Concerts you are attending

bamachine

What time did War on Drugs come on? I know they don't have an opener and are supposed to go on at 8pm tomorrow. I hope they play Holding On. I was so stupid to not see them back when they were supporting A Deeper Understanding. 
8:30. Allegedly there was still a long line at 7:50 so they delayed 30 mins.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Enjoyable show last night with The War On Drugs. I'm not a big fan of the venue. It feels too large for some artists and TWOD felt no different there. The show was maybe 70% sold and had a pretty low energy crowd until Under The Pressure played. I think a bit of that is on the new album though. I was hoping they'd played more off A Deeper Understanding but only got 1 song. All in all, pretty enjoyable and they're a really good live band. Wish I had seen that Bomb Factory show back when they were supporting the last album. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

thanks 3 putt. I'll be there tonight.

it was a cluster last night. Only two entrances open. Use Bell St entrance, it was much shorter and quicker. Lot of people missed the opening songs, waiting to get in. Lot of concessions were also closed. Once the concert starts, no one leaves their seats. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Enjoyable show last night with The War On Drugs. I'm not a big fan of the venue. It feels too large for some artists and TWOD felt no different there. The show was maybe 70% sold and had a pretty low energy crowd until Under The Pressure played. I think a bit of that is on the new album though. I was hoping they'd played more off A Deeper Understanding but only got 1 song. All in all, pretty enjoyable and they're a really good live band. Wish I had seen that Bomb Factory show back when they were supporting the last album. 

i love the new album, but would be annoyed with only hearing one song from a deeper understanding.  at a minimum, pain, nothing to find, and in chains should be played at every show.  thinking of a place should probably be included in that group as well.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, mdmost said:

Wife and I loved the show. We were in Section 101 but it was kind of warm in there and I think that kind of close quarters with Omicron raging were a bit unsettling for her. About four songs in, we went to use the restroom and get more drinks. We wound up walking back into the first section of permanent seating where we found two seats with 4-5 spaces between us and other people and sat back and watched the show. That's kind of how I enjoy WOD anyways -- dark room, beverage in hand, relaxing.

I enjoy Toyota because it's about 10-15 mins from my house. It's clean, usually not too many lines to get drinks and they figured out the sound in there -- the first shows I saw in there terrible. A buddy who used to run light/sound at Gilley's and other venues around town said Toyota/Live Nation let some guys who didn't know WTF they were doing set up the initial sound system. Again, it's been fixed. Another pro move is to park at The Texican Hotel across the street and pre-game at Two Mules Cantina. They've usually got half-priced drinks and $5 appetizers during the week. But with it being cold and an early start with no opening band, we just parked in the main garage. It was $20 but we got out in about 5 mins after the show.

23 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i love the new album, but would be annoyed with only hearing one song from a deeper understanding.  at a minimum, pain, nothing to find, and in chains should be played at every show.  thinking of a place should probably be included in that group as well.

Adam said they weren't going to do one of their big ones -- I think it was "Thinking of a Place" because somebody wasn't with them and he said they tried it and he couldn't remember the lyrics, the chords or the arrangement. Somebody fill me in on who isn't touring with them right now?

At any rate, that was my first time to see them. I went to Arcade Fire @ AAC the last time they came through Dallas. Unfortunately, I couldn't be in two places at the same time. I'll see WOD anytime they roll through town as they sound fantastic live.

I got Mitski at the Bomb Factory with my oldest kid in February. She's a big fan of Mitski and I get to be hero dad who got her tickets to see the artist she loves before we return to our regularly scheduled programming of me being the worst thing ever to her. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

thought all them witches was just ok on saturday. a lot of it had to do with the terrible crowd...could not get away from loud talkers, it was like back of stubbs bad. starting to really not enjoy sold out shows at the mohawk. the last few times i've seen ATW it's been in small dark clubs and i think their music lends itself better to that setting than to a bigger place like mohawk. energy just wasn't the same. 

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

Adam said they weren't going to do one of their big ones -- I think it was "Thinking of a Place" because somebody wasn't with them and he said they tried it and he couldn't remember the lyrics, the chords or the arrangement. Somebody fill me in on who isn't touring with them right now?

They just announced someone has COVID and they're postponing their next two shows

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

They just announced someone has COVID and they're postponing their next two shows

Oops. I don't think that explains Adam's comment the other night, though. I just assumed a crucial band member is not with them on this tour for some reason.

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

I bet this is it: https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/the-war-on-drugs-were-effortlessly-transcendent-at-their-irving-show-on-friday-13267733

Granduciel was backed by drummer Charlie Hall, horn player Jon Natchez, guitarist/keyboardist Robbie Bennett, keyboard/synth player/guitarist Eliza Hardy-Jones and bassist Dave Hartley, with tour manager Craig McQuiston making a cameo to add extra guitar to “Under the Pressure.” (Drummer Anthony LaMarca was absent Friday, but Granduciel noted he would be “rejoining … soon.”)

6 hours ago, stc said:

thought all them witches was just ok on saturday. a lot of it had to do with the terrible crowd...could not get away from loud talkers, it was like back of stubbs bad. starting to really not enjoy sold out shows at the mohawk. the last few times i've seen ATW it's been in small dark clubs and i think their music lends itself better to that setting than to a bigger place like mohawk. energy just wasn't the same. 

Didn't make it to that show but mohawk's got some talkers.  Lots of scenesters there. 

Saw the war on drugs on Thursday.  I've seen them a ton of times, and can't help but thinking they're our generation's adult contemporary/soft rock.

12 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Hopefully a plus side to this brings an opportunity for me to see them at the Ryman, since the Nashville show tonight was one of those postponed. 

https://ryman.com/event/war-on-drugs/

I saw thier show in Irving on Friday and wouldn't mind travels for a more intimate venue.

8 hours ago, destroya said:

Didn't make it to that show but mohawk's got some talkers.  Lots of scenesters there. 

Saw the war on drugs on Thursday.  I've seen them a ton of times, and can't help but thinking they're our generation's adult contemporary/soft rock.

This was my first Drugs show and I was surprised at the crowd. I saw some of the typical types I'd see at a Wilco show and others that I'll see at Band of Horses or something newer like Rainbow Kitten Surprise. I also quite a few that likely make it in from Frisco and Coppell for Luke Combs shows at Starplex.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, C-Man said:

At any rate, that was my first time to see them. I went to Arcade Fire @ AAC the last time they came through Dallas. Unfortunately, I couldn't be in two places at the same time. I'll see WOD anytime they roll through town as they sound fantastic live.

They are missing Anthony LaMarca, he was out for the Austin shows as well and Adam said they couldn't play Thinking of a Place along with other songs because "who's going to play guitar?" Lamarca is a multi-instrumentalist, I couldn't find any details about why he's not starting the tour with them.