NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Both inactive tonight but you're not wrong. 

Oh I know. It's what prompted the comment. One of them isn't in shape and the other one looks for any excuse he can not to play basketball games. 

I mean these are close to must-win games for Dallas. 

49 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Counseling for what?  Lulz.

Whole thing screams substance use to me. and not in the way that probably 80% of the league dabbles in substances. more in the way that he's barely handling his shit and is close to gloriously flaming out.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They are giving the Suns the full experience tonight. It may tighten up in the second half but the Warriors are still terrifying when Thompson and Curry are shooting like this. 

They appear to be dialing everything up at the right time in the season. They look very calculated and efficient. 

Granted - they need to play 15 more regular season games and their core is all in their 30s with huge miles. 

But they're flashing why they won the title last season. Crazier things have happened. 

Their schedule is rough as shit the rest of the way. Counting tonight, they have 6 home games left and 8 road games. Say they go 5-1 at home and 2-6 on the road (which may be generous given their struggles), does 42-40 keep them out of the play-in? Probably not.

Also starting to think that Wiggins may not play again this year.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Their schedule is rough as shit the rest of the way. Counting tonight, they have 6 home games left and 8 road games. Say they go 5-1 at home and 2-6 on the road (which may be generous given their struggles), does 42-40 keep them out of the play-in? Probably not.

Also starting to think that Wiggins may not play again this year.

Also I was just thinking... Klay has 33 at half and you're up 17. 

But - you look good tonight. I think y’all make the playoffs at the least.

Just now, aggie08 said:

'Member when Message Board User joked that the Warriors would finally be willing to trade Klay for Kevin Love this season? Cuz I remember.

Is 33 in a half good? I think that's probably pretty good. 

We really need these two teams to face each other in the playoffs with both of them at full strength. 

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

'Member when Message Board User joked that the Warriors would finally be willing to trade Klay for Kevin Love this season? Cuz I remember.

I never went crazy like that but I did think Klay was pretty much done early in the season. I was wrong.

Just now, SilasCoade said:

I never went crazy like that but I did think Klay was pretty much done early in the season. I was wrong.

Klay just needs to play. He was (rightfully) scared to play pickup games in the off-season, and the team kept him on a strict minutes restriction the first couple of months of the season. Almost guaranteed a thick layer of rust.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:29 PM, UpperWestside said:

You hit players in the pocketbook. That will quickly solve load management. Sit out tomorrow? Cool. You aren’t getting paid. Teams should not have to pay for guys doing this ridiculousness. 

That's making the assumption that its players' decisions to sit.   It isn't in the vast majority of cases.   Most of the time its the training staff under orders from management/owners.   Its just a nice thing for the owners to make it look like its "those bad, lazy, entitled players that just dont want to play" so fans can side with them when the CBA comes up.

• Like 2

That's making the assumption that its players' decisions to sit.   It isn't in the vast majority of cases.   Most of the time its the training staff under orders from management/owners.   Its just a nice thing for the owners to make it look like its "those bad, lazy, entitled players that just dont want to play" so fans can side with them when the CBA comes up.
This is what I believe. Owners always love to make the players look like the bad guys for many reasons. These players are investments for the owners. They want to maximize their potential and output. The regular season is already about 20 games too long. Every season in any sport is too long. Cut the number of games, get rid of back to backs and 3 in 4 days stretches and you'll see the quality of the product increase. These guys are competitive athletes. Most don't want to sit and watch. It's getting ridiculous you have no idea who will be playing for any team these days in any given game. Mavs vs Memphis last night was a nationally televised G league game. Now yes, there's some players out there who are content with sitting out as much as possible
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

It's spoken about openly by the players. I listen to a lot of podcasts and I've heard CJ, Draymond and JJ Reddick all discuss in detail what goes into it. There are actual numerical metrics that the training staff track. I think it was Draymond who was explaining it, saying the conversation is basically the receptor of one of the quad muscles isn't firing, and thus you have a 63% higher chance of reinjuring your knee so we're going to sit you tonight. It also sounds like there are exceptions - guys who just flat out overrule staff and coaches and have the kind of leeway, but it sounds like it's a very analytical process these days for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Scoot shut down for rest of g-league season. He should fit in perfectly in todays league - he missed 25 of 50 games with various injuries and load management.

From what I understand, he's starting to get chatter about not being #2.  He's not a great shooter, undersized, and to your point, injured.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

insane stat of the day:

The Boston Celtics when shooting 40% or more from three: 26-0

The Boston Celtics when shooting less than 40% form three: 21-22

Boston takes around 42 three point attempts per game, Golden State 43 attempts. Most guys can't see the floor these days unless they can help compete in the 3 point contest.

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Nuggets are dogshit in the month of March. They are gonna lose the#1 seed at this rate.

they’re up 4 games on a Ja-less Memphis with about 13 to go so the 1 seed is probably safe.

But yes Denver is not impressive at all and teams are rightfully hunting out and not respecting Jokic at all defensively.

A first round matchup between Denver and the Lakers would be very interesting.   

43 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

they’re up 4 games on a Ja-less Memphis with about 13 to go so the 1 seed is probably safe.

But yes Denver is not impressive at all and teams are rightfully hunting out and not respecting Jokic at all defensively.

A first round matchup between Denver and the Lakers would be very interesting.   

The team needs to get some rest and heal up.  If that means they lose the #1 seed, so be it.  Jok looks like he's running on fumes and Murray and Gordon are dinged up.