Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Waited for my kid to get home from work and watched delyed with him. Wow, that was fucking awesome. Yet another master class from Fernando.  Oh, and has Ocon finished yet? LMFAO.

Check out these 2 insta posts.

Video of the finsih:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzR8cg8tZUx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Photo Finish:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzRvzoAtfny/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wood said:

Kudos to both guys for keeping it clean as well. 

Definitely.  I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this is some of Checo's best driving-- being in a photo-finish type race and not making a mistake that cost himself or Fernando or both.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Definitely.  I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this is some of Checo's best driving-- being in a photo-finish type race and not making a mistake that cost himself or Fernando or both.

No shame whatsoever in getting "schooled" by Alonso. 

You know Fred was sitting there muttering, "Too soon, Junior" when Checo passed him.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

No shame whatsoever in getting "schooled" by Alonso. 

You know Fred was sitting there muttering, "Too soon, Junior" when Checo passed him.

Alonso didn't decide he had a chance until Checo went too deep into Turn 1. Perez had him and blew it. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Was really bummed to see Danny get caught up in that mess and end up down a lap to start the race. I don't know why they didn't immediately red flag the race instead of going behind the safety car for a lap.  What are Danny and Piastri supposed to do there?  Stay behind the safety car when they know they have significant damage?

He would have finished somewhere around 6-7 even with the pit lane restart.  That car finally has some pace and it's good to see him driving well.

Loved, loved, loved that last few laps with Fred and Checo.  Alonso still has it.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Was really bummed to see Danny get caught up in that mess and end up down a lap to start the race. I don't know why they didn't immediately red flag the race instead of going behind the safety car for a lap.  What are Danny and Piastri supposed to do there?  Stay behind the safety car when they know they have significant damage?

He would have finished somewhere around 6-7 even with the pit lane restart.  That car finally has some pace and it's good to see him driving well.

Loved, loved, loved that last few laps with Fred and Checo.  Alonso still has it.

I'm starting to think DR goes to the same psychic as LeClerc. Guy just seems to have shit luck.

Anyone heard what will be projected on The Sphere during the F1 race? I was looking at the track layout and it features prominently. I wonder if there is anything cool planned or if they will do team logos, etc. like Bahrain:

Sakhir Tower - Bahrain | Studiodue.com

I am interested too. That sphere actually appeals to me, and I wouldn't mind seeing a concert there. Other than that thing I don't really care about Vegas. The race is looking like the temps will be in the 40's, now that will be interesting.

How some cars are so circuit dependent is always wild to me, Aston was nowhere the last couple of races. Was fucking awesome to see Nando showing off his defensive driving skills yet again. I think I might have to go watch the last laps of the 2005 San Marino GP now...

Bernie breaks it all down ...

THE STRATEGIST: How Alonso held off Perez in a much faster car to seal P3 in Brazil https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.the-strategist-how-alonso-held-off-perez-in-a-much-faster-car-to-seal-p3-in.4pCF1PJoOAk8ei3wu5ZIFE.html

Paywalled, but here, enjoy. Interesting stuff. Bernie's the best, I tell ya. When she talks, I listen and learn.

Aston Martin began the season in impressive form with Fernando Alonso scoring six podiums in the first eight Grands Prix. After a dip in results for the team, the Spaniard was back on the rostrum in Brazil, holding off Sergio Perez in a photo finish after 71 laps to hold on to third place.

This weekend Alonso’s AMR23 certainly looked closer to the impressive pace it showed earlier in the season, but it’s clearly not as quick as the all-conquering Red Bull RB19. So how did Alonso defend that P3 placing from a much stronger car throughout the race in Sao Paulo? Aston Martin’s former Head of Strategy Bernie Collins dives into the data to find out…

READ MORE: ‘I thought the podium was gone’ – Alonso on his thrilling final-lap battle with Perez

Thanks to a well timed run in the final part of qualifying – just before it started to rain – Alonso found himself P4 on the grid in Brazil, his best starting position since Qatar.

With Charles Leclerc crashing on the way to the grid, Alonso effectively gained one position before the race even began, and got ready to take the start with a clear run ahead of him to Turn 1.

A poor launch lost him positions to Lando Norris and Lewis Hamilton, and he lined up P4 again for the red flag restart. From here Alonso quickly overtook Hamilton and ran the majority of the race in P3, crossing the line just a fraction of a second ahead of Perez. So how did he hold off the Mexican in that lightning-quick Red Bull?

Brazil ranks as one of the easier tracks for overtaking and with high tyre degradation, a two or three-stop strategy was the preferred option.

Continue Below

TOP 8 RP.png Race trace chart for top eight drivers in the Sao Paulo GP

The combination of high tyre degradation and a multiple stop race encourages drivers and strategy engineers to stop as close to optimum for overall race time.

Stopping earlier than optimum can result in carrying higher degradation on a stint and therefore making a driver vulnerable to losing positions.

READ MORE: 6 Winners and 5 Losers from Sao Paulo – Who left Interlagos the happiest in the final Sprint weekend of the season?

The majority of the race was run on the soft tyres, with all drivers – aside from Esteban Ocon – completing a two-stop race with two stints on the softs and only a single stint on the medium.

Ocon felt degradation was high enough to complete a three-stop strategy but still only completed a single stint on the mediums. Harder tyres were not preferred as the reduction in degradation came with an even greater penalty in lap time.

Tyre Stints (1).png Tyre stints for the top eight finishers

Alonso’s win over Perez started on the grid with Perez a lowly P9. The Safety Car on the opening lap was triggered with Perez alongside George Russell fighting over P6 and the Mexican asked on the radio if the position should have been his for the restart.

But with Perez trapped for the first stint behind the two Mercedes of Russell and Hamilton, that resulted in an eight second gap to Alonso by Lap 18.

F1 NATION: Verstappen’s latest triumph, Alonso’s podium return and Mercedes’ struggles – our Sao Paulo GP review

On Lap 20 Perez and Red Bull saw an opportunity to over-cut Hamilton due to the warm-up time needed on the medium tyre. However this is not successful as Perez emerged on track behind Hamilton – and it forced Perez into a sub-optimal second stint length on the medium tyre.

Perez angrily asked on radio “Why did we follow them? We should do our race, don’t worry about them!”

Optimal StratRS.png Effect of pit stop lap on total race time at Interlagos

Alonso meanwhile in free air extended his first stint to five laps longer than planned. The more optimum stop lap for the first stop chosen by Aston Martin over the earlier lap chosen by Red Bull is estimated to have cost Perez 0.5s in total race time.

The trace above shows the effect of the stop lap on the total race time. It shows no effect from car pace or tyre management.

READ MORE: Perez found ‘intense’ battle with Alonso ‘super enjoyable’ despite missing out on the podium

In the opening laps of his second stint (on medium tyres) Perez pushed firstly to overtake Hamilton and then to close the gap to Alonso. Whereas Alonso did some tyre management which paid off at the end of the second stint when he was able to open a gap to Perez as the Mexican suffered degradation on the older tyres.

The GPS lap comparison (below) shows Alonso completing lift and coast into Turns 1, 4 and 6 as well as a larger lift off throttle in Turn 11. All of this helped extend his tyre life and reduced degradation.

2023 21 R PER L29 VS R ALO L29  SpaceBase 20231106_221117.png GPS comparison between Perez and Alonso for Lap 29 in Brazil

In the final stint Perez stopped one lap earlier onto used tyres compared to Alonso’s new set.

As Alonso exited the pit lane Perez was 3.8 seconds behind – but much quicker.

Again Alonso spent the first four laps as the gap reduced managing his tyres, reducing the surface temperatures and getting ready for the defence that he knew would be needed against Perez.

ALOvPER.png Lap time comparison for Perez and Alonso in Brazil

Alonso in particular took it easier through Turns 11 and 12 in order to get a good exit from Turn 13 and defend along the start finish straight.

In the opening laps of the stint Perez was around 0.6 seconds a lap faster than Alonso, but the Spaniard was keeping his powder dry ready for the defence – and for his move to re-take the place on the final lap after Perez had managed to get by briefly.

READ MORE > FACTS AND STATS: Verstappen passes Prost on wins, Alonso matches Prost on podiums

So Aston Martin had the luxury of margin to keep to the optimum stint lengths for the tyres, however once again careful tyre management from Alonso – and some fierce defending and typically canny race craft – allowed the veteran Spaniard to keep position over Perez and secure a precious podium for his team.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Once football season starts I have not as much time to follow racing like during summer.

What are you all hearing about expectations for Las Vegas? I have seen a couple videos on the YouTube that people are predicting a complete clusterfuck, from Liberty Media’s arrogance in demanding things be paid for to workers staying home that weekend.

I’ve only been there once, for fewer than 48 hours when I went to look at a car. I didn’t put a penny into a machine. I am not a gambler. I went swimming and to two dinners, as well as to the dealership. I think Vegas is pretty much a horrible place but, to each his own.

I have seen reports that F1 is making them put film on the glass crosswalks to block the views. They also wanted, at first, venues to pay up to $1,500 per person a restaurant, or bar, could fit if there is a chance that someone would be able to see the track.

It just seems, to me, that this will be a complete shit show with trash celebrities and just too much stupid crap.

I guess it won’t be like in the movie Viva Las Vegas. 

13 hours ago, faps said:

I am interested too. That sphere actually appeals to me, and I wouldn't mind seeing a concert there. Other than that thing I don't really care about Vegas. The race is looking like the temps will be in the 40's, now that will be interesting.

How some cars are so circuit dependent is always wild to me, Aston was nowhere the last couple of races. Was fucking awesome to see Nando showing off his defensive driving skills yet again. I think I might have to go watch the last laps of the 2005 San Marino GP now...

Cars certainly vary from track to track, and this year that has been more pronounced it seems, but I'm not sure AM's success in Brazil was track dependent so much as they figured some things out. That was a big jump. They used Austin and Mexico pretty much as test weekends and gathered a shit ton of data for what Alonso called a very deep analysis by the team. When they got to Brazil, they ended the experimentation and put what they had learned to use. They ran a mix of old and new parts, setting aside parts that they hadn't been able to validate as helpful, and keeping the upgrades they have found to be beneficial. We'll see how it goes in Vegas and AD though. The cold temps in Vegas are gonna make for an adventure on the tire front.

• Hook 'Em 1