NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If the warriors are healthy, they are going to be a tough out. I also wouldn’t sleep on the clippers if they are healthy too. Even the grizzlies and pelicans are going to be tough. And the mavs just added an ultra talented psychopath to their roster. The west playoff is going to be a blood bath. Can’t wait. 

Yeah I know those are good above average teams, but I don't think any of them push the Nuggets or Suns to more than 6 games in a series. Nuggets vs Suns would be a great matchup if they are all healthy, but I would take the Suns in that instance. If the Cavs don't come out of the East, then I will be rooting for KD or Jokic to win it all. 

If KD can stay healthy, he has the opportunity to take over this Suns team and lead them to the Finals, and possibly a ring. It would be tremendous for his legacy to get one with a bunch of guys who have never won a championship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If the warriors are healthy, they are going to be a tough out. I also wouldn’t sleep on the clippers if they are healthy too. Even the grizzlies and pelicans are going to be tough. And the mavs just added an ultra talented psychopath to their roster. The west playoff is going to be a blood bath. Can’t wait. 

I hope somehow the Suns and GSW meet up.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:19 PM, longhornmatt said:

When Zion actually plays, he scores with the type of insane effective FG% that only Curry matches.  He shoots the same percentage as guys who only try to score if they have open layups, except he initiates offense and can get 30 as your number 1 option.  

Uh, there's a 2-time MVP who is shooting 63% on the year, and that includes 110 3 pt attempts (he's shooting 39% from 3).  None of the rest of the top 10 has attempted more than 8 3s on the year.  Zion is at 61% with only 19 3s attempted.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah I know those are good above average teams, but I don't think any of them push the Nuggets or Suns to more than 6 games in a series. Nuggets vs Suns would be a great matchup if they are all healthy, but I would take the Suns in that instance. If the Cavs don't come out of the East, then I will be rooting for KD or Jokic to win it all. 

If KD can stay healthy, he has the opportunity to take over this Suns team and lead them to the Finals, and possibly a ring. It would be tremendous for his legacy to get one with a bunch of guys who have never won a championship. 

Rudy T has some advice for you on who to not underestimate, lol

Mostly agree though. I wanna say the Warriors can be a threat if healthy but that road record is just complete dumpster juice.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Rudy T has some advice for you on who to not underestimate, lol

Mostly agree though. I wanna say the Warriors can be a threat if healthy but that road record is just complete dumpster juice.

The next playoff series that the Warriors lose where Steph, Klay, and Dray start every game will be their first.

That said, I just don't see how those 3 guys stay healthy enough through 3 series to make it out of the West with how little they've gotten from anybody outside their starting lineup all season. Shit, they're probably going to have to go on something like a 10-2 run once Steph gets back to avoid the play-in. A week ago, being the 7 seed didn't sound so bad. Not it may land you KD, Book, and a presumably healthy CP3 in Round 1.

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Lists are usually way off, but I find this one to be decent:

No photo description available.

No Jokic?  Come on now.  Every other back to back MVP is on there (and the lowest is Steve Nash at #38, next lowest is Malone at #18) but he doesn't even make the list?  AD is #53?  Chris Paul?  James Harden?  Dame?  Only one MVP and no titles among the 4 of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I still don’t think Tim Duncan gets enough love on these. He probably has more titles than days spent under .500.

I mean how many time did Tim Duncan lose 3 games in a row in 20 years?

He also is a player who started his career as a traditional down low, rim protecting big, dominated and won titles with that style, then was able to transition to a more free flowing and ball movement oriented offense and still be a dominant player. A very unique player. I'll always love truly dominant two-way players. He can be in my top 5 any day, but i am a biased MF.

Edited by Pam Cummings

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I still don’t think Tim Duncan gets enough love on these. He probably has more titles than days spent under .500.

I mean how many time did Tim Duncan lose 3 games in a row in 20 years?

What is more important?  Titles or individual play?

Timmy has the titles (while playing alongside two HOF players) and gets more credit for team achievements  

Individually as a player, Olajuwon was the better offense and defensive player by a significant margin. 

*splitting hairs as id have him in my top 10 (TD)

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Timmy has the titles (while playing alongside two HOF players) and gets more credit for team achievements  

Individually as a player, Olajuwon was the better offense and defensive player by a significant margin. 

Horse shit. Winners win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

No Jokic?  Come on now.  Every other back to back MVP is on there (and the lowest is Steve Nash at #38, next lowest is Malone at #18) but he doesn't even make the list?  AD is #53?  Chris Paul?  James Harden?  Dame?  Only one MVP and no titles among the 4 of them.

Probably an old list. Like a couple years ago. 

All of the above

It’s actually the number of days the Spurs have had a losing record since 1997.

For anyone who might have forgotten, this is 2018, meaning in 21-plus seasons, the Spurs have had a losing record for a grand total of less than seven weeks

https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/sports/spurs-zone/crazy-stat-shows-true-measure-of-spurs-sustained-excellence

Absolute insanity.

The 2022-2023 spurs have already 100 days under 500

Jokic with another triple double for 21 on the season, and the Nuggets are 21-0 in those games to boot. I watched the second half of this game, and the Nuggets were in control the whole time, but they played hard and kept the Mavs from getting close. Thomas Bryant had some great cuts to the rim for easy dunks and layups, so he's looking like a great fit for their offense. It's hard to believe, but 36 year old Jeff Green lead the Nuggets with 24 points tonight...  The Nuggets are looking great so far, hope they stay healthy and kick some ass in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

All of the above

It’s actually the number of days the Spurs have had a losing record since 1997.

For anyone who might have forgotten, this is 2018, meaning in 21-plus seasons, the Spurs have had a losing record for a grand total of less than seven weeks

https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/sports/spurs-zone/crazy-stat-shows-true-measure-of-spurs-sustained-excellence

Absolute insanity.

The 2022-2023 spurs have already 100 days under 500

Easily a top ten all time team as well. Maybe top 5

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Horse shit. Winners win. 

Jordan is Jordan. 

IMO both are above Shaq. Shaq’s biggest attribute was sheer size not skill. 

Lebron is 80% of the skill of Jordan with 20% more size. He’s in the conversation because his size has sustained his longevity producing all time #s

Jordans top 5 team

Jordan

Pippen

Worthy

Magic

Hakeem

https://www.sportscasting.com/michael-jordans-all-time-starting-five-consists-of-himself-and-only-players-from-his-era/

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I missed it, why didn't Kyrie play?
I understand why some fans get frustrated with the load management. I set aside time to watch Mavs-Nuggets. Interested to see how Kyrie-Luka stack up against a good team. Also expecting a high scoring, crazy shootout. But no Kyrie.

Good thing I didn't bet the over.

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I understand why some fans get frustrated with the load management. I set aside time to watch Mavs-Nuggets. Interested to see how Kyrie-Luka stack up against a good team. Also expecting a high scoring, crazy shootout. But no Kyrie.

Good thing I didn't bet the over.

With Kyrie, Murray and Gordon all out, the under was a safe bet last night.

If I were Cleveland, there's no way in hell I'd buy him out just so he could go to one of their competitors. Here you go Kev... we've overpaid the fuck out of you for damn near a decade on dogshit teams and now that we can actually make a move in the postseason, let's see if you can go to another team and try to beat us. 

I know the guy has fallen out of the rotation recently, but he would likely show up in spots somewhere during a playoff run and make a difference. Seems odd to me that he would want out of that after watching it come full circle from championship to tank and now back to contender. You can't hang on for another couple of months and try to get them all the way back? Really? After they paid you more than $200 million in career earnings? 1/5 of a billion fucking dollars. Seriously? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If I were Cleveland, there's no way in hell I'd buy him out just so he could go to one of their competitors. Here you go Kev... we've overpaid the fuck out of you for damn near a decade on dogshit teams and now that we can actually make a move in the postseason, let's see if you can go to another team and try to beat us. 

I know the guy has fallen out of the rotation recently, but he would likely show up in spots somewhere during a playoff run and make a difference. Seems odd to me that he would want out of that after watching it come full circle from championship to tank and now back to contender. You can't hang on for another couple of months and try to get them all the way back? Really? After they paid you more than $200 million in career earnings? 1/5 of a billion fucking dollars. Seriously? 

I get what you are saying but he was having a great yr early.    Like 6MOY good.   Then for whatever reason to completely fall out of the rotation is rough.   he hasnt played in 12 straight gms so its pretty clear they've moved on from him.    Let him move on too if he still feel likes he can play and contribute.   They probably would have traded him if they could have got someone to take on his salary anyway.   

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

trivia time 

over the last 25 years, there have been 1,700 times where a player has attempted more than 250 midrange shots in a season. during that span, only three times has a player shot over 55% from midrange. name all of the players to do do it. bonus: name the seasons they did it as well.

Durant last season, Jokic this season for 2/3?

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

trivia time 

over the last 25 years, there have been 1,700 times where a player has attempted more than 250 midrange shots in a season. during that span, only three times has a player shot over 55% from midrange. name all of the players to do do it. bonus: name the seasons they did it as well.

I listen to OM3 as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

So Giannis gets hurt, killing my Giannis over prop, but the bucks are still killing the bulls without him. Are they tanking?

I guess it's defense. I watch them a lot but usually casually on a side TV. They have 3 pretty decent players in Vuc, LaVine and Deebo. I'm not sure why they suck. Getting Lonzo back would help. Also got screwed on the Giannis props. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

So Giannis gets hurt, killing my Giannis over prop, but the bucks are still killing the bulls without him. Are they tanking?

No they are just legitimately bad.

One of the low key bad trades in recent memory is the Vucevic trade.  What a disaster that trade has been for the Bulls.  They still suck and they gave up Wendell Carter and a pair of lightly protected first round picks…the first of which turned into Franz Wagner (who is terrific) and the second will be a top 10 pick this year.

And as a result of picking up Vucevic, the Bulls got rid of Lauri Markannen (now an All star) for virtually nothing.

Just a really bleak picture for the Bulls’ future - a single tear runs down my cheek…ha.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

No they are just legitimately bad.

One of the low key bad trades in recent memory is the Vucevic trade.  What a disaster that trade has been for the Bulls.  They still suck and they gave up Wendell Carter and a pair of lightly protected first round picks…the first of which turned into Franz Wagner (who is terrific) and the second will be a top 10 pick this year.

And as a result of picking up Vucevic, the Bulls got rid of Lauri Markannen (now an All star) for virtually nothing.

Just a really bleak picture for the Bulls’ future - a single tear runs down my cheek…ha.

I liked Markannen when he was with the Bulls actually.  Maybe Donavan will take a look at our job?