2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

2 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

strong point

I think because of Robinson's ability to play all over the field, he's worth the #12 pick. You can split him out into the slot and keep him on the field with Pierce. I just think Robinson will put up Marshall Faulk type numbers and the Texans will be a running team with the zone scheme.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think because of Robinson's ability to play all over the field, he's worth the #12 pick. You can split him out into the slot and keep him on the field with Pierce. I just think Robinson will put up Marshall Faulk type numbers and the Texans will be a running team with the zone scheme.

This

Except I don't think any draft experts have Bijan drafted before the 15th pick. And the Texans have decent running backs and they are relatively plentiful through FA. Left tackle on the other hand is valued much more and most if not all tackles will still be on the table at 11.

I mostly agree except Bijan is not just a decent running back. You can build a team around him. All of a sudden Davis Mills starts looking awesome because you have an Alvin Kamara running around.

Basically, NFL teams need to lump the few guys like Bijan with wide receivers and not lump him with free agent running backs and jags or power backs grinding out garbage yards.

But I think the Texans are so far removed from winning that stockpiling the lines is probably what they need to do.

8 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

When I feel sad about the state of the Texans I just remember it could be so much worse if one of you goobers saying to draft Anderson or Bijan were running the organization.  

If you think Will Anderson is a bad pick at #2 you’re even dumber than your wife says you are…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

NSIAP...   Continued scuttlebutt that Texans might be shopping the #2 pick.

Texans ‘Open for Business’ to Trade No. 2 Pick

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-nfl-draft-no-2-pick-trade-rumors-nick-caserio

Texans GM’s surprising take on potential trade of No. 2 pick in NFL Draft

https://clutchpoints.com/hexans-news-houston-gms-surprising-take-on-potential-trade-of-no-2-pick-in-nfl-draft

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

If you think Will Anderson is a bad pick at #2 you’re even dumber than your wife says you are…

Yeah, it's not like most draft people have Anderson and Robinson has two of the top 3 prospects in this draft. Why oh why would they Texans not want to somehow get those guys?

I'd be thrilled with that 1st round.  The OL becomes better when you have a back like Bijan, and play action pass becomes a huge weapon in the new offense. That will give whomever is QB a little more time to find someone.   

It's more about salary cap than anything else.  The 12th pick in the draft will make around 5M per year for the next 4 years.  Maybe in 2 years Bijan is Joe Mixon good who makes 10M a year.  Or say we pick Van Ness or JSN who could be Christian Kirk or Arik Amstead good in 2 years who make 18M a year.  With the salary savings of going WR or Edge at 12 you could get a Ryan Jensen quality OLineman.   

Biggest problem with the number 2 pick being a non QB is we are going to be stuck in mediocre purgatory with no chance of getting a decent QB on a value contract

I wonder if they have made that call to SF. Slovak clearly has some history with Lance. He will know the offense. I wouldn’t do it for a 1st round pick, but maybe a 2nd and a 3rd? Couldn’t hurt if they don’t like anyone in this draft. They could let him walk after next year too if he doesn’t play well.

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This morning Schrager on GMFB did his mock 1.0. Has Texans trade with Indy for DeForest Buckner and the 4, which they use on Tyree Wilson, and 12 on Will Levis. I don’t see an interdivision trade.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/peter-schrager-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-texans-trade-out-of-no-2-two-rbs-picked-i

WOOF...  Just not a believer in Tyree

Hope Texans aren't interested in Tyree either.  I doubt Levis is available at 12

3 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

It's more about salary cap than anything else.  The 12th pick in the draft will make around 5M per year for the next 4 years.  Maybe in 2 years Bijan is Joe Mixon good who makes 10M a year.  Or say we pick Van Ness or JSN who could be Christian Kirk or Arik Amstead good in 2 years who make 18M a year.  With the salary savings of going WR or Edge at 12 you could get a Ryan Jensen quality OLineman.   

Biggest problem with the number 2 pick being a non QB is we are going to be stuck in mediocre purgatory with no chance of getting a decent QB on a value contract

Thanks.  Your post made me wonder how salary cap affects draft selections in different rounds.

Is there a ranking from most to least expensive positions in the NFL?? 

Guessing QB, Edge and CB are most expensive -- maybe RBs are least expensive?

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

I think Trey Lance could be that option. Still some risk there obviously but if they aren't sold on anyone buy Young in the draft, might as well use there 1st round picks on some other key pieces.
I wonder if they have made that call to SF. Slovak clearly has some history with Lance. He will know the offense. I wouldn’t do it for a 1st round pick, but maybe a 2nd and a 3rd? Couldn’t hurt if they don’t like anyone in this draft. They could let him walk after next year too if he doesn’t play well.
Didn't they spend 2 1st rounders on him? They probably want at least one back.

Understood, but what leverage do they have to get a 1st rounder for him? He’s played 4 games I think and is coming off a pretty significant injury. He’s going into his 3rd year in the league and nobody really knows if he can play or not.

• Like 1

All draft pick salaries are slotted from 1 to Mr irrelevant. It doesn’t matter your position. Last year Stingley got $38 mill at 3. Same salary were he a QB a Tackle or a holder. Purdy got a contract as the last player drafted for about $2.5m. That’s why there’s no rookie holdouts anymore.

1st round picks are usually fully guaranteed. 4 years with a fifth year option. Cannot be renegotiated until the end hence extensions. 2nd and down are four year no option.

I don’t get the issues of a franchise tag. It is usually used on only about 8 players a year out of over 2000 players.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks.  Your post made me wonder how salary cap affects draft selections in different rounds.

Is there a ranking from most to least expensive positions in the NFL?? 

Guessing QB, Edge and CB are most expensive -- maybe RBs are least expensive?

I don't think it affects draft picks in the 3rd+ rounds, but it's definitely does in the 1st and maybe some in the 2nd.  RBs are the least expensive in the league along with safeties and LBs I think.

With the latest WR deals those are up there now as well.  QB, Edge, WR, CB, LT would be my guess.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This morning Schrager on GMFB did his mock 1.0. Has Texans trade with Indy for DeForest Buckner and the 4, which they use on Tyree Wilson, and 12 on Will Levis. I don’t see an interdivision trade.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/peter-schrager-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-texans-trade-out-of-no-2-two-rbs-picked-i

I don’t see a trade within the division either and I wouldn’t take Levi’s at 12, but as much as I like Anderson I’d probably jump all over that trade. DeFo is an instant upgrade of one DL spot from mediocre to All Pro in exchange for dropping down 2 spots…

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I want what’s best for Bijan. The Texans ain’t it. I hope he ends up in Philly at 10. Those nut jobs will build him a statue if he makes 4+ Pro Bowls. 

John McClain was saying this morning that Robinson to Detroit.  And that he would win “Rookie of the year.”

And the Texans would be dumb not to take him.

I want what’s best for Bijan. The Texans ain’t it. I hope he ends up in Philly at 10. Those nut jobs will build him a statue if he makes 4+ Pro Bowls. 

This pick makes a ton of sense. You just resigned hurts, give him a big time RB 

On 4/18/2023 at 7:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

I've run trade scenarios with the Colts (4), Seahawks (5), and Raiders (7) over and over again [ Draft Simulator ]. Far and away the best return for me insofar as impact players is with Seattle. If you can live with Jalen Carter at 5 and convince the Seahawks to throw in the 20th pick, perhaps more, it's a clear winner. The simulator is fun. Give it a try. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think that as fucked up as the Texans are why NOT get Bijan?  Just to excite a fan base that assumes a big #2 is what is to be expected.  

At least you could sell some tickets and merch, and know you are gonna have a player that the KIDS are gonna want to watch.  I don't know why I am even considering or much less hoping the Texans will draft Bijan.  Fucking Dallas will draft him and for once in about 3 decades Jerry will have made a really smart decision, and our suffering will continue.

I guess I can pretend there is hope... like an Aggie in September....

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

H4L.  These are my points too.

Get him at #2 (Earl went #1/#Ricky #5), and get Hooker at #12.

Then go all D. (Or a WR at one spot)

Are you Hendon Hooker’s agent?

Just kidding, not even his agent sees anyone drafting him that high. Dude’s not going to see the end of his second contract because he’ll hit retirement age before then….

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Are you Hendon Hooker’s agent?

Just kidding, not even his agent sees anyone drafting him that high. Dude’s not going to see the end of his second contract because he’ll hit retirement age before then….

Yeah, isn't Hooker projected for 3rd Rd??

Btw... Hooker turned 25 in January

If they had signed Minshew it removes all nearly all of the pressure and DeMeco could just go best available for the first 3 rounds. Nope. Signed Keenum to lock in Matt Thomas' season tickets, and here we are debating this bullshit. 

Just give me something more interesting to watch than church on Sundays Texans. That's my baseline expectation. 

If they had signed Minshew it removes all nearly all of the pressure and DeMeco could just go best available for the first 3 rounds. Nope. Signed Keenum to lock in Matt Thomas' season tickets, and here we are debating this bullshit. 

Just give me something more interesting to watch than church on Sundays Texans. That's my baseline expectation. 

If you watch to see how they're going to lose, it becomes pretty interesting.  I've been doing it for 20 years...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rip76 said:

H4L.  These are my points too.

Get him at #2 (Earl went #1/#Ricky #5), and get Hooker at #12.

Then go all D. (Or a WR at one spot)

My dream scenario would be to trade down and and find a way to get an edge rusher and Bijan.  And maybe get a an extra second rounder for dropping down a spot or two.  QB is a need for sure for the Texans, but I think with the addition of Bijan and an edge rusher would help the team as much as a rookie QB.  Anyhow the good news is I am expecting the team to drop a deuce.  But maybe I will re-watch "Draft Day" to see how a smart GM in an imaginary world would make my dreams come true... 😉

I think you might be able to pick up a capable but not earth shattering QB like the Stanford kid in the second round who could look pretty good with Bijan's legs and HANDS!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If the difference in quality between Minshew and Keenum is the only thing standing between you and watching church on Sundays, you might as well go ahead and get you some of that old-time religion….

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, APMP said:

The last two weeks have been insane. There should be no debate...Stroud has to be the pick if Bryce goes #1. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Apparently Stroud scored an 18/100 on the S2 sports real time cognitive test, while most of the other QBs were above 70. Unfortunately for him it fits the narrative that Ohio St QBs put up stats due to the system and having superior WRs playing against Big10 DBs. His Georgia game may have been an outlier more than turning the corner, and/or Ryan Day and staff had an amazing game plan and Stroud threw where they told him. 

I wouldn’t take any of them (beside Young) at #2, but would take Stroud or Levi’s at #12 (or 8-11 if the trade up from 12 didn’t cost much). Would not take “AR15” or Hooker in the first round. The Texans roster is still so devoid of talent, they need players that could be great but have a high floor with their first rounders. Aggy guard has not met that standard, and they only have 2 more Cleveland picks left to help jump start the rebuild. 

Apparently Stroud scored an 18/100 on the S2 sports real time cognitive test, while most of the other QBs were above 70. Unfortunately for him it fits the narrative that Ohio St QBs put up stats due to the system and having superior WRs playing against Big10 DBs. His Georgia game may have been an outlier more than turning the corner, and/or Ryan Day and staff had an amazing game plan and Stroud threw where they told him. 

I wouldn’t take any of them (beside Young) at #2, but would take Stroud or Levi’s at #12 (or 8-11 if the trade up from 12 didn’t cost much). Would not take “AR15” or Hooker in the first round. The Texans roster is still so devoid of talent, they need players that could be great but have a high floor with their first rounders. Aggy guard has not met that standard, and they only have 2 more Cleveland picks left to help jump start the rebuild. 
The S2 thing screams smokescreen to me. I'm not a football mind, but I watch enough to have an opinion, and Stroud can sling it. Accurately. To any place on the field. Who knows, maybe this is a post that'll get quoted and thrown back in my face. But to me it has to be Stroud if Bryce is gone.