Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we just discovered that huge bottle of creamy JIF they sell. 

It's funny, several years ago they sold Skippy.  My kids went into rebellion with the change.  I was very disgruntled when the wife would respond to the demands and buy Skippy at the grocery store for many times more per serving.  

Now they scarf down Jif without complaint.   Little terrorists.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

The entire Costco shopping experience is a beating.

if you go to costco on a Friday after work or Sat  afternoon / evening you are doing it wrong.

the way to go is first thing on a Saturday - like walk in when the doors open - or go like an hour before close on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The entire Costco shopping experience is a beating.

The thing of it is there isn't anywhere else that is much less of a beating.  Lets say I can smoothly move through the barely occupied Brand X grocery store, well then they only have 1 checkout open and somehow have a line of 6 people waiting.   OR go to the god damn self checkout which is a real fucking beating.  Fuck that.  Compounded by the fact I get 3 bags of groceries for $350.  I go to Costco and a whole damn cart is $350.  (probably low, but its hard to adjust my brain to current prices)

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Shop the coupon book and mark downs 

that is the way 

I value my time and getting what I want way more than spending time on that.  If I stumble onto something I need as a mark down, great, I am not at all opposed to buying it.  

Why is self checkout a beating?  I get thru far quicker than I would the cashier lanes.
(Cue "you're costing people their jobs" outrage.)

I usually use it but the age verification for alcohol and wrong weight in a bag verification is a beating
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

trust me, the side piece / gf is even worst 

me: Hey, did you pick up the dog food at Costco?

Yeah, it was really crowded.

me: uh, Chase shows the charge was $155....wtf all did you buy?

Like dog food, and a few other things.

"other things" = $100+ worth of fruit, veggies, chia seeds and other revolting health food items that take up 3/4 of the fridge space and will be tossed out in a few weeks when they start rotting....and all my fault because I didn't eat "my share" of stuff she knows I don't like

image.png.5d1bcab7434cbc3d9123c44d620dd6d6.png

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why is self checkout a beating?  I get thru far quicker than I would the cashier lanes.

(Cue "you're costing people their jobs" outrage.)

It's superior for a quick minimal number of items visit.

For a cart full of groceries:

"place item in bagging area"    It FUCKING is in the bagging area!!!!!

barcode not in system

punching in fruits and vegetables by the visual menu

waiting on the one employee to verify age

card reader broken

to name a few of the reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

For a cart full of groceries:

Well, yeah.  I don't even know of a store with self-check that doesn't limit the # items to a dozen or so.

punching in fruits and vegetables by the visual menu

At HEB, the produce has item codes so I go to the scale, weigh/number the items with said code, print out the sticker that has a bar code, and wallah.  Scan city.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, yeah.  I don't even know of a store with self-check that doesn't limit the # items to a dozen or so.

HEB Brodie has a couple of 25-item self checkouts with a guy at the end who does bagging/age verification/overrides/etc

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

HEB Brodie has a couple of 25-item self checkouts with a guy at the end who does bagging/age verification/overrides/etc

You should get a discount for self-checkout. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

me: Hey, did you pick up the dog food at Costco?

Yeah, it was really crowded.

me: uh, Chase shows the charge was $155....wtf all did you buy?

Like dog food, and a few other things.

"other things" = $100+ worth of fruit, veggies, chia seeds and other revolting health food items that take up 3/4 of the fridge space and will be tossed out in a few weeks when they start rotting....and all my fault because I didn't eat "my share" of stuff she knows I don't like

image.png.5d1bcab7434cbc3d9123c44d620dd6d6.png

The wives thread is --->

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bagged vacuum that was 20+ years old. Figured there have to be better vacuums, so I bought a used Dyson for $100 off Craigslist. Dyson's a good brand, right? Holy garbage was that thing terrible. Ok on carpet, but would literally just push dirt around on bare floor. Overengineered to be cute instead of just working. In the middle of vacuuming, I literally turned it off and went to buy a new one.

Went to Target as they had a lot of options, but got overwhelmed. After 30 minutes of looking and looking at reviews, I picked one on the shelf, only to find they didn't have it in actual stock (just the floor model).

Went to Costco, where they had three options. Looked up the reviews of this thing. There were like 20 of them at my store:

image.png.b41c07efcc53ce1d7d90a7cb463fa512.png

$189 and holy shit it's a good vacuum. I never realized I lived in such filth.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Had a bagged vacuum that was 20+ years old. Figured there have to be better vacuums, so I bought a used Dyson for $100 off Craigslist. Dyson's a good brand, right? Holy garbage was that thing terrible. Ok on carpet, but would literally just push dirt around on bare floor. Overengineered to be cute instead of just working. In the middle of vacuuming, I literally turned it off and went to buy a new one.

Went to Target as they had a lot of options, but got overwhelmed. After 30 minutes of looking and looking at reviews, I picked one on the shelf, only to find they didn't have it in actual stock (just the floor model).

Went to Costco, where they had three options. Looked up the reviews of this thing. There were like 20 of them at my store:

image.png.b41c07efcc53ce1d7d90a7cb463fa512.png

$189 and holy shit it's a good vacuum. I never realized I lived in such filth.

dysons are great products.  your problem is you bought yours off craigslist. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Boo. Bought a vacuum middle of last month. Went in yesterday and saw it's now on sale for $40 cheaper.  I asked for a price adjustment and they said it was outside the 30 day window (been about 40 days). But the thing went on sale at the beginning of this month, well inside the 30-day window.

So if I continued to check the price regularly after I bought it, I would have been about to get the $40 back. But because I didn't see it until yesterday, I'm SOL.

Lame, Costco.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Boo. Bought a vacuum middle of last month. Went in yesterday and saw it's now on sale for $40 cheaper.  I asked for a price adjustment and they said it was outside the 30 day window (been about 40 days). But the thing went on sale at the beginning of this month, well inside the 30-day window.

So if I continued to check the price regularly after I bought it, I would have been about to get the $40 back. But because I didn't see it until yesterday, I'm SOL.

Lame, Costco.

What’s their return policy on the vacuum?

return it. Buy the same vacuum for $40 cheaper. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

What’s their return policy on the vacuum?

return it. Buy the same vacuum for $40 cheaper. 

It ran through my mind. They have a 90 day return. For $40, it's worth it to go to the desk and ask. It's not worth it to pack it all up, return, and then rebuy. And I already tossed the box...

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It ran through my mind. They have a 90 day return. For $40, it's worth it to go to the desk and ask. It's not worth it to pack it all up, return, and then rebuy. And I already tossed the box...

You didn’t get a friendly return desk person like I have before. Here is what they told me. Go inside, buy at the cheaper price. Take it out to your vehicle, and then take it directly to the return desk (you have to leave the store with it). The purchase system updates overnight, so it will only have the record of your previous purchase at the higher price. Old one never leaves your house.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

You didn’t get a friendly return desk person like I have before. Here is what they told me. Go inside, buy at the cheaper price. Take it out to your vehicle, and then take it directly to the return desk (you have to leave the store with it). The purchase system updates overnight, so it will only have the record of your previous purchase at the higher price. Old one never leaves your house.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

god damn GIF

On 2/11/2024 at 1:52 PM, Zepol87 said:

Anyone use optical at Costco? Gf can’t see shit and needs some better glasses

Have used Costco for my glasses for for years.  Zero complaints and usually priced better than other places. IIRC my last frame and lenses with upgrades (high index, HD, UV filter, anti-glare, etc) were around $150.  They usually have a "buy one, get one 50% off" offer, which is useful if you also want prescription sunglasses.

Will say I've never used vision insurance with them (primarily wear contacts and use my annual allowance for them) so I can't speak to how smoothly (or not smoothly) that part of it works.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Will say I've never used vision insurance with them (primarily wear contacts and use my annual allowance for them) so I can't speak to how smoothly (or not smoothly) that part of it works.

it works fine just like anywhere else.