Game Week- Kansas State

Wulaw Horn

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

tenor-143214633.gif.16ececf05b9672dda3862f984a349b13.gif

Ok... I'll agree somewhat on your gif.

I remember being so frustrated with the Texas defense in that game because we struggled to get off the field several times.

Time of Possession:  Wva 32min  Texas 28

78plays    to only 60 plays for UT

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Ovie hasn’t been good enough to warrant his number of snaps. Maybe they don’t trust the young guys against the run, but you’d think they’d get sprinkled in a bit more by now. We’re probably better off getting another DB or LB (Blackwell, Crawford) on the field instead of Ovie. As long as Crawford isn’t playing deep, he can’t burn us THAT badly from a mental error

They sprinkled in some more 3 down stuff against OSU, which took Ovie off the field and replaced him with Blackwell.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ok... I'll agree somewhat on your gif.

I remember being so frustrated with the Texas defense in that game because we struggled to get off the field several times.

Time of Possession:  Wva 32min  Texas 28

It was 38-14 with 5 minutes to go in the game before WVU scored a garbage TD. It was never in doubt. We led 35-7 early 3rd quarter.

Could mean nothing, could mean something or could just be shitty luck, but someone pointed it out and I hadn't noticed it until now.

In all 3 losses this year we had a significant injury in game that were unable to recover from: Bama (Ewers), Tech (Worthy) and OSU (Cook and Watts). All 3 severely hindered the side of the ball they were on.

Maybe that goes back to adjusting on the fly, I don't know. But just thought it was interesting.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Could mean nothing, could mean something or could just be shitty luck, but someone pointed it out and I hadn't noticed it until now.

In all 3 losses this year we had a significant injury in game that were unable to recover from: Bama (Ewers), Tech (Worthy) and OSU (Cook and Watts). All 3 severely hindered the side of the ball they were on.

Maybe that goes back to adjusting on the fly, I don't know. But just thought it was interesting.

We lack quality depth at all those positions, and elsewhere. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I mean idk what is going on but it seems like after tech everyone stopped giving a shit. Then people were starting to be interested around Oklahoma state again and now people are just fucking checked out. 

Even Twitter and reddit are super quiet its not that surly is particularly slow. The traffic patterns are very similar to the off-season right now and it's fucking weird. 

I keep on logging on expecting there to be way more discussion about the games and there really isn't. I was surprised how little discussion there was before or after Iowa St. The board blew up after OU and then went silent. Most of the fans I know have already checked out.

I'm hoping we can somehow make something happen in the next two weeks. I'm considering going to the Kansas game because the tickets are cheap and I have a friend from UT who lives near KC. If we drop the next two, I probably will not go. I will still come up for the Baylor game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

WVU had TD drives of 18 and 14 plays when they were already down 35-7 in the second half. Inflated their play total and TOP.

Drives that were aided in large part by the zebras.  IIRC, 6 of our 7 penalties were incurred in Q4.  That includes a phantom roughing the passer on Sweat.

15 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Drives that were aided in large part by the zebras.  IIRC, 6 of our 7 penalties were incurred in Q4.  That includes a phantom roughing the passer on Sweat.

West Virginia was the best Big 12 defensive performance of the year for Texas (Bama being #1). That was the difference in that game. WV is averaging 29.2 pts in Big 12 play. Holding them to 20 was good football. (It was also the offenses worst relative performance 38 pts vs 44.4 WV is averaging in conference play).. Throwing out the OU game, because OU was just a mess

Edited by Codaxx

44 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We lack quality depth at all those positions, and elsewhere. 

Exactly this. The biggest OMG for me this year is that in junk time our third (maybe 4th) string LB started for us last year. That's how little depth we have with truly talented players, and why injuries set us back. It's also why I'm OK with coaches using time to evaluate younger players. We gotta create depth, which more than anything takes time, several recruiting cycles, and players to mature. I really think Sark is doing everything he can to win this year, but I also think he realizes this is a multi year process. The question is are fans, and the administration, willing to wait. I do think we are a different, and better, team this year, and if recruiting continues as it seems, we will build that depth and get where we want to be. My sunshine pumping post for the day. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Exactly this. The biggest OMG for me this year is that in junk time our third (maybe 4th) string LB started for us last year. That's how little depth we have with truly talented players, and why injuries set us back. It's also why I'm OK with coaches using time to evaluate younger players. We gotta create depth, which more than anything takes time, several recruiting cycles, and players to mature. I really think Sark is doing everything he can to win this year, but I also think he realizes this is a multi year process. The question is are fans, and the administration, willing to wait. I do think we are a different, and better, team this year, and if recruiting continues as it seems, we will build that depth and get where we want to be. My sunshine pumping post for the day. 

My glass half full post of the day: there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to our defensive substitutions, but that means a lot of guys are getting meaningful snaps when the game is still undecided.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's a multi-year process sure, but it also has to actually be fruitful. We need impact players at DE and at LB. We got young guys, but are any of them sure-fire talents? Are we sure that 2 years from now we'll be able to say "LB is shored up now and so is DE and now we got everything we need to field a complete defense." He's got to hit while recruiting, otherwise his multi-year process will be a waste of time. We've missed out on some big-time state DL and LB prospects in the past few years. That can't continue. If we keep taking shots on 3 stars and portal re-treads Sark will really have his work cut out for him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

I mean idk what is going on but it seems like after tech everyone stopped giving a shit. Then people were starting to be interested around Oklahoma state again and now people are just fucking checked out. 

Even Twitter and reddit are super quiet its not that surly is particularly slow. The traffic patterns are very similar to the off-season right now and it's fucking weird. 

Road game blues... Many don't expect a Texas win

Family member said, "My Give-a-Shit's Broke"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Any word on if our opponents were dealing with any injuries?

You might be on to something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Road game blues... Many don't expect a Texas win

Family member said, "My Give-a-Shit's Broke"

Texas has 2 true road games this year and the defense has been terrible in both (Tech was vs the 3rd string QB).

Tech averages 24.6 pts in Big 12 play, gave up 37 (+50%)

OSU averages 31.6 pts in Big 12 play, gave up 41 (+30%)

Both those teams rely heavily on short passing game and Texas did nothing to stop that. Good news is KSU is run first and with Howard they push the ball downfield. Hopefully, the defense has a solid outing vs a team that should be a better match-up stylistically. We shall see. Texas will need a strong defensive performance to win this game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, immamac said:

I just don’t care anymore.  The inability to improve has my fucks low. It’s literally the same shit no lessons learned and everyone can truly predict during the game what’s gonna happen if we can see it here coaches in the other team can see it.  I honestly log on now to read the aggy flat circle thread and to see which recruits we are gonna get that aren’t gonna do shit here anyway 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think a lot of us expect to lose out. Go 6-6 or 5-7 because that’s what has happened for years. We want this team to change our mind but then there goes tech and ok state. Same ole same. This team def has the talent to win out but we don’t expect it. We are battered man. We will still watch and cheer and gripe. Are we getting the Ewers who can hit anything with his eyes closed or the one who can’t even hit ‘em to save his life. Are we getting the worthy who tries or not. Are we bringing the run game the second half? We all know what the defense is.

Then recruiting is boring at the moment because we locked up most of them before the season so not much to see there. The only news is, some recruits may leave if we keep losing or some may leave regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas has 2 true road games this year and the defense has been terrible in both (Tech was vs the 3rd string QB).

Tech averages 24.6 pts in Big 12 play, gave up 37 (+50%)

OSU averages 31.6 pts in Big 12 play, gave up 41 (+30%)

Both those teams rely heavily on short passing game and Texas did nothing to stop that. Good news is KSU is run first and with Howard they push the ball downfield. Hopefully, the defense has a solid outing vs a team that should be a better match-up stylistically. We shall see. Texas will need a strong defensive performance to win this game. 

A team that pushes the ball downfield, versus these PI-prone corners? Yikes. Puckering up in prep for Saturday. Lots of shitty deep balls gonna be flying, with no intent to actually catch them, just trying to catch a shitty CB getting handsy and not playing the ball. 

18 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

A team that pushes the ball downfield, versus these PI-prone corners? Yikes. Puckering up in prep for Saturday. Lots of shitty deep balls gonna be flying, with no intent to actually catch them, just trying to catch a shitty CB getting handsy and not playing the ball. 

They aren't really PI prone, we were getting hosed for PI in the OkSt game. 3 calls that shouldn't have been. Watts has been the most common offender otherwise, but not crazy there either.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Good news is KSU is run first and with Howard they push the ball downfield. Hopefully, the defense has a solid outing vs a team that should be a better match-up stylistically. We shall see. Texas will need a strong defensive performance to win this game. 

In Texas Homer video, they said Martinez sucks throwing deep but in intermediate range passing (10-19yds),  he holds the #1 completion percentage in the B12.  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

In Texas Homer video, they said Martinez sucks throwing deep but in intermediate range passing (10-19yds),  he holds the #1 completion percentage in the B12. .  

I was talking Howard. They seem to like to push the ball downfield, when he plays. 

Edited by Codaxx

I am pleased to introduce to you The Suck Theory. 

The Suck Theory is based upon the premise that sports programs with sustained on-field failures over many years produce over time a more apathetic fan base. Cults excluded.

This apathy can reach a point to where fan behaviors change markedly. For example, fans place much more focus on the tailgate than watching the game. Or, they prefer to go to Home Depot or Bed Bath And Beyond instead of turning on the game.  They know they will  be humiliated by opponents, so why bother. 

To understand where a fan base resides in the journey to Suck, The Suck Scale was created. It provides an easy calibration system for any fan to understand where a fan sits in their own personal Suck journey to hell.  

The Dallas Cowboys are the model for the Suck Scale. Dallas fans finally lost all hope in 2021. Since their last championship was in 1995, that implies a 26 year decay period from rabid fan to disinterested observer. 

Applied to Texas football, I figure we have until 2031 before Texas should just shut down football and focus on Harry Potter related sports activities. In 2022, I believe we are at the point on the scale where we will all begrudgingly accept wedding invitations that occur during a game because we might get laid later, or will sometimes opt for microbrewery tours over game day if there are a lot of IPA’s on the menu.  

This is why game week traffic on this thread is so slow. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sure hope Texas plays a more disciplined and better executed game vs k-state.

If so, it could be a great game !!!

Yep.  Got to figure out a way to cover the middle of the field when we are on defense....we are being eaten alive by allowing so many completions in the middle.  Perhaps only have 3 down linemen and drop back someone in the middle to take away those passes.....giving up to many 3rd/4th down conversions....Offense needs to get 5+ yards on 1st down to make 2nd/3rd downs easier to get....keep Offense on the field more so Defense isn't on the field for 75+ plays and wear out.  Surly, our coaches can figure this shit out....come on....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I was talking Howard. They seem to like to push the ball downfield, when he plays. 

Martinez was almost ready to play against okie lite -- pretty sure Martinez starts against Texas since we struggled against running QBs.

Howard did get a shoulder banged against tcu, so k-state was not running him much vs okie lite to protect him.  Klieman has also discussed redshirting Howard if he can -- one reason Martinez was brought in to start.

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

It's a multi-year process sure, but it also has to actually be fruitful. We need impact players at DE and at LB. We got young guys, but are any of them sure-fire talents? Are we sure that 2 years from now we'll be able to say "LB is shored up now and so is DE and now we got everything we need to field a complete defense." He's got to hit while recruiting, otherwise his multi-year process will be a waste of time. We've missed out on some big-time state DL and LB prospects in the past few years. That can't continue. If we keep taking shots on 3 stars and portal re-treads Sark will really have his work cut out for him.

Our edge and DL class in 2022 were very highly rated. We weren’t taking a bunch of shots on 3 stars there. Next year will be the test for how good they actually area and how much they’ve been developed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

What’s going on is everyone knows that we probably hired the wrong coach now. Factor in that we won’t make a change until after the 2023 or 2024 season and that means you have to your remove your emotional investment in football to preserve your sanity. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

What’s going on is everyone knows that we probably hired the wrong coach now. Factor in that we won’t make a change until after the 2023 or 2024 season and that means you have to your remove your emotional investment in football to preserve your sanity. 

Unless things really fall apart, if Arch signs with Texas Sark will probably be here at least thru the 2025 season.   

5 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

and 25th doesn't matter in that poll. No team ever in college football history went 25th in November to top 4 at the end. 

Think people don’t give a shit now,  wait ‘till we’re 25th and there are 12 teams going to the playoffs. 

• Haha 1

There’s something about the pattern of losing over the last two seasons that has led to my fatalism about this team. Watching them show that they are clearly the more talented team and getting first half leads on just about everyone, only to have the other team make halftime adjustments and slowly but surely catch-up and pass us at the end over and over has taken its toll.  We’ve definitely made improvements since last year (run defense, closing out games at home, and of course the Red River Shutout), but the Tech and OSU losses have really had an out-sized impact on my view of the season. 8-4 was always my goal for this season, and it is still attainable, but 7-5 seems a lot more likely and 6-6 a real possibility. A win Saturday night would go a long way towards improving my outlook because it would show we have taken that next step of beating a good team on the road. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

57 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They aren't really PI prone, we were getting hosed for PI in the OkSt game. 3 calls that shouldn't have been. Watts has been the most common offender otherwise, but not crazy there either.

Yeah, we aren't any worse at that compared to any other program you flip on and watch on Saturday's. PI's are an issue for teams all around the country because offenses know officials will call it and it's almost like a bail out play.

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

I think a lot of us expect to lose out. Go 6-6 or 5-7 because that’s what has happened for years. We want this team to change our mind but then there goes tech and ok state. Same ole same. This team def has the talent to win out but we don’t expect it. We are battered man. We will still watch and cheer and gripe. Are we getting the Ewers who can hit anything with his eyes closed or the one who can’t even hit ‘em to save his life. Are we getting the worthy who tries or not. Are we bringing the run game the second half? We all know what the defense is.

Then recruiting is boring at the moment because we locked up most of them before the season so not much to see there. The only news is, some recruits may leave if we keep losing or some may leave regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I maintain that it is this coaching staff that needs to learn how to win and not necessarily the players. New players, same results. I watch the first half of games completely calm and relaxed, but those second halves start up and my ass puckers more than my dog's when the doorbell rings. We need to get over that hump and start closing. Coffee is for closers. 🤘

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I just don’t care anymore.  The inability to improve has my fucks low. It’s literally the same shit no lessons learned and everyone can truly predict during the game what’s gonna happen if we can see it here coaches in the other team can see it.  I honestly log on now to read the aggy flat circle thread and to see which recruits we are gonna get that aren’t gonna do shit here anyway 

You don't think this team is improved from last year? This is a dumb fucking post.

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There’s only so much you can do from the film room. PK needs to go

This is so funny. Thinking he just sits in the film room all day jotting down notes then never shares anything. Probably just brings donuts to the staff meetings then plays Word with Friends in the back of the room while everyone else talks football.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

This is so funny. Thinking he just sits in the film room all day jotting down notes then never shares anything. Probably just brings donuts to the staff meetings then plays Word with Friends in the back of the room while everyone else talks football.

He’s not allowed on the practice field. Whatever man