people many times over.

Along the way, his charitable ventures are off the charts. Offering Super Bowl/World Series bets v.” Free furniture” was a zero sum hedge, but it moved a lot of furniture and earned him a lot of goodwill. He routinely bought a lot of the champion farm animals at the Houston Livestock Show.  His relief work for Katrina & Harvey victims was immediate w/o the bureaucratic red tape.

I wouldn’t bet against him.

Endeared*

And if $300MM is a small fortune, what do you consider a big one?

Edited by Dennis Taylor

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Huh? The Athletic is a national sports outlet. Why would they have Horns and Astros beat writers? 

Because they have them for the majority of pro teams and 20ish of the biggest college programs?  They had them for both Horns and Stros until recently but no longer do.