Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

FIA President warns against 'manipulation' as new team decision timeline set racingnews365.com/fia-president-warns-against-manipulation-as-new-team-decision-timeline-set

I take these comments from Ben Sulayem as “the FIA will be approving a manufacturer entry. Deal with it”.

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem has confirmed F1's governing body will have a "final decision" on prospective new teams in the next "four to six" weeks.

"I hope we can make the announcement next month," Ben Sulayem told Formula.hu.

"We are talking about serious people and we don't want to exclude anyone without a thorough review of the applications we have received.

"We are talking about big names and big money. I think the letter of intent (idea) was the right decision and the contract says that there can be 12 teams in the F1 field.

"Of course, we don't want just any team, we want A teams and we need a car manufacturer: I prefer manufacturers because it would be good for the sport.

"We've taken our time, the FIA team has worked very hard on the letter of intent, we've had meetings with the teams to review their bids and I think we'll have a final decision in four to six weeks."

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Saw an early rumor that Merc, RB and Aston are over last years cost cap.

No surprise after the minor penalty last year. 

If you asked me to guess what teams would be most likely to test the limits of going over the cap, that would be my top 3. If it is Haas, Gene will just pay the fine out of Guenther’s “swear jar” fund. 

3 hours ago, topochico said:

No surprise after the minor penalty last year. 

If you asked me to guess what teams would be most likely to test the limits of going over the cap, that would be my top 3. If it is Haas, Gene will just pay the fine out of Guenther’s “swear jar” fund. 

Haas isn't invested enough to overspend on this shit. 

Yep. It's getting tougher and tougher to be a fan of this traveling circus.

More from loki on autosport, who lives in Vegas and is the go-to fan on the scene for info about the track etc (same guy I quoted re: the Andretti stuff):

More on the shakedown…

It’s only for resorts that didn’t sponsor the race or partner for tickets. Hilton Alara on Harmon paid the fee. In the Post piece they said it was Planet Hollywood but it’s actually a place in the mall that connects to the P-Ho. The mall’s not owned by Caesar’s. The highest profile holdout is Phil Ruffin (T.I., Circus Circus and the money behind Trump Tower Vegas). He’s a hard no and is said to be considering litigation. My guess is F1 will pull back and quietly work something out. He’s not the biggest or close to the most powerful on the Strip but he has the means to make life miserable for FOM and the county. And he’s a big supporter and donor to the governor.

The document is making the rounds now.  It’s pitched as a “marketing opportunity”.  What you get is the right to promote your event as an official F1 viewing party.  That includes using the logos and name to promote your business using the race.  They didn’t specifically say they would block your view but warn it's possible (“nice view ya got, shame if something happened to it”).  As an F1 viewing party they would make every attempt possible to make sure the view was as unobstructed as it could be.  Most don’t have good views anyway and those that do are likely too high for any sort of cover.

Even though it’s only a comparatively small number of places it's set off a firestorm of criticism locally.  The county refers comment to FOM who don't respond.  There will likely be a public docs request regarding any sort of communication.  All the local TV stations and local gossip/industry blogs/sites/etc are on it.  Between the disruption, pricing and this it's some bad PR.  The county and resorts pitched it as all rainbows and unicorns.  It will be for them in the money department.  Not so much for others.  We’ve still got four months until the race.

On the plus side FOM released pics of the LED video wall frame on the paddock building.  Looks like it will be nice.  For the Heineken fans (both of you…) they’re also building the hospitality suite and have released renderings.  Looks nice but for $8k it better be.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just don't see how Vegas will put up with this shit for ten years.  Not the money, which will be substantial (did I answer my own question?), but the general hassle of it all.  I'm guessing they'll be repaving Las Vegas Blvd and the rest of the circuit (public roads) for six months a year, every year?  I do think it will be really cool to see those cars haul ass down the Strip, but sure seems like a lot of heartache for basically three days of action per year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Mittens said:

What fucking clowns.

What about all the flights on final to McCarren with epic views of the race? Are they going to send every major airline in the US a bill, too?

Clown show in a clown city. What did we expect?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Don’t people go to Monaco and hang out on their patios, yachts and roofs and watch the race?

Same with Baku; I seem to recall folks hanging out on the highrise balconies, watching the race.

F1 needs to chill TF out; you're racing in a city, one dominated by highrise hotels and pedestrian traffic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, but like Mittens said, F1 doesn't own the race rights in Monaco like they do in Vegas. You just know that if they did, they'd block the view from that hill somehow. This Vegas fuckery reminds me of COTA moving in and putting T11 right next to Mr. Haywood's quiet, peaceful retirement land, and then COTA boss Bobby Epstein hanging a cover on the fence so nobody camping at Haywood's Hill can see T11.

In a response to an inquiry from the Vegas newspaper, LVGP (technically the promoter, not FOM, but owned by Liberty and funded with F1 money) has confirmed sending the shakedown “licensing information” to businesses on the Strip.  They didn’t specifically say they would block your view but warn that it's 'possible'

“Nice view ya got. Shame if something happened to it, eh Guido? Fuck you. Pay me”.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friendly reminder of a bit different schedule this weekend:

FP1 Friday July 28 06:30am Central

Qualifying Friday July 28 10:00am Central

Sprint Shootout Saturday July 29 05:00am Central

Sprint Race Saturday  Saturday July 29 09:30am Central

Grand Prix Sunday July 30 08:00am Central

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

A little rain is good for a race like that.

A rain-out is... unacceptable.

we are at 2 racers dying at Spa in wet conditions in the last 4 years. Anthoine Hubert and Dilano van't Hoff.

rain at Spa is not good for anyone.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

we are at 2 racers dying at Spa in wet conditions in the last 4 years. Anthoine Hubert and Dilano van't Hoff.

rain at Spa is not good for anyone.

I don’t think there were any wet conditions when Hubert crashed. I remember seeing the video, and I’m pretty sure it was sunny and dry. 

• Like 1

Yeah the weather was good in that one. The bigger problem at Raidillon and the Kemmel Straight is the way the wrecked cars so often carom back on track on a blind, high-speed exit. I love that complex of turns, but F1 and some other cars can just take it too fast now. I probably wouldn't have said so 10 years ago, but I think it's time to change it.

8 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I believe that is exactly what happened to the driver at Spa a few weeks ago.  He ended up sideways in the middle of the track and was hit a full speed in the rain.

Right. In that one iirc the spray kept the drivers behind from seeing him in time to avoid him. This is likely going to be a talking point among F1 drivers again this weekend. They said a few weeks ago that they've been asking for changes there for years, but they just get lip service in return and nothing significant is happening.

IIRC Alonso said that when it rains now it's not like before, where you could still see. He said the spray from the underside of the cars (the ground effect) just blinds you.

Edited by wood

Manufacturer To Replace Smashed Verstappen Trophy | F1 News https://f1chronicle.com/manufacturer-to-replace-smashed-verstappen-trophy/?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=F1Chronicle2023%2Fmagazine%2FF1+Chronicle

Lando Norris apologises to makers of Max Verstappen's smashed trophy, and regrets joking  https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1032127/1/i-do-feel-bad-norris-apologises-breaking-verstappens-trophy 

Alonso re: the Alpine/AM switch. Wow. Well done, Alpine:

“Last year was quite a stressful Grand Prix here [Hungary] in terms of emotions, with that offer from Lawrence [Stroll],” he is reported as having told NextGen in an interview. “But yes, it was a good decision, a lucky decision and I’m glad I made it. In fact, it wasn’t a choice, because I didn’t receive any concrete offer from Alpine. Just words. If I’d had an offer from Alpine at the start of the year, I would have signed it, that’s for sure. But I only had one offer and I accepted it.

“At Alpine, last year, I would have signed up. I was more or less happy, but no offer ever came,” Alonso said. “They were always looking for Piastri, for things like that, and as no offer came in the end this one came.  And it was a stroke of luck for my career.”

As for the environment within each team, Alonso revealed that his new surroundings suit him more than the atmosphere he left behind him.

“It’s been a year, a cycle in which we return to Hungary with very good things for everything the change to Aston Martin has meant,” he told AS. “A team with such a good and positive dynamic, with great ambition, a team in which I feel loved after a year or two with Alpine in which I had to row against the current. When you’re in a working environment where you feel valued and respected, as I feel here in Aston, it changes the level of benefit you can give to the team.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-alpine-aston-martin-contract-drama/

Danny made a lot of money on his walkabout and Max turned out to be as good or better than Red Bull hoped he would be so he wouldn't feel slighted this time around.  I think Danny's ego would be able to handle it just fine for the opportunity to drive a fast car again.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think there were any wet conditions when Hubert crashed. I remember seeing the video, and I’m pretty sure it was sunny and dry. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah the weather was good in that one. The bigger problem at Raidillon and the Kemmel Straight is the way the wrecked cars so often carom back on track on a blind, high-speed exit. I love that complex of turns, but F1 and some other cars can just take it too fast now. I probably wouldn't have said so 10 years ago, but I think it's time to change it.

i think i was mixing up Hubert and Jules Bianchi's crash - my bad.

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Danny made a lot of money on his walkabout and Max turned out to be as good or better than Red Bull hoped he would be so he wouldn't feel slighted this time around.  I think Danny's ego would be able to handle it just fine for the opportunity to drive a fast car again.

Yep, with as close as Danny and Max are, and as good as Max has been, I think Danny just wants the opportunity to be in a fast car again and would have no issues with being #2 this go-round.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

idk how anyone can blame the guy for not wanting to be a clear #2 to Max. he left for Renault and became team leader, finished 5th the 2nd year of his contract, smoked Ocon - but leaving Renault for McLaren is a bit more iffy. once again, got paid, went to the team that finishd 3rd in the WCC.

i think his ego took a huge beating after getting smoked so badly by Lando and ending up with his best offer being something like Haas.

which is fine. i love Danny Ric and hope he does great the rest of the year.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Concur

34 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Maybe not so surprising.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

getting rid of the guy who had 34 years (Permane) with the team too...and Binotto back?

reddit had this from Joe Saward's blog (remind me he is or isn't reliable?)

Spoiler

At the same time as Rossi was being moved on, Bruno Famin was being named as the head of Alpine motorsports, but the cynics in F1 think that this may have been a way to create space to hand the entire F1 project to Mattia Binotto.

This might sound odd but Binotto, like de Meo and Krief is a protege of Sergio Marchionne and knows them both from the old days. Binotto was slung out of Ferrari at the end of last year and it was probably significant that six months and a week after he left Maranello, he popped up at the British GP, not saying why he was there…

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

I was just telling my kid yesterday that Otmar is next, and it won;t surprise me if this is all pretext to Alpine/Renault selling the team again.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

getting rid of the guy who had 34 years (Permane) with the team too...and Binotto back?

reddit had this from Joe Saward's blog (remind me he is or isn't reliable?)

Reveal hidden contents

At the same time as Rossi was being moved on, Bruno Famin was being named as the head of Alpine motorsports, but the cynics in F1 think that this may have been a way to create space to hand the entire F1 project to Mattia Binotto.

This might sound odd but Binotto, like de Meo and Krief is a protege of Sergio Marchionne and knows them both from the old days. Binotto was slung out of Ferrari at the end of last year and it was probably significant that six months and a week after he left Maranello, he popped up at the British GP, not saying why he was there…

Joe is not exactly what I would call reliable, though he throws enough shit at the wall that he actually gets something right every once in a while. He acts like everything he says is gospel and is very arrogant about it, but he's wrong far more often than he's right. How that guy has continued getting media credentials year after year is beyond me. It's like he prints every single rumor he hears in the Paddock over a weekend, no matter how likely it is or how credible the source. He's a running joke on Autosport as the guy that team principals use to leak whatever suits them in their skullduggery, because they know he'll print it.

• Hook 'Em 1