NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

"Austin Reaves is unstoppable"

laugh jordan GIF

When did SI become irrelevant? I guess not long after the Athletic took the torch. 

Let me introduce you to something called "the internet". Like Newsweek, Mad Magazine, and Highlights, SI couldn't change their business model and are now alive in name only. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Let me introduce you to something called "the internet". Like Newsweek, Mad Magazine, and Highlights, SI couldn't change their business model and are now alive in name only. 

Oh - I understand. I was asking that question genuinely - not rhetorically. I was wondering when SI was last still really good journalism. They've definitely not done great as an online publication. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They're dangerous in the way that a Grizzly bear lying on the ground bleeding out is still dangerous. 

I mean, they're more dangerous in a "no one wants to see them in the first round" way than any of Russ's teams were deserving of that narrative. Which is...something, I guess. They're one of the only teams in the West that I think can play real defense.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, they're more dangerous in a "no one wants to see them in the first round" way than any of Russ's teams were deserving of that narrative. Which is...something, I guess. They're one of the only teams in the West that I think can play real defense.

The trades they made did make them better- Russell, Hachimura, Vanderbilt, Beasley, etc- but health has been elusive.  The team the Lakers are now is much better than the LBJ/AD Lakers that started the season.  

Basketball is so impossible to predict nowadays. Milwaukee's been the best team in the league for a couple of months, welcoming Boston for a nationally televised game. You'd think they'd be up for it.

Nah, Boston is just going to make 55% of their 3's and lead by 40 in the 3rd quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

If the Lakers win the west, I’ll fist myself.

I'm just not sure how much gas LeBron has left in the tank. Them making the Finals requires he and AD to not slow down for two months straight. The only time they actually did that was when they were both 3 years younger and got 3 months off in the middle of a shortened season. 

Every team has ?s, though. Phoenix has these nights (like last night) where their supporting cast is just dogshit. Their bench was 6/25 last night with one made 3 and Ayton and CP went 6/20 on top of that. Booker and KD might be so good it doesn't matter but it seems like the role guys (including CP and Ayton) are going to cost them some games. 

Denver doesn't seem to have any consistency from their 2 and 3 guys (although it's been better as of late).

The Ws are old and have been horrendous on the road this season

SAC doesn't play a lick of defense and has no playoff experience.

LAC won't have PG.

Memphis is playing great but they seem a little volatile. 

Edited by ztejas

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

If the Lakers win the west, I’ll fist myself.

I mean, I'm probably put them at at least 20/1 against the field, but I'm not sure that I'd put any team in the West better than 10/1. Someone's gotta win in. Your butthole willing to take that 5% chance?

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36021263/raptors-nick-nurse-wants-see-where-season

If he's available the Mavs should immediately fire Kidd and sign him up. Since they hate draft picks anyway, trade for Nurse if they have to. The roster needs a total overhaul but so does the coaching staff. An occasional functioning out of bounds play in crunch time would have net them 2-5 more wins this season.

I like Denver out West, but they win based on their offense. They’re a cohesive unit though that has been together long enough to put together a run to the Finals. The rest of the conference is a crapshoot. I could see the Warriors putting together a run if they can all stay healthy. I’m happy for Mike Brown turning the Kings around because he’s a genuinely good guy. Other than that there’s no team that really stands out. I think Milwaukee gets another title this year which would be pretty cool. 

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m a fan of pau the player and person….but is he really a hall of famer or am I missing something

He won some stuff for Spain, and it’s not the NBA HOF, it’s the basketball HOF.  Christian Laettner is in.  It s the quirkiest of the HOFs.

He's absolutely a Hall of Famer. Actually, it was the Lakers' jersey retirement that felt weird to me. Any normal team, he'd obviously get his jersey retired for being the 2nd best player on two championship teams, but he doesn't feel like a Laker.

• Like 1

He's absolutely a Hall of Famer. Actually, it was the Lakers' jersey retirement that felt weird to me. Any normal team, he'd obviously get his jersey retired for being the 2nd best player on two championship teams, but he doesn't feel like a Laker.

This is what I’m having trouble with…I thought Marc had a better impact on Memphis than Pau did. Pau just got traded to an almost perfect situation playing next to Kobe and in the triangle offense. The rest is why it’s a little bit if a head scratcher for me

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

and it’s not the NBA HOF, it’s the basketball hall of fame.

Which wouldn't matter for Pau Gasol. 

He's close to 21k/11k/4k/2k pts/reb/ast/blk for his career. He was the 2nd best player on 3 Finals teams and won two titles. 

He's a fucking shoe in whether you include his international career or not. 

Here's the 20k/10k club.

Screenshot_20230401_220718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.70f99fa2baf930545920ddcc34e7e5e1.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is what I’m having trouble with…I thought Marc had a better impact on Memphis than Pau did. Pau just got traded to an almost perfect situation playing next to Kobe and in the triangle offense. The rest is why it’s a little bit if a head scratcher for me
Lakers since losing the Finals to Detroit in 2004 and Gasol arriving in 2008 hadn't won a playoff series. And were stuck in mud. After getting Gasol in that trade, they took off and went to 3 straight Finals. This wasn't KD going to the Warriors. Gasol was a big factor in them getting back to what they were with Kobe and Shaq. Not that dominant but close to it.

Also, no idea what the fuck Memphis was doing with that trade. Made no sense at all.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Dallas isn't even going to make the play in.  Jesus that team is a mess. Going to be a fun off season.  

I honestly don't know what they should do.  The Kyrie thing is easy.  Offer him a team friendly deal and let him walk if he doesn't take.  Sign and trade with big deal is another.  Luka?  I don't know.  Easy answer is to surround him with complimentary players but those types don't seem to want to play with him.  Blockbuster trade is another.  Find a team with assets and/or lots of draft picks, I guess.

But if you would have told me they wouldn't even make the generous win/loss % of the play in, I'd have thought you were insane.

10 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I’m sure it’s been brought up, but when  was the last time all 3 Texas teams have been in the lottery at the same time? I cannot remember the last time that happened. 

Never happened. There aren't even a ton of years where 2/3 missed the playoffs. 

Looks like only 8 seasons since 1980 where 2/3 missed vs. 7 seasons where all 3 made it.

So your radar was right. It's extremely atypical. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I honestly don't know what they should do.  The Kyrie thing is easy.  Offer him a team friendly deal and let him walk if he doesn't take.  Sign and trade with big deal is another.  Luka?  I don't know.  Easy answer is to surround him with complimentary players but those types don't seem to want to play with him.  Blockbuster trade is another.  Find a team with assets and/or lots of draft picks, I guess.

But if you would have told me they wouldn't even make the generous win/loss % of the play in, I'd have thought you were insane.

I think it's pretty obvious Kyrie will not be playing in Dallas next season. Yhe only way he gets the money and years he wants is to work a Sign and Trade. And well wouldn't ya know, the Lakers just acquired a whole bunch of decent/good role players that they could package to complete the trade and help Dallas in the process. If we don't see that happen again (Lakers trading all their depth for 1 questionable all-star) for the third time in the last 4 years, I'll be surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Kyrie sign and trade with who?

There are only a few options.

1. Lakers. It would have to be Beasley, Bamba and Rui.
2. Suns. CP3 would have to be included

That’s about it. He doesn’t fit anywhere else. The wildcard perhaps is the wolves with a straight up for Gobert.

Clippers could also try to shop PG13 for Kyrie.

Miami could maybe put a package together to try and get Jimmy a ring, but they would probably have to include either Bam or Herro, neither of which seems likely.

Sixers? I've read speculation that Harden is eyeing the exits there, so they might be willing to make a play for his replacement.

Could Portland go nuts and try to pair him with Dame? I can't think of two less complementary players but they've got to do something.

• Haha 1