2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

7 minutes ago, APMP said:

The S2 thing screams smokescreen to me. I'm not a football mind, but I watch enough to have an opinion, and [Ohio St QB since 2010] can sling it. Accurately [all except Cardale Jones]. To any place on the field. Who knows, maybe this is a post that'll get quoted and thrown back in my face. But to me it has to be Stroud if Bryce is gone.

FIFY. But I don’t really give a shit until they show they’ve overcome being idiots, at least on the BoB/Easterby level of idiocy. My personal preference rank for #2 is:

1. Trade down with Stroud-loving team for great assets

2. Pick Will Anderson

3. Trade down a couple spots and get something less than amazing

4. Pick Stroud or Levis, coin flip

5. Pick Tyree Wilson (frequently injured and missed games, couldn’t even make combine or Tech pro day)

These morons will pick Wilson or Levis.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, horn4life said:

I think that as fucked up as the Texans are why NOT get Bijan?  Just to excite a fan base that assumes a big #2 is what is to be expected.  

At least you could sell some tickets and merch, and know you are gonna have a player that the KIDS are gonna want to watch.  I don't know why I am even considering or much less hoping the Texans will draft Bijan.  Fucking Dallas will draft him and for once in about 3 decades Jerry will have made a really smart decision, and our suffering will continue.

I guess I can pretend there is hope... like an Aggie in September....

Fuck him wasting away on the shit fest that is the Texans. Fuck everything about the Texans. I'd rather he go to Philly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

Fuck him wasting away on the shit fest that is the Texans. Fuck everything about the Texans. I'd rather he go to Philly. 

I honestly think he could be the beginning of something positive happening in Houston.  Of course that won't happen.  And yes it is true that the words Houston and NFL when combined together mean everlasting emotional pain...

On 4/23/2023 at 10:42 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

5. Pick Tyree Wilson (frequently injured and missed games, couldn’t even make combine or Tech pro day) These morons will pick Wilson or Levis.

Yeah, I really don't get all the NFL Draft analysts love for Tyree... just seems like a bust to me 🙄

• Like 1

If Houston isn’t sold on any of the top QBs at 2, then swap with Indy at 4 for their 2nd at least. Take Anderson. Then do what you want in the rest.
On the other hand, if you were dumb in your QB evaluation, you just set up a division rival with a franchise QB... wonder how many front offices would actually stick their neck out like that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

ESPN had a 7 round mock today.

Texans took

#2 - Anderson

#12 - JSN

#33 - Drew Sanders

#65 - Jaren Hall

#73 - Clark Phillips III

I would be thrilled if that was our 1st 3 rounds.

I like either the center from Minnesota or Jack Campbell from Iowa over Sanders, but he wouldn’t be a bad pick. I’d be happy with the haul above…

No one on the Texans made it to the 2023 Pro Bowl this year and only one player made the Pro Bowl as an alternate. That was Dameon Pierce who had a terrific rookie year at RB.  Add the acquisition of Devin Singletary in the off season and the RB position in Houston is in decent shape.  There are more pressing needs at QB, OL, DL, & WR.  

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If Houston isn’t sold on any of the top QBs at 2, then swap with Indy at 4 for their 2nd at least. Take Anderson. Then do what you want in the rest.

Swap with Seattle for 5, 20, and 123 (4th). If Carter is gone because the Colts don't pick a QB, trade back with the Raiders at 7 for their 3rd (100) and 4th (109) rounders. Hopefully, they'll want to trade up for Levis or Richardson. You'd then be left with (1st) 7 (LV), 12 (HOU), 20 (SEA), (2nd) 33 (HOU), (3rd) 65 (HOU), 73 (HOU), 100 (LV) (4th) 104 (LV), 109 (HOU), and 123 (SEA). Picking up a 1st, a 3rd, and 2 4ths to drop back five slots.

image.png.26fb618d801e3d430f3f02036ebd88c1.png image.png.a0eb6372ec097c75d7b5008a5c05aefb.png

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I read today that the Texans really like Bijan.

Vegas has Houston with the second highest odds to take Bijan, after ATL. On 97.5 today, LZ was confused and thinks neither takes him. Levis is favorite to go #2, but that doesn’t necessarily mean to Houston. 

LZ also said the source of “Houston won’t take Stroud” originated with him and his recent mock draft. He said he has zero information to back that up, and only speculated that the low S2 score might scare off Caserio and Demeco and/or Watson’s agent might be a no-go for Cal McNair. Since Caserio also like high ceiling guys with traits, he mocked Tyree Wilson over Will Anderson as their pick. LZ explained his logic to a couple colleagues at NFLN. One of them talked to Peter King about it still as a theory, and moron King is now blasting it as insider leaked information. LZ didn’t act like he had a lot of respect for King. 

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Peter King said today Texans may take Tyree #2...  WTF

Peter King’s Mock Draft 1-10: Titans trade up for C. J. Stroud | Peter King Podcast | NFL on NBC

Less than 48 hours out and it feels like Stroud. I’m at peace with it. I can’t do Tua 2.0 with Young. We’d hold our collective breaths after every sack. 

Stroud is going to have run more in the NFL. At least well enough to run to pick up first downs on third and medium. 

I hate to go the dark place, but it’s appropriate with this franchise. If they go with Stroud at 2, they must nail the 12th pick. A game changer. I don’t care which position. Somebody that’ll be all pro as a rookie. Bijan would probably be the only player available at 12 that meets that criteria. 

If I’m Stroud’s agent I’m setting up a redo stating there is a problem with the original S2. It’s like taking the SAT; if you fuck up then take it again. This isn’t a test that had some complex logic problem or math equation, it’s football cognition. You can’t fix dumb.

There is a caution flag on all the QBs. Young - size. Stroud - brains. Richardson - rawness. Levis - inconsistency. Henson - hurt and old as fuck. Haener - size.

Trade back a little and take Anderson. If you’re not 100% sold on the QB being a long term starter and might be another Zack Wilson or Trey Lance fucking pass. A number 2 should be a player that will be a near lock Pro Bowler level player that can produce for years.

• Like 1

I don’t think the Texans are looking to add a lot of draft picks with trade-downs. They currently have 12 picks this year and 10 in 2024. The exception would be if they could do a deal for #2 with a team picking no lower than 7.  You could then probably get what’s left of the big 3 DLinemen. Then use some of the draft capital picked up from that trade to move up from 12 and grab the falling QB. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Seems legit.  😆 

LZ said he got called with that question from a Boston media person. Maybe they got it from some bullshit tweet. 

Seems like Belichick does hate him some Mac Jones though and wouldn’t mind him gone after the Matt Patricia OC experiment took some more shine off tattered hoodie man. 

Rumor of the day: #2 pick for Mac Jones, #14 pick, and NE’s 4th rounder
Residual smoke around #33 for Trey Lance. 

giphy.gif

Edit: that was for the Mac Jones talk. I really wouldn’t mind them taking a flyer on Lance. I’m not sure about a second round pick though. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th or something, but they need to fill some holes with that #33 pick.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hate to go the dark place, but it’s appropriate with this franchise. If they go with Stroud at 2, they must nail the 12th pick. A game changer. I don’t care which position. Somebody that’ll be all pro as a rookie. Bijan would probably be the only player available at 12 that meets that criteria. 

I don’t think Bijan is there at 12.

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I don’t think Bijan is there at 12.

LZ said this morning he thinks in his final Mock for nfl.com today he’s going Anderson or Wilson (if Caserio can risk another injured upside player) at #2 and Bijan at #12 if he gets past ATL at 8 and Philly at 10. It would be bad ass. 

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

giphy.gif

This draft could go a lot worse than Will Anderson, Bijan Robinson, and Trey Lance joining the 2023 team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This draft could go a lot worse than Will Anderson, Bijan Robinson, and Trey Lance joining the 2023 team. 

I completely agree and would sign up for the right now. I edited my post to say I do not want Mac Jones…at all.

15 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

610 talking about taking Bijan at #2, and why not do it.

He is the best player in the draft and also has the cleanest projection. If healthy, he will be in Canton.

Saquon Barkley went #2 in 2018.

He will not be there at #12, but there is good chance a QB will be, or close enough that you can trade up to get them, though I still think taking a QB in the 1st round besides Young is a big mistake.

I would look at Van Ness or one of the OL at #12. If Bijan is the pick, then I would be looking to trade Pierce for maybe a late round, or include him in another trade to move up in the draft.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He is the best player in the draft and also has the cleanest projection. If healthy, he will be in Canton.

He will not be there at #12, but there is good chance a QB will be, or close enough that you can trade up to get them, though I still think taking a QB in the 1st round besides Young is a big mistake.

I would look at Van Ness or one of the OL at #12. If Bijan is the pick, then I would be looking to trade Pierce for maybe a late round, or include him in another trade to move up in the draft.

Stevie Wonder Orange GIF by Dominic Grijalva

How many RBs drafted since 2010 (or 2013 if you want to make it an even decade) are Canton-bound? Maybe Derrick Henry if he doesn’t see a production decrease that seems to hit every back his age. Was Saquon Barkley Canton-bound, and regardless, would the NYG draft him over again at #2 if they could do things differently? In this age, Barry Sanders might not have made it to the HOF. Continue on with burnt orange glasses and koolaid. 

Don’t get me wrong, the Texans are predictably dumb and will most likely draft Tyree Wilson (who will later discover his foot injury is worse than advertised and he is never healthy). At this point I’d rather them take Levis than Wilson at #2; but definitely Bijan would be more likely to add production than either. But facts are facts (or unbreakable dogma) in the NFL concerning RBs. I don’t see Bijan going top 10 unless it’s Philly at 10 or someone trying to hop in front of Philly and trading up to #9. There’s decent odds he could be there at #12, and would be safer and better than JSN, Van Ness, or a Clemson needs motivation dude. If Houston gets Bijan, I wouldn’t necessarily shop Pierce given how much the SF fellows like to run the ball. 

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Stevie Wonder Orange GIF by Dominic Grijalva

How many RBs drafted since 2010 (or 2013 if you want to make it an even decade) are Canton-bound? Maybe Derrick Henry if he doesn’t see a production decrease that seems to hit every back his age. Was Saquon Barkley Canton-bound, and regardless, would the NYG draft him over again at #2 if they could do things differently? In this age, Barry Sanders might not have made it to the HOF. Continue on with burnt orange glasses and koolaid. 

Don’t get me wrong, the Texans are predictably dumb and will most likely draft Tyree Wilson (who will later discover his foot injury is worse than advertised and he is never healthy). At this point I’d rather them take Levis than Wilson at #2; but definitely Bijan would be more likely to add production than either. But facts are facts (or unbreakable dogma) in the NFL concerning RBs. I don’t see Bijan going top 10 unless it’s Philly at 10 or someone trying to hop in front of Philly and trading up to #9. There’s decent odds he could be there at #12, and would be safer and better than JSN, Van Ness, or a Clemson needs motivation dude. If Houston gets Bijan, I wouldn’t necessarily shop Pierce given how much the SF fellows like to run the ball. 

Agreed; the Niners ran more two-back sets last year than any team in the league and Pierce has 3 years left on his deal at just over a million per. He’s not going anywhere; Bijan coming on board would only probably increase his YPC by almost a full yard….

I heard the Lance Z recap from this morning:

- Texans like Wilson more than Anderson (dafuq?!), but they’re concerned with Wilson’s foot and Anderson should be the pick at 2.

- Lance also thinks Richardson falls to 12 and the Texans take him there.

- Just for fun, Lance also thinks Bijan will be available at 12.

I could live with Anderson and Richardson in the first. Anderson is the best player in the draft, and Richardson has the highest ceiling of any 2023 QB plus they didn’t give up shit to take him at 12. I hope it works out. 

Just a gut feeling but I bet 1 of the first round grade WRs falls to 33. I hope it’s QJ. Gibbs would also be extremely tempting at the top of the second. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just a gut feeling but I bet 1 of the first round grade WRs falls to 33. I hope it’s QJ. Gibbs would also be extremely tempting at the top of the second. 

Most NFL fans want to draft like it’s Madden and don’t consider roster or scheme fit. Drafting JSN to play slot is redundant if Metchie really is healthy, but all the mouth breather Texans fans want him at #12 because we need a receiver dammit!

LZ has been high on Jalen Hyatt as the best homerun WR prospect of the draft (and the real reason for Tennessee’s and Hooker’s success last season), and he could be there at #33.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I heard the Lance Z recap from this morning:

- Texans like Wilson more than Anderson (dafuq?!), but they’re concerned with Wilson’s foot and Anderson should be the pick at 2.

- Lance also thinks Richardson falls to 12 and the Texans take him there.

- Just for fun, Lance also thinks Bijan will be available at 12.

I could live with Anderson and Richardson in the first. Anderson is the best player in the draft, and Richardson has the highest ceiling of any 2023 QB plus they didn’t give up shit to take him at 12. I hope it works out. 

Thank you for this. I trust Lance more than most. I would be very happy with Anderson and Richardson given the possibilities. 

The pundits are characterizing Wilson vs  Anderson as lower floor/higher ceiling vs visa versa with Wilson as maybe a better scheme fit. The latest mocks are showing a QB or two sliding, opening the possibility of a Wilson/Anderson, Stroud/Levis/Richardson 1st round. I think I’d be happy with any of those combinations.