NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

He has been incessantly complaining the entire game. Despite getting away with whatever he wants on offense and shooting 20 free throws. Can't believe that was a double tech - they've been babying him all afternoon. 

Complaining-wise this has actually been one of Luka's better games recently which is sad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t care when or how…but damn I hope Boston and NYK play in the playoffs

Agreed. They give Boston problems for whatever reason. I'm amazed Boston didn't win that - they were coming off a recent loss in MSG and had just played that atrocious game against BKN. 

Knicks aren't fucking around - they're legitimately good right now (which seems crazy).

And Brunson didn't even play! Holy shit.

Edited by ztejas

12 hours ago, RabidM said:

There's no dominant team this year.  I think the championship still runs through Milwaukee for the East, but they're certainly beatable.  There's got to be around double digit teams with legit championship potential. 

I don't think the league has been this open since when, maybe the 1970s? I can't imagine a world where there is actual parity in the NBA. 

Teams with legit championship aspirations: Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, Denver, Phoenix, Golden State, Clippers.

Teams that you don't have to squint too hard to see beating any of the above teams: Cleveland, NY, Dallas, Memphis, Sac. Maybe even the Heat or Twolves, or a healthy Lakers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man all this time I thought Brunson was a scrub holding Luka back?
I miss Brunson. Hated how all that went down last year. But it seemed like he wanted to get out of here if he didn't even wait around to see what Dallas would do. He pretty much got his big contract with how he played in the playoffs last year, especially when Luka was out and he got us to a 2-1 lead against Utah.

I get both him and Luka are ball dominant and that can be hard to make work. But i thought the supporting cast was much more involved in the offense when Brunson was running the show for those 3 games. Luka is a ball stopper too often. The supporting cast knows this and they just have a habit of standing around looking at Luka.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think the league has been this open since when, maybe the 1970s? I can't imagine a world where there is actual parity in the NBA. 
Teams with legit championship aspirations: Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, Denver, Phoenix, Golden State, Clippers.
Teams that you don't have to squint too hard to see beating any of the above teams: Cleveland, NY, Dallas, Memphis, Sac. Maybe even the Heat or Twolves, or a healthy Lakers. 

I think the Clippers are all bark and no bite. They are probably 2 years past their window. They got worse with Westbrook and have zero bigs. Pretty much PG13 or Kawahi have to score efficiently and score 30+ for them to have a chance now that they’re hitched to Westbrook.

They had to come back down 16 in the 4th at home to a depleted Memphis team….which was their first win with Russ.
  • Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think the Clippers are all bark and no bite. They are probably 2 years past their window. They got worse with Westbrook and have zero bigs. Pretty much PG13 or Kawahi have to score efficiently and score 30+ for them to have a chance now that they’re hitched to Westbrook.

They had to come back down 16 in the 4th at home to a depleted Memphis team….which was their first win with Russ.

Yeah... they probably belong in the second group. The Westbrook thing is confounding. I don't know exactly how hitched to him they are but it sure seems like they plan on him playing 35 minutes a night. It's not like they can't bench him if he's hurting them. 

I still think that if you have a healthy PG13 and Nephew, then you have a shot at beating anyone. And in general, that's a roster probably better geared for the playoffs than regular season. They have a lot of vets who aren't going to crumble and they should be able to ratchet it up defensively when the game slows down and the refs let you get away with more.  I like the flexibility they have on the wings to go small and switch everything.  I also think that Ty Lue is a really good playoff coach. 

I think they lack any quality guard depth to make any type of noise. And they don’t have anyone in their 20s at all that plays valuable minutes

But yea youre right about the veteran part. Players like batum aren’t going to kill you at all offensively but he’s savvy enough defensively to frustrate someone like kat.

If any of George or Leonard are off offensively, I give them next to zero chance at winning

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would cut the Clippters from the first list, but otherwise agree.  Lots of teams have a legit shot at winning it all this year.

33 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nba/ja-morant/73-4dad9f4a-7a97-4e85-bab4-a8a10bc27e9c

Yikes. Something tells me this is gonna go longer than just 2 games. Wouldn’t be shocked if hes suspended for the season especially if he’s packing and traveling

He almost certainly broke CO gun laws, and we know for sure he broke the NBA's rules on traveling with firearms.  He's in trouble, for sure.

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Gotta wonder the lingering effect that Ja's stupidity has on that locker room. If Ja is out, or his presence is a distraction, do guys--who probably think that they had a very real chance to win it all--take it personally? Maybe the younger guys let it slide, but will the vets hold a grudge that he "wasted" their year?

A month ago, they would have been my favorite to make it out of the West. But Denver just kept winning, and Phoenix got some dude named Kevin. So I think Memphis is a step below even with Ja, but his teammates probably think different.

All that said, players still love Kyrie, so who the fuck knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Gotta wonder the lingering effect that Ja's stupidity has on that locker room. If Ja is out, or his presence is a distraction, do guys--who probably think that they had a very real chance to win it all--take it personally? Maybe the younger guys let it slide, but will the vets hold a grudge that he "wasted" their year?

A month ago, they would have been my favorite to make it out of the West. But Denver just kept winning, and Phoenix got some dude named Kevin. So I think Memphis is a step below even with Ja, but his teammates probably think different.

All that said, players still love Kyrie, so who the fuck knows.

They have some real tools on that team and like you said NBA players like Kyrie and Westbrook types.

28 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I would cut the Clippters from the first list, but otherwise agree.  Lots of teams have a legit shot at winning it all this year.

He almost certainly broke CO gun laws, and we know for sure he broke the NBA's rules on traveling with firearms.  He's in trouble, for sure.

We don't even know that it's his gun. Some dude might have brought it to the club for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

We don't even know that it's his gun. Some dude might have brought it to the club for him.

You think he flew his whole posse to Denver for a one night layover?  I mean, I suppose he could have but that sounds unlikely to me.  

32 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I mean that’s not at all likely but it’s literally the first thing I would say if I was Ja and pretty sure the nba can’t disprove it.  
Also it is the nba not the nfl. They don’t want to

punish their players. 

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You think he flew his whole posse to Denver for a one night layover?  I mean, I suppose he could have but that sounds unlikely to me.  

He (or one of his crew) could have bought the gun there as well. Again, not likely but can’t disprove that.  

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

He (or one of his crew) could have bought the gun there as well. Again, not likely but can’t disprove that.  

You can't buy a handgun in CO if you're not a resident of CO, and even private party sales here must go through someone with an FFL and a background check must be run.  Again, highly unlikely.  Far more likely Ja traveled to Denver with the gun (which is against NBA rules) and then flashed it at the club in Denver.

For some reason, I'm guessing that this rocket surgeon didn't have the foresight to carefully navigate his way around the NBA rules and the state of Colorado hand gun laws. Just a hunch, but it doesn't seem like having forethought and thinking things through are necessarily Ja's strong suit.

That dipshit is lucky he didn't shoot anybody or get shot himself before all of this came to light. Whatever consequences come to him in the way of league suspension or the legal system are going to be practically nothing in comparison to what the downside of this could have been for him. He seems to have literally dodged a bullet here. Let's see if he's got sense enough to learn from his mistakes.

I'll be honest, I don't have much faith in him. I think it was the day after all that other shit hit the fan about the fight with the 17 year old and the mall stuff, he's brandishing a weapon in a tiddy bar on social media. It's unfathomable the amount of stupid it takes to do something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

For some reason, I'm guessing that this rocket surgeon didn't have the foresight to carefully navigate his way around the NBA rules and the state of Colorado hand gun laws. Just a hunch, but it doesn't seem like having forethought and thinking things through are necessarily Ja's strong suit.

That dipshit is lucky he didn't shoot anybody or get shot himself before all of this came to light. Whatever consequences come to him in the way of league suspension or the legal system are going to be practically nothing in comparison to what the downside of this could have been for him. He seems to have literally dodged a bullet here. Let's see if he's got sense enough to learn from his mistakes.

I'll be honest, I don't have much faith in him. I think it was the day after all that other shit hit the fan about the fight with the 17 year old and the mall stuff, he's brandishing a weapon in a tiddy bar on social media. It's unfathomable the amount of stupid it takes to do something like that.

When your mom is fighting with mall shoe store employees and your dad is fighting with Shannon Sharpe courtside at a game, the stupid apple didn't fall far from the tree.  At this point it wouldn't surprise me if his career gets cut short due to all this nonsense and he's told to go somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

When your mom is fighting with mall shoe store employees and your dad is fighting with Shannon Sharpe courtside at a game, the stupid apple didn't fall far from the tree.  At this point it wouldn't surprise me if his career gets cut short due to all this nonsense and he's told to go somewhere else.

He's arguably (and in my opinion, inarguably) the most exciting player in the league. He's going to have to really up his gun game to get himself kicked out of the league. As far as the stupid apple goes, I'm guessing the tree is at least aware enough to know that money doesn't grow on itself. But then again... you just never know. They just might be that fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He's arguably (and in my opinion, inarguably) the most exciting player in the league. He's going to have to really up his gun game to get himself kicked out of the league. As far as the stupid apple goes, I'm guessing the tree is at least aware enough to know that money doesn't grow on itself. But then again... you just never know. They just might be that fucking stupid.

Up until all this nonsense came to light he was my favorite player not named Jokic to watch.  Not anymore.  I can't support this guy.  Agree that he'll have to up his game to get the boot, but from what I've seen, I think he's got what it takes to pull that off.

I don't really see it as that wide open unless major injuries happen. You have Denver and Phoenix in the West. In the East, it's Milwaukee and Boston. Then Philly. We hear this talk many years of it being wide open and it ends up being chalk as usual. This could change as there is still time before the playoffs but there are definitely solidified tiers right now of the contenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You can't buy a handgun in CO if you're not a resident of CO, and even private party sales here must go through someone with an FFL and a background check must be run.  Again, highly unlikely.  Far more likely Ja traveled to Denver with the gun (which is against NBA rules) and then flashed it at the club in Denver.

Of course that’s in all likelihood exactly what happened. Prove it. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't really see it as that wide open unless major injuries happen. You have Denver and Phoenix in the West. In the East, it's Milwaukee and Boston. Then Philly. We hear this talk many years of it being wide open and it ends up being chalk as usual. This could change as there is still time before the playoffs but there are definitely solidified tiers right now of the contenders.

I’m as big a Harden honk as there is and even I give them about a 0.3% chance of winning it all and would be shocked if they even got out of the second round. The champ will come from your group of 4 or Golden State if they are completely healthy. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I mean he could shoot himself in the leg 

Plaxico_Burress_smiles.thumb.jpg.ee3bd34760844dac0285f8a2fe77bab0.jpg

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You seem to think this is like the NFL where the league is out to bust stars down to size. That’s not how it works in this league. 

Nope, I don't think it's like that.  I do know that the league isn't going to put up with this kind of shit, though.  Will he stop?  Who knows.  He should, but he doesn't seem very smart.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope, I don't think it's like that.  I do know that the league isn't going to put up with this kind of shit, though.  Will he stop?  Who knows.  He should, but he doesn't seem very smart.

Oh no doubt on that man. The NBA is a due process League and governs with a light touch. Him having a gun on the road (with his group with him) is certainly cause to believe he traveled with his gun and certainly not definitive absent other proof. 

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m as high a Harden honk as there is and even I give them about a 0.3% chance of winning it all and would be shocked if they even got out of the second round. The champ will come from your group of 4 or Golden State if they are completely healthy. 

Agreed. I don't buy into Philly either but I feel they can make the 2nd round and maybe the ECF if injuries happen. 

I will be shocked if the champ this year doesn't come from Phoenix/Denver/Mil/Boston. There is a definite drop off after them in each conference. Golden St is definitely a wild card as if they get fully healthy and ready to go next month, they can for sure make a run, no matter their seed. Still not sure even healthy, I'd put them in the tier of Phoenix and Denver.

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

image.thumb.png.5130e7d9babd9f3a0d8cd5dd2bfe2179.png

i don't know how anyone ever bets an under in this league.  i understand that not every game goes over, but how on earth do you ever feel confident putting down money on an under, regardless of the total?

Like the old big 12 football. You want the under on Tech v OSU?  What is it?  85. No thanks. Thought you were going to tell me 110 and then I might think about it. 

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

image.thumb.png.5130e7d9babd9f3a0d8cd5dd2bfe2179.png

i don't know how anyone ever bets an under in this league.  i understand that not every game goes over, but how on earth do you ever feel confident putting down money on an under, regardless of the total?

I used to bet the first half under on every televised game.  If it misses I double up on second half under.   

Listening to Bill Simmons about Morant was interesting.  Said what I thought, which was Morant was a good guy.  Nike had invested a ton of money in his new shoe.  He was the next "guy" in the NBA.  (As a side note, when I saw Memphis play at OKC, I was surprised at the number of Morant jerseys I saw on teenagers.) No one seemed to know he was some wannabe gangster or it came on very recently.