NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

Zion says he's healthy but will come back when he's damn well good and ready.
METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson said Tuesday that he is feeling fine physically and will return to the court "when I feel like Zion," acknowledging the mental hurdle of rejoining the team as it embarks on a postseason run.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36161945/pelicans-zion-williamson-feel-fine-physically-return-feel-zion
The "Stepson"

I bet if he was actually playing for that extension, Zion would feel like Zion.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Just have to laugh at the Wolves getting no FTs in the 2nd half until .1 left to go in the game. Hilarious officiating. Though Edwards laying a giant egg and then shitty all over himself multiple times didn't help at all. and why the fuck was the offense running through Kyle fucking Anderson in the 4Q?

There's a reason they didnt get any FTs

The Pelicans should have offered up Zion for Kevin Durant back a couple of months ago.  New Orleans would be sick with Durant. And they have a ton of picks to get more assets as needed.  And I bet Brooklyn would have rolled the dice and taken that deal.

Wonder if Minnesota would trade KAT for Zion.  Couple of underachievers who could use a change of scenery.  Did anyone really think that New Orleans with some of the best, most fattening food on the planet, would work out well for Zion?

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Aqua Buddha likes it when people talk about themselves in the third person.

conVINCEd wasn’t really feeling like conVINCEd this morning, so I’ve decided to take some time to get to a better place mentally.  My boss wasn’t thrilled with that decision. Unfortunately, my 5 year contract is not fully guaranteed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol I doubt Durant wanted to play in New Orleans. 

The KAT trade intrigues me. I'd probably need more in that deal if I'm Minny. 

I can't imagine any player would go there if better options.  The city isn't great for pro athletes.  If I owned them, I'd move the team to Nashville or Seattle.

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Man this game fucking sucks.

This is over. Where does Lavine/DeRozan rank in softest wing duo of all time? Surely they're top 5. 

Alright I overreacted.

Chicago has Caruso for two more seasons for $9M ea. That's one of the best contracts in the NBA. In 28 mins tonight he has 2 OREBs, 3 swipes, 4 blocks, 2 dimes and 9 points of 4/7 shooting. I mean he's legit a top 100 guy in the league. 

Curious to what the Raptors do at this point?  Do they blow it up and keep maybe Barnes?  Run it back for .500 again?  VanVleet has a player option.  

If I were OKC, I'd offer all the picks it took for Pascal.  They'd have Barnes, a shit load of picks and whoever they got for VanVleet in a sign and trade or something.

49 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

/Greenspoint

Hey I actually took Chicago. No worries chief.

20 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

I love me some hyperbole but DeRozan has been pretty clutch for years. Maybe a down year this year, but generally better than most.

Are you like 13 years old? 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

SGA is just something fucking else, man. 

I remember watching one of his games at UK and thinking "I like the way this guy moves".

I never would have guessed this progression for him. What a player. 

Someone said it best.  Trying to guard him is like trying to grab a fish with your hands.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

SGA is just something fucking else, man. 

I remember watching one of his games at UK and thinking "I like the way this guy moves".

I never would have guessed this progression for him. What a player. 

he put on a show against tennessee in the sec title game that made go, "whoa." i instantly became a big fan, but i never envisioned him as an all-nba, franchise player type. he just keeps on getting better.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he put on a show against tennessee in the sec title game that made go, "whoa." i instantly became a big fan, but i never envisioned him as an all-nba, franchise player type. he just keeps on getting better.

During the covid lockout, the teams basically didn't know what the players were doing.  When OKC reported back after however many months it was, SGA had put on muscle weight, improved his game, and was ready to play.  He's worked his ass off to go from a good player to a great player.  Very refreshing in the days of guys not wanting to play for whatever reason.

Also like the old school game.  Doesn't just jack up 3's.  Goes to the rim a lot with a lot of mid range jumpers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think OKC is a tad young for this one. 

Perhaps. But damn they have some good young pieces on that squad. I rarely see them play, but every time I do, I enjoy the game. They play a fun brand of ball. And 15-lol-1st round picks coming up. What a set up for future success. Now lets see if they fuck it up because......oklahoma

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Zion needs to think about checking in on my thread in the DT about my bariatric journey. 
holy fucking shit man- a 22 year old basketball athlete cannot look like that. 

His problem is that he doesn’t actually play basketball very often.  When he’s actually playing basketball, I’m sure he drops weight because he’s burning through a lot of calories, but when you’re “injured” 2/3 of the time, you ain’t burning those calories off.  So it’s an endless cycle of get hurt, gain weight, start playing again, lose some weight, get hurt again before you lose all of the bad weight, gain more weight while injured.  Also, gumbo, crawfish, poboys, and fried seafood baskets.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

His problem is that he doesn’t actually play basketball very often.  When he’s actually playing basketball, I’m sure he drops weight because he’s burning through a lot of calories, but when you’re “injured” 2/3 of the time, you ain’t burning those calories off.  So it’s an endless cycle of get hurt, gain weight, start playing again, lose some weight, get hurt again before you lose all of the bad weight, gain more weight while injured.  Also, gumbo, crawfish, poboys, and fried seafood baskets.

He missed the entire 2021-2022 season so to your point, the last game of the 21 season was on May 4th.  So, in almost two calendar years, he’s only played 29 games.

I thought the Pels looked like a legitimate contender at the beginning of the season when Zion was healthy. I think he, CJ and Ingram only played in about 10 total games together and they have a really nice collection of role players to surround them. The roster just makes sense to me and has good fit. I would have liked to see what they could do. Zion looked like an absolute force when he did play. It was almost comical to watch guys bounce off of him in the paint. He was getting to the rim whenever he wanted.

It's a shame that he can't stay healthy. But by the same token, if he was actually physically good to play last night then he should have at least given it a go. That is utter horseshit that he's in his own head and that he thinks he would negatively impact the team or be hesitant. Like, give it the old college try, bud. If he was bad or out of rhythm, then pull him. If he gives your team anything -- even an emotional lift for 5 minutes like Willis Reed -- then you are probably advancing to the next game. Actually, if Nance Jr and Alvarado play last night they probably advance, too. But If Zion gets re-injured, who cares? He's got six months to get healthy. It's not like he's coming off a fucking ruptured Achillles. He's got a bum hammy because he's too fat.

I hate to be the get off my lawn guy, but could you imagine someone like Jordan or Kobe or Bird saying, "You know, I'm going to sit this elimination game out even though I'm physically ready because I don't feel quite like myself." I honestly can't believe he let that message get out. What a horrible, horrible look. It's way too early to write off a 22 year old kid but he hasn't done shit to address his weight and he seems like a gaping vagina who is more interested in cashing checks than being an NBA star.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I was thinking about the time when I was around 25 and fucking around in the backyard trying to dunk. I came down and turned my ankle so bad that my foot was swollen about double the size. It was the most pain I’d ever been in. A few hours later my buddy calls about softball that night at Riverside. I make it over there somehow, it was crazy difficult to drive. I can’t tie my shoe, can barely walk. Then I proceeded to play centerfield and get a few hits.

Zion would have been out a full season or more. These dudes are just different and not in a good way.