Concerts you are attending

bamachine

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Depeche Mode is coming to Austin at the end of September.

I had an extremely good time at a DM concert back in the early 90s with a girlfriend.

My wife is not the biggest DM fan, but I'm on a nostalgia kick.

GIF by MOODMAN

i want to hit their houston concert 

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Joe Walsh of the Eagles and an all-star musical lineup will perform in San Diego this fall to raise money for VetsAid. The Walsh-led nonprofit, which benefits charity organizations that aid U.S. military veterans, has disbursed $3 million in grants since its inception in 2017.

The 7th annual VetsAid concert will be held Nov. 12 at North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre in Chula Vista. Besides Walsh, a former Encinitas resident, the lineup includes two other Rock Hall inductees: Jeff Lynne, who will perform with the latest iteration of his string-driven band, ELO; and Stephen Stills, who is billed as a special guest.

Also confirmed for the show are Flaming Lips, The War on Drugs and Lucius, the acclaimed indie-pop band co-led by singers Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig. Apart from special guest Stills, all of the concert’s artists are scheduled to perform full sets at the concert, which has a 5 p.m. starting time. Tickets go on sale 10 a.m. Friday.

Walsh, 75, is the son of a former U.S. military officer. His father, a first lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force was killed in a 1949 crash while stationed on Okinawa.

His late dad partly inspired Walsh and his wife, Marjorie, to launch VetsAid.

This year’s edition of the concert will use the money it raises for grants that will exclusively be given to military veterans-focused charity organizations based in Southern California, or that have operations on the ground in Southern California.

Grant applications are open now via the VetsAid website: vetsaid.org/grants.

“VetsAid is back for 2023 and we’re taking it outside in beautiful San Diego to support California’s veteran population.” Walsh said in a statement released Monday morning.

“My good buddy Jeff is bringing the ELO experience for their first show since 2019. The War on Drugs is one of my favorite bands out there doing it and I’m thrilled to be able to welcome them. The Flaming Lips are a perpetual joy machine that will dazzle our audience; if you know, you know and if you don’t — you will!

“Lucius are two spectacular vocal artists and songwriters that will take your breath away. And to top it all off, we have my dear friend and hero, Stephen Stills, joining as a special guest. My friends and I will see you under the stars!”

Walsh most recently performed in San Diego on March 3 at SDSU’s Viejas Arena with the Eagles. In July, the band announced that its upcoming tour, which begins in September and is billed as “The Long Goodbye,” will be its last. No West Coast dates have been announced as yet.

Tickets for the Nov. 12 San Diego VetsAid concert at North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre go on sale 10 a.m. Friday at ticketmaster.com. They are priced at $39.50 to $249.50 each, plus service charges.

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to a fundraiser (fentanyl crisis) last night at Emo's.  Show hosted by Lance Keltner, whose stepson succumbed to accidental fentanyl overdose.  

Pretty awesome lineup: Eric Johnson acoustic with accompaniment by a great stand-up bass player.  Then Vallejo put on a really great rocking show, followed by the Lance Keltner band, which also tore it up.  Johnny Gowdy then performed, and Guy Forsyth closed it out with a bunch of dudes who had already performed.  Really great show.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

Went to a fundraiser (fentanyl crisis) last night at Emo's.  Show hosted by Lance Keltner, whose stepson succumbed to accidental fentanyl overdose.  

Pretty awesome lineup: Eric Johnson acoustic with accompaniment by a great stand-up bass player.

Roscoe Beck.

Then Vallejo put on a really great rocking show, followed by the Lance Keltner band, which also tore it up.  Johnny Gowdy then performed,

Johnny Goudie.  Talented dude.  Never quite "made it" but should have.  His first big Austin band Mr. Rocket Baby was awesome.  Kinda like School Of Fish, heavy pop.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Pretty awesome lineup: Eric Johnson acoustic with accompaniment by a great stand-up bass player.  Then Vallejo put on a really great rocking show, followed by the Lance Keltner band, which also tore it up.  Johnny Gowdy then performed, and Guy Forsyth closed it out with a bunch of dudes who had already performed.  Really great show.

Did they hand out Naloxone? I saw the Bouncing Souls a couple months ago, and Punk Rock Saves Lives had a table at the show.  They were giving out Naxoxone (i think) inhalers. I made a donation and chatted with them for a while.

Also, I got the Pumpkins tomorrow night at dos equis in dallas. Should be a very comfortable 105 degrees. Outdoor shows in Aug make me rethink my life decisions. Rival Sons and Interpol opening for them.

13 hours ago, GenXer said:

Did they hand out Naloxone? I saw the Bouncing Souls a couple months ago, and Punk Rock Saves Lives had a table at the show.  They were giving out Naxoxone (i think) inhalers. I made a donation and chatted with them for a while.

No, but they had a couple of tables there promoting sobriety, including an Austin organization whose name I don't recall, to which the concert proceeds are being donated.

12 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

No, but they had a couple of tables there promoting sobriety, including an Austin organization whose name I don't recall, to which the concert proceeds are being donated.

Connor's Heart?  Connor was the name of Lance Keltner's stepson who died of an overdose after taking a fentanyl-laced Xanax.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Connor's Heart?  Connor was the name of Lance Keltner's stepson who died of an overdose after taking a fentanyl-laced Xanax.

Bingo.  Lance was my next door neighbor before I moved.  They will also be doing shows in NYC, Dallas, Chicago, LA and New Orleans (I assume with different lineups than the Austin show).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Native Horn said:

Bingo.  Lance was my next door neighbor before I moved.  They will also be doing shows in NYC, Dallas, Chicago, LA and New Orleans (I assume with different lineups than the Austin show).

I should say, Connor's Heart is the name of Lance and Lisa's nonprofit to raise awareness. But the proceeds are going to some Austin drug-abuse organization that they chose to donate to.  And the shows in other cities will also donate to those cities' local organizations, at least that's how I understand it.

5 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I should say, Connor's Heart is the name of Lance and Lisa's nonprofit to raise awareness. But the proceeds are going to some Austin drug-abuse organization that they chose to donate to.  And the shows in other cities will also donate to those cities' local organizations, at least that's how I understand it.

Yes, that sounds right.  I guess every city will have a beneficiary organization (or more) that has the ability to target local needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

saw Everclear in '96 or so. They were, uh, not good. My high school band at the time was significantly tighter. Which isn't to say I don't like Everclear, I think Art is a pretty good songwriter. But yeah.

Spacehog was opening for them, and absolutely crushed. One of the top ten shows I've been too, easily.

So against all possible odds @jimmyjazz, I actually just stumbled on a full concert video from this tour, I'm legitimately gobsmacked it is on the web. Obviously didn't fit in the pop thread. It's the Toronto date, but this is pretty much the same show, the disco ball they somehow got out over the crowd, the whole thing. I'm not sure on the setlist after almost 30 years, but seems pretty close. I remember Roy wearing a white suit too and not whatever he has on here.

One of the interesting things about Spacehog is In the Meantime was always one of the weaker live songs, their other shit was much better suited for that. To Be a Millioniare at 47 minutes in is a ripper, this version was actually a B side single, not the album version. Zeroes, at 39 minutes in may be my favorite song of theirs.

Of course every 90s concert has a mosh pit too.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cool, I'll check that out later.  I always loved the hit but never really paid much attention to the band otherwise.

Yeah my band at the time actually covered it quite a lot. And great song for sure, Royston being able to play that bass line and sing at the same time is pretty strong.

The encore is pretty strong too now that I'm watching. They were just a really tight live band, such a good sound.

It’s 93 degrees. In Dallas. In Aug. Smashing Pumpkins in a few hours at Starplex. Last time I saw them live was at Starplex in ‘95 at lollapalooza. They were an indistinguishable wall of noise. Swore I’d never see them again.

But based on comments here on how they sound now live, I’m going tonight with tempered expectations.

Then, I’ve got a 8 AM flight tomorrow for a work trip. Shit, I better go pack.

• Like 1

It’s 93 degrees. In Dallas. In Aug. Smashing Pumpkins in a few hours at Starplex. Last time I saw them live was at Starplex in ‘95 at lollapalooza. They were an indistinguishable wall of noise. Swore I’d never see them again.
But based on comments here on how they sound now live, I’m going tonight with tempered expectations.
Then, I’ve got a 8 AM flight tomorrow for a work trip. Shit, I better go pack.

Interested to hear how this turns out. I saw them open for the Stones at the Speedway on the Bridges to Babylon tour. I think they were in a bit of a slump back then.

I have tix to see Phoenix/Beck on Monday. Wondering how bad the heat will be.

Really enjoyed the Moondance Mini-Fest at Empire on Saturday.  Caught six bands.  I really liked Dodo (fusion/funk) and Je'Texas (psychedelic rock).  Je'Texas has a residency at the Continental Club this month but at F'ing midnight on Wednesdays.  I think they're at Sagebrush Friday.

PXL_20230813_003716921.jpg

Edited by texasdago

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh yeah, I always forget about Dave Matthews.  I guess that sums up my feelings about Dave Matthews.

I swear, if you were to ask me a month from now "have you ever seen DMB?" I'd almost surely answer "no".

I was there and had forgotten about DMB too. We were tied up in the ticket snafu so we missed all of Matchbox 20, which I'm not sad about yet. Ended up next to the B-stage down on the track.

38 minutes ago, trubbaman said:

I was there and had forgotten about DMB too. We were tied up in the ticket snafu so we missed all of Matchbox 20, which I'm not sad about yet. Ended up next to the B-stage down on the track.

That's right where we were.  Maybe 30 feet away.  Some fatty threw her bra up and Ronnie wore it on his head.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's right where we were.  Maybe 30 feet away.  Some fatty threw her bra up and Ronnie wore it on his head.

I just remember Mick’s IFB not working and how he got more pissed off with every passing second before he pulled it out and threw it down on the stage.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, txduck87 said:

Earth Wind & Fire and Lionel Richie in Houston, Sept 2nd. Toyota Center.

Man, I saw Richie in Vegas, and what a show.  Motherfucker plays hit after hit after hit.  What really impressed me was his band...super tight and full of really young guys.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Happened to be down on South Congress last night for an early dinner and decided to go to C-Boys and see Restos (formerly Western Youth i think).  I had seen in the chronicle that they had a residence at 6:30 at C-boys as a prelude to an Album release at Continental Club sometime in September.  We caught a few songs before the close of their set, and a couple of the second set.  And damn we really enjoyed them!  Plus it was free and early (geezer hour as I call it).

Reminded me of some of the early 80's musical vibe, between the five of us, two olds and three 20 somethings, we all enjoyed them.  At times Tom Petty like, Springsteen, with a sprinkle of Country.  Diverse sound and easy to listen to.  Wife and I are probably gonna go back and see the entire set last week.  But if you want a great free thursday early show for the rest of the month check them out at C-Boys.

Side note - about how Austin is changing.  Went and ate at Aba and it was solid but not spetacular, but fun as a group.  But holy cow, I expect downtown to be a sea of cash and flash when I go to hotels and such but I don't know if we are becoming cali, houston, or Dallas but the vibe around Aba was more like the Galleria than Austin.  Just a lot more pretentiousness.  I will say if I were a single guy, it seemed like there were 3 gals to eery guy early in the evening.  Going there and going to C-boys was like going back in time to what Austin used to be.  Thank God we still have a little Austin left. Get it while you can!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2023 at 7:39 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Interested to hear how this turns out. I saw them open for the Stones at the Speedway on the Bridges to Babylon tour. I think they were in a bit of a slump back then.

I have tix to see Phoenix/Beck on Monday. Wondering how bad the heat will be.

Just getting around to this.

Rival Sons opened the show, and the seats were maybe 10% occupied. Made for a lot of echoing so the acoustics were lousy during the RS set.

Interpol came on next. I’m not into them but some of the crowd seemed to enjoy them. Their sound is full of two chord rapid strumming. Coupled with the strobe lights of their light show made for a visual and audio assault on my GenX ass.

The Pumpkins started their set with two newish tunes that were 80% drums and 20% everything else. I was thinking about an early exit at this point. The third song was an unique Talking Heads cover of Once in a lifetime. My interest was piqued. They them went into a string of songs with a heavy dose of siamese dream and mellon collie. That’s what I came to the show to hear. They played today, tonight tonight, 1979, hummer, cherub rock, disarm, bullet w butterfly wings, zero.

I think they perform the songs too drum heavy at times. It’s as if the drummer is compelled to do drum fills at all times. Sometimes less is more. In fact, the crescendo of bullet lost its punch by the constant drum fills leading into it.

The weather was glorious. 83 degrees with a light breeze by the end of the show. Corgan and the guitarist made several comments about the heat, and everyone is thinking “you have no idea”.

Light show was fantastic and they sounded much much better than when I last saw them in ‘95.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bought last minute tickets to go see Fred Armisen tonight at Empire.  Apparently puts on a great show - mix of comedy and music.  

Saw the line last night for Reckless Kelly after dinner in East Austin.  Y'all should remember Sagebrush has Scattered and Shattered about one a month or so.  

It was not 100k. 67k was total attendance. And roughly 2/3 of them were high as a kite. Tommy Chong would have been impressed.

First show in a long time you could see and smell actual weed. lol
Usually everyone is either on an edible or a pen.
Guy sitting in front of me smoked at least 4 joints. And he was much less annoying than the drunk ass fuck behind me.
  • Haha 2