NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

From what I can gather these are your All NBA teams

First - Mitchell Shai Tatum Giannis Joel

Second - Fox Luka JB Jimmy Joker

Third - Steph Dame Bron Lauri Sabonis

Looks pretty good I think. 

Did they remove the positions for this year, or does it kick in next year? 

Don't overlook the impact injuries had on Lonzo. I'm not a huge fan and you're almost certainly right that even at the time the evaluations were messed up, but seeing how he developed his jump shot and defense with his ball skills at 6'6" you can see what people in the draft were thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Don't overlook the impact injuries had on Lonzo. I'm not a huge fan and you're almost certainly right that even at the time the evaluations were messed up, but seeing how he developed his jump shot and defense with his ball skills at 6'6" you can see what people in the draft were thinking.

True.  I think I was going off of Fox eating his lunch twice.

Sad news, Cavs owner's son passed away.  

Nick Gilbert, familiar to NBA fans as the Cleveland Cavaliers' representative at the draft lottery, died Saturday from a genetic condition. He was 26.

The son of Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and wife Jennifer, Nick Gilbert had a lifelong battle with neurofibromatosis (NF1), which causes noncancerous tumors to grow on nerve pathways throughout the body.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37545971/nick-gilbert-son-cavaliers-owner-dan-gilbert-dies-26

• Like 1

Credit where credit is due: Jackson at least owned up to his mistake.

"One thing I live by, you make a mistake, you own it," Jackson said in an interview with SiriusXM NBA Radio's Justin Termine and Eddie Johnson. "Absolute mistake made by me... In thinking how did I make that mistake: you can tell I put one center, two forwards and two guards. So I wasn't even thinking.

"I apologize to the Denver Nuggets. I apologize to Nikola Jokic, who is not only in the MVP discussion and deserved to be on my ballot but he is one of the greatest players in the history of this game and a top-10 center of all-time. So I own it. If you want to take away my vote or do whatever, more than welcome. I made a mistake."

He should absolutely have his vote stripped. Those awards actually mean something in the CBA. It's not just some honor that you get a plaque for. There are huge dollars involved. Ja Morant not making all-nba is going to cost him $39 million. And Jaylen Brown is going to be eligible for a max deal because he was all NBA. Things are going to get more fucked now that they instituted the 68 game minimum. Guys are going to be eligible for max dollars that are undeserving. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/24/2023 at 10:38 PM, Baboontyme said:

From what I can gather these are your All NBA teams

First - Mitchell Shai Tatum Giannis Joel

Second - Fox Luka JB Jimmy Joker

Third - Steph Dame Bron Lauri Sabonis

Looks pretty good I think. 

Thought it was BS that Luka was first team over Mitchell. Randle over Markanen, I don't love. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He should absolutely have his vote stripped. Those awards actually mean something in the CBA. It's not just some honor that you get a plaque for. There are huge dollars involved. Ja Morant not making all-nba is going to cost him $39 million. And Jaylen Brown is going to be eligible for a max deal because he was all NBA. Things are going to get more fucked now that they instituted the 68 game minimum. Guys are going to be eligible for max dollars that are undeserving. 

Yeah the fact that he would either be that stupid or that malicious with his vote, makes me think he shouldn't have one. Too much at stake, as you said.

Finished looking over the new CBA. I’m not sure who wrote this, who is benefits or why anyone would agree to it.

It basically makes keeping teams together much harder, trades are now also much more difficult and complicated, free agency is going to be very weird in a bad way. It just doesn’t help anyone and makes many aspects significant worse for players and fans.

For owners, I also don’t see how it helps them put a better product on the floor. Many teams are going to end up with 3-4 guys with big contracts and 11-12 minimum guys.

Fucking strange

• Like 1

Coach can only be as good as the talent in front of him. They had zero chance with the way that roster is constructed

Coach is the fallout
But his rotations were terrible and had no real feel for the in game decisions. He's nothing more than an Avery Johnson. Who got canned shortly after blowing a 2-0 Finals lead like Monty.

Firing Monty was the pain free move. They had to do something. Getting rid of Paul or Ayton is going to require much more stomach. And he’s a shitty coach. Fine, he was hamstrung this year but he has been doing less with more since he was in New Orleans. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Finished looking over the new CBA. I’m not sure who wrote this, who is benefits or why anyone would agree to it.

It basically makes keeping teams together much harder, trades are now also much more difficult and complicated, free agency is going to be very weird in a bad way. It just doesn’t help anyone and makes many aspects significant worse for players and fans.

For owners, I also don’t see how it helps them put a better product on the floor. Many teams are going to end up with 3-4 guys with big contracts and 11-12 minimum guys.

Fucking strange

I have a much different take. The cba is going to spread the wealth more among the players. You should see a bigger middle class instead of what you describe especially with the increase to the exceptions. If the superstars want to truly compete they may just have to take a haircut off the super max, but even so the numbers are going to be so crazy that there should be plenty to go around. Mid tier players are going to see big jumps in salary. The all league stuff is going to be a disaster for the unintended consequences but teams like the warriors and clippers aren’t going to be able to spend their way out of responsible roster management any longer. Cap space will be more valuable than ever since getting out of bad contracts has real ramifications now on roster moves. I think we’re going to ultimately see more parity and smaller markets being better able to compete. No more of this super team bullshit.  

19 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

This should move into the suspended for the entire 2023-24 season territory now. That kid he beat up and threatened with a gun should get himself a good lawyer and sue the mess out of this horrific clownshow and his friends.

He did.  

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

edit: also, mega lol @ that ESPN PR puff piece. Man, that was really sincere and stuff.

Do you mean to tell me that rich, famous 23 year olds don't immediately change their behavior the first time they get caught?? But he seemed so sincere!

• Like 1