2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No he wouldn't. Gurriel would be a disaster anywhere on the field. He was one of the worst defensive 1B in baseball in addition to be the worst offensive 1B. It's just ridiculous to pay him another contract.

He projects for a league average bat (100 wRC+).  As bad as he was last year he still only struck out in 12.5% of his pa.  As a full time 1B he projects to 0.6 fwar.  Even if he were a well below average defender and only able to play 1B/3B then he would still have value.  And there’s logic to the idea that your 12th or 13th position player has more impact in the clubhouse than on the field.

Im not lobbying for Houston to sign him; I wouldn’t do it if I were their GM.  But for <$8M and no commitment of significant playing time, I don’t think it’s a terrible decision.

Anyone with a soul wants Yuli back cause he's an OG fan favorite and the 2nd best 1st baseman in franchise history. Plus, he was awesome in this last WS run. 

It's probably not a good baseball decision to bring him back and that sucks, but if we're going to remain on top we the FO has to keep making smart moves. 

Maybe there's a place for him in the organization as a coach or heading up the Cuban pipeline somehow. 

12 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Anyone with a soul wants Yuli back cause he's an OG fan favorite and the 2nd best 1st baseman in franchise history. Plus, he was awesome in this last WS run. 

It's probably not a good baseball decision to bring him back and that sucks, but if we're going to remain on top we the FO has to keep making smart moves. 

Maybe there's a place for him in the organization as a coach or heading up the Cuban pipeline somehow. 

Glenn Davis was better than Yuli.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he’s takes the Diaz spot, how much did Diaz  contribute last season ? I’m better with a one year yuli deal than a bigger multi year deal for an avg player. This is a very weak free agent market 

we’ll see what happens. Judge and verlander need to sign, so the dominos well start falling 

He contributed more than Gurriel.

Diaz put up .6 fWAR, 1.0 bWAR in only about 90 games. Gurriel was negative in both. I guess you can argue he won’t be as big a negative if he’s only playing part time, but that’s offset by trying to play him at positions he’s incapable of defending (Diaz is average or better everywhere but SS).

Even if you don’t want to sign anyone else, it’s a worse idea than seeing what a prospect can do or even just bringing Diaz back. It’s irrational.

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean- is demanding a trade in baseball even a thing?  I’m struggling to come up with anyone who has publicly demanded a trade and had that be a thing that happened.  He’s under club control foR 3 more years. Trade him if it works for you or tell him to go fuck yourself, but what he wants wouldn’t even begin to figure in to my plans in any way, shape or form. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Leon / Jake / Lee / garcia

That seems like a fair deal to me. That’s 21 years of control going back their way. That’s 4 roster spots for them. Worst case scenario: bust that’s unplayable because his hit took and contact tool are broken, guy that’s can be a mediocre CF bc of his defense carrying him but Doesn’t hit enough to be plus player, backup catcher and #4 starter.

best case All Star, solid ML CF, starting catcher, 2 starter. 
That should be enough return for them to do the deal, but they might have other offers they like

more. If we sign a Contreras I see no reason we shouldn’t do that deal. I’d suggest we should sign 1 more starter if that happens but we should have the money to do that. 

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Reynolds + Brantley would be much cheaper than Contreras and leave us much more flexibility for another arm and 2024 beyond 

wonder if the pirates look at getting zero for Cole when talking with the Astros again ?

Sure. But Brantley is broken and you want to trade our only other viable catcher beyond Maldy, who is in his last year, so… you’d have to sign someone  at catcher. Any Astro fan opposed to signing the best catcher on the market and an all star confuses me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That seems like a fair deal to me. That’s 21 years of control going back their way. That’s 4 roster spots for them. Worst case scenario: bust that’s unplayable because his hit took and contact tool are broken, guy that’s can be a mediocre CF bc of his defense carrying him but Doesn’t hit enough to be plus player, backup catcher and #4 starter.

best case All Star, solid ML CF, starting catcher, 2 starter. 
That should be enough return for them to do the deal, but they might have other offers they like

more. If we sign a Contreras I see no reason we shouldn’t do that deal. I’d suggest we should sign 1 more starter if that happens but we should have the money to do that. 

Fwiw, baseball trade values accepts the deal. It’s almost exactly equal in value by their calculation.

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Reynolds + Brantley would be much cheaper than Contreras and leave us much more flexibility for another arm and 2024 beyond 

wonder if the pirates look at getting zero for Cole when talking with the Astros again ?

Well they got Musgrove, they just decided to flip him to SD. That’s kinda on them. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Do you have more faith in our system pumping out more pitchers or a quality cf ?

id be thinking hard if they’d bite on brown, leon and Lee 

I wouldn't think twice about saying no but that's just how much I believe in Brown. Obviously he could not work out.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Who has a bigger impact the next 3 seasons on this team, Reynolds or Brown ?

pirates would have to ask for your #1 prospect. Just talking here 

More faith in Brown. I think he will be a very TOR guy for like 4 of the next 6 years. He’s our bridge to competing for the playoffs in 26-28. I’m probably unreasonably high on him but when you can get a true ace on a club consoles deal that’s 30M in savings. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s a consensus or I’m just remembering multiple @Wulaw Hornposts, but I think ya’ll are underrating Garcia and overrating Brown.  I kind of think Garcia’s 2022 is a very hopeful outcome for Brown and those of ya’ll expecting him to be the next Verlander are really putting a lot pressure for him to prove guys like Keith Law, Jim Callis, and the fangraphs people wrong.  

30 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I don’t know if it’s a consensus or I’m just remembering multiple @Wulaw Hornposts, but I think ya’ll are underrating Garcia and overrating Brown.  I kind of think Garcia’s 2022 is a very hopeful outcome for Brown and those of ya’ll expecting him to be the next Verlander are really putting a lot pressure for him to prove guys like Keith Law, Jim Callis, and the fangraphs people wrong.  

I Love Brown, but I don’t think it’s mostly me posting about him. Close to a consensus I think. 

43 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

1 urquidy

2 garcia 

3 brown 

Order that you would prefer to trade them?

I agree for sure. 
If I was ranking the entire Org from most untradeable to least (important players only)

whitley (ha- just kidding)

Yordan, Javier, Brown, Altuve, Framber, Abreu, Abreu, Tucker, Peña, Bregman. That’s my top 10, in order. 
I’d be fine with trading anyone else due to money or short term commitment. 
I’d prefer to trade the following:

Dubon, Maton, Neris, Montero, Presley. Not all of them, but I’d definitely trade one of the last 3 if it stood in the way of getting a Contreras or Nimmo or the like. Maton and Dubon are the only ones I’d like to see gone for the sake of being gone. The other 3 just make a lot of money and we already have more then enough high leverage relievers more or less. 

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

talent level and importance to this team 

You’ve got Urquidy more talented and valuable than garcia and Brown?  
As far as the bullpen goes Stanek didn’t even pitch in the WS. I’m not saying trade all of them, but any one of them could be replaced and they all make big money.