NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

48 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm so over the MVP debate. It's so stupid. It started in fucking November where after every single game people are talking about who has the best stats and who is the front runner. It's gotten straight up toxic. It would be awesome if whoever wins the award declines to accept it and all the front runners turn it down. Just leave it vacant. Shame on you, media.

Players get bonuses for it and there's that whole ego thing.  I'm getting old, load management, contract guarantees, random feuds.  Not feeling it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Players get bonuses for it and there's that whole ego thing.  I'm getting old, load management, contract guarantees, random feuds.  Not feeling it.

Yeah. I'm to the point where i'm like alright, if everyone wants to make guaranteed money and take a bunch of games off, have fun watching Jokic, who legitimately does play in almost every game, win all the MVPs.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm so over the MVP debate. It's so stupid. It started in fucking November where after every single game people are talking about who has the best stats and who is the front runner. It's gotten straight up toxic. It would be awesome if whoever wins the award declines to accept it and all the front runners turn it down. Just leave it vacant. Shame on you, media.
It also should be announced before the playoffs start.

27 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It also should be announced before the playoffs start.

Another strange and stupid bit. We spend all year doing this dumb shit, only for nobody to care anymore when the damn thing is handed out. Jokic accepted his from some barn in Serbia, lmao.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

Lol at Draymond intentionally starting shit then getting mad that the ref is calling a double T on him. 

Like these clowns want Phoenix in the first round anyway. 

And he got a flagrant on the same play hahaha. New Orleans is about to shit on these guys. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

So they're exceptionally average.

And here's to hoping it continues and the Hawks blow it all up in time to improve the trade for the Spurs.

Fuck Trae Young and the Hawks.  

Total screw job by the officials last night but it wouldn’t be the NBA if they weren’t actively fucking over the Cavs.

I can’t wait for the Cavs-Knicks playoff series!

Edited by Message Board User

Atlanta has been +/- one game from .500 for a couple of months now. It's oddest NBA streak I can remember.

WC Standings
                                           Remaining games
DEN (1)     51    24             NO, at PHX, GS, at HOU, at PHX, at UTA, SAC
MEM (2)     48    27            LAC, LAC, at CHI, Port, at NO, at MIL, at OKC
SAC (3)     45    30              at Port, at Port, SA, at NO, at DAL, GS, at DEN
PHO (4)     40    35             at UTA, MIN, DEN, at OKC, SA, DEN, at LAL, LAC
LAC (5)     40    36              at MEM, at MEM, at NO, LAL, Port, at PHX
GSW (6)     40    37            SA, at DEN, OKC, at SAC, at Port
MIN (7)     39    37             at PHX, LAL, Port, at Nets, at SA, NO
NOP (8)     38    38            at DEN, LAC, SAC, MEM, SAC, MEM, NYK, MIN
LAL (9)     37    38              at Chi, at Min, at Hou, at UTA, at LAC, PHX, UTA
OKC (10)     37    39           Det, at IND, PHX, at GS, at UTA, Mem
DAL (11)     37    39           at PHI, at MIA, at ATL, SAC, CHI, SA
UTA  (12)     35    40          at SA, at Bos, at Nets, LAL, OKC, Den, at LAL

Some things to watch:

1. If Denver, Memphis and Sacramento settle into their current slots (which appears likely), there are going to be some games down the stretch where teams are resting. Those b2b Clipper games at Memphis (with no PG13) will be big in that regard and will go a long way to determine whether SAC and Denver still have to go hard the rest of the way. Those two games are critical for the Clippers too, obviously.

2. Sacramento is almost certainly going to settle into the 3 seed. They take care of business in those back to back games at Portland and then beat the Spurs, the rest of the season is almost certainly meaningless for them (unless Memphis slides). Good news for NO, Dallas and GS who will get them late with nothing to play for. 

3. Phoenix has a tough path. They won't have an easy night the rest of the way (other than the Spurs). Same thing for NOLA. They may get a break with the possibility of Memphis and Sacramento resting, but otherwise they will be in dogfights each night.

4. Utah is doubtful to make the post season with their record and remaining schedule.

5. Dallas has 4 eastern conference teams left (plus SA and SAC) which seems like a really weird finish to the schedule. They won't get full game swings in the standings like most of the other teams. I don't know if that is good or bad for them. It probably doesn't make a shit with the way they are playing.

6. OKC probably has two gimme wins vs. Indiana and Detroit, but they could lose the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think PHX should give a shit about the rest of the regular season. They can't really fall out of the playoffs unless they go 0-fer, and seeding doesn't matter that much. I don't think they are worried about home court either. They just need KD, Book, and CP to be healthy rolling into round 2.

Dallas is just such a shitshow. I agree with the folks saying it's not Kyrie's fault, but the front office making that move made the defense worse without improving the long term outlook for the team. Their contract situation does give them a little flexibility in the offseason because they really only have like 5 guys under contract beyond next year. They could have Luka and Maxi and 10 new faces by the time 2025 starts. They'll probably do something stupid like max out Austin Reaves this summer after letting Wood and Irving walk for nothing.

52 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I don't think PHX should give a shit about the rest of the regular season. They can't really fall out of the playoffs unless they go 0-fer, and seeding doesn't matter that much. I don't think they are worried about home court either. They just need KD, Book, and CP to be healthy rolling into round 2.

I think teams will do everything they can to avoid the play-in. You're potentially getting into a one-game NCAA tourney style do or die situation in that case. 

48 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Heh. I watched my ballys feed last night and the wolves Reddit was non stop shitting on Doris

The feeling is mutual. She took a shot at the wolves local guys at one time (I’ve never heard a national anouncer do that) and then gargled the suns guys balls. It was weird. So, shots fired. 

17 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

16 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think teams will do everything they can to avoid the play-in. You're potentially getting into a one-game NCAA tourney style do or die situation in that case. 

They're 2.5 clear of the play in after last night. They'll almost assuredly be in the 4/5 series - they may as well snag home court. They may need it if it's the Ws. 

As much as Mitch would like Phoenix to miss the playoffs. 

The feeling is mutual. She took a shot at the wolves local guys at one time (I’ve never heard a national anouncer do that) and then gargled the suns guys balls. It was weird. So, shots fired. 

That’s what they were saying. I think the wolves have a pretty good well respected tv team but she was wetting herself over KD and Booker

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They're 2.5 clear of the play in after last night. They'll almost assuredly be in the 4/5 series - they may as well snag home court. They may need it if it's the Ws. 

As much as Mitch would like Phoenix to miss the playoffs. 

They for sure aren't missing the playoffs with KD back. They were a longshot to miss them, anyway. I thought he would be out longer. I think they're the favorites in the west. 

Not that anyone asked, but this how I see the west assuming each team is at 100% (Wiggins, AD, PG13, Zion, et. al.) come playoff time, which we know will not be the case:

The Cumsteen WC power rankings:
1. PHX
2. GS
3. DEN
4. LAL
5. LAC
6. MEM
7. NOP
8. SAC
9. MIN
10. OKC
11. UTA
12. DAL

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They for sure aren't missing the playoffs with KD back. They were a longshot to miss them, anyway. I thought he would be out longer. I think they're the favorites in the west. 

Not that anyone asked, but this how I see the west assuming each team is at 100% (Wiggins, AD, PG13, Zion, et. al.) come playoff time, which we know will not be the case:

1. PHX
2. GS
3. DEN
4. LAL
5. LAC
6. MEM
7. NOP
8. SAC
9. MIN
10. OKC
11. UTA
12. DAL

Yeah I'm just ribbing you. You've got that old school Spurs-fan Phoenix distaste and I know you don't like CP. 

(Factoring in health) I'd have that same top 3 in a tier but I like MEM better than the 2 LA teams - they've been playing good ball again and will have HCA. I think I'd have them 4th by themselves then another group that I might toss SAC into. As nice of a season as they've had SAC is lacking in playoff experience and they don't play any defense. I think they'll be a tough out at home but I can see them fading later in a series especially on the road. 

The Westbrook stuff with LAC is weirdly legit. I think it's the best he's played in years. His turnovers are obviously still too high but his scoring has been legit.

MIN is my dark horse. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Banchero will win ROY and he should because it's a full season award but Jalen Williams on OKC is a fucking baller.  If you compare their stats the last few months, they're on par with Williams being significantly more efficient.  Matchup nightmare, too.  You can make the case that Banchero is Orlando's #1 guy so he gets the best defender but Williams is just as good when SGA isn't in the lineup.  If there were a redraft, you'd have people making the case at Williams #1.  He'd be #2 at worst.

If that Chet dude is any good at all, they'd got a solid core 4 players.  Their big men are complete trash, though.  The main reason Giddey is getting so many rebounds is he's basically playing the 4.  Good rebounder, though, but if he's the best rebounder, that says a lot about the other bigs.

The Clips found a way to abuse people who don't bother guarding Westbrook. It's gonna be a hard drive and foul if he gets the ball, or someone shoots and he's crashing the offensive glass with nobody to box him out. They have also been letting him shoot the corner 3, which he actually isn't terrible at.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. PHX
2. GS
3. DEN
4. LAL
5. LAC
6. MEM
7. NOP
8. SAC
9. MIN
10. OKC
11. UTA
12. DAL

I'm not feeling the warriors or Lakers this year. I like the kings and Memphis more than you do. The Mavs are just shitting away year after year of a generational talent, as is their wont.

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm not feeling the warriors or Lakers this year. I like the kings and Memphis more than you do. The Mavs are just shitting away year after year of a generational talent, as is their wont.

I'm pretty huge on championship experience. And nobody has more of it than the Warriors and Lebron.

The W's need Wiggins back in the worst way, though. He levels up their defense and makes all the parts fit together. Klay is playing much better than last year and they got GP2 back. The only real piece they are missing from last season is Otto Porter, who I thought was tremendous for them in their run.  I would not want to face that team in a 7 game series.

As for the Lakers, what they pulled off at the trade deadline was borderline miraculous. They completely rebuilt their lineup with guys that actually fit and who can shoot and defend. They are 12-6 since then and that's with Lebron missing 13 of those games. I'd much rather take my chances against the no defense playing Kings or mentally unstable Memphis than either LA or GS.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. PHX
2. GS
3. DEN
4. LAL
5. LAC
6. MEM
7. NOP
8. SAC
9. MIN
10. OKC
11. UTA
12. DAL

The West is going to be insane. You can pretty easily talk me into 6 teams making it to the Finals with a little injury luck, discovering some semblance of a defense, and/or favorable matchups. Even, begrudgingly, the Clippers. You can also easier talk me into any of the Top 4 seeds losing in Round 1.

Other than Phoenix though, I feel like any of them will be a relatively easy (6 games or less) out for the East representative.