Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

first 2/3 of that was about the most boring race ever with carlos playing prevent defense.  last 20 laps were fantastic. 

spanish anthem is nice. 

Yup. Only racing/passing was the first 4 laps on new tires. Yellow at the end saved the day and provided an exciting finish. 

Apparently the cars would melt if they follow at 1 second for a handful of laps. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just watched the onboards for Rus and Ham (didn't see a replay during the race). GR just clipped a wall that juts out there. It's a weird spot for it to stick out, but it's there. He just put it too far to the right trying to go wide as possible for the next turn. Tires weren't an issue in it.

image.png.1708600461e3bb6fbd52dd7ec0e51524.png

image.png.350f3576b492428a5ab992068a8c8e69.png

I’m sure there were reasons for why he was so wide. Tires may have been part of it and he may have thought he had to go wide to make it through. I don’t know. Whatever it was he was on the short end of the stick.

I laughed so hard at Russell going off. I have no idea how he managed that on relatively new mediums at that turn. I think he freaked out because he knew Lewis was faster behind him. George has always struggled in close racing, but this was next level. 
Loved it. Not a fan of George. Loved Sainz's race.

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It’s rather amazing how the Red Bulls didn’t work there. Great work by Mercedes to duck in for new tires there near the end. I was rooting for Sainz to hold on. He seems like a good dude.

It was Martin, I think, who mentioned Russell’s rear tires looking so bad not long before he went off. I’m sure it was a combination of things but, the biggest issue was Hamilton riding his rear bumper.

For how crappy the Red Bulls were Max still got up well into the points, especially after Russell went off.

It was fun. 

I do want so much to swim in that pool on top of the Marina building.

Re: the Bulls, maybe it's the bumps? IDK. Also strange how the AM didn't seem to work at all after shwoing such good race pace.

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I laughed so hard at Russell going off. I have no idea how he managed that on relatively new mediums at that turn. I think he freaked out because he knew Lewis was faster behind him. George has always struggled in close racing, but this was next level. 

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

He had tunnel vision on Lando. Lando hit the wall, then George hit it much worse.

Este. He just followed Lando. Lando survived. George didn't. Fine with me.

• Like 1

Good race, at least at the end. I loved Carlos's clever intentional creation of a DRS train and his terrible "Smooth Operator" rendition on the cooldown. Good for him.

Also, it's crazy how a race that's run in the low 80s is considered F1's hottest race. They even refer to it as 'oppressive heat'. I'm not sure 85F would be considered 'oppressive' even in much of Europe. Lando said he was ready to do it all again. Didn't seem to bother him or anyone else too much afaik.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Levi said:

Fun race with that many competing at the end. Lawson is the real deal. Him and Piastri race like they aren’t even rookies. Yuki gotta be getting nervous. 

why? the last 2 races were DNFs that had zero nothing to do with him.

would be truly shocking they ejected Yuki at the end of the season.

5 hours ago, wood said:

So apparently Alonso's car caught a piece of Williams debris early on that damaged and/or got lodged in his front left suspension. Might explain why the car was such a pig today.

saw a AM Fan twitter account saying it broke his suspension on lap 2?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

why? the last 2 races were DNFs that had zero nothing to do with him.

would be truly shocking they ejected Yuki at the end of the season.

Right, but watching the race on the sidelines as a talented rookie is doing good will put pressure on him. It may not even matter anyway with how things are being handled with Checo. 

The average year round humidity in Singapore is 84%.  I think that's why it feels so hot.  The air feels sticky all the time.  Sort of like summer here in Naples, FL.

Friday was super hot. Saturday was super humid. Sunday was a balance day, not incredibly hot and not super humid.

Over the 3 days I was at the park 8 hours a day on average. I drank lots of beers and margaritas and drank lots of water. I didn’t pee one time. I sweated it all out. That is the difference in Singapore and Austin/Houston. Lol
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Friday was super hot. Saturday was super humid. Sunday was a balance day, not incredibly hot and not super humid.

Over the 3 days I was at the park 8 hours a day on average. I drank lots of beers and margaritas and drank lots of water. I didn’t pee one time. I sweated it all out. That is the difference in Singapore and Austin/Houston. Lol

Don't you care about your teammates?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

saw a AM Fan twitter account saying it broke his suspension on lap 2?

Yeah lap 2. The suspension itself was apparently ok, but a big piece of the suspension fairing was broken and moving around all race. That would suck. When he said the car was undriveable, I wondered at the time if he was saying that in a broad sense (which I thought unlikely) or if there was a problem or some damage caused by something external.

There was a streamble of the damaged fairing moving around, but it looks like it's been taken down.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

Good race, at least at the end. I loved Carlos's clever intentional creation of a DRS train and his terrible "Smooth Operator" rendition on the cooldown. Good for him.

Also, it's crazy how a race that's run in the low 80s is considered F1's hottest race. They even refer to it as 'oppressive heat'. I'm not sure 85F would be considered 'oppressive' even in much of Europe. Lando said he was ready to do it all again. Didn't seem to bother him or anyone else too much afaik.

Hottest I have ever been in my life including this summer was in a jungle in Guatemala.  It was only like 85, but the humidity was crushing.  I sweated though every piece of clothing I had on.  Socks, pants, shirt, hat, you  name it and it was sopping wet.  I imagine Singapore is very similar.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Hottest I have ever been in my life including this summer was in a jungle in Guatemala.  It was only like 85, but the humidity was crushing.  I sweated though every piece of clothing I had on.  Socks, pants, shirt, hat, you  name it and it was sopping wet.  I imagine Singapore is very similar.

Seinfeld': J Peterman Quotes — Cut Monologue Revealed – The Hollywood  Reporter

Elaine, this reminds me of the jungles of Guatemala. Mosquitoes as big as hawks, thick jungle brush, and humidity that would leave you soaked to the core.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Lost in a Guatemalan jungle? With the Urban Sweatsuit from J Peterman, you'll be as dry and comfortable as if you were still in your air conditioned West Side brownstone.  Inspired by the practice of Central American natives who learned that lining their underclothing with shredded palm fronds would wick away sweat and odor.  A patent-pending blend of natural fibers and advanced biopolymers to control moisture while still providing excellent breathability.

AMuS: Tsunoda keeping his seat. Announcement at Suzuka. Danny still most likely to retain his seat over Lawson. Mick still on the outside looking in.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mick-schumacher-f1-ausstieg-wec-alpine-mercedes-simulator/
All as it should be. Mick is quick, but binning cars gets expensive.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
33 minutes ago, wood said:
AMuS: Tsunoda keeping his seat. Announcement at Suzuka. Danny still most likely to retain his seat over Lawson. Mick still on the outside looking in.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mick-schumacher-f1-ausstieg-wec-alpine-mercedes-simulator/

Formula 1 No GIF by Aston Martin F1 Team

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, wood said:

I don’t think Mick is even quick. He looked good compared to Mazepin, but he was consistently beat by KMag who’s now consistently getting beaten by Hulk. Mick would be bottom 5 in pace even if he didn’t have the crashing issues. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think Mick is even quick. He looked good compared to Mazepin, but he was consistently beat by KMag who’s now consistently getting beaten by Hulk. Mick would be bottom 5 in pace even if he didn’t have the crashing issues. 

Yeah I agree. Seems like a nice kid & the kind I wanna root for, but I just don't think he's really an F1 driver anywhere but in a backmarker. 

Stroll has got plenty of time to finish #1.  One more good crash should do it.  I would like to see a list that includes total damage from an incident.  Not just their own car, but the other drivers who crashed because of what they did. 

Edited by kevwun

Yeah I'm not so sure re: Stroll, either. He's never been beaten like this before, and it can't be fun to be the guy everyone knows is  holding the team back, even when your old man owns it. It might even be worse when your self-made billionaire old man owns it. I think he's under considerable pressure.  Everyone on the team with an ounce of competitive spirit looks at you like a liability they're saddled with, but of course they're not saying it out loud and are looking for ways to say something positive instead.  Surely he can sense it anyway, though, and I doubt it's a good feeling. He's also endured a lot of hard hits in his career, and this was one of the hardest. That was nasty.

I also think Big Stroll is serious about making Aston a winner. I don't think it's the same now as we thought it was before, with him buying FI just to give Lance a seat. Owning a manufacturer team is a different beast and comes with serious pressures of its own. Everyone is looking to him for the success of this team, and he's pouring a shit-ton of money into its future with all the new facilities, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, wood said:

I also think Big Stroll is serious about making Aston a winner.

I agree. I've always seen him as kind of a cartoon Bond villain, but I am coming around to the opinion that while he is a dick, he is a dick that gets shit done. I am seeing signs of it on the Aston retail side too.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I'm not so sure re: Stroll, either. He's never been beaten like this before, and it can't be fun to be the guy everyone knows is  holding the team back, even when your old man owns it. It might even be worse when your self-made billionaire old man owns it. I think he's under considerable pressure.  Everyone on the team with an ounce of competitive spirit looks at you like a liability they're saddled with, but of course they're not saying it out loud and are looking for ways to say something positive instead.  Surely he can sense it anyway, though, and I doubt it's a good feeling. He's also endured a lot of hard hits in his career, and this was one of the hardest. That was nasty.

I also think Big Stroll is serious about making Aston a winner. I don't think it's the same now as we thought it was before, with him buying FI just to give Lance a seat. Owning a manufacturer team is a different beast and comes with serious pressures of its own. Everyone is looking to him for the success of this team, and he's pouring a shit-ton of money into its future with all the new facilities, etc.

I agree with all this, but I think Lance Stroll will have at least two more years of runway, unless he decides to quit before then. AM is still a small team with bad facilities right now. They won’t see the effects of a lot of their investment and the Honda deal until 2026 when the new regs hit. If Lance is still struggling by the End of the 25 season, I think that’s where his dad will have to make a tough decision. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Re: Stroll, Antonio Lobato tweeted this and later deleted it.

"Lance Stroll will not race in the Japanese Grand Prix, as confirmed by Aston Martin. The aftermath of his severe accident on Saturday in Singapore has forced this decision to be made"

1 minute ago, deft said:

What if Danny doesn’t keep his seat? But then daddy stroll holds lance’s head under water and hires honey badger to drive along side Alonso….and then ocon gets a five second penalty.

It would mean Ocon deserved 20s.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:57 AM, Fastbreak said:

Weather says no rain, but their are super dark clouds and I just took a few drops. 5 hours for it to blow over.

65a0ebd49e3601de70bc287a79631caa.jpg
Post Malone called out the Horns btw. Apparently he is a fan. Seems like a cool dude.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:15 AM, Fastbreak said:

I initially thought you were posting a selfie there. I didn't know who it was and then I had to read again and look up the name. 

Hottest I have ever had, with the humidity, was a June trip through Thailand. It was as if someone threw a bucket of water on you when you stepped outside and then another would follow you with a portable heat lamp. For me, with German and Swedish blood running through my veins, that was rough.

18 hours ago, wood said:

Brandon Scott Jones Reaction GIF by CBS

Finally finished the race.  Great day for Sainz, horrible day for Fred.  And oh boy what a disastrous mistake from George.   

Saw some comments that the first half was boring, but compared to races where Max and RBR get out front, I didn't think so, because we knew Sainz and the Ferrari weren't going to run away like Max and the RBR usually do.  It was a matter of when, not if, the challenges would come.

And Stroll.  Good Lord.  I mean, at this point all we can do is continue to hope and pray he only injures himself.  Because that dude is flat out dangerous behind the wheel of a car, and not in an Iceman-Maverick kind of way.