NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Things that I just realized tonight: Russell Westbrook has a signature 3-point celebration. Because of course he does.

I think that's great. Celebrations should be reserved for rare events lest they become cheap and meaningless. Imagine Steph shimmying after every 3 ball splashes through. Would that seem fun? Of course not. But Russ blindly throwing darts at the board and randomly hitting the bullseye is cause celebre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lakers had a must win game against Houston for playoff eligibility and Davis didn't even play.  Hurt again.  Lakers lost.

Next CBA will be fascinating.  There will be a ton of money but a lot of these guys just don't want to play.  Owners are gonna dig in.

It's hard for me to know with Davis if he's pushing back or if his body is just so fucked at this point that he really can't play that many games. That said, how about this Kyrie quote:

Screenshot_20230316_072810_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f3ed1f5786ed42864eb7b016f730bb01.jpg

I'm not sure the proposed fix of having minimums for end of season awards really addresses the issue. How many guys care enough about stuff like that? And there's only 15-20 players that that would even affect each season between MVP, all-nba, all-defense and SMOTY. 

The Mavs/Spurs game last night was a fucking abomination. Both team's two best players were out and the over under for legitimate injuries between the four of them might be 0.5.

The fact that it's permeated the entire league from teams trying to make the playoffs to tanking teams that are intentionally trying to lose games seems to me like a bigger issue than people think. It's slowly turning the regular season into a charade. Two of the top three MVP candidates are on pace to miss more games than almost every MVP winner in league history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

You guys still hold Pop in high regard or do you now realize he had a stacked roster for years?

Pop himself has said that he's nothing without TD. That said, no duh you need a roster with multiple top players to win a championship in most years. Easier said than done and Pop is most certainly one of the best ever.

Is Kerr that great of a coach, or just a stacked roster? Phil Jackson? Pat Riley? All coached multiple hall of famers. It's absurd to question their coaching acumen.

Edited by Pam Cummings

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pop himself has said that he's nothing without TD. That said, no duh you need a roster with multiple top players to win a championship in most years. Easier said than done and Pop is most certainly one of the best ever.

Is Kerr that great of a coach, or just a stacked roster? Phil Jackson? Pat Riley? All coached multiple hall of famers. It's absurd to question their coaching acumen.

You're right.  Best to wait for a season where they're actually trying.  

Pop is a great coach, obviously. One of the best of all time. The worst/funniest thing about Pop was his holier than thou response on tanking last spring. "It’s just not who we are. It’s not who I am. I can’t operate like that." Bitch your entire hall of fame career was set up by tanking in 96-97, and now he's at it again. Personally I think it's totally justifiable to tank once every three decades in hopes of snagging a generational talent, but at least have some self-awareness.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Bitch your entire hall of fame career was set up by tanking in 96-97

That Spurs team was legitimately bad. They didn't have to intentionally lose games. Bob Hill started 3-15 before Pop took over. DRob played 6 games. Sean Elliot missed half the season. The best players were a 37 year old Dominique who didn't play a lick of defense, Avery Johnson and Will Perdue. Not much of a tanking effort to lose 60 games with those cats. 

This is the first season that Pop has really intentionally lost as many games as possible. There were plenty of Spurs fans that thought we should have tried to lose more games than we did last season. So maybe he's a hypocrite or maybe he changed his mind after watching enough Wenbanyama highlights. Either way, he's the winngest coach in NBA history. He can do and say whatever he wants. 

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Pop is a great coach, obviously. One of the best of all time. The worst/funniest thing about Pop was his holier than thou response on tanking last spring. "It’s just not who we are. It’s not who I am. I can’t operate like that." Bitch your entire hall of fame career was set up by tanking in 96-97, and now he's at it again. Personally I think it's totally justifiable to tank once every three decades in hopes of snagging a generational talent, but at least have some self-awareness.  

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That Spurs team was legitimately bad. They didn't have to intentionally lose games. Bob Hill started 3-15 before Pop took over. DRob played 6 games. Sean Elliot missed half the season. The best players were a 37 year old Dominique who didn't play a lick of defense, Avery Johnson and Will Perdue. Not much of a tanking effort to lose 60 games with those cats. 

This is the first season that Pop has really intentionally lost as many games as possible. There were plenty of Spurs fans that thought we should have tried to lose more games than we did last season. So maybe he's a hypocrite or maybe he changed his mind after watching enough Wenbanyama highlights. Either way, he's the winngest coach in NBA history. He can do and say whatever he wants. 

it sure looked like he was trying to win against us last night.  

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

You guys still hold Pop in high regard or do you now realize he had a stacked roster for years?

When you put it that way we should probably also just go ahead and ignore all of the coaches and front office guys who came up under him and the culture he installed that about 75% of the league has tried to replicate. He just had stacked assistants as well I guess? Clearly he's just a no talent scrub who lucked into Tim Duncan and then coasted the rest of the way through his otherwise pedestrian career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's hard for me to know with Davis if he's pushing back or if his body is just so fucked at this point that he really can't play that many games. That said, how about this Kyrie quote:

Screenshot_20230316_072810_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f3ed1f5786ed42864eb7b016f730bb01.jpg

I'm not sure the proposed fix of having minimums for end of season awards really addresses the issue. How many guys care enough about stuff like that? And there's only 15-20 players that that would even affect each season between MVP, all-nba, all-defense and SMOTY. 

The Mavs/Spurs game last night was a fucking abomination. Both team's two best players were out and the over under for legitimate injuries between the four of them might be 0.5.

The fact that it's permeated the entire league from teams trying to make the playoffs to tanking teams that are intentionally trying to lose games seems to me like a bigger issue than people think. It's slowly turning the regular season into a charade. Two of the top three MVP candidates are on pace to miss more games than almost every MVP winner in league history. 

I think everyone understands teams tanking but what I don't understand is when wins start to matter, stars just don't want to play.  I thought the Lakers beating Houston was an easy win but then I checked the score mid way through the game and my first thought was "Davis isn't playing."  

I'm not sure what the solution to guys just not giving a shit.  Kyrie wants $50M per year or something but then you have that quote above.  If Dallas gives him a big contract, they deserve whatever they get.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When you put it that way we should probably also just go ahead and ignore all of the coaches and front office guys who came up under him and the culture he installed that about 75% of the league has tried to replicate. He just had stacked assistants as well I guess? Clearly he's just a no talent scrub who lucked into Tim Duncan and then coasted the rest of the way through his otherwise pedestrian career. 

I heard Pop once downplay his own ability by saying the biggest thing he ever did was draft Tim Duncan and while that's true to some degree, you don't have the prolonged level of winning like that without being great.  People would say it's easy to win with Kobe/Jordan/Duncan/etc. but in each case, there was a coach that didn't.

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

True.  The team did a 720 the moment he fired Bob hill.  Stand corrected.

I've probably said this a dozen times over the years, but I always compare Pop/Duncan to Belichick/Brady.

Both Duncan and Brady would have been individually great wherever they ended up--with probably a title or two along the way--but they wound it in the perfect culture to maximize their greatness.

Meanwhile, Pop and Belichick's "team first, no drawing attention to yourself, buttoned up, take less money, respect the process" philosophies probably would have crashed and burned decades ago if they didn't luck into two superstar leaders that completely bought in.

• Like 2

I hate these in general. They're always so contrived and rehearsed. Wear nice clothes, take blame, vow that it's not who you are, and it won't happen again. All so Mr. Talking Head can say, "Well, he seemed contrite. Let's give him a chance."

I don't know what the alternative is, but it's all so played.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Kyrie wants $50M per year or something but then you have that quote above.

The Office Thank You GIF

It's ridiculous. He's apparently unwilling to push his body to its physical limits in his athletic prime (which is his fucking job) for tens of millions of dollars a year. All while receiving the best medical attention in human history. And I know it's Kyrie but it's not like he's some outlier when it comes to this. There's a growing laundry list. 

I have sympathy for NFL players because it's a brutal game and it can really fuck you up mentally. I don't have sympathy for an NBA player making that much money just because their knees might suck when they're in their 50s or their elbow might never feel the same. You don't want to have lingering injuries after you retire? Get a 9 to 5 like the rest of us. Or go be a coach or media personality. 

That said - I still think the solution is to play less games. But the woe-is-me I don't want my ankle to be sore when I'm 45 couldn't be more out of touch. That's what you signed up for, amigo. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I hate these in general. They're always so contrived and rehearsed. Wear nice clothes, take blame, vow that it's not who you are, and it won't happen again. All so Mr. Talking Head can say, "Well, he seemed contrite. Let's give him a chance."

I don't know what the alternative is, but it's all so played.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I hate the “it’s not who I am” answer people give when they get caught.

It is who you are. You did it. You have to change.

I hope he does change because he has such tremendous ability and is a joy to watch play.

Same.  Its such a cynical way to look at it now but its been proven to warrant that now.   All canned responses.    

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

The nets should play hardball with Simmons. Tell him to take a buyout or just sit at home until the contract runs out. If he stays home for 3 years, his career (lol) is done.

It's done already.  There needs to be some consequences here.  He's not injured, he's just refusing to play at this point.  The Nets should be able to cut him without paying him, however that works.

The best move in the past few years was Philly getting rid of him and it doesn't matter how the other end of that trade works out.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's done already.  There needs to be some consequences here.  He's not injured, he's just refusing to play at this point.  The Nets should be able to cut him without paying him, however that works.

The best move in the past few years was Philly getting rid of him and it doesn't matter how the other end of that trade works out.  

When has he been refusing to play.   Jacque Vaughan said he was out of the rotation last week.

6 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Wiggins rumors are wild. Really hope it's not true for Wiggins sake. No link but the rumor is that he found out she was cheating with his friend and one of his daughters is not in fact his.

I mean...that's way better than a sick kid, which is about the only other acceptable justification for a 5 week (and counting) absence. 

On 3/15/2023 at 11:09 PM, aggie08 said:

Things that I just realized tonight: Russell Westbrook has a signature 3-point celebration. Because of course he does.

I too celebrate enthusiastically when I manage to accomplish something I'll only pull off once or twice in a given year

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Had no idea Brunson was this hood.  Thought he was a guy who did well because of luka not in spite of

With a 38% usage rate, there’s not much else to go around.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.6d908d21eef1e22bdaa9bb2728dbf58e.jpg

Hey, it’s one of those cars that refuses to drive for half the year.

• Haha 3