2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I like :  # 2 Anderson, #12 The tenn qb 

Unless it's Stroud at #2, Texans don't necessarily have to take a QB in the 1st Rd unless they trade in for a late 1st Rd spot to select a QB and get a 5th yr option... 

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I still think Anderson #2, tOSU or Tenn. Tackle #12 and then the Tenn WR.

If that Tenn WR (Hyatt) still available early 2nd, that's likely to be good value.  Hendon Hooker may be considered in Rd 2 as well if he's there.

#Cowboys WR Coach Prince Talking to Jalin Hyatt -“I can run routes...we’ll see.”

Why do someof you feel Anderson is a cant miss prospect? Watch him vs good OTs, he is neutralized. He hustles well and is athletic but >1/2 scks came vs lower league teams. OLs needed to account for other players also. Watch his film vs Texas, Lsu, Tenn. He could not beat their tackles 1on1. Not saying he is a bust but top 5 is a huge stretch imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Why do someof you feel Anderson is a cant miss prospect? Watch him vs good OTs, he is neutralized. He hustles well and is athletic but >1/2 scks came vs lower league teams. OLs needed to account for other players also. Watch his film vs Texas, Lsu, Tenn. He could not beat their tackles 1on1. Not saying he is a bust but top 5 is a huge stretch imo. 

In summary, the 2023 draft class blows and if you hold a top 10 pick this year, sorry!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

You bring up good points.  He does have some areas he needs to get better.  

Anderson seems to have a high floor, but his upside ceiling may not be as high as you would expect for the #2 pick in the Draft.  He's a hard worker that's dependable though, and a great teammate.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-anderson-jr./3200414e-4462-7364-511f-d68d330a6780

Just now, LTtxfan said:

You bring up good points.  He does have some areas he needs to get better.  

Anderson seems to have a high floor, but his upside ceiling may not be as high as you would expect for the #2 pick in the Draft.  He's a hard worker that's dependable though, and a great teammate.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-anderson-jr./3200414e-4462-7364-511f-d68d330a6780

Agree on all your points. he isnt bad, just expect more from top 5 pick. I would trade back if Houston. Much value in Bijan at 12, JSN, 2-3 OT, CBs. Rack up a 1st next year and more 2nd rounders. Many good ILBs, safeties, DTs, of WR falls with value in 2-3 rounds. 

30 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Figure out who you like as QB and pick him #2.... Texans QB depth currently:

Davis Mills, Case Keenum, EJ Perry

To me there is enough difference between guys 1-3 and 4-6 that you can't risk missing one of the top three.

What if you dont like any. Cant waste a #2 overall pick on someone you have graded in 2nd round. Trade or find a QB somewhere else. Trade for a 1 year rental. Make the team better for 2024 when you do draft someone high. 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

#12 The tenn qb 

That's way too high for Hendon Hooker. His value is the late first or second round. His average draft position is around 33.  Under ordinary circumstances, the value of the 12th pick is roughly twice the value of the 33rd pick.

1 hour ago, TheContractor said:

Agree on all your points. he isnt bad, just expect more from top 5 pick. I would trade back if Houston. Much value in Bijan at 12, JSN, 2-3 OT, CBs. Rack up a 1st next year and more 2nd rounders. Many good ILBs, safeties, DTs, of WR falls with value in 2-3 rounds. 

That’s how you end up with busts. Good production at a major level and hard worker will never bust.

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

That's way too high for Hendon Hooker. His value is the late first or second round. His average draft position is around 33.  Under ordinary circumstances, the value of the 12th pick is roughly twice the value of the 33rd pick.

Nobody here or in the media knows a fraction as much about the players as the teams do. Their abilities, character, scheme and roster fit. That’s why I seldom bitch about a pick. Unless the team ignores value. Reaching drives me nuts. Even if a team is drafting a player at an appropriate spot according to their draft board, they must take into account where that player might fall on the other 31 teams’ boards and maneuver accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He offers an interesting scenario that if Wilson slips, Texans could go Anderson/Wilson and DL goes from a weakness to a super strength. 

Still need a QB and WR though. 

If that were to play out they should go the full nine and take Mazi Smith in the 2nd round to anchor the middle. Brand new, high-ceiling DL on rookie deals for (at least) the next four years…

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

What if you dont like any. Cant waste a #2 overall pick on someone you have graded in 2nd round. Trade or find a QB somewhere else. Trade for a 1 year rental. Make the team better for 2024 when you do draft someone high. 

True enough, I just see other teams grabbing them early and the Texans looking back going why didn't we have them rated higher when one or more of them pan out. Be shocked if 3 or more Qbs aren't taken in first 10 picks.

Trade down and stack the fuck out of picks, draft defense and OL.

Suck again but grab your offensive skill players next couple drafts when you have team of big uglies that are experienced. 

I don't see why teams are so quick to get QBs and WRs when they suck. Get offensive linemen so you can run the fucking ball and get a defense so you can get a stop when you need it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

True enough, I just see other teams grabbing them early and the Texans looking back going why didn't we have them rated higher when one or more of them pan out. Be shocked if 3 or more Qbs aren't taken in first 10 picks.

There will be at least 2 QBs in top5 and likely 3 i top 10 but thats isnt always the right decision. If you arnt sure on a QB, i dont think its worth drafting him just bc its the most important position. Draft someone better, who you think will be a really good nfl player,will help you team and get your QB another place another time another way. 

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Trade down and stack the fuck out of picks, draft defense and OL.

Suck again but grab your offensive skill players next couple drafts when you have team of big uglies that are experienced. 

I don't see why teams are so quick to get QBs and WRs when they suck. Get offensive linemen so you can run the fucking ball and get a defense so you can get a stop when you need it. 

I agree with this way of doing a draft. When you suck like the texans, they need 17+ starting positions, draft an all pro at any of those positions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Figure out who you like as QB and pick him #2.... Texans QB depth currently:

Davis Mills, Case Keenum, EJ Perry

To me there is enough difference between guys 1-3 and 4-6 that you can't risk missing one of the top three.

But why? None of the QBs are good. Why waste a pick on a team with very little talent on a guy you will likely be replacing in 3-4 years. Just because QB is a need doesn't mean you waste a pick to get it. There is plenty of value at the position on the 2nd and 3rd days when you have multiple picks you can use to take a flier. You can't take a chance on one of the first three picks. The Texans should be considering players with the high floors, because they need all three to be starters next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You also have to consider the talent on other teams compared to the Texans. If the Texans had a good OL and skill talent, they could take a chance on the QB.  The Texans are shit at both, so you are setting up a young QB for absolute failure where other teams are not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But why? None of the QBs are good. Why waste a pick on a team with very little talent on a guy you will likely be replacing in 3-4 years. Just because QB is a need doesn't mean you waste a pick to get it. There is plenty of value at the position on the 2nd and 3rd days when you have multiple picks you can use to take a flier. You can't take a chance on one of the first three picks. The Texans should be considering players with the high floors, because they need all three to be starters next year.

Yeah, I'm in the camp that both Young and Stroud are guys who don't suck so definitely weighs on my thoughts.

33 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Will have to disagree on good production in college and high effort will lead to NFL success. 

A friend of mine who was friends with Kenneth Sims and played in the NFL for a number of years said, "In the NFL, everyone is a great athlete. What separates players is their work ethic." It makes a lot of sense. Do drugs, don't study the playbook or your opponent, skip leg day and get nowhere. Focus on football and you will succeed.

Don't remember exactly who I heard say this, great commentary that Texans might tilt their draft heavy on defensive and line of scrimmage players.  Put more focus on improving the offensive roster next year.  

(Might have been Daniel Jeremiah who said it)

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

If we took Anderson at #2 I’d be fine with Richardson at #12. There, I said it….

Florida fan here, Richardson has all the talent in the world but is maybe 3 years of good coaching away from being an average NFL passer. He's just inaccurate and indecisive, hope I'm wrong but I never saw anything more than a great runner and good character from him. He's a playmaker, but not a good passer. When the windows get even tighter I think he will really struggle.