NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

36 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

No they are just legitimately bad.

One of the low key bad trades in recent memory is the Vucevic trade.  What a disaster that trade has been for the Bulls.  They still suck and they gave up Wendell Carter and a pair of lightly protected first round picks…the first of which turned into Franz Wagner (who is terrific) and the second will be a top 10 pick this year.

And as a result of picking up Vucevic, the Bulls got rid of Lauri Markannen (now an All star) for virtually nothing.

Just a really bleak picture for the Bulls’ future - a single tear runs down my cheek…ha.

This. And I was probably one of the few who really liked Vucevic and thought he was a really nice player. He was just old and getting older (while on the Magic) and you could see the writing on the wall.

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The irony is Donavan left OKC for Chicago because he didn't want a rebuild but now OKC is better than Chicago with significantly more long term upside.

While true, he left when the franchise still wanted to do at least two more seasons of shameless tanking.

I followed Mitch’s lead and did some research on this Elsa Jean character. 

internet quagmire GIF

Man, the Spurs sure have attracted some assholes lately. And by assholes I mean people of low character, not Miss Jean’s asshole which I’m sure could fit most of the Spurs players at the same time. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I guess it's defense. I watch them a lot but usually casually on a side TV. They have 3 pretty decent players in Vuc, LaVine and Deebo. I'm not sure why they suck. Getting Lonzo back would help. Also got screwed on the Giannis props. 

I think they are like 7th in defense. They miss Lonzo  a lot. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, SilasCoade said:

If love gets bought out where does he end up? I'm assuming reunion with LeBron but Phoenix and Dallas both are intriguing.

ESPN reporting likely Heat or Sixers. Not sure I like the fit with either or that he's a difference maker for either. Boston should cut Blake and sign him.

2 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

ESPN reporting likely Heat or Sixers. Not sure I like the fit with either or that he's a difference maker for either. Boston should cut Blake and sign him.

If Love goes anywhere besides Denver, Phoenix, Milwaukee or Boston, then leaving the Cavs was pointless. He was supposed to go to a "contender"

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

What real contender is saying, man, we could really use Kevin Love to bolster our rotation? Who's he getting legit postseason minutes with?

I don't know that that's the right question. I think the question is, what end of the bench big on a contender is better than vet minimum Love in the playoff run? For instance, not Blake Griffin. Probably not Landale for PHX. Not Morris for the Mavs. 

We're talking about teams looking to shore up the margins not the core.

Edited by SilasCoade

5 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I don't know that that's the right question. I think the question is, what end of the bench big on a contender is better than vet minimum Love in the playoff run? For instance, not Blake Griffin. Probably not Landale for PHX. Not Morris for the Mavs. 

We're talking about teams looking to shore up the margins not the core.

That's fair. He can buy you a few minutes of floor spacing for the 2nd unit. But he'll have a Ryan Anderson-sized target on his back anytime he's out there in a close playoff game.

The Clips needed a me first, inefficient 3 point shooter that doesn't play a lot of defense. Good move.

Lebron drafted Kyrie first among the All star starters. The recruiting has begun. 

Not sure what would make me throw up more as a Mavs fan- giving a 4 year max to a 6'2 guy that only shows up to work 50% of the time or trading assets for Kyrie and him walking for nothing 4 months later. Wouldn't bother him one bit to fuck over Dallas.

• Like 1

The same people complaining about the all star game are the same ones who just cite ringzzzz and only care about who won the championship. If ringzzzz are all that matter then congratulations, you've created a culture where people don't give a shit about the regular season, let alone the all star game. This Jordan and Brady ringzzzzz bullshit has completely taken the fun out of all the other stuff because the athletes gear their whole schedule and health around being their best for the playoffs. Which is fine. But i just don't see the point in bitching about it when "count the ringzzzzzzzz" is literally what the media and most fans have emphasized the most importance on.

Not much question NBA stars forcing their way to big cities surrounded by other stars usually helps their legacy long term even if it hurts their brand in the short term. A lot of NBA fans don't even care what city their favorite player is on they root for the name on the back. Considering like six teams even have a chance most years I guess it makes some sense.

Then again Dirk playing 20 years in Dallas and building a special relationship with one cities fans will always be why he's my all time favorite athlete. Is interesting the international players tend to be way more loyal so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The Clips needed a me first, inefficient 3 point shooter that doesn't play a lot of defense. Good move.

Lebron drafted Kyrie first among the All star starters. The recruiting has begun. 

Not sure what would make me throw up more as a Mavs fan- giving a 4 year max to a 6'2 guy that only shows up to work 50% of the time or trading assets for Kyrie and him walking for nothing 4 months later. Wouldn't bother him one bit to fuck over Dallas.

wouldn't he need a trade or a massive pay cut to go to the Lakers as a FA?

Michael Jordan still played 82 games like 9 times which is becoming more uncommon among todays stars. The sitting has become an epidemic.

Can you imagine trying to buy Clippers tickets in advance? Have to pretty much buy NBA tickets the week of now as I don't want to pay good money to watch role players.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I think at one point Russ has been the worst defender, most turnover prone and worst long range shooter in the league.  Impressive.

23 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The same people complaining about the all star game are the same ones who just cite ringzzzz and only care about who won the championship. If ringzzzz are all that matter then congratulations, you've created a culture where people don't give a shit about the regular season, let alone the all star game. This Jordan and Brady ringzzzzz bullshit has completely taken the fun out of all the other stuff because the athletes gear their whole schedule and health around being their best for the playoffs. Which is fine. But i just don't see the point in bitching about it when "count the ringzzzzzzzz" is literally what the media and most fans have emphasized the most importance on.

Meh, I'm not only about rings but that ASG was disgusting.   I dont want playoff defense or hell even reg season defense but SOME defense is too much to ask??? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Michael Jordan still played 82 games like 9 times which is becoming more uncommon among todays stars. The sitting has become an epidemic.

Can you imagine trying to buy Clippers tickets in advance? Have to pretty much buy NBA tickets the week of now as I don't want to pay good money to watch role players.

Load management, in most cases, is not player driven.   Teams want fans to think that so they can side with management when the next work stoppage comes about.   Just like the whole concept of making player salaries public info.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

The thing with load management is that it doesn't seem to do much as far as preventing injuries. I understand for older players, but it's not right for these younger guys to be load managing. And if you're gonna do it, do it at home, where your own fans will have plenty of chances to see their hometown star players. Doing it on the road is a pretty big middle finger to the fans in my humblest of opinions.

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The thing with load management is that it doesn't seem to do much as far as preventing injuries. I understand for older players, but it's not right for these younger guys to be load managing. And if you're gonna do it, do it at home, where your own fans will have plenty of chances to see their hometown star players. Doing it on the road is a pretty big middle finger to the fans in my humblest of opinions.

Yeah... that ain't happening. It's a lot better to give someone else's fans the middle finger instead of giving it to your own season ticket holders. Imagine somewhere like Golden State where the ticket prices are the highest in the league and you sit Curry and Klay so that your fans can have the Anthony Lamb experience instead. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

People who can't shoot have no place in the game anymore. They just completely kill the spacing on offense. You simply don't have to guard them. It's 4 on 5.

That's the other thing that a commentator mentioned.  His man was sagging so it was 4 on 5.  Sorry Russ apologists, triple double be damned he is a liability out there.  Also was a horrible defender and turnover machine for much of career.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Load management, in most cases, is not player driven.   Teams want fans to think that so they can side with management when the next work stoppage comes about.   Just like the whole concept of making player salaries public info.

You would think the Clips would want Kawhi to play in more than 40 games.

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You would think the Clips would want Kawhi to play in more than 40 games.

Exactly why I said "in most cases"   His case is an outlier, though the Clips knew this going in and still agreed to sign him.