Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Not much buzz for NASCAR at COTA this weekend. Actually, like no buzz at all. A little surprised. My kid and I will be out there some. Any of y'all headed out to cheer on JB 15 or Kimi 91?

SMI knows how to run a race, so it's not the usual COTA shitshow. Cheap tickets and free parking outside Lot A.

No mention at all in the NASCAR 2022 thread. I was also looking for a 2023 thread. Did I just miss it? I know NASCAR is lost, wandering the desert, but damn.

Not much buzz for NASCAR at COTA this weekend. Actually, like no buzz at all. A little surprised. My kid and I will be out there some. Any of y'all headed out to cheer on JB 15 or Kimi 91?
SMI knows how to run a race, so it's not the usual COTA shitshow. Cheap tickets and free parking outside Lot A.
No mention at all in the NASCAR 2022 thread. I was also looking for a 2023 thread. Did I just miss it? I know NASCAR is lost, wandering the desert, but damn.

I had no idea it was this weekend until like 2 days ago

Will miss it again this year. Maybe I’ll catch it one of these years

1 hour ago, wood said:

I went the first year, it was more than enough NASCAR experience for me.  I absolutely loathe the "staged" racing with stupid unnecessary restarts over and over.

Also, SMI completely screwed up our PSL/VIP ticketing, spent dozens of minutes each day arguing with gate/access personnel about it.  Finally by raceday they knew our faces so it got better.

15 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Go to Montreal instead. 

Este. Also, remember when NASCAR used to race at CGV? That was actually good racing and pretty fun to watch.

And re: the NASCAR stage racing, I just found out there will be no yellows breaking up the stages this time. Not sure if this is the only race or not, but they need to do that at every race if they insist on continuing with stage racing. I'm still not going on Sunday though, except mayyyyybe if I get free tickets & parking offered to me like today and tomorrow.

Edited by wood

On 3/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

bictzjxsqvpa1.png

From Reddit. Nice trophy sitting on the drinks fridge there, Max.

The best part is he has it stiiing on a folded up hand towel.

On 3/25/2023 at 10:09 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lo fucking l. He may be a millionaire 24 year old who has two WDC, but he's still a 24 year old unmarried dude.

nbsphbgvmgaa1.png?width=1024&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=b57c399112c3fce331f050e66cc1b4120a4ca5dc

Drive fast cars real fast. Play video games on a kickass rig. Maybe bang a hot piece of ass. Repeat  

He’s living the dream. 

16 hours ago, wood said:

Got damn. Those were the days...

Yup. Sigh….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Back during Covid lockdown most of the younger drivers had big sim rigs built and they streamed virtual races on Twitch, many times while talking in discord with the other drivers.

That's one of the reasons some of the drummed up drama in Drive to Survive was kind of stupid, lots of those guys are friends and gamed together throughout lockdown 

• Like 1

JB. LOL ...

“We got a little bit unlucky with the safety car because it was just two laps before our window. Pitted, then the next stint was mayhem. We also made a couple of changes that just didn’t work. Big oversteer – went from the car feeling great to really difficult to drive. I also had a massive whack from Kimi [Räikkönen], and it fell off after that. The car wasn’t quite right.”

https://racer.com/2023/03/27/button-on-nascar-debut-it-was-an-emotional-rollercoaster/

Another reason not to like Gunther Steiner, as if there weren't enough already ...

He wants to scrap all practice sessions, with the following format:

Friday:
Qualifying for the Sprint Race

Saturday:
Qualifying for the GP
Sprint Race

Sunday:
GP

I mean ... what could possibly go wrong? Imagine rocking up to Jeddah, or Monaco, or Suzuka, or COTA with its latest annual array of bumps and varying grip levels throughout, and Qualifying right out of the box with a freshly built car. Now imagine you're a rookie who's never driven the track. Fuck Gunther.

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Add a p1 to Friday. In minority but prefer sprint weekends to 3 practice session with no stakes

I have no problem with a sprint weekend just so long as there is a Qualfying session that sets the grid for the GP, and the Sprint grid is set by another session or by something else, like maybe reverse constructor or driver points. And like you said, if you add an FP1 to Steiner's idea, then it's not so terrible.

Friday:

FP (90 min)

Saturday:
Qualifying for the GP
Sprint Race

Sunday:
GP

Apparently Domenicali is entertaining the idea of dropping down to just one Friday practice, too. If there was only the one Friday session, there would be no point in attending that day. Even living 20 minutes away from COTA like I do, it's far too much of a hassle to attend for just one session, even if that session is Q for the Sprint.

I'm not in favor of removing sessions, but if they want to cut a practice or 2, they need to compress the weekend into 2 days. The NASCAR weekend at COTA was a great example of what I'm talking about. NASCAR runs only 3 sessions all weekend: Practice, Qualifying, and the Race. That's it. There's no good reason to run that over three days. There was basically nobody there on Friday and Saturday, and not many people at all on Sunday.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Do you have the other series at COTA?  At Catalunya we had F2, F3 and the womens races.

Those are Euro-centric leagues that don't travel to flyaway races, as far as I know.  Or, at least, they don't travel to North America.  

They do have other support races at COTA, things like the Porsche Cup or Ferrari Challenge.  They had the W Series race before that league folded, and now I think the new women's league that is also Euro-centric, WILL be coming to COTA in 2023.  I think that's posted somewhere upthread.

In 2021 they also had F4 which is an open wheels league on the American branch of feeders into Formula 1 (rather than targeted at Indycar), and that was fun, but they didn't come back in 2022 because they couldn't book enough time and had to run very short practice and race sessions, at too much cost.  Instead, they came on their own a couple of weekends later so they could run more sessions at their own leisure.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, wood said:

Another reason not to like Gunther Steiner, as if there weren't enough already ...

He wants to scrap all practice sessions, with the following format:

Friday:

Saturday:
Qualifying for the GP
Sprint Race

Sunday:
GP

What's his reasoning? Is he trying to reduce the likelihood of his drivers fooksmashing the car and incurring repairs he can't afford during the three practice sessions?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

What's his reasoning? Is he trying to reduce the likelihood of his drivers fooksmashing the car and incurring repairs he can't afford during the three practice sessions?

My guess is that Guenther knows Haas is horrible with setups and tweaking the car, so Haas’s best chance for success is to just have everyone show up and start racing right away hoping for chaos so they can steal points where they otherwise wouldn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My guess is that Guenther knows Haas is horrible with setups and tweaking the car, so Haas’s best chance for success is to just have everyone show up and start racing right away hoping for chaos so they can steal points where they otherwise wouldn’t. 

That and it probably saves them money to not run the car 96hrs of practice during a season

24 races/48hrs of racing/24hrs qualifying 

Surprised Guenther didn’t suggest just dropping Friday all together. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

*except for when the Saudis throw obscene amounts of money at them. 

F2 & F3 are in Oz this weekend, too, but yeah, they typically stay in Europe.

Here's Australia's insane schedule. Best spectator value on the calendar, by miles. Maybe the best in all of motorsport. Can't wait to go someday (hopefully soon). 4 V8SC races. 12 races overall. 4 on Sunday alone, culminating in the GP. 31 total sessions. 

(races in bold)

Thursday, March 30
10.00-10.20 Historic Demonstration
10.30-11.00 Porsche Carrera Cup Practice
11.25-11.55 Supercars Practice 1
12.30-13.00 Porsche Carrera Cup Qualifying
13.15-13.45 Supercars Practice 2
14.45-15.00 Supercars Qualifying 1
15.10-15.25 Supercars Qualifying 2
16.50-17.35 Supercars Race 1
18.00-18.35 Porsche Carrera Cup Race 1

Friday, March 31
8.50-9.35 Formula 3 Free Practice
10.00-10.45 Formula 2 Free Practice
11.40-12.00 Historic Demonstration
12.30-13.30 Formula 1 Free Practice 1
14.00-14.30 Formula 3 Qualifying
14.50-15.25 Supercars Race 2
16.00-17.00 Formula 1 Free Practice 2
17.30-18.00 Formula 2 Qualifying
18.25-18.55 Porsche Carrera Cup Race 2

Saturday, April 1
9.30-9.45 Supercars Qualifying 3
9.55-10.10 Supercars Qualifying 4
11.00-11.40 Formula 3 Sprint Race
12.30-13.30 Formula 1 Free Practice 3
13.40-14.00 Historic Demonstration
14.25-15.10 Formula 2 Sprint Race
16.00-17.00 Formula 1 Qualifying
17.25-17.55 Supercars Race 3
18.25-18.55 Porsche Carrera Cup Race 3

Sunday, April 2
9.05-9.50 Formula 3 Feature Race
10.20-10.50 Supercars Race 4
11.35-12.35 Formula 2 Feature Race
15.00 Australian Grand Prix

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

No reasoning given, as far as I know, but yeah, like with everything else in F1, he'll push it as something to benefit F1 when it's really just something he thinks will benefit his team.

Then you have some fans who actually want sessions eliminated as well. That's really baffling to me. It's not like someone has a gun to their heads, saying 'Watch FP1 or die'. If there's too much content for your schedule, then skip the ones you don't want to see, and STFU before you ruin it for the rest of us who actually like it.

• Hook 'Em 2