NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

This is the smart play, because it forces all of the 5-7 teams to play their guys for the next 2 games to maintain position. I think all 3 teams will win-out, and the Clippers will be the 5th seed in that case, which means KD won't have to face his scary former team and their scary fanbase. Crisis averted for the Suns!

This would mean that the Kings play the Warriors, which would be an interesting series. A healthy GS ought to win that series against a bunch of young guys with no playoffs experience.  A rematch with Memphis in the second round would be interesting too. 

52 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This is the smart play, because it forces all of the 5-7 teams to play their guys for the next 2 games to maintain position. I think all 3 teams will win-out, and the Clippers will be the 5th seed in that case, which means KD won't have to face his scary former team and their scary fanbase. Crisis averted for the Suns!

This would mean that the Kings play the Warriors, which would be an interesting series. A healthy GS ought to win that series against a bunch of young guys with no playoffs experience.  A rematch with Memphis in the second round would be interesting too. 

I think it has less to do with making 5-7 play than it does with KD and CP3 both being older with injury histories and there's no need for them to play in a game when the Suns are locked into the 4th seed regardless of outcome.

I haven't done all the math on the Warriors or Clippers or Lakers trying to angle for the 6th seed, but things could get interesting if Memphis loses to Milwaukee tonight. That would put the Kings in play for the #2 seed so they go hard against the Warriors later tonight, and it also makes the Griz/Thunder game on Sunday a battle between Memphis getting the 2 seed and OKC potentially making the play-in altogether, pending Dallas winning out (which they should). Also, it would be about the most Twolves thing ever for them to lose to the Spurs tomorrow in Austin but that final game between them and New Orleans on Sunday is likely the difference between having to win two games or just one to make the playoffs as well as home court in the second play-in game.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think it has less to do with making 5-7 play than it does with KD and CP3 both being older with injury histories and there's no need for them to play in a game when the Suns are locked into the 4th seed regardless of outcome.

I haven't done all the math on the Warriors or Clippers or Lakers trying to angle for the 6th seed, but things could get interesting if Memphis loses to Milwaukee tonight. That would put the Kings in play for the #2 seed so they go hard against the Warriors later tonight, and it also makes the Griz/Thunder game on Sunday a battle between Memphis getting the 2 seed and OKC potentially making the play-in altogether, pending Dallas winning out (which they should). Also, it would be about the most Twolves thing ever for them to lose to the Spurs tomorrow in Austin but that final game between them and New Orleans on Sunday is likely the difference between having to win two games or just one to make the playoffs as well as home court in the second play-in game.  

The Suns have been pretty much locked into the 4 seed for about a week now. They would have had to lose several games to drop past 5. They really haven't been in danger of dropping out of 4. I do like them gift wrapping a win to the Lakers tonight as it fucks with the Clippers and Warriors. It would have been even more effective if the Lakers beat the Clips the other night, but oh well.  Still is a horse race for 5-7 for 2 games, we'll see if anyone shits the bed. 

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I legitimately don't know if i would rather face the Warriors or Lakers if i'm the Kings. Both kinda have an aspect of championship pedigree, i know for the Lakers it was the bubble ring but having 2 top 10 players is always a good recipe for going far in the playoffs.

Is AD a top 10 player even when healthy right now? I'd probably have him on the outside of Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, KD, Tatum, Steph, Luka, Bron, Kawhi, Ja.

3 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Is AD a top 10 player even when healthy right now? I'd probably have him on the outside of Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, KD, Tatum, Steph, Luka, Bron, Kawhi, Ja.

AD for sure is. LeBron is the ?. I was thinking about replying to that but in actuality they're probably both in the bottom of the top 10 or 12. It's a completely reasonable statement imo. 

I mean I'd take AD over Ja and Bron with zero hesitation. Kawhi, Tatum and Luka depending on situation is debatable I think. 

Edited by ztejas

I can't imagine taking AD over Tatum right now but sure, the rest I'd agree is debatable. If I can only pick one to try and win a 7 game series with, me personally, I'm picking Bron over AD 10 times out of 10. I thought Nephew was the biggest question mark on my list, actually.

2 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I can't imagine taking AD over Tatum right now but sure, the rest I'd agree is debatable. If I can only pick one to try and win a 7 game series with, me personally, I'm picking Bron over AD 10 times out of 10. I thought Nephew was the biggest question mark on my list, actually.

Tatum pissed his pants in the Finals last year. Something is missing with him imo. 

AD was arguably the best player on that 2020 title team. He's a force on both ends when right. If I already have a guy that floor general like Garland, Jokic, Trae, Fox etc. then I take AD no question. 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:11 PM, ztejas said:

I think it's difficult to evaluate without knowing what is actually realistic with his frame and body type and all of the injuries he's had. It's possible that he has come close to maxing out his stamina at this point in his career. 

It seems like he could lose some weight and play lighter but that doesn't always make guys better players. I know that he's gotten a lot more serious about his fitness and I know that he has a really solid work ethic. I genuinely think he's doing almost everything he can to play the minutes he is - and that may include taking plays off. 

Extremely fair opinion. I wasn't really locked in but I watched the first half last night and I began to wonder if I wasn't having early season bias. I remember texting with friends earlier this year... He was def out of shape and laboring. He was a lot more active last night. Even so I guess my greater point is that some of these guys today are so just remarkably talented. Man they could be on Rushmore if they really cared about being great. I can't even fathom how good guys like Luka and Joel could be if they had MJ or Zeke or Magic's fire, or if they worked like Bron or Kobe or Giannis. 

Old Man yelling at clouds. I'm sure someone in 1997 said the same thing about Shaq. I was too busy drinking Beast Ice to notice. 

I am going to throw out there that I think people are sleeping on the Warriors a bit too much. With their top unit tonight they looked very much like a team that knew what they were doing defensively. Communication on point. Switches on point. It gets squirrelly when Poole gets in but GP2 is plug and play. We'll see how Wiggins acclimates but the Steph/Klay/Loon/Dray/GPII lineup was locked in and connected on the defensive end. I think the best two teams in the West are going to be Phoenix and GSW and I can't see anyone else being competitive with those two unless Podcast P is faking and comes back next week. 

Warriors definitely lucking out in the seedings. Clippers own the tie-breaker over the Lakers, but not the Pelicans, so they can't afford to lose without dropping into the play-in. Looking like they'll get Phoenix in round 1.

A SAC/GSW series may have every game end 132-128.

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

there's a difference in being made of glass (greg oden) and being so otherworldly with your size/speed combo that your body just can't take it (D Rose, Zion). your gift is your curse. that sucks for them, as basketball fans as well. 

The thing is, some of these aren't bad injuries.  I read where with this strained hammy, they thought he would only be out a few weeks.  Weeks turned into months and now it's been 4 months.  He was essentially out for the season because of a strained hamstring in early January.

He's kind of both glass and a size/speed that doesn't hold up.

Are we going to discuss Dallas tanking with a play in berth still possible? I mean it's almost certainly the best move for the franchise long term but it doesn't feel right. Also it feels like thumbing your nose at the basketball gods a bit. Shit, they will probably end up winning the lottery with infinitesimal odds for what's that worth, but it has a distinctive stench of loser mentality to it. I suppose it's a larger nba wide issue and definitely specific to their trade protections on the Knicks deal but I just can't imagine throwing in the towel like that when you've got even a tiny chance at getting in the tournament. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Are we going to discuss Dallas tanking with a play in berth still possible? I mean it's almost certainly the best move for the franchise long term but it doesn't feel right. Also it feels like thumbing your nose at the basketball gods a bit. Shit, they will probably end up winning the lottery with infinitesimal odds for what's that worth, but it has a distinctive stench of loser mentality to it. I suppose it's a larger nba wide issue and definitely specific to their trade protections on the Knicks deal but I just can't imagine throwing in the towel like that when you've got even a tiny chance at getting in the tournament. 

The fact that their first rounder is protected 1-10 probably played a large role in their decision to tank.  An extra win could have torpedoed any chance at a first or the slim chance at Wemby.  Without that 1-10 protection, I don't know if Dallas would have done what they did.

Of course:

Dallas should be ballsy and offer Luka this year for the #1 pick and take Victor.

In all seriousness, can they even pull this off?  The few teams with a bunch of draft picks won't make that deal and the teams with assets won't want to give up the assets Dallas will want.

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t know how a gambler could ever bet the last few games of the NBA season. So many different agendas. You have lottery tankers, playoff teams jockeying for seeds and playoff matchups, locked-in teams resting key players. Who the fuck knows?

• Haha 1

Slightly clearer than mud now in the West. Lakers (Utah) and Warriors (Por) will win tomorrow. So the outcome of Phx/LAC will determine who is the 5 and who is the 6. I guess?? I would expect Phoenix to sit everyone being locked in and thinking they would rather play PG-less Clippers than the Warriors? Clippers will have to play to win because Golden State and Lakers are playing at the same time and will be playing to win. Most likely in my mind Clippers 5 seed, Warriors 6, Lakers 7, Wolves 8, Pels 9

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Slightly clearer than mud now in the West. Lakers (Utah) and Warriors (Por) will win tomorrow. So the outcome of Phx/LAC will determine who is the 5 and who is the 6. I guess?? I would expect Phoenix to sit everyone being locked in and thinking they would rather play PG-less Clippers than the Warriors? Clippers will have to play to win because Golden State and Lakers are playing at the same time and will be playing to win. Most likely in my mind Clippers 5 seed, Warriors 6, Lakers 7, Wolves 8, Pels 9

Looks like the wheels are in motion. Phx has already listed the big four out, and Ty Lue said postgame everyone is playing. 

20 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Looks like the wheels are in motion. Phx has already listed the big four out, and Ty Lue said postgame everyone is playing. 

Yep, the Clippers' hands are tied. The Pelicans are playing at the same time tomorrow, and will be trying to win. If NO and GSW wins, and LAC loses, the Clippers are in the play-in. If they owned that tie-breaker, they'd be playing the ball boy tomorrow.

I don't think being in the play-in tournament should count as "making the playoffs." Make the 7/8 seed and that works, but 9/10 should not be considered playoffs.
The play in tournament is fucking stupid anyways. And is absolutely not the playoffs If you aren't in the top half of the league after 82 games, tough shit. But I'm sure they'll look to expand it was time goes on because money and ratings.

It isn't fair these 7 and 8 seeds have to play 9 and 10 seeds and exert all this energy just to even get to the real playoffs.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What a pisser this last weekend turned into. The summer league is more competitive. I guess the Minnesota / New Orleans game is for something but everything else is a foregone conclusion. Whatever. Bring on the play in. 

I like the Spurs getting a triple double from Tre Jones and shooting 53%/44% and losing by 20 points. 

And the Clippers hung a quiet 136 on the corpse of the Blazers franchise.