Jump to content

Welcome to Costco .....


tx 3 putt

Recommended Posts

There are many more deals at Costco v HEB, it's not even funny. If you know your prices, shop the costco sales and have space, you can save some serious money v HEB. I'm a fan.

I stopped in last night to get a $5 rotisserie chicken and they had 80/20 ground beef on special for $1.99 lb. Picked up a pack. Made half today for taco meat (freezer servings) and I'll make the rest tomorrow for chili. 

Some standards for me :

Neutrogena body wash, when it's a on sale. 

Kirkland Thick Cut bacon. 3lbs for the price of 1lb at HEB. I cut it up and freeze

Kerrygold butter. best deal when it's sale. 

all paper goods

reynolds foil. high quality and thicker rolls

eggs

shampoo and conditioner. I don't use the stuff, but the sale prices are always great.  

the croissants for the bakery are a great deal, 12 for $5.99.

their holiday pumpkin pie is just delicious, as was the pecan pie. both were double the size of heb pies and cheaper 

just to name a few. i also, fill up every stop (4% back). clothing can be some great buys also.

I adopted several kids for xmas and couple of families for the holidays. found some great deals on toys, groceries, clothing, and jackets. shoes can be hit and miss.

https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html?&ADBUTLERID=homepage_hero_decembermvm

 

 

 

Edited by tx 3 putt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We do a Costco run every 2 or 3 weeks. We have a list of things we get there. I also buy almost all my meat there. Good stuff at good prices. I also buy liquor. It's always cheaper than anywhere else. I get some name-brand stuff, but also buy Kirkland brand liquor that I'm going to mix, or use a lot of and don't need high end stuff. Things like spiced rum, vodka, tequila. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We do a Costco run every 2 or 3 weeks. We have a list of things we get there. I also buy almost all my meat there. Good stuff at good prices. I also buy liquor. It's always cheaper than anywhere else. I get some name-brand stuff, but also buy Kirkland brand liquor that I'm going to mix, or use a lot of and don't need high end stuff. Things like spiced rum, vodka, tequila. 

We also do a run every 2 or 3 weeks.  We eat a lot of meat so I buy the chicken, beef and salmon in bulk.  Their fruit is also top notch.  Costco salted peanuts are better than any other peanuts I've ever eaten.  Their nut butters (almond, peanut, etc) are fantastic and priced better than any other grocery store.  Good spice selection too. 

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

Also want to shout out the cheesecake, which is well worth bringing to a holiday situation.  It serves 12 or so and is really good for the price.

That pumpkin cheesecake was absolutely amazing.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife has some phobia about running out of TP.  We typically have two of the GIANT Costco full packs of TP in the house: one open and distributed among all the bathrooms (seriously, the cabinet in just our bathroom has probably 20 backup rolls in it), plus a full pack in the garage as a backup.

When the pandemic "run on TP" happened.....we were, umm, shitting pretty with our ample supply.

Now that the kids are gone, we buy a lot less there, but there's still a set rotation of stuff we get there.  As for me, if I get to go along on a trip, I usually pick up some sort of giant pack of beef: short ribs, steaks, whatever.  They've got good deals.

  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife has some phobia about running out of TP.  We typically have two of the GIANT Costco full packs of TP in the house: one open and distributed among all the bathrooms (seriously, the cabinet in just our bathroom has probably 20 backup rolls in it), plus a full pack in the garage as a backup.

When the pandemic "run on TP" happened.....we were, umm, shitting pretty with our ample supply.

Now that the kids are gone, we buy a lot less there, but there's still a set rotation of stuff we get there.  As for me, if I get to go along on a trip, I usually pick up some sort of giant pack of beef: short ribs, steaks, whatever.  They've got good deals.

When our kids were home we had the membership that gives a percentage back. Now that their on their own, we don't spend enough and just have the basic membership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The stereotype that Asians are bad drivers is not just for cars. It also applies to Costco’s giant shopping carts. 

I live in a neighborhood with lots of Hispanics and Asians. Asians are not the worst drivers of those two groups. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea we only got 60.00 back this year and we will spend about 600.00 when we use it.  Shrewd.

I put everything on our Costco visa. I’m embarrassed to say how much our cash reward is each year, but it is a lot (I also have three kids so we go weekly just about). Our 2% year executive membership reward is also usually surprisingly large, but we have bought a few appliances and vacations from them over the years which skews it upward. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I purchase several items regularly at Costco - mostly when they have a regular, re-occurring discount.  Keurig pods, OTC meds, etc.  I always run through the meat section.  I buy several cases of Topo Chico lime when they have it.

I usually go when it opens on Saturday or Sunday.  Very quick in and out.  When it's crowded, you have to take the outside track past the appliances and mattresses.  Main thoroughfares are a nightmare - why the hell does the entire, extended family need to be in-tow for a trip to Costco? 

I always try to go alone.  My wife treats it like supermarket sweep - done this way, you can go broke saving money at Costco. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feels like HEB fought back with house brands -- I know their "Aveeno" is functionally the same and cheaper.  Same wtih some house TP and paper towels.  Haven't bought meat at CostCo in awhile, I'm not sure how that prices out.  1/3 the price sounds optimistic, guess I need to go back.

When we didn't have every kid in college it was easier for us to blast through bulk purchases, but now, I just head to the neighborhood HEB for convenience and less hassle.  If it's open.

Edited by jimmyjazz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Costco has great ribeyes, my goto for steak night. their butcher will cut you up some extra thick asap 

Yeah, the great thing about their steaks is that they're technically USDA Choice, but they swear to "Choice or better", meaning you're getting damn close or equal to Prime for a lot less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I've been known to go up to once a week.  Easy on and off the highway for me on the way home from work. Agree with slower during the week.

Paper goods, Sodas, Tide pods, dishwasher pods, trash bags are easy savers.

 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Pods are a great deal, when on sale

Laundry soap and Downey are also much cheaper than other stores 

pods are why you hate your dishwasher

(someone else posted this and i'm embarrassed by how long i watched videos about dishwasher operation)

TLDW: your dishwasher in regular/heavy modes uses 2 wash cycles. the dishwasher pod doesn't allow any detergent into the first of those cycles.  also, powder is cheaper and dissolves just as fast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pods are why you hate your dishwasher
(someone else posted this and i'm embarrassed by how long i watched videos about dishwasher operation)
TLDW: your dishwasher in regular/heavy modes uses 2 wash cycles. the dishwasher pod doesn't allow any detergent into the first of those cycles.  also, powder is cheaper and dissolves just as fast

Can you TLDR that shit. Nobody has time for a 30 minute video with 30 seconds of info buried somewhere in the middle.

We only use Finish pods and the dishes are clean AF. The dishwasher guy did say to just throw the pod in the bottom of the dishwasher and don’t put it in the compartment on the door. Maybe that’s the difference.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:


Can you TLDR that shit. Nobody has time for a 30 minute video with 30 seconds of info buried somewhere in the middle.

We only use Finish pods and the dishes are clean AF. The dishwasher guy did say to just throw the pod in the bottom of the dishwasher and don’t put it in the compartment on the door. Maybe that’s the difference.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/015/652/230114_908223010.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I usually pick up some sort of giant pack of beef: short ribs, steaks, whatever.  They've got good deals.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Costco has great ribeyes, my goto for steak night. their butcher will cut you up some extra thick asap 

Be aware that the precut meat at Costco is blade tenderized, which technically makes it unsafe to cook rare/med-rare. The risk is very low, but if you are feeding someone immunocompromised, be aware. Now if you ask the butcher for the entire primal in cryo-vac and cut it yourself, then you have control and it is not tenderized.

I'm unclear if the butcher will run it through the tenderizer if you ask them to cut something special for you.

 

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

why the hell does the entire, extended family need to be in-tow for a trip to Costco? 

Do you even samples bro?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI for the single virgins here, they’ll run the Trojan 40 pack for $11 (on special) 

load up before they’re banned !

 

 

 

3 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Tried this on a whim, it's actually great.

1453893115_ketogranola.thumb.jpg.b16ca7b505a4ba187c85286632af8b14.jpg


that’s really good, I agree 

Edited by tx 3 putt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Costco has great ribeyes, my goto for steak night. their butcher will cut you up some extra thick asap 

The wife and I go on Tuesdays when they open and the first thing we get are the ribeyes.  Buy them four to a pack, cut them in half due to their thickness, and steak Sunday is set for the month.  The butchers at COSTCO here in FW are very helpful and have always been willing to do special cuts when asked. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pch said:

The wife and I go on Tuesdays when they open and the first thing we get are the ribeyes.  Buy them four to a pack, cut them in half due to their thickness, and steak Sunday is set for the month.  The butchers at COSTCO here in FW are very helpful and have always been willing to do special cuts when asked. 

 


costco Houston too, their butchers will cut you about anything special 

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2022 at 10:56 PM, Gil Bang said:

we go at least weekly, sometimes twice weekly.  I buy all the gas there for both vehicles.  I buy beer there, and the prices are OK but beer can be found cheaper when it's on sale at the supermarket. 

I always see the line and say fuck it. I’ll pay more not to wait for 20 minutes to fill up. 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

Costco pizza and $1.50 hot dogs are worth the visit. That's all I got.

Don’t even need a membership for that!


you can’t beat their bully sticks. Huge bag for $33.00 when you’d probably pay 3x as much from the regular pet store. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...