Game Week- Kansas State

Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A few team notes from IT:

Hide contents

Sark also mentioned the staff used the bye week to re-assess schemes that were and weren't working. That checks out as we hear the coaches brought back some older stuff and are also instituting some newer things.

Inside Texas caught up some sources to get the absolute latest on the team ahead of the upcoming game versus Kansas State. 

Steve Sarkisian says it’s too early to make a call on Ryan Watts or Anthony Cook, but “I think both guys are making good progress for us right now. All of the guys that were banged up, I think we’re moving in the right direction for everybody.”

IT sources: Neither Watts nor Cook practiced today but will be evaluated later in the week. There’s a chance both will play, there’s a chance both will miss. In Watts’ case, hamstrings are finicky. With Cook’s injury, the decision whether he plays or not could depend on what a doctor said. He’s only a week out from having surgery on his forearm.

Steve Sarkisian says he’s preparing for both Adrian Martinez and Will Howard — “We have to.” — Credits Martinez’s running ability and Howard’s ability to push the ball down the field. — “They could both be healthy and they both could play.”

IT sources: Sources indicate indifference to who starts and acknowledges they have to be ready for both. Source mentioned the same think Sark did about the potential for them to run Martinez out there to help get the run game going. The source also reminded that Howard busted a long run against Texas last season.

Steve Sarkisian: “I think that we’ve played good football. I think we’ve got a team that’s committed for this final month of the season, but we have to be cautious not to look down the road. We’ve got to focus on this game and we’ve got to handle our business this week, and it’s going to be a heck of a game.”

IT sources: The team knows they have to win out to play in the conference championship but that doesn’t mean they’re looking ahead. Kansas State has their attention. Sources reiterated they have experience and a couple of dangerous playmakers.

Steve Sarkisian said a lot of younger players “we may be counting on here in the final month of this regular season” were able to get reps during the bye week practices.

IT sources: This lines up with what we said last week. The coaches used the three practices to evaluate the younger players to see who could be in line for more playing time. Edge Jaray Bledsoe was mentioned by both Sark and a source. What’s the difference with the ultra-talented freshman? “His mentality is changing. Playing faster, playing more aggressive. He just needs to stay the course.”

Steve Sarkisian said he was very encouraged by the “spark” in practice on Monday, even said the “speed of practice was better.” Felt like there was a lot of energy and intent from the team.

IT sources: Sark is pretty candid about practices. They were re-energized. It was a good practice. They needed the bye week.

IT followed up with a source to discuss the inconsistency in games, particularly second halves on the road. The response, “They know they’re struggling to finish but I don’t think it boils down to one aspect. If it did, it would be easier to address. They take each opponent seriously and don’t let up effort-wise. There is some frustration because they don’t just think they should win, but they should be putting teams away and running it up.”

It was mentioned to the source, when the defense plays well the offense doesn’t and vice versa. “Yep, not complementary football. It’s hard to explain.”

Indeed it is, but the upcoming game in Manhattan gives the team a chance to mute the narrative against the No. 13 team in the country.

I am so tired of the term “complimentary football”. Just do you fucking job for 4Qs and he don’t have to hear this shit. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am so tired of the term “complimentary football”. Just do you fucking job for 4Qs and he don’t have to hear this shit. 

All 3 phases need to play well for 4 Qtrs.  Too many mistakes -- damn fuckin' undisciplined bunch of dumbasses.

No more excuses !!!

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, if you do your job for 4 quarters then the football being played is probably complementary. 

That is the whole point. You only need complimentary football, when one side is playing like shit. Texas has 2 road games and they scored 34 pts in both. They are 0-2, because the defense gave up 78 total pts. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

That is the whole point. You only need complimentary football, when one side is playing like shit. Texas has 2 road games and they scored 34 pts in both. They are 0-2, because the defense gave up 78 total pts. 

Come on man, you know that it goes deeper than just combining to give up 78 points and scoring 34. The offense went into a shell in both games.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Come on man, you know that it goes deeper than just combining to give up 78 points and scoring 34. The offense went into a shell in both games.

The defense play 1 good quarter in OSU game. The offense could do more, but the numbers are the numbers. It isn’t complimentary to ask the offense to score 40 pts a game on the road to have a shot to win 

34 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Pretty sure it’s complementary* football guys. 
And the whole point is helping the other side of the ball with your play. If the offense is hot, get them the ball back. If the defense is struggling/hurt, possess the ball, shorten the game. 

It’s generally an excuse. Complementary football is only talked about, when one side is struggling. Defense is giving up 39 pts a game on the road. That is just bad. The offense can do more, but let’s be honest about the play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Wouldn't call it an excuse. But I'm sure it can be used as one from time to time.

Coaches and players from HS to the pros talk about it all the time these days.

Texas in DKR is averaging 34.8 pts on offense and 18.2 allowed (4-1)

Texas in true road games is averaging 34.0 pts and 39.0 allowed (0-2)

If you take out the non-P5 games Texas is averaging 27.0 pts at home and 20.33 allowed (2-1)

Time of Possession at DKR is 45.99% and 47.20% on the road. (not sure how OU game is treated here)

I am going out on the limb and say that it isnt because of complementary football. The offense is scoring more pts vs the P5 on the road (flat using all games). The defense is giving up almost double the pts vs P5 teams. 

(Didnt include OU at a neutral site)

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

How about we play more than 2 road games before we start talking about averages, good and bad.

Texas is only giving up an average of 27.5 points to OU the last 2 matchups!

Come on, Texas only plays a total of 4 true road games this year. I am only using 3 Home games. It is not like their is one outlier in the road games. It was 37 to Tech led by their 3rd string QB and 41 to OSU with a banged up Sanders. Perhaps the defense turns it around, but we have all seen the performances on the road. No need to pretend otherwise. 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:47 PM, Skipper said:

This is most difficult game on our schedule IMO which is why blowing both Tech and OSU was so frustrating.  Going to have to play A game to win.  

This is the most difficult game on the schedule? Not next week’s game against the #7 team that beat this team and the one UT just lost to?  
OK. 

43 minutes ago, nnm said:

This is the most difficult game on the schedule? Not next week’s game against the #7 team that beat this team and the one UT just lost to?  
OK. 

Yes, I absolutely think KSU on the road is a tougher game than TCU at home.   TCU won both OSU/KSU at home (huge comeback against OSU to force OT and was in a dogfight with KSU until they had to turn to their 3rd string QB and thereafter couldn't do anything offensively).  TCU is a good team but if we were playing them this Saturday I'm confident we would be favored by more than 2 (or whatever the current line is with KSU).  FWIW - I think we should be 2-3 point dogs against KSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

IMO TCU more dangerous, KSU a better overall team. 

In theory, KSU is a better match up for the defense. They are much more comfortable stopping the run. TCU is a bad match-up for the defense. KSU is a much better defense though and on the road. KSU is the #7 defense in the country according FEI. I think this is the tougher of the 2 games, mostly because it is on the road. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

OK. 

If it makes you feel any better, we are likely losing to both. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

OK. 

Given the context of how this team plays on the road as opposed to at home? Yes. I think that’s a fair statement.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But what if we had the two Baylor transfer OL? Then are we winning both?

Baylor has taken in some really good transfer o-linemen. Players that are effective. Somehow, in your convoluted & angry brain, you have twisted a football program improving its offensive line into what you think is a put down. Those Baylor transfer offensive linemen have more Big 12 conference titles than every Texas player combined for the last decade.

55 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Baylor has taken in some really good transfer o-linemen. Players that are effective. Somehow, in your convoluted & angry brain, you have twisted a football program improving its offensive line into what you think is a put down. Those Baylor transfer offensive linemen have more Big 12 conference titles than every Texas player combined for the last decade.

You are the weirdest poster here, and it isn't even close

3 hours ago, Gandalfish said:

There isn't much game week chatter. Feeling down, Longhorn Nation?

It's only Tuesday and we have World Series baseball for the next 3 nights. 
Fans are coming off a bye week bender, need to recover for game day bender.

• Like 1

I mean idk what is going on but it seems like after tech everyone stopped giving a shit. Then people were starting to be interested around Oklahoma state again and now people are just fucking checked out. 

Even Twitter and reddit are super quiet its not that surly is particularly slow. The traffic patterns are very similar to the off-season right now and it's fucking weird. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean idk what is going on but it seems like after tech everyone stopped giving a shit. Then people were starting to be interested around Oklahoma state again and now people are just fucking checked out. 

Even Twitter and reddit are super quiet its not that surly is particularly slow. The traffic patterns are very similar to the off-season right now and it's fucking weird. 

I think we have just been ground down man. You can only get up so many times and then kicked in the balls. Arent we going on 13-14 years of this roller coaster ride of dysfunction. 

I will still cheer for the Horns and put up all my decorations and shit every game, but man it's been a struggle after Tech and O. state. I still have hope and love the fight in some of our players. I just want nice things...like what Tennesse has this year

Another point is, whichever side you take, there's more vitriol and anger against your position. You just say fuck it, and not post.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

It’s November and we’re unranked. Gets old man.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

We’re fucked personnel/coaching wise on defense. The offense isn’t good or consistent enough to carry the team, I’m hoping for 7-5 at this point. 
If we win this week, people will get a bit more interested, but most people I talk to expect TCU to take us to the woodshed. If we lose both KSU and TCU, bad vibes will permeate and decommitments will be impending.

• Rage+1 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, Hookem2147 said:

A few team notes from IT:

Hide contents

Sark also mentioned the staff used the bye week to re-assess schemes that were and weren't working. That checks out as we hear the coaches brought back some older stuff and are also instituting some newer things.

Inside Texas caught up some sources to get the absolute latest on the team ahead of the upcoming game versus Kansas State. 

Steve Sarkisian says it’s too early to make a call on Ryan Watts or Anthony Cook, but “I think both guys are making good progress for us right now. All of the guys that were banged up, I think we’re moving in the right direction for everybody.”

IT sources: Neither Watts nor Cook practiced today but will be evaluated later in the week. There’s a chance both will play, there’s a chance both will miss. In Watts’ case, hamstrings are finicky. With Cook’s injury, the decision whether he plays or not could depend on what a doctor said. He’s only a week out from having surgery on his forearm.

Steve Sarkisian says he’s preparing for both Adrian Martinez and Will Howard — “We have to.” — Credits Martinez’s running ability and Howard’s ability to push the ball down the field. — “They could both be healthy and they both could play.”

IT sources: Sources indicate indifference to who starts and acknowledges they have to be ready for both. Source mentioned the same think Sark did about the potential for them to run Martinez out there to help get the run game going. The source also reminded that Howard busted a long run against Texas last season.

Steve Sarkisian: “I think that we’ve played good football. I think we’ve got a team that’s committed for this final month of the season, but we have to be cautious not to look down the road. We’ve got to focus on this game and we’ve got to handle our business this week, and it’s going to be a heck of a game.”

IT sources: The team knows they have to win out to play in the conference championship but that doesn’t mean they’re looking ahead. Kansas State has their attention. Sources reiterated they have experience and a couple of dangerous playmakers.

Steve Sarkisian said a lot of younger players “we may be counting on here in the final month of this regular season” were able to get reps during the bye week practices.

IT sources: This lines up with what we said last week. The coaches used the three practices to evaluate the younger players to see who could be in line for more playing time. Edge Jaray Bledsoe was mentioned by both Sark and a source. What’s the difference with the ultra-talented freshman? “His mentality is changing. Playing faster, playing more aggressive. He just needs to stay the course.”

Steve Sarkisian said he was very encouraged by the “spark” in practice on Monday, even said the “speed of practice was better.” Felt like there was a lot of energy and intent from the team.

IT sources: Sark is pretty candid about practices. They were re-energized. It was a good practice. They needed the bye week.

IT followed up with a source to discuss the inconsistency in games, particularly second halves on the road. The response, “They know they’re struggling to finish but I don’t think it boils down to one aspect. If it did, it would be easier to address. They take each opponent seriously and don’t let up effort-wise. There is some frustration because they don’t just think they should win, but they should be putting teams away and running it up.”

It was mentioned to the source, when the defense plays well the offense doesn’t and vice versa. “Yep, not complementary football. It’s hard to explain.”

Indeed it is, but the upcoming game in Manhattan gives the team a chance to mute the narrative against the No. 13 team in the country.

this one just annoys me

Myself and quite a few others commented on how he just looked different, when he was in late vs ULM. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

this one just annoys me

Myself and quite a few others commented on how he just looked different, when he was in late vs ULM. 

The guy played 6 snaps (just checked) against ULM's backups in the garbage of all garbage time. I understand he looked good but that doesn't mean he's ready to go out and play regularly. He was one of the more raw recruits in the 2022 class.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Scattershooting thoughts:

>After watching the inconsistency and lack of discipline in several games, it's just hard to put a lot of faith in this team for 2022.  And yeah they are young and slowly getting better, but the player mistakes and lack of coaching adjustments just SUCK !!!

The players/coaches just keep shooting themselves in the foot every time they have a chance to become a good team.  And yeah, when Quinn got hurt and Bijan fumbled it really hurt this team for 2022.  But good teams learn how to overcome adversity and find ways to win close games -- so far this year we have not done that yet.

---------------------------------------------

>Think about all the damn issues in Texas games against:

• utsa
  • tech
  • west virginia
  • iowa state
  • okie lite

And the win against blOU doesn't mean a lot if you don't follow it up by getting better each week and winning more games.

So until...

1. the amt of mistakes/gm are reduced
  2. more big plays/gm are made
  3. better 2nd half execution improves
  4. we play 4qtrs well in one game
  5. we win at least 3 games in a row

this current team is just a work-in-process.

--------------------------------------------

>It's easy to lose games when you don't put your opponent away when you have the chance -- Texas should have done that vs tech and okie lite but didn't.  We haven't learned how to dominate any games against fuckin' B12 teams who had their starting QBs playing -- HELL we've even lost to a back-up QB this year.

We aren't a good team until we win more games.

---------------------------------------------

>I realize PATIENCE is important right now as this team and roster hopefully keep improving.  But Sark needs to get his head out of his ass about how to fix this damn defense thru whatever means necessary (recruiting, coaching staff, scheme, development, strength & conditioning)

There yah go with some banter Immamac 😋

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy played 6 snaps (just checked) against ULM's backups in the garbage of all garbage time. I understand he looked good but that doesn't mean he's ready to go out and play regularly. He was one of the more raw recruits in the 2022 class.

It was his athleticism. They had him on the edge. Do you think the edge play has been so good this year, that it would not have helped to try and get some PT for the younger players. I dont have the figures, but I would guess the rotation at Edge has been one of the shallowest on the defense. I did not say he needed to play regularly, but finding some plays through out the season could have made a difference in his ability to be ready now. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ovie hasn’t been good enough to warrant his number of snaps. Maybe they don’t trust the young guys against the run, but you’d think they’d get sprinkled in a bit more by now. We’re probably better off getting another DB or LB (Blackwell, Crawford) on the field instead of Ovie. As long as Crawford isn’t playing deep, he can’t burn us THAT badly from a mental error

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1