2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

If the arbitration thing makes a difference he was never signing again anyway.  Players know this is the system, it's one they negotiated.  It just is what it is.  

Frankly I hate the system because it pits you against your own players in trying to downplay them.  But at this point it's almost 50 years of "is what it is".  

The gap is big, but I also think it was somewhat intentional to get him to sign a better long term deal.  It may have backfired, and now that the Astros won, maybe not because it could be more incentive to just get it over with and sign a long term deal and get that money back

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Not sure if this increases, decreases or has no effect on the likelihood of Tucker doing an extension. Maybe he decides his long term demands aren’t realistic. On the other hand, maybe he’s pissed off. Or maybe it doesn’t make a shit. 

It's been a few years, so i may be mistaken, but I think Bregman lost his arbitration case right before signing his extension. Put me in the it-don't-make-a-shit camp. 

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It's been a few years, so i may be mistaken, but I think Bregman lost his arbitration case right before signing his extension. Put me in the it-don't-make-a-shit camp. 

It was the year before arbitration and the Astros were going to pay like $640k for that last year (which Breggy didn't like).

then they signed him to the bigger deal: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-third-baseman-alex-bregman-have-reportedly-agreed-on-a-six-year-100-million-contract/

I'd assume we'll see the same with Tucker. If he signs a long term deal it's year over year will be much higher than what he's getting this year.

• Like 1

I said we should offer Javier 5/50 a couple different times. 64M is sort of a big number considering he’s got 3 years of arbitration left and the baseline he’s starting at is 3M. That essentially means his arb is going to cost about 20M, so they gave him 2/44 sight unseen. 
That’s a pretty fair deal both ways. I love it. If Brown is as good as I think he will be then that keeps the competitive window open through 27. 
I think I’m going to love the new GM. 
Good for a Javier too. He locks up generational wealth and is still a FA before 30.