Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

uh, what?

Ferrari and Aston aren’t clearly faster. If McLaren keeps their form, then they will be, but they’ve only been clearly faster for one race so far and that track fit McLaren’s car extremely well. But even then, McLaren wouldn’t drop Norris or Piastri for Russell so it wouldn’t matter. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ferrari and Aston aren’t clearly faster. If McLaren keeps their form, then they will be, but they’ve only been clearly faster for one race so far and that track fit McLaren’s car extremely well. But even then, McLaren wouldn’t drop Norris or Piastri for Russell so it wouldn’t matter. 

i misread it as you saying MB was faster than RBR, my bad.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Burt wasn't including Red Bull in the discussion also.  Mercedes is the safest bet in the field to eventually compete with and over take Red Bull.

ahhh ok. TY

interested to see what happens over the rest of this year upgrade wise and what the impact is for those who went over the cap - can't imagine RBR went over it two years in a row, so that has to be some of those midfield teams (3) but watch it be something dumb like Haas going over the cap.

Those kid commentators are impressive AF. Wow. Not their first rodeo, I guess.

7 hours ago, NoName said:

he has half a season to do better, but fuck. imagine doing this bad in that rocket ship.

Checo is through the end of next year. I can see them absolutely paying him to go away.

Too bad that Alonso is signed on a "multi year" deal, he would be very interesting in RBR but don't see a way that happens.

There have also been rumors that Alonso and AM are already in talks to extend that contract.

7 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I mean, he drove right onto the grass and lost it. Not sure rain had anything to do with it.

Yeah, Checo did that all on his own. The rain started right after Checo's red flag ended, iirc.

So McLaren is apparently the second fastest car and might be able to challenge RB at some tracks. That’s a massive jump from 7th fastest car like they were the first 10 races. These ground effect cars seem to be so finicky. If you get everything right, you can jump basically the whole field. 

In the excitement of someone other than Max earning pole... don't overlook that Perez starts 9th.

- Great seeing some competition at the top for pole. 
- I haven't followed that long... but the turnaround at McLaren has to be surprising, right? That team looked BAD at the start of the year.
- Alfa with a great showing. Zhou might be the least talked about person on the grid, but he seems very solid as a driver. 
- DR starting 11th is pretty good for his first showing. I've heard a lot of online talk about how impressed people are with the jump that Tsunoda has made this year. I honestly haven't noticed (correct me if wrong). 
- The format with tire usage seems a bit silly. For the life of me, I don't know why they have to monkey with everything. The regular ol' weekend format is perfect. 

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

- The format with tire usage seems a bit silly. For the life of me, I don't know why they have to monkey with everything. The regular ol' weekend format is perfect. 

Yes, McL has made a big jump.

And yeah, like Martin said, they're doing all this in the namke of sustainability in the form of bringing 2 fewer sets of tires per team to a race weekend (which like a reduction of a couple of spoonfuls of sand in the Sahara when it comes to F1's massive footprint) ... when all they need to do is just reduce the tire number and continue running the same format. And like him, while the Q result was shaken up a bit, I think that's more a result of sloppiness, traffic, etc than the tire compound format.

Re: Danny Ric, P11 or whatever is nice, but the really impressive thing to me is how he outqualified Yuki after only just starting to drive that car yesterday. And Yuki is not slow. Nice weekend so far for Danny.

F1: look, we’re reducing carbon footprint. Using two fewer sets of tires per race.

Also F1: We’re crisscrossing the globe, from Saudi to Australia to Miami to Europe (Imola, Monaco, Spain) back to Canada, back to Europe (Austria)… but don’t worry about that. TWO FEWER TIRE SETS!!!

Oh, and re: McLaren's jump and Merc's improvement, I don't think their form is just a coincidence with the arrival of the new Pirelli tires since Silverstone. Seems like those two teams and maybe a couple of others are suddenly on the upswing while Aston Martin, who previously enjoyed a tire advantage over almost everyone, is suddenly on the downswing relative to the rest. 

• Like 1

I’d rather they mandate all three compounds for the race, but I like the format. Q1 especially had non-stop action and teams running multiple laps. Anything to add some strategy diversity I’m all for. 

If we are lucky, there could be some additional strategy with tire usage in practice and qualifying that is meaningful for the race. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

F1: look, we’re reducing carbon footprint. Using two fewer sets of tires per race.
Also F1: We’re crisscrossing the globe, from Saudi to Australia to Miami to Europe (Imola, Monaco, Spain) back to Canada, back to Europe (Austria)… but don’t worry about that. TWO FEWER TIRE SETS!!!

I applaud F1. Rubber doesn’t grow on trees you know.
  • Haha 3

Oh yeah. Duh. Add Red Bull to the tire thing I posted above.

Alonso: New Pirelli F1 tyres have hurt Aston Martin and Red Bull
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-new-pirelli-f1-tyres-have-hurt-aston-martin-and-red-bull/10498828/

... when the new Pirelli tyres came in Silverstone there are a couple of teams that were struggling more, and a couple of teams that are very happy with the car now.

"It's not only us, I think Red Bull has clearly been hit with those tyres, they've been one-two in every qualifying, one-two in every race, and now they are not even on pole position.

"Checo [Perez] is struggling to be in the top 10. At Silverstone I think Max [Verstappen] was only three seconds in front of Lando [Norris in the race]. So I see things a little bit abnormal since Silverstone."

I’m not sure what the hell is going on at Ferrari. They are just sitting there behind Hamilton.
With no sense of “let’s team up on him and get around”. They are just out for a Sunday stroll.

200.gif

There should have been team orders within lap 2 to let sainz loose on those softs but Ferrari gon’ Ferrari

2 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Hamilton should have started on softs

Perhaps but, as he just said he doesn’t have the pace to get around the McLarens.

Would he have just eaten up his tires at the start and then been a sitting duck for the inevitable?

Sort of like Sainz now getting pressured by Perez after 13 laps.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m not sure what the hell is going on at Ferrari. They are just sitting there behind Hamilton.

With no sense of “let’s team up on him and get around”. They are just out for a Sunday stroll.

Happy Formula 1 GIF by Formula Santander

7 minutes ago, deft said:

There should have been team orders within lap 2 to let sainz loose on those softs but Ferrari gon’ Ferrari

There was no point in making them switch. This track is extremely hard to pass. Cars could pass last year, but it’s much harder to follow this year, and it’s back to more of Monaco without walls like it used to be. Sainz was not going to get past Lewis, so they would’ve had to just swap back again causing them to lose more time.