NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

56 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Fucking Presti hit a grand slam at pick 12 with Jalen Williams. He’s unbelievable. Getting a lot of love ROY even though Paolo will probably win.

Yep.  Jalen Williams was one of my draft crushes and an excellent pick by Presti.

Just an unbelievably bright future for that franchise especially considering the treasure trove of picks over the next 5 years or so.

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I know we all love The Nephew here.  Clippers down one with 20 seconds left.  Dort locks down The Nephew, who doesn't even get off a shot:

Maybe if he spent more than three months of the year on a basketball court, the nephew would've looked more natural and less clumsy there.

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Yep.  Jalen Williams was one of my draft crushes and an excellent pick by Presti.

Just an unbelievably bright future for that franchise especially considering the treasure trove of picks over the next 5 years or so.

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

4 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Fucking Presti hit a grand slam at pick 12 with Jalen Williams. He’s unbelievable. Getting a lot of love ROY even though Paolo will probably win.

The irony to that Jalen Williams pick was they wouldn't have gotten him at #12 except that Paul George got covid and had to miss the play in game, which they lost.  (The Nephew, of course, wasn't playing.)  Bill Simmons or someone quoted a GM not involved in that trade and said it would go down as the most lopsided in history but the Clippers had to do it and would do it again.  They already have SGA and Williams and that's not counting the future draft picks.  The unprotected first in 2026 looks tasty.

That's even with Chet not playing, which everyone seems to think he'll be really good if he stays healthy.  

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Speaking of PG13…yikes.

Wow.  “Re-evaluated” ar that.  Basically the rest of the season.  They’re the 5 seed right now but there is only two games between them and #10.  Throw in a few games that The Nephew won’t play and they might end up in either the play in or out altogether.

The Clippers schedule down the stretch is brutal, too. Every team left is in the playoff / play-in hunt other than Portland. 

74    Thu, Mar 23, 2023    10:30p                Oklahoma City Thunder                                
75    Sat, Mar 25, 2023    10:30p                New Orleans Pelicans                                
76    Mon, Mar 27, 2023    10:30p                Chicago Bulls                                
77    Wed, Mar 29, 2023    8:00p            @    Memphis Grizzlies                                
78    Fri, Mar 31, 2023    8:00p            @    Memphis Grizzlies                                
79    Sat, Apr 1, 2023    8:30p            @    New Orleans Pelicans                                
80    Wed, Apr 5, 2023    10:00p                Los Angeles Lakers                                
81    Sat, Apr 8, 2023    4:00p                Portland Trail Blazers                                
82    Sun, Apr 9, 2023    3:30p            @    Phoenix Suns

And I've said this before about that Clippers/Thunder trade, but it looks worse on paper for the Clips than it actually is because it also essentially netted them Kawhi. Still, they've got jack shit to show for it so far and OKC is set up well for the future. The Thunder are going to need some things to break just right for them to really maximize those picks but they've got multiple shots to be drafting in the lottery while still competing. At some point, though, they just aren't going to have the roster space or enough development minutes to keep cycling in rookies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Incredible to have the Harden trade and losing KD on your resume and yet still be viewed as the best or one of the best GMs in the league. Guy has a crazy ability to spot talent (or at least an ability to hire the right people to do so). 

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Clippers schedule down the stretch is brutal, too. Every team left is in the playoff / play-in hunt other than Portland. 

74    Thu, Mar 23, 2023    10:30p                Oklahoma City Thunder                                
75    Sat, Mar 25, 2023    10:30p                New Orleans Pelicans                                
76    Mon, Mar 27, 2023    10:30p                Chicago Bulls                                
77    Wed, Mar 29, 2023    8:00p            @    Memphis Grizzlies                                
78    Fri, Mar 31, 2023    8:00p            @    Memphis Grizzlies                                
79    Sat, Apr 1, 2023    8:30p            @    New Orleans Pelicans                                
80    Wed, Apr 5, 2023    10:00p                Los Angeles Lakers                                
81    Sat, Apr 8, 2023    4:00p                Portland Trail Blazers                                
82    Sun, Apr 9, 2023    3:30p            @    Phoenix Suns

And I've said this before about that Clippers/Thunder trade, but it looks worse on paper for the Clips than it actually is because it also essentially netted them Kawhi. Still, they've got jack shit to show for it so far and OKC is set up well for the future. The Thunder are going to need some things to break just right for them to really maximize those picks but they've got multiple shots to be drafting in the lottery while still competing. At some point, though, they just aren't going to have the roster space or enough development minutes to keep cycling in rookies. 

Yeah, they have more picks than roster spots and I suspect they’ll trade some of them.  A lot have various levels of protections, too.  The 2026 unprotected Clipper pick might be gold.

I do agree on the trade, though.  It got them both and Ballmer believed he could just buy FA’s later instead of draft picks and he could be right.

12 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Incredible to have the Harden trade and losing KD on your resume and yet still be viewed as the best or one of the best GMs in the league. Guy has a crazy ability to spot talent (or at least an ability to hire the right people to do so). 

Great GM, terrible owner. They had a great team, but wouldn't pay the tax to keep it together. As they shipped off pieces, they made the most of what they could.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Luka is awesome.

...he's also borderline unwatchable the way he lives in the refs' ear.

Between him, Embiid, Giannis and SGA the top 5 scorers list is full of foul-baiters. Luka is definitely the worst offender in terms of complaining about everything, though. 

I blame Harden for this trend. 

I don't know if i've ever seen a miscommunication between refs and team worse than what happened to the Mavs last night. But upon rewatch, the ref clearly points and says that the possession belonged to the Warriors, then quickly pointed towards the Mavs bench to indicate their timeout.

Are the Mavs dumbasses for not realizing the Warriors had possession and were clearly about to inbound the ball for an easy layup? Should the refs have waited for the Mavs to be on the same page before just handing the ball to the Warriors? Maybe a little of both?

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't know if i've ever seen a miscommunication between refs and team worse than what happened to the Mavs last night. But upon rewatch, the ref clearly points and says that the possession belonged to the Warriors, then quickly pointed towards the Mavs bench to indicate their timeout.

Are the Mavs dumbasses for not realizing the Warriors had possession and were clearly about to inbound the ball for an easy layup? Should the refs have waited for the Mavs to be on the same page before just handing the ball to the Warriors? Maybe a little of both?

It really looks like the Mavs came out of the time out and got mixed up on which basket was theirs.  They had no one going over to inbound so I don't buy they thought it was their ball.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It really looks like the Mavs came out of the time out and got mixed up on which basket was theirs.  They had no one going over to inbound so I don't buy they thought it was their ball.

In any event it doesn't help to change my opinion that Jason Kidd isn't a good coach.

Edited by Pam Cummings

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Golden State-Phoenix in Round 1?  I’ll take it.

No gracias.

If KD is healthy (he will be) and Wiggins hasn't been fully integrated back into the rotation, that could be a gentleman's sweep. Not that anyone in the league can stop KD, but no one on the Warriors roster can even make him work except Wiggins.

If every team below Phoenix wasn't flirting with the play-in, I think you'd see some final week jockeying to avoid them. 

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No gracias.

If KD is healthy (he will be) and Wiggins hasn't been fully integrated back into the rotation, that could be a gentleman's sweep. Not that anyone in the league can stop KD, but no one on the Warriors roster can even make him work except Wiggins.

If every team below Phoenix wasn't flirting with the play-in, I think you'd see some final week jockeying to avoid them. 

I don't think it's crazy to think you could steal the 4. 

Either way - y'all don't want to play PHO - I'm sure PHO doesn't want to open with y'all. That series could go 6 or 7. 

The one thing that might give me pause is that Booker was playing like peak Frobe next to KD. Stopping KD is one thing - keeping Booker in check is just as hard. 

The western conference is just stupid right now. 3 game difference between HCA in the first round and the lottery, 

West           W    L
DEN (1)      49    24
MEM (2)     45    27
SAC (3)       43    29
PHO (4)      38    34
LAC (5)       38    35
GSW (6)      38    36
MIN (7)       37    37
OKC (8)       36    36
DAL (9)        36    37
LAL (10)       36    37
UTA (11)       35    37
NOP (12)      35   37

Here is the strength of schedule remaining for the 9 teams duking it out.

Rank     OPP win %  # Games LEFT  
3    Utah  .549    10    
5    Phoenix .538    10
7    New Orleans .527    10
8    LA Clippers .518    9    
12    Golden State .517    8
13    Minnesota .483    8   
21    LA Lakers .468    9    
27    Oklahoma City .459   10 
28    Dallas .458    9    

Anybody want to guess how this all shakes out?

There's a decent argument to make that Phoenix won't even make the playoffs if they don't get KD back. They've lost 5 out of their last 6. CP looks completely washed. Ayton is out but should be back soon, I guess. They gave up all their depth in the Brooklyn trade. And this is how they finish: 

73    Fri, Mar 24, 2023    10:00p            @    Sacramento Kings                                
74    Sat, Mar 25, 2023    10:00p                Philadelphia 76ers                                
75    Mon, Mar 27, 2023    9:00p            @    Utah Jazz                                
76    Wed, Mar 29, 2023    10:00p                Minnesota Timberwolves                                
77    Fri, Mar 31, 2023    10:30p                Denver Nuggets                                
78    Sun, Apr 2, 2023    7:00p            @    Oklahoma City Thunder                                
79    Tue, Apr 4, 2023    10:00p                San Antonio Spurs                                
80    Thu, Apr 6, 2023    10:00p                Denver Nuggets                                
81    Fri, Apr 7, 2023    10:30p            @    Los Angeles Lakers                                
82    Sun, Apr 9, 2023    3:30p                Los Angeles Clippers

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not really sure, maybe.  He bombed in Milwaukee right?  Although they were young as well.

he doesn't call TOs when the other team goes on runs and encourages players to play their way out of the slump.  doesn't play young players if they don't know where their defensive rotations are.  has the george foreman approach of set it and forget it to lineup creation.  doesn't take responsibility for what happens on the floor and pins it on his players because he expects them to know what to do.  but players love him.

there are merits to his methods, they just don't work for a young team with no veteran leadership.  he's not a good foundation-building coach.  i do think he's a coach who can take an older team on the cusp to the next level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

KAT looked pretty good last night after missing 52 games. Scored the game winning FTs and Minnesotas tall ball line up was pretty cool with Kyle Anderson, Jaden Mcdaniels, Rudy, Kat and tayshaun prince.

No idea how Atlanta kept it down to the wire…felt like MN should’ve had a 10 point lead at all times

51 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

KAT looked pretty good last night after missing 52 games. Scored the game winning FTs and Minnesotas tall ball line up was pretty cool with Kyle Anderson, Jaden Mcdaniels, Rudy, Kat and tayshaun prince.

No idea how Atlanta kept it down to the wire…felt like MN should’ve had a 10 point lead at all times

Tayshaun prince?  I haven’t heard that name in years

Lakers shot 46 free throws last night. 

I saw a similar post a few days back about how their expected free throw attempts is something like +6 per game and the next closest team was +3.

And I'm not sure which Lakers players are supposed to be especially proficient at drawing fouls. 

From a comment. This is insane. +11 per game since February.

The below might have something to do with it.

– Lakers FTAs before 1/29/23 - 1270 over 50 games (25.4 FTAs/game)

– Lakers Opp. FTAs before 1/29/23 - 1122 over 50 games (22.4 FTAs/game)

– Lakers FTAs since 1/29/23 (post-Lebron meltdown during Celtics game) - 671 FTAs over 23 games (29.1 FTAs/game)

– Lakers Opp. FTAs since 1/29/23 - 432 FTAs over 23 games (18.7 FTAs/game)

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The western conference is just stupid right now. 3 game difference between HCA in the first round and the lottery, 

West           W    L
DEN (1)      49    24
MEM (2)     45    27
SAC (3)       43    29
PHO (4)      38    34
LAC (5)       38    35
GSW (6)      38    36
MIN (7)       37    37
OKC (8)       36    36
DAL (9)        36    37
LAL (10)       36    37
UTA (11)       35    37
NOP (12)      35   37

Here is the strength of schedule remaining for the 9 teams duking it out.

Rank     OPP win %  # Games LEFT  
3    Utah  .549    10    
5    Phoenix .538    10
7    New Orleans .527    10
8    LA Clippers .518    9    
12    Golden State .517    8
13    Minnesota .483    8   
21    LA Lakers .468    9    
27    Oklahoma City .459   10 
28    Dallas .458    9    

Anybody want to guess how this all shakes out?

There's a decent argument to make that Phoenix won't even make the playoffs if they don't get KD back. They've lost 5 out of their last 6. CP looks completely washed. Ayton is out but should be back soon, I guess. They gave up all their depth in the Brooklyn trade. And this is how they finish: 

73    Fri, Mar 24, 2023    10:00p            @    Sacramento Kings                                
74    Sat, Mar 25, 2023    10:00p                Philadelphia 76ers                                
75    Mon, Mar 27, 2023    9:00p            @    Utah Jazz                                
76    Wed, Mar 29, 2023    10:00p                Minnesota Timberwolves                                
77    Fri, Mar 31, 2023    10:30p                Denver Nuggets                                
78    Sun, Apr 2, 2023    7:00p            @    Oklahoma City Thunder                                
79    Tue, Apr 4, 2023    10:00p                San Antonio Spurs                                
80    Thu, Apr 6, 2023    10:00p                Denver Nuggets                                
81    Fri, Apr 7, 2023    10:30p            @    Los Angeles Lakers                                
82    Sun, Apr 9, 2023    3:30p                Los Angeles Clippers

Also, those 5-10 seeds are all teams that none of those top 4 want to play.  You think the Clippers want to play GS even with PG?  Hell no.  I'd take GS and easily if PG isn't there.  Dallas is a defensive liability all around but they'd still have the two best players on the court.  I don't think OKC wins a series but they'd be a complete pain in the ass to put away.  A fully healthy Lakers might win a series.  Minnesota hasn't played well but with everyone healthy, they're not getting swept.  Even with NO, there's talk of Zion coming back.  (We'll see.)  If he plays anywhere close to how he was playing before he went out, they could win.  I could easily see two higher seeds losing in the first round.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I saw a similar post a few days back about how their expected free throw attempts is something like +6 per game and the next closest team was +3.

And I'm not sure which Lakers players are supposed to be especially proficient at drawing fouls. 

– Lakers FTAs since 1/29/23 (post-Lebron meltdown during Celtics game) - 671 FTAs over 23 games (29.1 FTAs/game)

Austin Reaves is such a matchup nightmare with his length and physicality that teams have no choice but to foul him (13 FTs last night).

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, those 5-10 seeds are all teams that none of those top 4 want to play.  You think the Clippers want to play GS even with PG?  Hell no.  I'd take GS and easily if PG isn't there.  Dallas is a defensive liability all around but they'd still have the two best players on the court.  I don't think OKC wins a series but they'd be a complete pain in the ass to put away.  A fully healthy Lakers might win a series.  Minnesota hasn't played well but with everyone healthy, they're not getting swept.  Even with NO, there's talk of Zion coming back.  (We'll see.)  If he plays anywhere close to how he was playing before he went out, they could win.  I could easily see two higher seeds losing in the first round.

NOLA ain't making no damn playoffs. Of the other teams I think Minny and Dallas are who you'd want - the qualification being if Kyrie and Luka are fully healthy and engaged then I'd rather play OKC. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, ztejas said:

That's the only thing that concerns me with the Nuggets potentially playing the Lakers in the first round.  Lakers get all the calls to a disgusting degree.  It's like you're playing 2 opponents at the same time.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Perk having beef with KD is so fucking pathetic. His friendship with KD kept him in the league getting paid multiple years longer than his talent deserved.

And by the time he got to OKC, he was borderline awful.  He was solid for about one season but he always had zero offensive skills.  He'd get the ball 5 feet from the rim and teams still wouldn't guard him.

Had he been born maybe five years later, he'd be in today's era and he likely wouldn't make any roster at all.

With Simmons probably out for the rest of the year, it will secure his record of averaging one 3 pointer per season played. 5 seasons, five 3 pointers made.

The sharp shooting Dwight Howard made 8 his last season with the Lakers.

I put this record up there with Russ’s triple double record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1