Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

McLaren is my team, but I'm rooting for them to suffer this year.  The curse of Danny Ric, as my heart sees it.

Excited to see if ALO can really give RBR and the horses something to worry about.

Merc down bad and HAM behind RUS again just feels so weird after the past decade or so.

Haas starting P10 in Race 1?  Get you some, Gunter! 

GAS starting P20 warms my Frenchie hating heart.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have always liked Alex Albon and I hope they can get that car to be competitive.

Same.  My nephews are Filipino, raised in Thailand and Hong Kong, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time w/ them.  When Albon showed up, I messaged them in hopes that they'd be stoked for a Thai driver on the grid and they'd start following F1 (they kind of identify as Thai due to living there about 10yrs - my brother still has a house there).  It worked on the oldest one and he has been hooked ever since.  

Thought Alex both probably got put on RBR too soon, and demoted too soon - not sure wtf else they wanted out of a rookie than to be the best driver behind the Mercs, Ferrari and Max the 2nd half of the season.  Hell, dude would have had a podium if HAM hadn't crashed him out in Brazil.  If he can find a way to get into the Top 10 WDC this year, I'll be ecstatic. 

• Like 1

Same.  My nephews are Filipino, raised in Thailand and Hong Kong, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time w/ them.  When Albon showed up, I messaged them in hopes that they'd be stoked for a Thai driver on the grid and they'd start following F1 (they kind of identify as Thai due to living there about 10yrs - my brother still has a house there).  It worked on the oldest one and he has been hooked ever since.  
Thought Alex both probably got put on RBR too soon, and demoted too soon - not sure wtf else they wanted out of a rookie than to be the best driver behind the Mercs, Ferrari and Max the 2nd half of the season.  Hell, dude would have had a podium if HAM hadn't crashed him out in Brazil.  If he can find a way to get into the Top 10 WDC this year, I'll be ecstatic. 

Here’s a nice piece by Alex. Kind of gives some insight on how RBR works as well.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/alex-albon-formula-one-racing-f1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mittens said:

McLaren is my team, but I'm rooting for them to suffer this year.  The curse of Danny Ric, as my heart sees it.

Excited to see if ALO can really give RBR and the horses something to worry about.

Merc down bad and HAM behind RUS again just feels so weird after the past decade or so.

My brother

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Nice of them to give Ferrari a free pass with the red flag.

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of "orange" flag or something.

Two pieces of debris and they stop everything. It's like the creeping in of football reviews. Just have the drivers have a 60-second stop where they are on track or something and let the marshals grab the debris and get back racing.

Stopping, having everyone go back to the pits, then waiting 10 minutes is overkill.

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

MAG got absolutely owned by the Hulk. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952xlzw766qzirh60ic5uv

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

20230304_104108.thumb.jpg.c372e1ca5e2c1ec4edf2a4b451d3e815.jpg

I'm sure this is funny, but I can't spot it. What am I missing?

Also, P5 plus great race pace for the AM? Yep. I'll take that. Ferrari's seem hard on their tires so far. Podium for Fernando? Maybe. WeWillSee.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

My Crack

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Wood rn:

Bart's prank calls - Wikisimpsons, the Simpsons Wiki

Ah, gotcha. I thought I was supposed to be looking beyond the obvious. LOL, remember back when they first announced him, the 'my crack' jokes almost broke the internet.

36 minutes ago, wood said:

Ah, gotcha. I thought I was supposed to be looking beyond the obvious. LOL, remember back when they first announced him, the 'my crack' jokes almost broke the internet.

I haven't paid very close attention during this offseason, so it was still a fresh source of amusement for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I haven't paid very close attention during this offseason, so it was still a fresh source of amusement for me. 

It never gets old. It's like 'That's what she said'.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

So RBR still the best, but not by as much as normal?
Hoping alonzo can make,some noise tomorrow.

Yeah in Q3 the top 10 was covered by about 1.3s today. In Q1, the entire field was covered by less than 1.3.

We have us a season, y'all.

Edited by wood

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

apparently you didn't pay very close attention last season either, he's in his second year as team principal

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

apparently you didn't pay very close attention last season either, he's in his second year as team principal

2022. 2023. Whatever it takes.

(speaking of jokes that never get old to me)

• Haha 1

I had a dream, that Checo took the championship away from Verstappen this year. Checo gets fired for saying fuck you to team orders. Hamilton retires. Checo gets picked up by Mercedes to be the #2, but ends up beating Verstappen in 2024 with Mercedes.

Then I woke up.

BELIEVE!!

18 minutes ago, texas08 said:

I don’t get the mclaren hype year after year…they seem like they suck.

Norris seems like a fine dude, but meh driver (compared to the elites).

Does anybody hype McLaren? I feel like it's a steady diet of deserved shit talking at this point

Just watched my recording. Hoping this season ends up as exciting as it has the potential to be. There are finally a half dozen good drivers in his competitive cars to start the season. 

Wondering if Alonso's "he only know how to drive from the front" comment will go through Hamilton's mind tonight knowing he's starting tomorrow's race staring straight at Alonso's rear end. 

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

I don’t get the mclaren hype year after year…they seem like they suck.

Norris seems like a fine dude, but meh driver (compared to the elites).

Nobody hypes McLaren, dude. It’s a large fan base of a famous team praying they’ll finally put it together after so many years. Put Lando in a decent car and he’ll do fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Harmless? Have you ever seen him drive? 

He's basically Grosjean. Quick (not quite as quick as Grosjean, who was proper fast), but severely lacking in spatial awareness and common sense. Grosjean should consider his near death experience as a sign, and stop racing at all before he kills himself or sopmeone else. 

28 minutes ago, wood said:

He's basically Grosjean. Quick (not quite as quick as Grosjean, who was proper fast), but severely lacking in spatial awareness and common sense. Grosjean should consider his near death experience as a sign, and stop racing at all before he kills himself or sopmeone else. 

RoGro hasn't had nearly as many WTF moments in IndyCar. 

• Like 1

Welp, I hope he keeps it up & stays safe. He's always been very quick. Being slow has never been his problem.

Just saw this a few minutes ago. Awesome.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Just now, RamjetFDO said:

Can you imagine the shitshow if he bought a team?

That would be must-see TV.

Andretti is trying to buy one. If they teamed up, holy shit! Clarkson Andretti Racing CAR

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2