NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody wants that clown in the league. The Nets are much more fun to watch without him. KD playing point is very satisfying. Bron needs to worry about the dumpster fire team he is on.

So true…I assume if Luka Doncic did something similar to Kyrie and promoted links to material hurtful and demeaning to black people (full disclosure I am part Jewish on my dad’s side) that LBJ would say the same for Luka? No. He wouldn’t. He should focus on his Lakers dumpster fire. No need to defend Kyrie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You know what's going to be interesting to watch? How Lebron's influence fades as he becomes less and less relevant as a basketball player. I think it's safe to say that in the history of the league, nobody has been able to leverage his on the court success into being a more powerful and influential figure. Even MJ, who was more iconic as a player, still got cut off at the knees by Jerry fucking Krause. 

At some point in the very near future, nobody is going to give a fuck about him or his opinions, or who he wants to play with. Sure, Klutch was built on his back, and they are still probably the top 1-3 agencies in the sport, but how much of that is sustainable after he's gone and he can't strong arm a franchise like the Cavs or Lakers into signing his guys? You can find guys in the G-league to go 2-9 to play for the minimum and not have to deal with any of their bullshit.  I think he's due for a pretty big comeuppance when the harsh reality hits him that his relevance and influence in the sport is directly proportional to his ability to compete for championships. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think LBJ winds up being a part owner of some team…get those remaining rings another way. But yeah…I think as his dominance on the court fades he will lose influence. Defending Kyrie isn’t necessary. And kind of counter to his stance on other various issues. “He’s been punished enough…” stuff shouldn’t fly with anyone. No matter what race they are or whether they are an athlete or celebrity or any sort. 

I think at this point, Lebron just wants to play at least one season with his son, if he even makes the league. I don't keep up with him at all and don't know his odds of making it. But can't feel sorry for him at all. Unlike Dirk, this is the team he wanted as he has heavy influence and control over all the personnel decisions. He wanted to team up with all his friends and we saw how big of a disaster that was. Dirk, Kobe and LeBron all are going to fade away on shitty teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's 2022 and the Golden State Warriors are still allowed to obvious run moving screens to setup Curry for 3s. 🙄

They've been allowed to set moving screens for the last 10 years; why would they stop now?

But I'm sure the incoming league apology and 2 minute report will make it all better.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It wouldn't be as annoying if Warriors fans weren't in complete denial about it, with a victim complex to boot.

Meh. Every team sets moving screens. Just like every offensive line holds. It's not a foul unless they call it. The Warriors set more than everyone else because their offense is more screen-heavy than everyone else's. And they're smart enough to know that if you move backwards through the screen--as if the defender is the one pushing you into movement--it's really, really hard to call.

As far as the Klay screen: dude had no idea Klay was coming and turned hard into it before Klay could reach his spot. Happens all the time. I'd give it a 50/50 shot that they even call it a foul in the 2-minute report.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

And yes, they've been doing this for years.  Dirty, dirty team.

Haha c'mon man. Context matters. This was the last ~20 seconds of a game that Golden State trailed by 2 or 3 possessions, and everyone was in scramble mode trying to chuck a 3. It's not calling pass interference on a Hail Mary. They call that if the game was closer or it was the 2nd quarter. Should refs call what they see consistently, no matter the situation? Of course. But we all know they don't.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And right on cue, there was @aggie08 ...

Ok, fine. You caught me: the 50/50 comment was some light trolling. Probably more like 80/20 that it gets called a foul in the 2-minute report.

I'm not in denial. They set a lot of moving screens. There's an art to doing it without getting called, just as there is getting away with a subtle hold on an offensive line. They're better at it than most. Cry me a river.

Also a little funny that the dude calling it dirty cheers for a team that signed Dahntay Jones before every postseason for literally no other reason than cheap shotting opposing stars during garbage time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

As far as the Klay screen: dude had no idea Klay was coming and turned hard into it before Klay could reach his spot. Happens all the time. I'd give it a 50/50 shot that they even call it a foul in the 2-minute report.

Here's a better look at the foul screen - this was not Okoro turning into the screen or a flop.  Klay's feet are literally off the floor as he runs into Okoro.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Also a little funny that the dude calling it dirty cheers for a team that signed Dahntay Jones before every postseason for literally no other reason than cheap shotting opposing stars during garbage time.

Give me a break.  You know how many reg-lar season games Jones played for the Cavs in his career?  Two.  A few more in the playoffs (and actually had a key 5 points in Game 6) but that's it.

Dahntay Jones Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft Status and more | Basketball-Reference.com

Are you really suggesting the Cavs are a dirty franchise because Jones had a cup of coffee with the franchise for a couple years over 5 years ago?

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Meh. Every team sets moving screens. Just like every offensive line holds. It's not a foul unless they call it. The Warriors set more than everyone else because their offense is more screen-heavy than everyone else's. And they're smart enough to know that if you move backwards through the screen--as if the defender is the one pushing you into movement--it's really, really hard to call.

Every great team benefits from officiating advantages one way or another. For the Dubs it's moving screens to get the best shooter ever wide open looks. It's just how it is, and for the most part you just accept it. Hurts a little more during end of game situations though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

You know how many reg-lar season games Jones played for the Cavs in his career?  Two.

Exactly my dude. Two years in a row, they signed a useless player on the eve of the playoffs. Why do you think they did that? He was their "send a message" guy. It was obvious. The video is out there against the a Raptors, Celtics, and Warriors. He's a well -known cheap shot artist.

One of the years that Cleveland picked him up, he only made $127 in salary because of of the playoff technical and flagrant fines he had to pay for.

"Cup of coffee." They brought him in for a very specific purpose.

31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Exactly my dude. Two years in a row, they signed a useless player on the eve of the playoffs. Why do you think they did that? He was their "send a message" guy. It was obvious. The video is out there against the a Raptors, Celtics, and Warriors. He's a well -known cheap shot artist.

One of the years that Cleveland picked him up, he only made $127 in salary because of of the playoff technical and flagrant fines he had to pay for.

"Cup of coffee." They brought him in for a very specific purpose.

It was five years ago.  And yes it was Kendrick Perkins before him.  But nobody in the org is left and the current regime would never do anything like that .

• Hook 'Em 1

It's an obvious illegal screen and it should be called 10 times out of 10 in November and it handed the Warriors the game. This isn't the Western Conference Finals. Y'all should have seen all of the bullshit the refs were calling last night in the Spurs game. Acting like that was a reasonable non-call is hilarious. There are tactful illegal screens and then there's shit like that where there's not even an attempt to disguise it. 

I'm sure Cleveland got a couple of calls in their favor too last night but that was a terrible non-call to swing the game on and the fact that it's the Ws makes it subject to much more scrutiny. I'm not up in arms because I don't give a shit about the Cavs but any Cavs fan is well within their right to be pissed about it. It mainly just makes me roll my eyes. 

Seeing a lot of people say the Cavs got a bunch of calls in their favor. So maybe it just evened things out. Either way that doesn't make it a good non-call. Especially in that moment. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It was five years ago.  And yes it was Kendrick Perkins before him.  But nobody in the org is left and the current regime would never do anything like that (in fact, I think we have too many "nice guys" on the team and need at least 1 or 2 fire-breathers).

Oh, for sure. Perk and Jones reek of LeBron/Lue "we need an enforcer" signings. Just returning the ribbing a little. This new incarnation of the Cavs is bad ass. Rooting for them. And it was fun rekindling that rivalry a little last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, for sure. Perk and Jones reek of LeBron/Lue "we need an enforcer" signings. Just returning the ribbing a little. This new incarnation of the Cavs is bad ass. Rooting for them. And it was fun rekindling that rivalry a little last night.

Well it's not really a rivalry when one team has won like 20 in a row... 😳

This tweet made me laugh though - 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Well it's not really a rivalry when one team has won like 20 in a row... 😳

This tweet made me laugh though - 

Nah, I think they're good. Even a diminished Klay proved that he belonged on the court in an NBA Finals last season. He made a few big shots and defended multiple positions. Not sure you can say that about Love anymore. But maybe he'll prove me wrong this June.

The screen shenanigans took away from Steph cementing himself as the best beneath-the-rim finished in the league last night. Kyrie is more aesthetically pleasing, but Steph is far not efficient at putting the ball inside the hoop.

26 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

@Pancho Can you explain why there is a tech for walking onto the court with a warm up shirt on? And is that any worse than a player holding the ball while arguing a call?

Not sure what the rule is if it's from the NBA. They are a different animal than college. 

If I had a clip, I could maybe piece it together. 

50 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Best I could find. Just seems silly since it was coming out of a time out. And did not impact game play.

Just looked at the box score. The only tech SA got was a delay. That was my first thought is that it was some sort of delay of game. It's possible the NBA has a rule that coming off the bench if you aren't "ready to play" (meaning your practice shirt is still on) then that's a delay of game. College would get more leeway there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Pancho said:

Just looked at the box score. The only tech SA got was a delay. That was my first thought is that it was some sort of delay of game. It's possible the NBA has a rule that coming off the bench if you aren't "ready to play" (meaning your practice shirt is still on) then that's a delay of game. College would get more leeway there. 

It was a delay. The crew in that game was pretty... special. 

That Cavs/Twolves game was a beating to watch as a Cavs fan. No Mitchell or Allen, and they started Mobley and Kevin Love in the frontcourt... lol   That was the most foul-happy ref crew I have seen this year, it felt like there was a foul called every 30 seconds. The Cavs came back in the 4th to make it look close, but it was never really out of hand for the Twolves, I think the closest they got was 5 points or so.  Garland went off for 51, but about 20 of those were in what seemed like garbage time in the 4th. Dude was shooting the team out of the game in the first half, then turned it on in the 2nd.  Maybe Garland would be better suited as the ultimate 6th man running the offense and taking all the shots against the opposing second unit. He hasn't been great since coming back from that eye injury against Toronto, it may be worth it to shake things up and see what happens. 

Brooklyn is losing to the Lakers right now. No Kyrie of course, but they are down about 12 in the 3rd. Pretty awful performance by the Nets so far, 3-22 from 3pt... lol

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

My guys are sitting pretty at 3-10. Thanks Brooklyn for showing up and letting AD have a turn-back-the-injury-clock game. Losing to the Lakers right now has got to feel like a loss against the Washington Generals.

I mean they have one player. 

So right now the draft standings would be:

1. Rockets - Own pick (has swap options with Brooklyn and Philly per Harden trade)

2t. Hornets - Keep pick (protected)

2t. Pistons - Keep pick (protected)

4. Lakers - Send to NOLA Pelicans (AD trade)

5. Magic - Own pick

6. Warriors  - Own Pick

7t. Minnesota - Send to Utah Jazz (Gobert)

7t. Chicago - Send to Orlando Magic (Vucevic/Aminu Trade)

7t. Brooklyn - Keep pick if worse than Houston/Philly

10t. Thunder - Keep pick (option for swap with Clippers)

10t. Spurs/Heat/Knicks - Own pick

14t. Pacers/Kings - Own pick

And that's all the lottery picks right now.  Chicago looking like garbage so far could help the Magic get another high pick or THE pick. The Rockets likely aren't getting anything out of the Philly and Brooklyn swaps available to them, I think both of those teams will be fine in the long run barring any major injuries.  Utah could be in the mix for Wemby if the Twolves implode, which would be pretty crazy to see. OKC could still be in the mix if they dial it back. Last year you needed 25 or less wins to be in the bottom 5, and OKC already has 6 this year. Not looking like they will be the worst of it, but who knows, there are still 69 games left.

In any case, it appears there are quite a few Western teams poised to get the 1st pick, which would provide some balance to the league. Hopefully it doesn't go to Charlotte, Detroit or Orlando as the East is already stacked.

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

In any case, it appears there are quite a few Western teams poised to get the 1st pick, which would provide some balance to the league. Hopefully it doesn't go to Charlotte, Detroit or Orlando as the East is already stacked.

Balance? What are you basing this on?