Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

anyone wanna guess how many yards VY had this game and how many points we scored? Surly would have wanted him benched and in the portal

texas-longhorns-vs-the-oklahoma-sooners-

Idk about the rest of surly but I remember we got our ass kicked.  I was also pissed we waited so long to play VY.  I don’t feel that way about MM

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Cook pretty much got tackled. Should have been a flag. He would have been right there with the DB.

Granted Cook got pushed down. I haven’t looked at replay, but it seemed like I saw 3 white jerseys around the ball that was picked by one of them. If true that’s a bad read. Cook not open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Idk about the rest of surly but I remember we got our ass kicked.  I was also pissed we waited so long to play VY.  I don’t feel that way about MM

This.  MM is the anti VY.  if the play isn't there he isn't gonna save it.  He may make the play called work correctly or he may not but he isn't going to save it.  He doesn't really even know how to move around in the pocket yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Bobby Layne said:

Granted Cook got pushed down. I haven’t looked at replay, but it seemed like I saw 3 white jerseys around the ball that was picked by one of them. If true that’s a bad read. Cook not open. 

I was there and had the benefit of seeing the whole field right as he released it.  It would've been 1 against 2 on a jump ball, at best.  Bad read for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Malik is very inconsistent and so far has 2 big and consistent problems. 

1) He stops setting his feet and starts throwing off his back foot routinely. 

2) He has a cannon, but hasn't figured out how hard to throw. Some were bullets and some were floaters. This may be related to #1. 

Those two dramatically have effected his consistency and accuracy, but both are coachable and something that can change rapidly once the game gets more comfortable for the QB and slows down. If that happens, his potential upside is very high. 

That's not to say it will happen in the next few weeks, but there is a lot there to work with and Sark is one of the best QB developers in the game. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

anyone wanna guess how many yards VY had this game and how many points we scored? Surly would have wanted him benched and in the portal

texas-longhorns-vs-the-oklahoma-sooners-

Well Surly wasn't around, but on hornfans the general feeling was that we wanted to launch Greg Davis into the sun. After getting shut out with Vince Young and Cedric Benson on offense. 

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Can you people read.  Never said he was better that Ewers.  I said I think he has more up side.  Mostly because of his rocket arm and 6'5" frame.  Plus he finished second only to Cade Klubnik in the Elite 11.  He has the tools.  The rest is mental.

If he can learn, he has an NFL proto-type body.  He just needs to learn how to play the game at this level.  2 games isn't enough data to say he sucks and will never amount to anything.  He might not.  Way too early to tell.

nFL talk is tiresome. NFL geniuses didn’t rate Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson etc etc so highly. Maalik needs to step up like the backups that have beaten Texas’ ass over the years. Caleb Williams two years ago. Brock Purdy. The big BYU guy who later played at New Orleans. I’m sick of 5 star this and cannot arm that. Recruit winners and gamers. Don’t care how they look in their uniforms. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

NO - you are forgetting the rest of the season - CCG, playoff, MNC.  Arch shouldn't play a down until at least the Tech game if we want to keep his redshirt.

We have to successfully get to those games first. Ewers is probably back before then anyways.

People forget VY didn't beat out Chance Mock.  If he hadn't been such a highly rated recruit people complaining here would have wanted him to transfer.

His RS year he threw 6 TDs and had 7 picks

Note:  In no way am I comparing MM to VY, just that you can't throw a guy to the curb after his first 2 games during his RS freshman year

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well Surly wasn't around, but on hornfans the general feeling was that we wanted to launch Greg Davis into the sun. After getting shut out with Vince Young and Cedric Benson on offense. 

I'm still in favor of launching Greg Davis into the sun and we wouldn't even have to empty the wreath fund to do it.

Iowa fans would definitely pitch in.

Hell, they'd probably pay for the whole thing if we include Brian Ferentz. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They steaming pile of shit from MM from about 11:35 am until close was way worse than any shit show from a UT QB that isn’t a drooling idiot. 
stop polishing the turd. It was awful. Seriously. That was a 30 point game with case McCoy at QB or some other scrub.  Swoops is the only Ut QB in all our shit years to put up a performance that awful. 

It was awful, but what was that game that our QB got booed off the field (and I don't think he ever came back)?  Was it Gilbert?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I don’t give two shits if you decide to pay up on something stupid you said while you were drunk posting again. Your whole tough guy alpha schtick is hilarious though.

So fucking hysterical. Let me know what I owe you, sugar tits.

Oh wait - I owe none of you any money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The start of the game showed his potential

The rest of the game showed his limitations

Dude got rattled after the INT and was way off from then on

As I thought, his play these last two games shows us that Quinn is actually a fucking great QB.

I'm glad we escaped with the W

He made some big throws on the late FG drive; he also missed a wide-open Worthy on a deep out which is why it turned into an FG drive. I agree, at this point, you have to be happy with the win because that was a veteran team and we were down our starting QB, safety, and RT.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This.  MM is the anti VY.  if the play isn't there he isn't gonna save it.  He may make the play called work correctly or he may not but he isn't going to save it.  He doesn't really even know how to move around in the pocket yet.

Even worse, if the play isn't there, MM will likely panic and do something terrible. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

I have no doubt that Maalik has the strongest arm on the team. I’d also like to point out that the national talking heads compare Quinn to cutler.  Rocket arm, kind of aloof and loose with mechanics.   Quinn has a very strong arm as well 

Sadly that's probably fair.  I see Quinn having a nice long NFL career as a back-up.  Much like Colt.

14 minutes ago, Pods said:

2) He has a cannon, but hasn't figured out how hard to throw. Some were bullets and some were floaters. This may be related to #1. 

Those two dramatically have effected his consistency and accuracy, but both coachable and something that can change rapidly once the game gets more comfortable for the QB and slows down. If that happens, his potential upside is very high. 

That's not to say it will happen in the next few weeks, but there is a lot there to work with and Sark is one of the best QB developers in the game. 

1 and 2 still apply to QE right now

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

People forget VY didn't beat out Chance Mock.  If he hadn't been such a highly rated recruit people complaining here would have wanted him to transfer.

Note:  In no way am I comparing MM to VY, just that you can't throw a guy to the curb after his first 2 games during his RS freshman year

I'm not saying throw him to the curb.  I like the kid, and he shows flashes.

But, he is not ready to take us where we're trying to go.  And, I don't want to see us blow a conference championship shot, potentially followed by a playoff spot, because we're scared of bruising his ego or him transferring out.  In this portal age, such considerations should be out the window.

I'm not saying punt on the kid permanently.  But, he needs to go sit down.  And, he needs to take it the right way.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

To my recollection Chance Mock beat VY out for the starting job. He had 15 TDs and 2 INTS when VY took over out of desperation because the offensive line couldn't keep Mock upright. I may be wrong though. Not about Mock being the starter though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I'm not saying throw him to the curb.  I like the kid, and he shows flashes.

But, he is not ready to take us where we're trying to go.  And, I don't want to see us blow a conference championship shot, potentially followed by a playoff spot, because we're scared of bruising his ego or him transferring out.  In this portal age, such considerations should be out the window.

I'm not saying punt on the kid permanently.  But, he needs to go sit down.  And, he needs to take it the right way.

I agree.  I guess I'm just not convinced Manning is ready.  Mostly based on the fact that Sark hasn't put him in yet.  For better or worse I think MM gives Texas the best chance to win at this point in time.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not saying it was the correct read, but cook would have been there if it weren’t for that. Some people wanted to act like he just tossed the ball out there to no one.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

To my recollection Chance Mock beat VY out for the starting job. He had 15 TDs and 2 INTS when VY took over out of desperation because the offensive line couldn't keep Mock upright. I may be wrong though. Not about Mock being the starter though.

Mock started the next week, but VY came in relatively soon and we only saw Mock relieving on the few, maybe one, instance where VY went out hurt.

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

Those two dramatically have effected his consistency and accuracy, but both are coachable and something that can change rapidly once the game gets more comfortable for the QB and slows down. If that happens, his potential upside is very high. 

Hasn’t Maalik had more than two weeks with Sara? More like, two years. He shouldn’t be an “in game” practice player. His pregame body language says he thinks he’s great! His results don’t match his attitude. Confidence is born out of actual productivity. Humility is the cure for arrogance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Re: the "oh yeah well Ewers!" stuff.... He went through a stretch of about five quarters recently where he went something like 38 of 41 with four TDs and no picks. Then he got hurt. There is no QE vs MM discussion to be had. 

Number of dropped INTs during that stretch, just like Maalik today

• Haha 1

The good thing with this, the voters will have an understanding that our shitty wins were due to an inexperienced quarterback.  So as along as we continue to win until Ewars is 100% healthy, we shouldn't lose any ground in rankings.

Maalik needs to tighten up his decision making, and learn to apply amnesia after every setback. 

The next 3 teams are trash, but each of them have upset us in years past. 

We are in the spot we wanted to be in.  Bitching about our backup QB, instead of bitching about how our backup QB hasn't gotten any play time (which has always screwed us down the road).

Keep the focusness.  Ewars is fragile, this is concerning.  Do we want to risk another injury before the conf championship game?  How would that look?  Another bad hit against another trash school would kill this season. 

If we can continue to invest time and learning into Maalik, not burn Arch's shirt, and continue to win, great for us.  This has to be Sark's long game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Mock started the next week, but VY came in relatively soon and we only saw Mock relieving on the few, maybe one, instance where VY went out hurt.

"Young took over as the starter, primarily because coaches felt that the poor play of the offensive line necessitated a more mobile quarterback". Quoted from Wiki

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers