NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. I can't take anybody's offensive numbers seriously in today's NBA. It's almost like the steroid era in baseball when you're trying to put things into historical context. The game is juiced right now, not the players. They need to allow some sort of handchecking on the perimeter or maybe angle the three point line where the corner three is now a two or maybe actually enforce a moving screen? I dunno, but they need to do something.

A crazy idea I had watching yesterday (that will never happen) would be to make screens past the 3p line illegal. So you'd have to have at least a foot on the 3pt line before setting a screen. 

25 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't take anybody's offensive numbers seriously in today's NBA.

While I agree, the caveat may be 63% shooting for a high-volume guy who isn't really a dunker and still puts up a couple of threes per game. I don't care if he's shooting against air; that's still crazy.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Jokic is incredible -- for sure my favorite guy in the league to watch. His mind for the game is absolutely next level. He beats you the way Magic used to beat you. There are 3-4 times a game where I end up pausing the game and rewinding it. Like this one from last night. I'm expecting the dribble hand off and he drops this to the guy slipping the screen and cutting to the basket. So good. 

32407908f76f4e92bfd6879b09c175d9.gif

I think he should win the MVP again. His teams have been snakebit by injury in the playoffs. I really hope that Porter and Murray stay healthy this year so we can really see what they are all about.

Two things though: 
1. I can't take anybody's offensive numbers seriously in today's NBA. It's almost like the steroid era in baseball when you're trying to put things into historical context. The game is juiced right now, not the players. They need to allow some sort of handchecking on the perimeter or maybe angle the three point line where the corner three is now a two or maybe actually enforce a moving screen? I dunno, but they need to do something.
2. I still think the game is going to slow down significantly when the playoffs start. They are going to allow more physical play. The guys are going to give better effort on defense and play with more intensity. So when it really matters, defense is going to matter. And Giannis is next level on defense. In a seven game series, I'm still taking Giannis over Jokic until proven otherwise.

yes, defense will matter in the playoffs, which is why the nuggets have made additions around jokic to pick up slack in that area. team defense matters a lot more than individual defense, and i honestly struggle to recall naming a playoff series that was won by any player's individual defense. i wont argue with you saying you're still taking giannis in a 7 game series, i'll just point out that as you said jokic has never had a fully healthy supporting cast, and that his numbers have historically gone up in the playoffs, where multiple times he has led his team to come from behind series wins. long story short, jokic has been awesome in the playoffs, and i really really hope that he can finally compete with a fully healthy team this year. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm getting to this point myself. He hasn't played on a contender one time in his career. He's made one conference Finals and two semis and lost those series 4-0, 4-1 and 4-1. Outside of that he has five first round exits. He's expressed no desire to leave Portland despite it being obvious that they're never going to put a roster around him good enough that he can win with. So he had 41 points in a half. Cool. His team is below .500. It's like a slightly better post-KD Westbrook impression he's doing. 

He's a great player but he's trading this weird loyalty thing and a massive contract extension for a shot to actually go down as an all-timer. People are going to remember him as a good player that never won anything. Not as some folklore legend that stayed loyal to his franchise. You don't have to shamelessly ring-chase but you can at least put yourself in a better position to compete. 

He's the Fred McGriff of the NBA.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yes, defense will matter in the playoffs, which is why the nuggets have made additions around jokic to pick up slack in that area. team defense matters a lot more than individual defense, and i honestly struggle to recall naming a playoff series that was won by any player's individual defense. i wont argue with you saying you're still taking giannis in a 7 game series, i'll just point out that as you said jokic has never had a fully healthy supporting cast, and that his numbers have historically gone up in the playoffs, where multiple times he has led his team to come from behind series wins. long story short, jokic has been awesome in the playoffs, and i really really hope that he can finally compete with a fully healthy team this year. 

I'm with you. I really want to see what a healthy Denver team does in the playoffs. I don't necessarily agree that they've gotten better defensively though. Murray and Porter are probably below average defensively. Gordon is probably league average. KCP and Bruce Brown are pretty good, but not elite. Reggie Jackson is fairly weak. Same with Thomas Bryant. I could see them having trouble matching up with some of the better perimeter offensive players in the west -- Ja, Steph, D'Aaron Fox, Booker, etc. 

Maybe not an entire series, but I do think about game-saving individual plays in the playoffs. Off the top of my head... Bruce Bowen blocking Chauncey Billups in the final minute of game 7. Lebron's chase down block on Iguodala. Or Tayshaun Price's chase down on Reggie Miller. Manu stuffing Harden. MJ stripping Karl Malone, going way back. More recently, Giannis blocking Ayton. Jrue Holliday locking down Chris Paul may be a better example of somebody's individual defense winning a playoff series. He completely swallowed him up and took Phoenix out of their game.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

giannis's defense is great and all, but it's not going to win milwaukee a playoff series, or even a playoff game to be honest.

Playoff success doesn't seem to be the right metric to use in this argument, especially if Jokic is your guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Jokic is incredible -- for sure my favorite guy in the league to watch. His mind for the game is absolutely next level. He beats you the way Magic used to beat you. There are 3-4 times a game where I end up pausing the game and rewinding it. Like this one from last night. I'm expecting the dribble hand off and he drops this to the guy slipping the screen and cutting to the basket. So good. 

32407908f76f4e92bfd6879b09c175d9.gif

I think he should win the MVP again. His teams have been snakebit by injury in the playoffs. I really hope that Porter and Murray stay healthy this year so we can really see what they are all about.

Two things though: 
2. I still think the game is going to slow down significantly when the playoffs start. They are going to allow more physical play. The guys are going to give better effort on defense and play with more intensity. So when it really matters, defense is going to matter. And Giannis is next level on defense. In a seven game series, I'm still taking Giannis over Jokic until proven otherwise.

This is where I am at as well. I do not get to watch as many games as you do, BUT if I can have just one guy on my team I want Giannis. Right now he is the best overall player in the game and he is going to be there for awhile. Jokic does things though that are mesmerizing to watch. I fell in love with basketball the first time I saw Magic play as a kid. I have never seen anyone quite like him, but Jokic has that type of vision and intelligence about what is going on around him. He sees the possession before it starts and goes from there. It helps that he has some talented players around him to be sure. 

Congratulations to Lillard on his 71. I really don’t have anything else to add there that would be complimentary. I did read it was ridiculously efficient though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If Jokic is so clearly the best player and his team is fully healthy and they have some really good players, then why are they 4th best odds to win the title? They are the #1 seed in the west. Could it be that Jokic isn't that great of a defender and Vegas knows this can be exploited in a playoff series? I have a really hard time calling a guy who isn't a 2-way player the best in the game. Prime LeBron was an elite defensive player.

According to FiveThirtyEight, the Nuggets are the favorites to win it all.  

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2023-nba-predictions/

14 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If you are sitting out a game in which you do not have an actual injury you should not get paid for that game. Either get out there and play or forfeit that game check. We would find out pretty quickly just how many guys want to take part in “load management.”

How does one dispute a sore calf?

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

How does one dispute a sore calf?

With common sense. This is the rare instance I will take the side of the men and women cutting the checks. If you want to show up and just hangout and not play feel free to do so, but do not expect a game check. AD has missed so many games during his tenure with the Lakers that I am at a loss as to recall every real and imagined injury this guy has had for my team.

A full stop to being paid for services not rendered is the solution. It does not need to be up for debate with the Player’s Association. Tell them this is how it is going to be. The owners can put all that money into the NBA Cares charity fund or something else worthwhile instead of the pocket of players faking injuries or wanting load management. Put that on the table for the next collective bargaining and don’t budge on it in any way whatsoever. Fans should not have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to see a team’s third banana be the marquee attraction on a given night because one or two stars want to not play. 

Edited by UpperWestside

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

According to FiveThirtyEight, the Nuggets are the favorites to win it all.  

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2023-nba-predictions/

Yeah, 538 says a lot of things.

I do worry about Denver's defense in the playoffs.  They have zero rim protection on that team among the regulars and that's going to bite them in the playoffs.  Last Thursday, in a game they beat the Cavs 115-109, Denver shot 17-36 from 3 while the Cavs shot 6-26 from long range.  Despite that huge disparity from 3 the Nuggets won by just 6 and the game wasn't decided until the final minute.

Now, maybe most games in the playoffs Denver will shoot about 50% from 3 while their opponents shoot about 25%, but I doubt it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't trust that defense in May and if Denver isn't efficient on offense they are done because they're not going to be able to stop anybody.

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Playoff success doesn't seem to be the right metric to use in this argument, especially if Jokic is your guy.

True, although they did make the WC Finals in the bubble.  And aside from Jokic, there are zero All-Stars on Denver's team.  Jokic has never played with another All-Star.  And yet Denver is in 1st in the west.

Giannis has Jrue Holiday and Khris Middleton.  KD has Booker and CP3.  Tatum has Jaylen Brown.  Luka has Kyrie.  Ja has Jaren Jackson.  Paul George has Kawhi.  Doing what Jokic does with no other All Stars around him is unreal (although I think Aaron Gordon got jobbed and should have been in this year).

Edited by Chewbacca

Historically, only good defensive teams win NBA Championships. If you're outside the top 10, you have virtually no chance. The only exceptions were the last titles for the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and Steph/KD Warriors where everyone knew they were in coast mode all regular season before dialing it back up.

That said, someone has to come out of the West. And the only defense that I'd qualify as really good is Memphis. We'll see how Phoenix's looks with their roster overhaul. Going to be some shootouts.

• Hook 'Em 2

@Chewbacca, my point was more about the argument itself, than the playoff record.  If your position is that Jokic should be the MVP because he's a fantastic offensive player, when you know that he hasn't had real success in the playoffs, then maybe claiming that Giannis's defense won't win a single playoff game, when he's got a ring and a much stronger playoff resume.  The supporting cast argument is valid, but I'd venture to bet that somewhere in the Bucks last 2 years of playoff wins (23), that Giannis won a game with his D.

Also, you beat me to the JJ vid.  He's making Derka's point perfectly.  May have used his posts for show prep.

I have no issues w/ Jokic winning his 3rd straight.  To me, MVP means the guy most important to his team winning and I have a hard time arguing that's not Jokic.  I do take issue w/ the idea that there aren't other worthy candidates.  Embid and Giannis, in particular, carry their squads.  Tatum is elite and definitely wins games, but the Celtics are deep as hell and seemingly win missing him and/or anyone else on their roster.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mittens said:

@Chewbacca, my point was more about the argument itself, than the playoff record.  If your position is that Jokic should be the MVP because he's a fantastic offensive player, when you know that he hasn't had real success in the playoffs, then maybe claiming that Giannis's defense won't win a single playoff game, when he's got a ring and a much stronger playoff resume.  The supporting cast argument is valid, but I'd venture to bet that somewhere in the Bucks last 2 years of playoff wins (23), that Giannis won a game with his D.

Also, you beat me to the JJ vid.  He's making Derka's point perfectly.  May have used his posts for show prep.

I have no issues w/ Jokic winning his 3rd straight.  To me, MVP means the guy most important to his team winning and I have a hard time arguing that's not Jokic.  I do take issue w/ the idea that there aren't other worthy candidates.  Embid and Giannis, in particular, carry their squads.  Tatum is elite and definitely wins games, but the Celtics are deep as hell and seemingly win missing him and/or anyone else on their roster.  

Honestly, I'd rather have a ring than another MVP for Jokic.  Just saying I think he's head and shoulders above everyone else this year.  Even more than he was last year.  And I agree with Redick that the people who downplay what he's doing this year don't watch him play.  I've never seen anything like it.  A center averaging a triple double for the entire season?  And he's never chased a stat in his life.  Dude doesn't care about stats.  He just wants to win.

We will see in the playoffs, though.  I just hope the team can stay healthy so we can see where they are really at.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

it was only game 4 of the nba finals while his team trailed the series 2-1 so i'm not sure if it's a big enough stage or not, but he did do this:

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Mittens said:

ignorant take. jokic has actually been better in the playoffs than he is in the regular season, he's simply never had his best teammates be healthy during that time. playoff jokic is a monster, not only statistically, but having led his team to multiple comeback series wins on the back of his otherworldly play. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Right now he is the best overall player in the game and he is going to be there for awhile.

as amazing as giannis is, a perimeter player who can't shoot is not the best player in basketball. of your team is down two with one possession left, no sane person would choose to have giannis over jokic in this situation. jokic can kill you 100 ways, while giannis can only try to bully his way to the rim. i'm sorry but there is zero argument that a guy who can't shoot is better than jokic. 

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

If your position is that Jokic should be the MVP because he's a fantastic offensive player, when you know that he hasn't had real success in the playoffs,

tell me you've never watched jokic in the playoffs without telling me you've never watched jokic in the playoffs.

also, this argument that says, "well giannis has a title and jokic doesn't, therefore giannis is better than jokic" is wildly off base, and is really only saying, "milwaukee has had better/healthier supporting casts than denver." switch jokic and giannis's teams over the last five years and tell me which one has a title and which one doesn't. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

summary of JJ's comments on jokic:

•he's first in all of the advanced metrics, and by large margins in many cases, eg Jokic leading the league in Wins Above Replacement Player at 16, with Luka being next at only 12.

•points out that the main argument against jokic always seems to be that the advanced metrics don't match the eyeball test, to which he responds, "what the fuck are you watching."

•he says that nobody in the nba makes the players around him better like jokic does, and that there's no debate here. he points to the fact that 5-6 of jokic's teammates are having their most efficient seasons ever, including older players like Brown and KCP.

•says, with some apology, that if you don't see that jokic is the best player then you're a casual. nothing wrong with that, but it's the truth.

•Jokic has never played with an all star. so why is his lack of playoff series wins an argument against him? he's been amazing in the playoffs. uses example of last year when denver was clearly outmatched by Golden state, where Jokic averaged 31 pts, 13 reb, 6 ast on 57% shooting e-bike being guarded by draymond and looney. what more do you want from him?

he basically makes every point that i've been making, only much better than i can, and with the credibility of a guy who played for 15 seasons and now covers the nba.

jokic is the best player in the world. he has been for several years now. giannis is Shaq; jokic is michael jordan. 

Edited by shadow_operative

My dear lord take the Jokic shit to the Jokic deserves his own thread talk. This banter has officially rivaled KDs OKC nostalgia talk that can last for weeks in this thread.

After MVPs are announced, does anybody actually care who wins after 3.5 seconds? All front runners are terrific basketball players. That’s Jokic, Giannis, Embiid and Tatum. All great players. Great. Move to the Jokic thread to continue why he deserves an award I, and probably a lot of people, have no invested interest in.

Can’t this thread be saved for Vic memes and games being played, lamelo fractured ankles, 71 pts from dame, point and laugh at the wolves etc?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Incredible amounts of disrespect for a 2x (soon to be 3x) MVP and 3x (soon to be 4x) first team All NBA, who is the subject of unending adulation from every respectable basketball podcast. I will not stand until Kendrick Perkins, Stephen A Smith and my high school friend Tim all recognize Jokic is the King!

• Haha 2

Incredible amounts of disrespect for a 2x (soon to be 3x) MVP and 3x (soon to be 4x) first team All NBA, who is the subject of unending adulation from every respectable basketball podcast. I will not stand until Kendrick Perkins, Stephen A Smith and my high school friend Tim all recognize Jokic is the King!
In fairness, Tim is an asshole. He'll never admit it.

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jokic and Luka for sure. Maybe SGA. Would you give up Ja for him? Booker? Mitchell? (I probably would - not sure if those teams would).

It isn't any deeper than that. 

The team trading the #1 would likely require all future FRPs and swaps available too.  No way does Detroit, Charlotte, Houston or SA accept just the one great allstar for a guy that looks like the next big superstar. 

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The team trading the #1 would likely require all future FRPs and swaps available too.  No way does Detroit, Charlotte, Houston or SA accept just the one great allstar for a guy that looks like the next big superstar. 

I'm confused. Are we talking about what teams would trade for the pick or whether teams would offer the pick or not? 

As amazing as he is we're talking about a guy that's well into the 7 foot range that may or may not have a long NBA career. I'm not rolling the dice on that instead of taking 5 years of Luka, Jokic or Giannis. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s not interesting at all to hear the 2X reigning MVP isn’t getting the respect he deserves when everyone who watches a lick of bball knows he’s tier 1 with 2 maybe 3 other players

like i said, jj redick felt the need to address the jokic hate less than 24 hours after i did, so plenty of people, including many who get paid to talk about the game/play the game themselves, have failed to ever give proper respect to the teo time reigning mvp. it's a strange, unprecedented bit of happenstance that's worth talking about, and which has brought up some interesting discussion in this forum during an otherwise dead period. i don't see what the big deal is. 

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm confused. Are we talking about what teams would trade for the pick or whether teams would offer the pick or not? 

As amazing as he is we're talking about a guy that's well into the 7 foot range that may or may not have a long NBA career. I'm not rolling the dice on that instead of taking 5 years of Luka, Jokic or Giannis. 

Yeah, VW's frame is the only thing that would give me pause.  Can his body handle the beating of an NBA season?  There's no question on the talent, for sure.

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think the original premise was, "would a team include player X in a trade for the right to draft VW?" I would assume any trade would require more assets from the team getting VW too, as a single player isn't going to help any of the lottery teams compete. They would want the biggest load of good players and picks ever seen in a trade.

Would Golden State offer Curry+assets for him? I don't think so 

Would Minny trade Ant-Man+ for him?  Maybe...

Would the Mavs trade Luka+ to start the rebuild? No way

Would the Cavs be willing to trade Mobley for VW?  Maybe, but the Cavs love him

I think the only players that are off the table are Jokic, Luka, Giannis, Tatum and Embiid. There's a Group of "maybe but probably not" players like KD, Curry, Ant, Lebron, Mobley and Dame that wouldn't work because their team values them more than others. 

Everyone else is worth discussing, even if a deal couldn't be made. 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Would Golden State offer Curry+assets for him? I don't think so 

Would Minny trade Ant-Man+ for him?  Maybe...

Would the Mavs trade Luka+ to start the rebuild? No way

Would the Cavs be willing to trade Mobley for VW?  Maybe, but the Cavs love him

I think the only players that are off the table are Jokic, Luka, Giannis, Tatum and Embiid. There's a Group of "maybe but probably not" players like KD, Curry, Ant, Lebron, Mobley and Dame that wouldn't work because their team values them more than others. 

Everyone else is worth discussing, even if a deal couldn't be made. 

Curry is 34 years old and owed about $160 million until he's 38. I understand why GS wouldn't trade him, but they sure as shit should. 

Ant Man? If they feel like there's a decent chance of him bailing / demanding a trade, then absolutely. Otherwise... I think I would stand on that hand. Dude is only 21 and on a crazy trajectory.

Cleveland would trade Mobley in a heartbeat I imagine. I about as big of a Mobley fan as you will find outside of Cleveland, but I would make that trade so fast it would make your head spin.

Jokic is a no. Giannis is a no. Embiid is a no. All three of those guys are 27-28 and in their absolute primes. Tatum is only 24. He's a no.

Luka, I might think about just because the roster construction is so fucked and he's got a big cap number going forward. Depending on what you do with Kyrie, you could reboot with a clean cap. You also have to put the chance of his demanding a trade into the calculus.

KD is an interesting one, just because the new guy in Phoenix seems to be pushing all of his chips into the table to win today. Otherwise, they would be smart to trade a 35 year old with a history of leg injuries for the next big thing who may end up with a bunch of leg injuries. Dame and his contract? No brainer. Portland can't decide if they should be tanking with Dame. They would jump on that in a heartbeat. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

KD makes his Subs debut tomorrow. 

I like the Doms chances against them.

• Haha 1