NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Kind of a weird thing to say for a guy who's never been to the WCF.

I like Ja, and I like dudes that are a little cocky and brash to bring some edge into the league...

...but, damn, dude has been on the wrong side of the trash talk : actual accomplishments ratio since his rookie year.

my opinion- basketball players and fans know less about winning than players and fans of any other sport. for example i've found that baseball fans and players tend to be a lot more knowledgeable than most of their counterparts, where basketball fans and players tend to be as clueless as it gets. and i believe that this stems from a fundamental lack of understanding of the talent/teams ratio, ie the wild surplus of talent for a 30 team professional league.

the entire world plays basketball. it's not a sport for rich kids, or for kids in certain climates, and you don't need a ton of people or equipment to play it. the entire world of basketball players are competing for 450 roster spots, of which probably 2/3 are totally locked up. there's no other sport (that anyone cares about) where every single player in the league is in the top 0.00001% of talent. everyone has talent. everyone. just look at the Jazz- they tried to tank and they're competitive as hell! 

in soccer, there is no one single NBA, there are countless professional leagues and the top talent is spread among them. in baseball, you have guys who make the all star team and then get demoted to AAA by the end of august, be abuse the guys at the end of a 25 man roster are totally interchangeable. but in basketball, you've got the ~300 best hoopers and ~150 best role players in the world making up the entire league. so you not only have every single one of the most skilled players in your league, you've got those who are good enough and savvy enough or smart enough to play a role, and to take away a roster spot from someone else who is insanely skilled but can't fit within a team structure. there is way more nba level talent than there are roster spots.

all of this is to say, that basketball fans and players alike by and large do not understand the importance of everything besides talent that it takes to win- culture, coaching, scheming, role players, chemistry, a great front office, etc, etc. winning isn't (all) about having the most talent, so Ja can look around and go, "yeah i'm a beast, nobody's shaking me" all he wants, but until he A)learns how to win and B)is surrounded by a winning culture/organization it'll be all talk. and hey, maybe Memphis is that organization- i don't follow this stuff closely enough to have a clue. my overarching point is more about the hubris and naïveté of basketball players and fans when it comes to talent vs winning.

Edited by shadow_operative

Ja is basically AI 2.0. He'll probably win more over his career because it seems like he's going to be on better teams and I think he's more professional. 

If you look at guys his size the only ones that were the clear cut best players on title teams are Steph, Wade and IT. Steph is the greatest player under 6'6" in NBA history. Wade was in a different stratosphere as a defender than Ja. IT is probably the best analogy for someone around that size that won a couple titles but those Pistons teams were from a different era and very finely tuned to be able to make the runs they did. IT was also more of a traditional point-guard and less trigger happy. 

The league seems fairly wide open again this season and Memphis is looking like a contender. I'd be shocked if they won it, though. It's difficult to run four straight series when your best player is 6'2" 150 and can't play defense. 

In Ja's defense - I wouldn't be shocked if MEM made the Finals. But I think the East is going to be throwing someone really fucking nasty the West's way this season. 

I mean, gun to my head, I'd pick Memphis to come out of the West. They're the deepest, most athletic, hungriest team in the conference. But, if they are the best team, it's by a fucking sliver. The West is a bunch of pretty good, no great, teams. Ja thinking it's going to be anything less than a war is pretty naive. But I'm sure he still thinks they win it all if he doesn't get hurt last year, so not surprising.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, Message Board User said:

Boston loses to Orlando in Boston on Friday...and then again this afternoon (shows you what a grind the NBA season is and how bad losses will happen to all teams, though Orlando has a bright future and Paolo and Franz are great building blocks.. @d2o ).

Bunch of Orlando players tweeting and retweeting this clip - 

Yep, they managed to put together some pretty good pieces with Bol, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and Wendell Carter.   Even Fultz and Bamba are looking better now that they are not being relied on to be top level guys and can just fill roles. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:16 PM, Message Board User said:

The Trae Young stuff is pretty wild.   Why does he think his team hasn't made "inroads"??   He isn't playin very well and his style makes a team wholly dependent on him playing well.   They brought in Dejounte to get him off the ball more and protect him on defense and it hasnt worked as well as they hoped.    

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Philly and Brooklyn starting to play like we thought they would when the season started

A majority of people thought Brooklyn would be a shit show. And then people collectively threw their shoulders out patting themselves on the back after the start to the season. Especially the media.

Not going to lie, watching Golden State--in the midst of their worst stretch all season, and without 2 of their 3 best players--remind Memphis how the champs' dick tastes after Ja's comments (which were absolutely a shot across the bow of the Warriors) is pretty damn satisfying.

It's not going to make a shit come April, but a good night nonetheless.

also jamaal murray remains in that devin booker class of being perpetually overrated, and he needs to stop shooting off the dribble. almost nothing in the nba as frustrating as having a super elite no.1 player paired with a no.2 who has *no idea* that he isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Edited by shadow_operative

Jokic: 16/25 FG, 2-4 3PM, 7-9 FT, 41 pts, 15 reb, 15 ast. he's the best player since LeBron was at the peak of his powers, is probably alf the front runner right now to win his third consecutive mvp (would be first since larry bird), and yet he's somehow still underrated and under appreciated. Luka still gets more press, respect, and love than Jokic. never seen anything like it. 

The team with the best home record in the league: Golden State. A team whose record is below .500 has lost twice at home.

The team with the worst road record in the NBA: also the Warriors. Worse than teams actively trying to lose games.

Crazy. Has to be a first for this late in a season.

Like I said, gun to my head, I'm picking Memphis to come out of the West. But, if you could promise me 100% health for Golden State, I'd take them in a heartbeat. But their margin of error is microscopic this year.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The team with the best home record in the league: Golden State. A team whose record is below .500 has lost twice at home.

The team with the worst road record in the NBA: also the Warriors. Worse than teams actively trying to lose games.

Crazy. Has to be a first for this late in a season.

Like I said, gun to my head, I'm picking Memphis to come out of the West. But, if you could promise me 100% health for Golden State, I'd take them in a heartbeat. But their margin of error is microscopic this year.

You're fucking stupid. You just reminded me why I no longer participate in this thread. Happy holidays. See y'all next month. 

Sorry. I can't help it. "100% health". Why don't you make the playoffs first. You were shitty even when Curry was playing. 

We get it. You won the title last year. Curry is amazing. You fucking suck this year. Accept it. 

Edited by ztejas

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're fucking stupid. You just reminded me why I no longer participate in this thread. Happy holidays. See y'all next month. 

Sorry. I can't help it. "100% health". Why don't you make the playoffs first. You were shitty even when Curry was playing. 

We get it. You won the title last year. Curry is amazing. You fucking suck this year. Accept it. 

Cool post.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude...

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Dude...

Y’all seriously can't act this taken aback when I stop in to talk a little shit. You know who I am. Give me a break. I probably won't post in here for another month. 

Honestly I dropped by to post something innocuous then saw that aggie thinks that the Warriors are making another Finals run. Comedy at its best. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Y’all seriously can't act this taken aback when I stop in to talk a little shit. You know who I am. Give me a break. I probably won't post in here for another month. 

Honestly I dropped by to post something innocuous then saw that aggie thinks that the Warriors are making another Finals run. Comedy at its best. 

prove it.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How'd that Nets dick taste tonight. 

It's December, man. Chill out. Derka waxes poetic about Jokic. MBU gives us video clips and Cleveland updates. I find ways to bring up the Warriors even though literally no one asked. Vic posts James Harden memes. You pretend that your takes don't suck shit through a straw and quit the thread a dozen times in protest...until KD does something newsworthy, and you can't stay away. Rinse, repeat. It's. Fucking December.

For what it's worth, my Warrior's take wasn't pure sunshine pumping. My question about having the best home record and worst road record was rhetorical. I already know the answer: yes, it is an NBA record for largest disparity between the two. Meaning their road record is an anomaly that will level out.

Their bench is young and generally sucks, but plays better at home. The bench doesn't matter as much in the playoffs. Statistically, their starting 5 is still the best per 100 possessions in the league. They've absolutely crushed teams with Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney on the floor, before their non-Steph lineups come in and hemorrhage points. 

The added stress on their aging starters will most likely reach a breaking point. But, if not, the West is a bunch of mediocre teams, so who the fuck knows. What team in the West would you feel 100% confident picking to beat them? You think they give a shit if they're the 7 seed?

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's December, man. Chill out. Derka waxes poetic about Jokic. MBU gives us video clips and Cleveland updates. I find ways to bring up the Warriors even though literally no one asked. Vic posts James Harden memes. You pretend that your takes don't suck shit through a straw and quit the thread a dozen times in protest...until KD does something newsworthy, and you can't stay away. Rinse, repeat. It's. Fucking December.

For what it's worth, my Warrior's take wasn't pure sunshine pumping. My question about having the best home record and worst road record was rhetorical. I already know the answer: yes, it is an NBA record for largest disparity between the two. Meaning their road record is an anomaly that will level out.

Their bench is young and generally sucks, but plays better at home. The bench doesn't matter as much in the playoffs. Statistically, their starting 5 is still the best per 100 possessions in the league. They've absolutely crushed teams with Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney on the floor, before their non-Steph lineups come in and hemorrhage points. 

The added stress on their aging starters will most likely reach a breaking point. But, if not, the West is a bunch of mediocre teams, so who the fuck knows. What team in the West would you feel 100% confident picking to beat them? You think they give a shit if they're the 7 seed?

I know what I'm talking about and don't need validation. That's why I don't post here. 

You think this shitty Warriors team has a shot in the West and that's adorable. Keep fucking that chicken. Your team is trash and getting bounced in the first round. Steph and Dray have too many miles on them. You're delusional if you think that they're repeating what they did last year.