NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

what is appealing about being a "gangster"?  I don't get it...

It’s just a projection of an image of “I’m tough and you don’t wanna mess with me.” It’s silly considering the tough guy beat up a teenager with his posse watching. I would probably also add that popular culture has glorified the image of gangsters in movies and tv. Morant decided to cultivate this image and he’s found out what happens when you do.

i wanted to put some tv on in the background as i get ready to leave, and i saw that espn was talking about jokic, so against my better judgment i put on First Take featuring JJ Redick, SAS, and Perk. i have to ask- who in the hell watches this shit? they let JJ go first, and 20 seconds into it as he's talking about advanced stats you have SAS rolling his eyes and Kendrick Perkins rolling his head back and then pretending to fall asleep. then when JJ asks Perk what the basis is for his "jokic tries to pad his stats" and "voters go out of their way to vote for white guys", Perk just starts screaming at JJ with that booming beaumont voice of his, and *nothing* that he says comes anywhere close to making any sort of relevant point. i had to turn it off after less than five minutes, and again, they were talking about Jokic! so you know it had to be bad. i just can't imagine ever voluntarily choosing to watch that shit, and yet so many people do, day after day.

Edited by shadow_operative

i wanted to put some tv on in the background as i get ready to leave, and i saw that espn was talking about jokic, so against my better judgment i put on First Take featuring JJ Redick, SAS, and Perk. i have to ask- who in the hell watches this shit? they let JJ go first, and 20 seconds into it as he's talking about advanced stats you have SAS rolling his eyes and Kendrick Perkins rolling his head back and then pretending to fall asleep. then when JJ asks Perk what the basis is for his "jokic tries to pad his stats" and "voters go out of their way to vote for white guys", Perk just starts screaming at JJ with that booming beaumont voice of his, and *nothing* that he says comes anywhere close to making any sort of relevant point. i had to turn it off after less than five minutes, and again, they were talking about Jokic! so you know it had to be bad. i just can't imagine ever voluntarily choosing to watch that shit, and yet so many people do, day after day.
Those shows do what they aim to. Fake debates, yelling and getting views and shares of their clips. They are the lowest hanging fruit of sports discussion. People tune in more to see what ridiculous antics will happen rather than for genuine sports analysis.

NBA on TNT tows the line perfectly. They don't take themselves seriously, have good debates and don't go over the top just because the script tells them to.

There's no doubt these shows are scripted.

57 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

It sucks that JJ took the money to whore himself out on ESPN. He and Zach Lowe should both be at the Ringer where there is some semblance of educated basketball conversation across multiple podcasts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ESPN is just all around awful. I had countdown on for a few minutes waiting for PHO/DAL to start and I wanted to blow my brains out. It's just Jalen and SAS screaming over each other. 

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

He and Zach Lowe should both be at the Ringer where there is some semblance of educated basketball conversation across multiple podcasts. 

Bally snagged Shams and that dude is smoooooth in front of the camera. It's like ESPN intentionally picks the worst people. Not sure how JJ got roped into that clown show. 

19 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I'm just guessing that the NBA isn't dying to find a reason to suspend one of their most popular players for 50 games. I think we all can safely assume that Ja packed on team premises, but unless there is a Gilbert Arenas situation, I assume nothing more will come of this.

The league could and should suspend him for a bit. As far as the legal stuff goes it's laughable. He could claim it was an airsoft gun. They don't have anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lmao

during the 3-4 minutes i was watching JJ also took Perk to task for his timeline (1990-today) on his "the only guys to win mvp while being outside the top 10 in scoring are white guys" by pointing out that Magic won three MVPs in the four years preceding 1990 while being outside the top 10 in scoring (one year he was 18th). and Perk reacted just like he did in this video, just acting all dramatic and then screaming at JJ. what a clown. it's kinda crazy to think where he'd be if he wasn't born 6'10", 280 lbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The league could and should suspend him for a bit. As far as the legal stuff goes it's laughable. He could claim it was an airsoft gun. They don't have anything.

Sure, fine if you want to suspend him to send a message that the NBA doesn't fuck around when it comes to guns. 

But as a larger point, I'm not going to be too morally judgmental of a 23 year old short of violent crimes (obviously Ja is flirting with that). If someone had given me a $200 million contract at 23, I would have burned through Colombia's two finest natural resources and died in a ditch somewhere.    

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"the only guys to win mvp while being outside the top 10 in scoring are white guys

Which doubly isn't true because Jokic was 6th last season in ppg. 

Also Dirk in '07 had a higher ppg than Curry in '15, KG in '04 and Duncan in '03. 

So it doesn't make sense on any level, really. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I'm just guessing that the NBA isn't dying to find a reason to suspend one of their most popular players for 50 games. I think we all can safely assume that Ja packed on team premises, but unless there is a Gilbert Arenas situation, I assume nothing more will come of this.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Sometimes an example needs to be made like Stern did Carmelo. And better to do it now than after something bad has happened.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It sucks that JJ took the money to whore himself out on ESPN. He and Zach Lowe should both be at the Ringer where there is some semblance of educated basketball conversation across multiple podcasts. 

He went to Duke. He was already a bitch ass whore.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

during the 3-4 minutes i was watching JJ also took Perk to task for his timeline (1990-today) on his "the only guys to win mvp while being outside the top 10 in scoring are white guys" by pointing out that Magic won three MVPs in the four years preceding 1990 while being outside the top 10 in scoring (one year he was 18th). and Perk reacted just like he did in this video, just acting all dramatic and then screaming at JJ. what a clown. it's kinda crazy to think where he'd be if he wasn't born 6'10", 280 lbs. 

That's a large baby.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I have no idea why Perkins is on tv.  No redeeming qualities at all and he's a Russ fanboy.

Same. It's like ESPN is trying to have their own Barkley in Perkins but instead of a HOFer that's actually funny and sometimes insightful, they picked a giant man baby who averaged 5 points in his career and will be instantly forgotten forever the moment his face is off TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Sometimes an example needs to be made like Stern did Carmelo. And better to do it now than after something bad has happened.

If Stern was still running the league, Ja might be playing AAA ball this summer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I was listening live this morning when they called him. Think it is hilarious how much run Chuck's comments are getting.

Somehow I hope this makes Kendrick fade into Bolivia.  I can't stand him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dillon Brooks might be the worst player in the NBA. It's debatable whether or not he should be on a roster and Memphis is playing him 30 minutes a night. What a trainwreck that team has turned into. 

Brooks is one of my least favorite players to come along in a good, long while. Has any team in the history of the league taken such a heel turn so fast? They went from loveable underdogs upsetting the Warriors in the play-in to full on villains in a heartbeat. Also, losing Brandon Clarke to injury is an underrated big blow for that team. Not that it matters if Ja is done for the season, but Clarke is a tremendous glue guy especially on defense, and they really don't have anyone to replace him. They will miss him if they are otherwise at full strength in the playoffs.

Two other things....

1. I have zero faith in Anthony Davis making through the rest of the season healthy, but the Lakers are going to make the play-in (at least) if he does. They are in 9th now, and only two games out of 5th. They have a lot of what should be winnable games down the stretch - Chicago 2x, Houston 2x, Utah 2x, OKC 2x, Orlando and New Orleans. They really did a hell of a job at the deadline to rebuild their team. And if they get Lebron back... that really isn't a team you want to see in the playoffs.

2. This Warriors road thing is beyond ridiculous. How on earth are they 7-25? For comparison, the Spurs and Rockets are both actively trying to lose and both are 6-27 on the road. Detroit is the third big tanker this season and is 7-26. I have no idea what to think about them as a title contender. Any other team with that kind of road performance I would dismiss out of hand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2. This Warriors road thing is beyond ridiculous. How on earth are they 7-25? For comparison, the Spurs and Rockets are both actively trying to lose and both are 6-27 on the road. Detroit is the third big tanker this season and is 7-26. I have no idea what to think about them as a title contender. Any other team with that kind of road performance I would dismiss out of hand. 

As the resident Warriors' apologist...I have no fucking idea what's going on. Their defense just does not travel whatsoever. They also foul a ton, and don't shoot many free throws whatsoever. A bad combination when the whistle already naturally favors the home team.

Draymond has obviously been the primary catalyst for them typically being a Top 5 defense for almost a decade, but I think Mike Brown deserves more credit for being the Draymond and defense whisperer, keeping guys engaged on that end night after night. I know I definitely owe him an apology for calling Sacramento hiring him "lazy." 

The one thing that I'm banking on is that the Warriors have never not won a road game in a playoff series under Kerr. So, to beat them as a higher seed, you likely have to take 1 of 3 in San Fran, then beat them in a Game 7 on your floor.

Also, beyond basketball, Wiggins' extended absence is getting troubling. Missing 9 games--with no return in sight--due to family issues is getting into really sick child concern territory. Hopefully, it's not as serious as it would seem.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Feel like last season was the Warriors last stand but who knows.

Bucks vs Nuggets or Suns 

If they’re healthy and have everyone available I wouldn’t bet against them and I certainly wouldn’t want to play them.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dray = man of the people.

We may go back to hating him as soon as tomorrow morning …But today he’s likable

Draymond calling anyone else a clown and an idiot is rich.

But, in Dillon Brooks' case, we'll all allow it.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

As the resident Warriors' apologist...I have no fucking idea what's going on. Their defense just does not travel whatsoever. They also foul a ton, and don't shoot many free throws whatsoever. A bad combination when the whistle already naturally favors the home team.

Draymond has obviously been the primary catalyst for them typically being a Top 5 defense for almost a decade, but I think Mike Brown deserves more credit for being the Draymond and defense whisperer, keeping guys engaged on that end night after night. I know I definitely owe him an apology for calling Sacramento hiring him "lazy." 

The one thing that I'm banking on is that the Warriors have never not won a road game in a playoff series under Kerr. So, to beat them as a higher seed, you likely have to take 1 of 3 in San Fran, then beat them in a Game 7 on your floor.

Also, beyond basketball, Wiggins' extended absence is getting troubling. Missing 9 games--with no return in sight--due to family issues is getting into really sick child concern territory. Hopefully, it's not as serious as it would seem.

I had the game on last night and decided to lock in for part of it and really watch what was happening. Granted I don't know what kind of coverages they were playing but to my untrained naked eye, I saw a few things.

1. Shai and Giddey really cause a lot of problems. No one could stay in front of Shai (Wiggins would help here) and he was even beating doubles. The extra help required for Shai would create an opening somewhere else and OKC wasn't missing last night.

2. There was still an effort component in my opinion. Multiple times it appeared to me that guys were not fighting through screens. Even on simple pick and pops. Poole was a frequent offender but honestly I saw Draymond get lazy in this regard a few times, as well. And the guys setting those screens aren't exactly Draymond Green. Weak screens and almost zero effort to close out.

3. Communication and confusion issues. Handful of times per half is too much. Even with the health/lineup issues it was just sloppy.

4. Sloppy on Offense = Turnovers = easy transition buckets when GS can't set their D. Still incredibly sloppy with the ball. 

I think that deep down they probably have a self belief that they are just going to be able to turn that extra level of effort on in the Playoffs. They are trying to get it going early but obviously can't. It's interesting to watch. Would be pretty impressive if they could pull it off again. 

I think we can remove the word "borderline" here - thank you KPJ for being such an asshole.

Just some unbelievable defense tonight saving the game from the neophyte - I don't know if there's another guy in the league that big who has that kind of quickness, footwork, and defensive IQ.

And he's really making leaps offensively as well.