2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You misread it.  What he was saying was he wanted to step down while he was thought of as a good ump not a great one.  As in- he'd lost his fastball and wasn't as good as he once was in his prime- but he'd hang it up when his skills decreased but he was still good, and not waiting until he was washed up or Angel Buckner'ing it up.  

Joe West has entered the chat…

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

So instead of hitting coors field, thinking of flying to Milwaukee, then drive to Chicago, then st Louis and fly back. Any words of advice? Other than don't go out at night in Chicago

Milwaukee is an underrated great town. I don't know how much drinking and brewery tours and local stuff you can do with little shep but the architecture is pretty cool and lakeside brewery is pretty great tour, and Miller Lite is funny.  The city has a Euro feel to it like nowhere else in the US to me.

Wrigley is great.

St. Louis eh- I lived there 3 years it's pretty mediocre.  You can try IMO's pizza which is awful but it's the local thing they are proud of. You should eat that just to be greatful that this isn't what you have to eat as far as pizza goes.  There's a lot of cheapish decent Italian places in the hill area.  Locals love a place called Ted Druys frozen custard.  Bowling HOF is there.  You could go up in the arch if you are sufficiently bored.  Whatever. I haven't been in 20 years to STL maybe it's completely different now.  Most mediocre city I've ever been to or had the misfortune of living in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

So instead of hitting coors field, thinking of flying to Milwaukee, then drive to Chicago, then st Louis and fly back. Any words of advice? Other than don't go out at night in Chicago

Be sure to stay in East St. Louis. LilShep will learn a few things. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Milwaukee is an underrated great town. I don't know how much drinking and brewery tours and local stuff you can do with little shep but the architecture is pretty cool and lakeside brewery is pretty great tour, and Miller Lite is funny.  The city has a Euro feel to it like nowhere else in the US to me.

Wrigley is great.

St. Louis eh- I lived there 3 years it's pretty mediocre.  You can try IMO's pizza which is awful but it's the local thing they are proud of. You should eat that just to be greatful that this isn't what you have to eat as far as pizza goes.  There's a lot of cheapish decent Italian places in the hill area.  Locals love a place called Ted Druys frozen custard.  Bowling HOF is there.  You could go up in the arch if you are sufficiently bored.  Whatever. I haven't been in 20 years to STL maybe it's completely different now.  Most mediocre city I've ever been to or had the misfortune of living in. 

I've lived in St. Louis for six years now, left Austin when we retired to be closer to the grandchildren.  Wulaw is correct with his review.  Except Imo's sucks so bad it's not worth even a try!  Be careful downtown at night, the city is under policed and dangerous/

• Hook 'Em 1

My advice....spend greatest portion of time in Chicago....so much to see and do.

Never been to Mil, but the area around Cards stadium is pretty nice on gamedays for pregaming, eating etc. You can walk to the arch also in like 5-10 mins and do the tourist photo. Other than that I don't have much for St Louis.....go find a Nelly concert i guess

Mil - find a great fish fry, it won’t be hard. Do the Miller brewery tour. Very nice stadium, but not much around it. Very under rated / nice town. Lakeside brewery has a great fish fry / cheese curds and dinner hall. If jackson grill is opened up again, solid dinner club and bar 

cubs - eat pregame at Murphy’s, it’s a Good dog and cheap. It’ll be packed. Sit in the bleachers. As soon as you walk in, take a right. You’ll find a 5 gallon bucket of sunscreen, use it. Stay for the cubs win and ‘ “go cubs go’. The brewery 3 or 4 blocks away has damn good cheese curds. Hit the museum fine art and natural history. If I can find it, I’ve stayed at a great bnb / hostel. Eat pequods pizza, reservation needed, get the cheese bread 

#csb - John Goodman wrote that, but it was his second try. His first song was deemed too sad to be the cubs song, A dying cub fan’s  last request 

#csb 2 - the cubs had a gray core and pissed it away. Very cubs of them 

st Louie - burn it to the ground 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

It’s been a few years but I enjoyed my trip to St. Louis - Go up the arch and see the Lewis and Clark museum, eat some Italian on the Hill and think about all of the baseball players that are from that neighborhood and watch the Astros crush the Cardinals.

That’s a good trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Mil - find a great fish fry, it won’t be hard. Do the Miller brewery tour. Very nice stadium, but not much around it. Very under rated / nice town. Lakeside brewery has a great fish fry / cheese curds and dinner hall. If jackson grill is opened up again, solid dinner club and bar 

cubs - eat pregame at Murphy’s, it’s a Good dog and cheap. It’ll be packed. Sit in the bleachers. As soon as you walk in, take a right. You’ll find a 5 gallon bucket of sunscreen, use it. Stay for the cubs win and ‘ “go cubs go’. The brewery 3 or 4 blocks away has damn good cheese curds. Hit the museum fine art and natural history. If I can find it, I’ve stayed at a great bnb / hostel. Eat pequods pizza, reservation needed, get the cheese bread 

#csb - John Goodman wrote that, but it was his second try. His first song was deemed too sad to be the cubs song, A dying cub fan’s  last request 

#csb 2 - the cubs had a gray core and pissed it away. Very cubs of them 

st Louie - burn it to the ground 

#CSB - Steve Goodman actually wrote “Go Cubs Go” he also wrote “You Never Even Called Me By My Name” made famous by David Allen Coe

#CSB2 - Steve Goodman wrote the Coe hit with legendary songwriter John Prine. Prine thought the song was too cheesy though and didn’t want his name attached to it so after it became a hit Goodman bought Prine a jukebox with his first royalty check.

• Hook 'Em 2